HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halischuk, Tootoo, Smith, Yip

Old
04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Shea Weber

vCash: 500
1) Hali - good 2 way player and can score
2) Smith - so much talent
3) Yip - great forechecker/battling on boards
4) Tootoo - nah

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
SilasAdams

1. 24
2. 15
3. 33

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
If one player should be frustrated it should be Wilson, not Tootoo. Not too sure what SK is providing right now that Wilson can't.

Hustlechuk, Tootoo, and Smitty are all part of the matchup game. They'll get their looks.

Yip is, well....not too sure what he is to be honest other than a warm body.
If you compare their season stats SK is better the Wilson in every but 2 categories ( shots and hits). In every other possible categories per game, per minutes on ES Wilson is behind. I don't see what is the argument about. People make assumptions that Wilson will do better, but they can't support it by anything. Smith is even better then Wilson at this point. If you would bench SK. Should be in Smith favor.

I smile at people saying SK is lazy and playing without any desire. Thou he gets put on PK and against top lines every game and manage to compete and be on good side with Trotz ( not easy to do if you are lazy and have bad attitude).

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:22 PM
KapG

Tootoo sure has fallen in favour around here it seems...

Sup with that?

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Legionnaire11

Yip is fine as far as working the boards and not being a liability in the defensive end... but how much does his defensive responsibility help when he takes a minor in every single game. It's always a hooking, interference or roughing, and putting your team down a man for two minutes kinda negates your seven minutes of whatever else you're doing IMO.

If Yip could stay out of the box, he'd be a fantastic 4th liner with nothing to gripe about. I'm pretty sure that other than Tootoo and McGrattan (aka the fighters), Yip takes the most penalties per minutes played by a wide margin.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Yip is fine as far as working the boards and not being a liability in the defensive end... but how much does his defensive responsibility help when he takes a minor in every single game. It's always a hooking, interference or roughing, and putting your team down a man for two minutes kinda negates your seven minutes of whatever else you're doing IMO.

If Yip could stay out of the box, he'd be a fantastic 4th liner with nothing to gripe about. I'm pretty sure that other than Tootoo and McGrattan (aka the fighters), Yip takes the most penalties per minutes played by a wide margin.
Yip took one penalty per 60mins in the regular season. Similar to Smith (1.0), Gaustad (.9), Rads/Erat/Gill (.8) .... in the post season he took fewer penalties per 60 than Halischuk or Josi.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Yip took one penalty per 60mins in the regular season. Similar to Smith (1.0), Gaustad (.9), Rads/Erat/Gill (.8) .... in the post season he took fewer penalties per 60 than Halischuk or Josi.
Not sure what numbers BTN is using (total penalty minutes almost definitely), but just pulling up the stats on NHL.com and doing the math, here are the accurate totals.

Minutes played per minor penalty taken (rounded to even numbers)...

42 - Yip
48 - Tootoo
53 - McGrattan
57 - Gaustad
73 - Smith
73 - S. Kostitsyn
77 - Hillen
83 - Bouillon
83 - Hornqvist
84 - A. Kostitsyn
87 - Gill
87 - Erat
89 - Weber
89 - Radulov
99 - Fisher
111 - Legwand
134 - Spaling
137 - Josi
137 - Halischuk
140 - Suter
183 - Wilson
183 - Bourque
237 - Ellis
658 - Klein

Originally I made my statement on test-of-eye only. Running the numbers just proves my stance on Yip, and he's in fact WORSE than Tootoo and McGrattan on putting the team down a man from minor penalties.

Gaustad's numbers are disappointing to see. But then you get to Smith and you're going another 30 minutes between minor penalties, a 57% improvement over Yip.

Like I said, i'm fine with Yip's play, he does a good job at what he's asked to do. He'd just be a lot more valuable, and justify a regular spot in the lineup if he wasn't always in the box.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
NoNecksCurse

yip with or without the penalties is a waste.. we have enough "battlers on the boards" ... give me some scoring (smith, wilson).. or a pest (tootoo).. and get them off their game.. if one sucks, rotate them out. im fine with yip seeing SOME ice time but I honestly have no clue why he has a spot CEMENTED in the lineup every game

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
yip with or without the penalties is a waste.. we have enough "battlers on the boards" ... give me some scoring (smith, wilson).. or a pest (tootoo).. and get them off their game.. if one sucks, rotate them out. im fine with yip seeing SOME ice time but I honestly have no clue why he has a spot CEMENTED in the lineup every game
well, maybe Trotz just doesn't feel like screwing with whats working... I mean, its kinda hard to improve on 4-1

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Tootoo sure has fallen in favour around here it seems...

Sup with that?
He's just not bringing much to the table as of late. He used to get us some good chances on pure hustle alone. We're not seeing that anymore. Note I'm NOT saying he's lazy - just that what he's doing isn't showing on the scoresheet.

Given enough ice time, I'm sure we'd see Tootoo's game return. However, we can't afford to give him that much ice time when we have guys like Halischuck and Smith who are showing up on the scoresheet or at least showing up with great created chances.

Tootoo also didn't help his cause by whining in the media. You want to stay a fan favorite? Keep your mouth shut, do what coaches tell you and work your butt off.

Last edited by wadesworld: 04-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:00 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I would hope that, if Halischuk is healthy, he plays over Yip. I really liked what Smith brought in Game 5 of the Detroit series and want to see him get another shot, as well.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Halishcuk is in when healthy .... Yip is the first choice for a bigger body to grind away, looks like Smith has the edge for the 2nd choice on behind him.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, maybe Trotz just doesn't feel like screwing with whats working... I mean, its kinda hard to improve on 4-1
yeah I agree with this.

just can't think of what yip has "brought to the table" in his limited TOI.. a forecheck and big body I guess

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote