HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Kristo isn't planning on signing with the Habs this year

Old
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Habitant#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
since it's still an ELC, isn't it still limited to CBA maximums?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He won't get any more money from other teams anyways, there's a cap on how much he can sign for. Maybe he'll do that, I doubt it though. And if he does good on him.
Yes salary is capped. There's room to play around with bonuses but they are capped as well.

But for him it'll be about signing with the team with whom he will have the best chance of playing in the NHL. For instance, his odds of cracking the Red Wings roster in the next 3 years is pretty low compared to that of say the Blue Jackets. Also since he will likely need a year or two in the AHL, he might sign with the team that will guarantee him top icetime with their AHL affiliate.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Hamilton is going to be pretty stacked so he might not have gotten the role/ice time he wanted there. He knows he won't be an NHLer this year so he might as well finish his degree then try to make the big club right away.

The only bad thing for the Habs is that its going to be harder to gauge his development and we won't be able to call him up. Bournival, Leblanc and Gallagher amongst others are going to be available to get ice time in case of injuries so thats not a problem.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Universe
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Why was he wearing an Oilers shirt in that interview?
When my buddies friend got drafted by the Islanders, they sent him a boatload of t-shirts to hand out to friends and family so maybe this has something to do with Chris Vande Velde as they both played together for a year.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:36 PM
NewHabsEra*

It would have been nice to have him in Hamilton this year, but there is nothing wrong about his decision to complete his degree..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:43 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Yes salary is capped. There's room to play around with bonuses but they are capped as well.

But for him it'll be about signing with the team with whom he will have the best chance of playing in the NHL. For instance, his odds of cracking the Red Wings roster in the next 3 years is pretty low compared to that of say the Blue Jackets. Also since he will likely need a year or two in the AHL, he might sign with the team that will guarantee him top icetime with their AHL affiliate.
If Danny Kristo wants to sign with the Jackets instead of the Habs because he feels it will be better for his ice time than all the best to him, I'd rather the team move forward with other players anyways.

I don't think that's the case at all and I think Kristo will sign with the Habs next year after his schooling is finished. If not, that's life. No point trading him or anything, his value in a trade isn't worth what that 2nd round pick was at this point in time.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Motion to trade the op and anyone who wants to trade him just because he isn't signing with us this year ?

All agree ?

If you think he'll bring back an asset, or something to improve our team, then let's trade him. Let's not Ryan McDonagh him

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Agree on this, but you have to support him if he really wants to be part of a possible championship run next year at a school he's been at for a couple of years.
I understand what you're saying and it is his right.

The way I look at it is this... I'm not a North Dakota fan (although Kristo and MacMillan play for them). I'm not a Kristo fan. I'm a Habs fan and if I look at his decision from that perspective, I don't feel it's the best for his career. Is it a bit selfish? Most likely. But sometimes as fans, we tend to be that way.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
It shocks me that people can take something like this as a negative.

It's about team. He loves being a part of that squad and wants to try to win it all again while he still can. People say he can go back and finish school later, but I'm pretty sure at 37 when he retires he won't be playing for the hockey team while he finishes his degree, should he decide to do that.

This means he'll be 24 for his first professional season. Big deal, still many years for him to be an NHL'er. If he's a smart player he'll get it, the lost year of "development" isn't going to derail him.

My goodness, there's something wrong in the world when someone is condemned because he wants to complete his commitment to his school as opposed to turning pro early.
- is anyone really "condemning him"?

- it's great for him that he has options, but it's quite evident that, of the two, the most effective option for his professional development is to turn pro.

- as fans of the professional hockey team that owns his rights, it both normal and reasonable for fans of the team to be disappointed that a highly valued asset is prioritizing anything other than his professional hockey development.

it's no knock on him, but it's also fair to point out that his decision reveals an individual who isn't placing his professional hockey career as a #1 priority... to each their own, though I hope that the habs scouting team uses this as a reminder to be diligent in their psych screening of potential draftees. As a company in the business of elite hockey entertainment, screening for individuals who prioritize their hockey development over other goals (degree, NCAA experience, staying close to home -for euro players, or anything else, as reasonable as it may be for the individual) is obviously a smart approach.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

He's going back to school for one main reason. One of the worst teams in the NHL can't give him assurance he will crack their roster in the near future.

