HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Glove sizing

Old
04-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

vCash: 500
Glove sizing

I'm finding conflicting information on measuring for gloves.

Do you measure from the tip of your middle finger or from the edge of your palm (where your fingers begin)?

I can't seem to find a conclusive source for how the measuring in inches works.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post

Do you measure from the tip of your middle finger or from the edge of your palm (where your fingers begin)?

Measure from top of wrist (where wrist meets hand) to the top of your middle finger. Take that # in inches and X2. For instance, my measurement from top of wrist (bottom of palm) to the top of my middle finger is exactly 7.5". So when i take that # and multiply it by 2 it comes out to 15" which is actually the size gloves I wear (and find most comfortable). I can do a 14 but it tends to be a bit tighter in the fingers then I like, plus I play defense and sometimes grind out a bit of center on the 4th, so I prefer a glove that is easy to shake if necessary.

Heres a good video by Tyson @ IW Hockey:

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post

I've heard Saucy Dangles's method before, but if you're just buying in person, I don't think there's any substitute for trying them on. I'm technically a 14" if I measure properly - and indeed, most 14" gloves feel like the right size - but I tried on a pair of Easton 13" (Reflex? Store brand I think) gloves that, well fit like a glove.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I've heard Saucy Dangles's method before, but if you're just buying in person, I don't think there's any substitute for trying them on. I'm technically a 14" if I measure properly - and indeed, most 14" gloves feel like the right size - but I tried on a pair of Easton 13" (Reflex? Store brand I think) gloves that, well fit like a glove.
This is true. Due to minor differences between manufactures as well as styles of available gloves (contoured/shaped gloves like Vapor Series VS. Traditional 4-5 Roll). Its like anything else you have equipment wise, it is a bit of preference.

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I find even slightly loose fitting gloves can cause blisters and other discomforts. I should be a 13", but went with a tighter jr 12"... Which is awesome because jr gloves are cheaper.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a complete crap shoot. I highly recommend just trying them on in person.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I find even slightly loose fitting gloves can cause blisters and other discomforts. I should be a 13", but went with a tighter jr 12"... Which is awesome because jr gloves are cheaper.
im the same way...i get ripped on for using "jr." gloves, but even a 13'' feels to big...i like my fingers to reach all the way to the tips of the gloves with NO space or else it bugs the crap out of me and i feel like i cant grip the stick

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:49 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
we should make a petition so all manufacturers would use a universal sizing for their products, it's really frustrating especially for guys like me who has to shop online.

i got a 14" supreme one60 gloves from ebay, bought it because it was really cheap and my RBK 8K is 14" too. Turns out that a 14" supreme is waaay bigger than a 14" RBK, now I don't know what to do with it...

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

4-Rolls sometimes I've used 12" in the past, now I'm in 13" Warriors that are a bit closer fit, and I have almost purchased 14" gloves in the past too because they just felt better in that model.

The cut of the palms is so variable that you just have to try them on and see how it works for you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote