HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Downie could have been a Leaf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
  #76
mcleex
Registered User
 
mcleex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Didn't Downie try to start **** that one game with Phaneuf and went after him,
maybe Burke didn't get him because of that they might hate each other and cause tension in the room.. I dunno

also Ashton isn't very impressive, if he turns out to be good 2-3 years down the road then I'll gladly eat my own words, but right now he doesn't look like he will amount to much

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
  #77
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
And boy am I ever glad he isn't.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
  #78
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Didn't Downie try to start **** that one game with Phaneuf and went after him,
maybe Burke didn't get him because of that they might hate each other and cause tension in the room.. I dunno

also Ashton isn't very impressive, if he turns out to be good 2-3 years down the road then I'll gladly eat my own words, but right now he doesn't look like he will amount to much
he does everything that is expected of him and if and when he brings out his offense out. he can be someone very very good for us.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:02 PM
  #79
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
he does everything that is expected of him and if and when he brings out his offense out. he can be someone very very good for us.
There are similarities between him and Tucker.

They are guys that you hate to play against, and they get right under your skin, but they are the guys you love to play with.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
  #80
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
There are similarities between him and Tucker.

They are guys that you hate to play against, and they get right under your skin, but they are the guys you love to play with.
Tucker was way more devilish than Ashton imo. Ashton plays with a chip on his shoulder for sure but he isn't a Tucker. Ashton at one point of his draft time was called the premier powerforward of his draft year and I think if we cushion him to get that offense out in the Pro, he can be someone very good for us.

He needs to find that consistently offensive in the pro leagues.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
  #81
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
I think history will show we lost the Aulie trade, still have a feeling that kid becomes a real solid D man in this league.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
  #82
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Thank you for getting to the core of my argument.

Could have used Aulie this off-season in a package to acquire those team needs.

Can't/won't do that with Ashton. We can debate Aulie's relative value with Ashton all we want, but the simple fact of the matter is Ashton isn't going to be traded, while Aulie could have been this off-season
I'm glad you are so sure that Burke didn't look at this option before trading Aullie. Which franchise are you referring to exactly that Aullie could have been used to be traded? Getzlaf? Don't you think Burke checked out every avenue during this past season?

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
  #83
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,474
vCash: 500
Steve Downie is probably one of the biggest rats, if not the biggest rat currently playing in the NHL.

He's been a problem child since junior, and continues his stupidity to this day (to a lesser extent).


Downie jumped Guelph captain Mike Mclean in junior because Mclean refused to fight during a blowout win for Guelph (suspension unknown):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4Rk...3CDC108B83632E

Downie gets suspended by team for 5 games due to this incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMDWuepG7Y

The complete story is basically that Downie cross checked Akim Aliu in the face (knocking 3 teeth out) and then proceeding to fight him. The reason for this is because Aliu refused to be "hazed" by Downie, as Downie demanded that Aliu stand naked in a bus bathroom with other rookies. Downie was the told to go through professional councelling.

Instead of making an apologie, Downie then requests a trade from Windsor.


Downie Gets A Well Deserved 20 Game Suspension for hit on McAmmond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322zqTkL0-c

Downie gets another 20 Game Suspension for slash on Ref:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgR7gJBGfk



The kid is 24 and is one of the least respected players around the NHL, and IS one of those "rats" Burke constantly talks about.

Just because Downie was "offered" according to Cox doesn't mean Burke should have taken it due to the fact that Downie is effective on the ice, but counter productive off of the ice.


Last edited by ChuckWoods: 04-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.
ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
  #84
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,445
vCash: 500
Thank you chuck!

Also please post any new intel in the speculation thread man!

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
  #85
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
I'm glad you are so sure that Burke didn't look at this option before trading Aullie. Which franchise are you referring to exactly that Aullie could have been used to be traded? Getzlaf? Don't you think Burke checked out every avenue during this past season?
What I know is:

We need to trade for key pieces.

Aulie was a tradeable asset.

Instead of trading him for key pieces, we traded him for a player that might be very good for us, but not for a year or two.

So yeah - I didn't like the trade then, and I don't like the trade now.

Would you rather trade Aulie for a prospect, or trade him in a package to land a goaltender/center?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
  #86
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
What I know is:

We need to trade for key pieces.

