HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders @New Jersey Devils: 3/14, 7:30PM FSNY,FSNY2-1130AM,660AM

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2006, 10:12 PM
BelovedIsles

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchykg
I know... I tried to sound a little more tongue in cheek. It's really good to see some of these young guys really pulling for each other.
Being in the same boat will do that to you--collectivize...but I like the way this is being built, camraderie-like...doesn't hurt liking each other, right?

Old
03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
blitzkriegs

Folks -

Great game thread! Very informative, truthful - i guess b/c i'm relying on it, and a sprinkle of humor. Too bad I missed this game...

Old
03-14-2006, 11:05 PM
cjdv16

some observations from the meadowlands.....

1. the team came out absolutely fired up.... one player in particular..... ROBERT NILSSON. he first 3 or 4 shifts he made some GREAT passes and his speed really put the devils back on their heals

2. the isles used their speed all night long and their forecheck was excellent. new jersey simply couldn't counter

3. nj (again, clearly not ontop of their game) simply didn't generate many opportunities. look at the shots. it wasn't for lack of trying.... the isles simply swarmed on D and played a great team game

4. Z.... what's wrong with him? any word. his injury occured in the far corner from me and it did not look good.

5. the meadowlands... was 1/2 empty to begin with.... after the 5th isles goal, the rest cleared out. only isles fans were left... it was great.

6. bergenheim... call his goal flukey, but when he went to take the shot, i noticed the puck was on edge. in that split second i thought "hmmm... it could happen". and it did! he and nilsson were tenacious

7. grebs.... was EXCELLENT once again. confident on the puck... some great forechecks and timely pinches. never once broke down in his own zone. i'm REALLY liking this kid.

8. brodeur... simply looks exhausted. i was shocked to see him in net and not clemmenson to start the game. very surprising.

9. ricky.... was sharp when he needed to be

10. goldie..... does this guy miss ANY isles game?!?!?!??!?!

Old
03-14-2006, 11:09 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
4. Z.... what's wrong with him? any word. his injury occured in the far corner from me and it did not look good.
doesn't look good, he might have reinjured his ankle, they taking him in for xrays

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
8. brodeur... simply looks exhausted. i was shocked to see him in net and not clemmenson to start the game. very surprising.
i am worried this will happen to ricky, looking a our next 4 games, i say we play snow on friday(the other 3 are all huge games against atlanta, tampa and montreal)

Old
03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
boredmale

I was just looking at the Time played stat on nhl.com. It looks like the 2 rookies Campoli and Grebs had the most minutes during the game. I am not sure what happened to Bouchard but his time was reduced alot int he third period(probably they felt no reason to play him).

Old
03-15-2006, 12:40 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
OK I promise not to make anymore predictions
Why? Your the reverse good-luck charm, you think they will lose every game and they win. Keep those projected losses coming, it's working.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:49 AM
NYIsles1*

Good gamethread tonight, best I have seen this season.

Outside of Zhitnik's and Asham's injury which are a horrible sidebar
and may cost Zhitnik his season, easily the best game of the season.

Could not take the smile off my face during this game. Cannot remember
a single easy night for this team all year, everything's been a
struggle.

Huge win, fantastic effort. Brad Shaw had his team ready in this game.

How they simply owned this game from beginning to end was astonishing
especially considering the Devils last game where you would have
expected them to come out and dominate. I wanted a sixty minutes
effort, mark down March 15th 2006 because this was the game the New
York Islanders finally gave one and it was remarkable from beginning
to end against a Devils team that had no answers for the Islanders
work ethic.

Tambellini's first goal, Bergenheim's first goal as an Islander this
season, that line with Yashin dominating play and setting up for
quality chances. Yashin takes his shot in the first he get's his
hat-trick. DiPietro's save early set the tone and was incredible.

Bates breaking his scoring slump, Yashin busting out. Did not matter
who was hurt on defense or not, Islanders owned the puck, dominated
all three zones and had fantastic chemistry on defense from the entire
team. This kid Grebeshkov was very sharp with the puck, another good
game from all the defenders in this one and the forwards were winning
the battles and transition was outstanding.

Brodeur was good early in this game, by the third peirod he was done
and simply lost his game on Bates goal.

We'll see what happens from here. A defender is going to have to
come out and perhaps a forward for Asham.

Nights like this make me think this club is going to be ok long-term.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:51 AM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/postgame.asp?id=785

PRETTY DARN PERFECT
Islanders 6, Devils 1

"Ricky playing the way he's playing is the number one reason why
we're playing our best hockey of the season," said Yashin.
"Dad's going to get a call in a little while," said Jeff, referring
to former Islander Cup-winner and current Canucks assistant GM Steve
Tambellini. "I hope he has his cell phone on."

"The young guys always have a smile and they are always playing
hard," Yashin said of his linemates Bergenheim and Robert
Nilsson. "They're fun to be around and fun to play with."

"I think my game is at a good level now," said Bergenheim, who had a
goal and two assists.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Tambellini's first goal, Bergenheim's first goal as an Islander this
season
You forgot Erksine's first goal

One thing i have to say about erksine, is i liek the fact he always shoot the puck low and hard towards the net. Like Campoli, when you do that stuff is bound to happen once in a while, weither it be a goal or a nice rebound. He definantly reminds me of a better version of Eric Cairns(who we were sorely missing in a wierd way earlier this season).