He's not ready. Doesn't bode well for his career.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
deandebean

If he wants to stay there, good for him. Some here liked the guy, I always thought he was nothing more than a borderline 4th line a la Pyatt. And he probably knows this. Thus the reason he's staying.

Suspects on this board get great attention, but fact of the matter Kristo hasn't blown away competition at the NCAA level, heck he wasn't even a force at the worlds.

I agree with Habsterix; playing with younger kids in a veerrry sub-quality level of league compared to the pros is not good for his development. But I think he doesn't care, really. He probably knows where he's at in his career, as a potential 4th line scrub.

Not sure he'll be signing with the Habs.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Why was he wearing an Oilers shirt in that interview?
He's an Oilers fan. I remember reading somewhere that Ales Hemsky is his favorite player.

To me his decision is a bit disappointing in the way that I think it pushes back his arrival in the NHL one year later.

I mean it's highly improbable to go from a 40 game schedule in the NCAA straight to an 82 games season in the NHL the year after so I expect him to spend at least 1 season in the A. I think that if he was in the AHL next season, he would push hard for a spot with the big club in 13-14. But with the path he's chosen, he'll probably be in the AHL in 13-14. If we sign him, of course.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
If Danny Kristo wants to sign with the Jackets instead of the Habs because he feels it will be better for his ice time than all the best to him, I'd rather the team move forward with other players anyways.

I don't think that's the case at all and I think Kristo will sign with the Habs next year after his schooling is finished. If not, that's life. No point trading him or anything, his value in a trade isn't worth what that 2nd round pick was at this point in time.
He might feel like signing with the Habs right now, but once this next season is over he'll be weeks away from free agency and it'll be that much more tempting for him to look at his options. And you know that his agent will definitely be pushing for that option as well.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I don't know much about contracts, but if MTL offers him a contract doesn't that count as qualifying him?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I was never big on him, can we trade his rights?
Yes, we can trade his rights. It worked well when we traded McDonagh and people were upset that he wanted to return to Wisconsin but I'm sure it will work out better this time, repeating mistakes is always fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I think 3 years in the NCAA is plenty of time to get stronger
It should be but for Kristo he hasn't, he still needs to fill out and get stronger although with his great wheels it's possible he can overcome his lack of strength at the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
depending on why he chose to go back. Did he do it to be able to become a UFA? Is he willing to sign after his senior year?
Kristo could become a UFA this summer if he wanted to, so returning to the NCAA isn't about becoming a UFA. Everything I heard was that he wants to win a National Championship and wants to sign with the Habs after next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think the Habs have his rights until 08/15/2013
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
No. Because all he wants is become a UFA in 2013 and play for the team he likes or that will give him the fatter contract...
How did you get Kristo to inform you of his future plans? That's pretty cool you talk to him though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Problem is, by getting so close to UFA status, he could choose where he wants to plays and perhaps make some extra money, it will be tempting and he will most likely take the UFA route at that point.
He could choose where he wants to play this summer, since he can opt out before June 1st and become a UFA. Mac Bennett, Colin Sullivan, Mark Millan can all do the same because they played a year outside of the NCAA after being drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
He's going back to school for one main reason. One of the worst teams in the NHL can't give him assurance he will crack their roster in the near future.

So you talked to him to, glad to know he's willing to share his reasons with Hab fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
If he wants to stay there, good for him. Some here liked the guy, I always thought he was nothing more than a borderline 4th line a la Pyatt. And he probably knows this. Thus the reason he's staying.

Suspects on this board get great attention, but fact of the matter Kristo hasn't blown away competition at the NCAA level, heck he wasn't even a force at the worlds.

I agree with Habsterix; playing with younger kids in a veerrry sub-quality level of league compared to the pros is not good for his development. But I think he doesn't care, really. He probably knows where he's at in his career, as a potential 4th line scrub.

Not sure he'll be signing with the Habs.
Really, cause i've seen him play likely over 100 times and Pyatt is the last person I would ever think of when it comes to Kristo. Pyatt is a workhorse while Kristo doesn't give consistent efforts and is at his best when he has the puck in the offensive zone as he wants the puck and with his speed and hands he makes things happen. I don't think he could make it as a 4th liner, he doesn't have much grit and while his speed really helps him in the defensive zone, his game is really much more all about the offensive zone.