Aulie was a tradeable asset.

Instead of trading him for key pieces, we traded him for a player that might be very good for us, but not for a year or two.

So yeah - I didn't like the trade then, and I don't like the trade now.

Would you rather trade Aulie for a prospect, or trade him in a package to land a goaltender/center?
The bolded is what I would have liked to trade Aulie for. Read my previous comment again though.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
  #87
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,572
vCash: 500
Fellow Leafers really wanted a psycho like Downie over Ashton? It's not fair to compare Downie/Ashton right now...but I'm pretty sure Downie and Phaneuf (who's one of the most arrogent players in the league - which is why he gets all the hate on for him) would not mesh. It wouldn't work. We need a great locker enviroment if we are going to win , and win in the playoffs.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
  #88
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,980
vCash: 133
I know a girl that Downie spit on at a Unionville bar. Real nice guy he is.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:30 PM
  #89
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
The bolded is what I would have liked to trade Aulie for. Read my previous comment again though.
Cheers. I had another read, apologies.

On the issue of whether Burke checked or not - I'm sure he did, but the landscape changes so dramatically after the playoffs. I'm not saying there's a team that is going to move a center if they get bumped from the playoffs.

What I'm saying is that there is no way to be sure of what options were available to Burke, and as a result no way for him (or us) to know whether a package involving Aulie could have landed the more striking needs this team needs.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
  #90
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I think history will show we lost the Aulie trade, still have a feeling that kid becomes a real solid D man in this league.
I think he'll be someone solid but if we get the best out of Ashton, I think it will be a win win situation.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
  #91
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Cheers. I had another read, apologies.

On the issue of whether Burke checked or not - I'm sure he did, but the landscape changes so dramatically after the playoffs. I'm not saying there's a team that is going to move a center if they get bumped from the playoffs.

What I'm saying is that there is no way to be sure of what options were available to Burke, and as a result no way for him (or us) to know whether a package involving Aulie could have landed the more striking needs this team needs.
Again, I don't know what centermans/goalies that could have became available you are referring too. They just don't come available all too often. Especially ones that we really need, a number one guy.

Also, as we held onto Aulie, it seemed as his value was depreciating. Frequent stints to the AHL did this. By Burke trading him at this deadline for another one of our immediate needs I don't see how you can have a problem with the deal. Especially when he don't know all the avenues Burke had searched before hand.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
  #92
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Again, I don't know what centermans/goalies that could have became available you are referring too. They just don't come available all too often. Especially ones that we really need, a number one guy.

Also, as we held onto Aulie, it seemed as his value was depreciating. Frequent stints to the AHL did this. By Burke trading him at this deadline for another one of our immediate needs I don't see how you can have a problem with the deal. Especially when he don't know all the avenues Burke had searched before hand.
Because Ashton doesn't = immediate need. (y)

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
  #93
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Because Ashton doesn't = immediate need. (y)
Burke is flipping this team this offseason for size. = immediate need.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
  #94
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,028
vCash: 500
Forget Downie. That's twice he's been traded now, this is not a team player I want in the blue and white. I would rather sign or trade for someone else and bing Ross along...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
  #95
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Burke is flipping this team this offseason for size. = immediate need.
Size we need now. Not in two or three years.

Goaltending = immediate need.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
  #96
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
There are some players you hate to play against, and love to have them on your team. Ex. Chris Neil.


But Downie isn't one of them. I want him nowhere near Leafs.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:02 PM
  #97
Leafs03
Registered User
 
Leafs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto On
Country: Albania
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Burke doesnt like rats
burke doesnt like a lot of stuff..

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
  #98
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Size we need now. Not in two or three years.

Goaltending = immediate need.
He still acquired size for when we'll be an actual CUP contender in two or three years.

EDIT: Also, as I mentioned before, Aulie's value was depreciating.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
  #99
RASHBEEP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
And boy am I ever glad he isn't.
as am i

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
  #100
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think he'll be someone solid but if we get the best out of Ashton, I think it will be a win win situation.
I'd agree with that, but I do think he is more a sure bet as an NHLer. I like Ashton, but Aulie is an easier projection in my mind.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.