Old
03-15-2006, 01:59 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Great job everyone and it seems there is more interest since the stirling firing and much more positive since the deadline. The day mm quit has turned me completly optomistic.

LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!!!!

Old
03-15-2006, 07:32 AM
crashthenet

Amazing turnaround for Yashin, when Asham is on this line you will not see this type of production, with Bergenhiem there it keeps him out of the corners and in front of the net. The shot off the post was from a good spot as well.
DP looks very much like he did when the team went west last season and he was outstanding.
Grebs is getting big minutes and doesn't look out of place.

Old
03-15-2006, 07:45 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet
Amazing turnaround for Yashin, when Asham is on this line you will not see this type of production, with Bergenhiem there it keeps him out of the corners and in front of the net. The shot off the post was from a good spot as well.
Hopefully when Asham comes back, the Islanders will keep Yashin with Bergenheim and Nilsson. Move Asham to 3rd or 4th line.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Capt Reynolds

You gotta believe

Ok, so it's only been three games since the trade deadline, but they just *happened* to be the best three consecutive games we've played all year. I don't even remember the last time the team played 9 periods of hockey in a row with this much effort and dedication to both ends of the ice.

Another good game by DP. He got tagged by a bad bounce but otherwise stopped everything that game his way. Best of all, he not only had a few highlight reel saves but also made the ones look easy that he was supposed to. Just an all around great game.

Bergie looks better and better each game. This kid is here to stay next year. Congrats on his first of the season!

And speaking of firsts, congratulations to Jeff Tambellini on his first NHL goal! He also has looked better each game and I'm glad he got the monkey off his back with a goal.

Nilsson and Grebs also making a strong statement about sticking around next year.

Well, the playoffs are still an uphill battle, but I revel in that this team certainly is grabbing the bull by the horns. It's going to be an exciting and fun rest of the season if they keep this play up. The playoffs are still a difficult goal to reach, but we're one step closer, and they seem not THAT far off anymore. This is a HUGE week for us, keep it up, guys!

Old
03-15-2006, 09:39 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

5 behind Montreal, 6 behind Tampa, and 8 behind NJ. If we stay hot we WILL get in. There's no doubt in my mind we will be able to catch at least one of those teams, we just have to keep doing our part and their losses will come. Also we are only 2 points behind Atlanta with the game coming up Thursday, so a regulation win will put us into a tie for 9th. Exciting times!

Old
03-15-2006, 10:05 AM
zarathustra1900

Great game tonight...As a Devs fan, we are playing CR@P lately.......great win for "yoos guys..."

DiPietro deserved the shut-out....I don't know what is up this season with you guys...we can't win...

I wasn't confident going in, and am thankful it will be the last time we play the Isles.....

After the trades this season, and especially recently, my confidence in Father Lou is fading this season........

Good game.
ciao.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustra1900
Great game tonight...As a Devs fan, we are playing CR@P lately.......great win for "yoos guys..."

DiPietro deserved the shut-out....I don't know what is up this season with you guys...we can't win...

I wasn't confident going in, and am thankful it will be the last time we play the Isles.....

After the trades this season, and especially recently, my confidence in Father Lou is fading this season........

Good game.
ciao.
I was watching the Devils telecast for this game, and the part where they had the quote of the day or whatever, was really funny. It was basically Lukowich saying the team was looking at the standings and whatnot, and were like, if only we'd been better against the Islanders, we'd be in a much better position. Then they all look at Luko and he just goes "uh, sorry guys."

I'm not sure what it is either, but for some reason we match up against you guys well. Rangers did the same thing to us last season, only worse (they swept the entire season series) and there was a similar discrepancy between the teams there as well.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:11 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchykg
2-0 Awesome!

Did you see Nilsson mob Bergie there? I guess they like each other!
Bergenheim comes from an Swedish speaking family in Finland (about 8% of Finns do), so they have a common language other than English. Maybe thats one factor why they get along well..

Last edited by TK79: 03-15-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old
03-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Capt Reynolds

Thus spake Zarathustra:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustra1900

Good game.
ciao.
Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't get too down on Trader Lou -- the guy's track record for results is more or less second to none. I think this is a transitional year for the Devs, Lou took some missteps IMHO but it's tough to lose your two top Dmen and not falter a bit. He needs to clear himself some cap space and then he'll be able to work his magic again.

Thus spake Joe C.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:36 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Great gamefrom start to finish

Shaw might be the coach we were waiting for all along

Lets go Isles!!!

03-15-2006, 01:24 PM
zarathustra1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
Thus spake Zarathustra:

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't get too down on Trader Lou -- the guy's track record for results is more or less second to none. I think this is a transitional year for the Devs, Lou took some missteps IMHO but it's tough to lose your two top Dmen and not falter a bit. He needs to clear himself some cap space and then he'll be able to work his magic again.

Thus spake Joe C.
Haha...you are very welcome!

When the NHL makes rules changes to stop a D oriented team, what does he do?? ...he gets more D'men....

People are saying audacity, but I am saying borderline stupidity.

Granted we have had an insane SoapOpera of a season, yet although the Devs (little known fact) were the top scorers in 2000 and 2nd or so thereafter, these rule changes effect no other team more than the Devils I think...and I was hoping to see more offensive changes.

*sigh*

Anyway, Islanders were always a great franchise, hope to see a comeback and you guys ride this streak a good while!

ciao from Italy.

Closed Thread