Also Kristo was one of the top forwards in the NCAA this year and his line was easily one of the best in the league. Imo he wasn't all that good in his first WJC's but was much better in his 2nd.

Kristo is 21 so he's playing against kids his own age for the most part. In the NCAA there are hardly any 17 year olds, as they are very rare and the current trend is for kids to play a year in the USHL, so many freshman end up being around 19 so he's playing against kids 18 to 24 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't know much about contracts, but if MTL offers him a contract doesn't that count as qualifying him?
Not sure what you mean here, qualifying him for what? Either he signs before august 15th 2013 or we lose his rights. Perhaps you are thinking about Fischer in order to get a comp pick for not signing him, but that's only for 1st rounders.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Hugo Sham

from a hockey perspective i don't like it at all. all he has to do is talk to his good buddy Louis Leblanc who got PRO games this year. kristo is not ready for the challenge? speaks to his characters and maybe his disinterest in playing for habs no matter what he's saying publicly. this guy has 'David Fischer' written on him. and i hope i' m wrong

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

Not. True. he should talk to his friend Louis. habs have never been more thin at forward. he has a chance to get in pro games this year

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
I really hope Kristo dominates the NCAA next year and hit the gym to get stronger for his debut with our organization in two years. He is one of our few forward prospect with top 6 potential.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if the guy is fully commited to our organization. I still remember this questionnable choice of gear in an interview. I do not think we should put too much stock into this but still..
Why does he have Oiler shirt on ?

Anyway how long as this guy benn drafted for 3-4 years ? I doubt he ever amounts to anything...

canadiansbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Not. True. he should talk to his friend Louis. habs have never been more thin at forward. he has a chance to get in pro games this year
Not necessarily true. Habs are going to have more depth in Hamilton next year. The way Gallagher is rising and with Leblanc&Geoffrion being first call-ups I really doubt Kristo would get much of a look. Palushaj should also get another look and Dumont has played well too, he could play a lot of games next year.

We will sign a forward free agent too in order to replace Cammalleri. There is a cruel need for a top6 forward. I'm not necessarily talking about Zach Parise here but I'm sure whoever is in charge is going to find someone.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I remember we used to say Kristo would be a top 9 and hopefully top 6 forward. Has that changed? I remember he had a bad year last year and people were doubtful. Has his statistically stronger year regenerated some of the previous projections for him?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
Why does he have Oiler shirt on ?

Anyway how long as this guy benn drafted for 3-4 years ? I doubt he ever amounts to anything...
Oh My GODDD

Are you kidding me...

So many ignorant and stupid comments in this thread it is mindnumbing.

This is exactly why we need a GM who doesnt succumb to the pressure from fans because our fans have literally zero idea how hockey works. especially the drafting and development of prospects. Suddenly a prospect is a bust if he is not in the NHL immediately after hes drafted.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Oh My GODDD

Are you kidding me...

So many ignorant and stupid comments in this thread it is mindnumbing.

This is exactly why we need a GM who doesnt succumb to the pressure from fans because our fans have literally zero idea how hockey works. especially the drafting and development of prospects. Suddenly a prospect is a bust if he is not in the NHL immediately after hes drafted.
First i know plenty about hockey, second i am not saying he is a bust all i am saying is the i dont think he will be more then 3rd line player with 2nd lie potential but will never really be a force

canadiansbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:52 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
First i know plenty about hockey, second i am not saying he is a bust all i am saying is the i dont think he will be more then 3rd line player with 2nd lie potential but will never really be a force
That's about right. I see Mason Raymond...

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yes, we can trade his rights. It worked well when we traded McDonagh and people were upset that he wanted to return to Wisconsin but I'm sure it will work out better this time, repeating mistakes is always fun to watch.
I was genuinely curious, if it was a play the team could make if necessary. But, using your logic, lets keep him at all costs because he's a sure thing.... because comparing him to McDonagh really fits the discussion here... we won't bring up the other dozen flopped college prospects we drooled about years ago that are playing in the beer league now.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

The next GM better show some patience with prospects such as Kristo.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:00 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
And you expect a 1st line superstar with a mid 2nd round pick?

I don't see how this is any less than his projection when drafted.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote