HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Huberdeau: Will he make the cut?

Old
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I wonder why everybody is worried about him putting on some weight...

He is already one of the best two-way player in the CHL arguably, one of the most tenacious and he wants to be in the NHL next year...

He was one of our best offensive player in pre-season and one of our best PP performer...

He doesn't have anything left to learn in Junior, except for another great run at a Memorial Cup that will occur this year...

I'll be on this team next year, he is supposed to stand at 176 lbs lately, I don't see how his weight could be a problem ?

He'll compete with Tarasenko for the ROY imo.
You signed with the Panthers! Awesome!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
You signed with the Panthers! Awesome!
DOH !!!

Guess I'll hit the edit button... Thanks buddy... I wish I was as talented as Johnny Huby !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:13 AM
floridashawn

Once season is over (prob another MEM Cup) he will be in South Florida for the entire summer working with team nutritionists/trainers etc. He will gain a few pounds and be fine at camp. The kid is a stud and is a lock to make this team. No way he is back in JR.

floridashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:42 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek View Post
Some perspective on his stats down in QMJHL:

The Sea Dogs are currently in the semifinals. After winning round 1 4-0 and round 2 4-0, they are up 2-0 in the semis. Huby has 8 goals in the post season.

In the regular season he scored 30 goals and 42 assists (72pts) in just 37 games as he missed significant time due to injury. The leading scorer on the team, Danick Gauthier had 86 points in 66 games. So Huby was on pace to be the team's leading scorer. He seems to just keep producing just so long as he's on the ice.
There's more goals scored in a QMJHL game than in Globetrotters game. His stats are unreal but it doesn't really determine whether he's ready for the NHL. That being said, JH is going to be a STUD. I hope Tallon doesn't let Montreal talk him into trading him.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 04-24-2012 at 02:53 AM.
nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:40 AM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I hope Tallon doesn't let Montreal talk him into trading him.
I won't be able to live here (in Montréal) if this happens, all the smugness

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I wonder why everybody is worried about him putting on some weight...

He is already one of the best two-way player in the CHL arguably, one of the most tenacious and he wants to be in the NHL next year...

He was one of our best offensive player in pre-season and one of our best PP performer...

He doesn't have anything left to learn in Junior, except for another great run at a Memorial Cup that will occur this year...

He'll be on this team next year, he is supposed to stand at 176 lbs lately, I don't see how his weight could be a problem ?

He'll compete with Tarasenko for the ROY imo.
For his height, he'll want to be at least within spitting distance of 200lbs - otherwise he may not have the muscle needed to survive in the NHL. That muscle is what helps absorb and protect the body from body checks and everything else that happens on the ice.

04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
There's more goals scored in a QMJHL game than in Globetrotters game.
I want to address your comment here since for some reason this myth has still perpetuated itself from decades past. The Q just isn't the high flying, high scoring, non-existant goaltending league it used to be.

I can't find the most updated statistics, but as of 2010 there were 6.92 goals per game scored in the Q. In comparison for the same year, there were 6.95 goals scored per game in the OHL and 6.53 in the W.

So while there are more goals scored in juniors than say the NHL obviously, to presume that point totals in the Q are somehow inflated in comparison to other CHL leagues is simply erroneous. In short, Huberdeau's presence in the Q shouldn't detract from his point totals.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:24 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
For his height, he'll want to be at least within spitting distance of 200lbs - otherwise he may not have the muscle needed to survive in the NHL. That muscle is what helps absorb and protect the body from body checks and everything else that happens on the ice.
Don't remember an interview with Tallon and Huberdeau at the beginning of the season ?

They both claimed that Johnny doesn't need THAT much weight to his frame for a skill guy...

To me, Huberdeau will take a lot of years to put on his muscles... I could see him making the team at 180 lbs in septembre than gradually getting to 200 in the next five years !

Ribeiro is at 6' 176, Daniel Sedin is at 6'1 185, Elias is at 6'1 185, Pominville is at 6' 185, Giroux is at 5'11 170, Datsyuk is at 5'11 190, Stamkos is at 6'1 190, Erik Karlsson is at 6' 175...

Huberdeau is currently listed at 6'1 for 176 lbs... That's not that bad, even if I find him thin... But he doesn't need to add 15 pounds to play on our team next year IMO.

Old
04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Don't remember an interview with Tallon and Huberdeau at the beginning of the season ?

They both claimed that Johnny doesn't need THAT much weight to his frame for a skill guy...

To me, Huberdeau will take a lot of years to put on his muscles... I could see him making the team at 180 lbs in septembre than gradually getting to 200 in the next five years !

Ribeiro is at 6' 176, Daniel Sedin is at 6'1 185, Elias is at 6'1 185, Pominville is at 6' 185, Giroux is at 5'11 170, Datsyuk is at 5'11 190, Stamkos is at 6'1 190, Erik Karlsson is at 6' 175...

Huberdeau is currently listed at 6'1 for 176 lbs... That's not that bad, even if I find him thin... But he doesn't need to add 15 pounds to play on our team next year IMO.
You also listed guys who are some of the shiftiest and skilled players in the world, some of whom have won numerous awards and have spent several years in the league.

I'm not saying Huberdeau's isn't skilled or shifty, but to compare a 19 year old to people like Elias, who has won Stanley cups and has been around for the better part of 20 years, and Stamkos, who just scored 60 goals in a year in which there were only four 40+ scorers, and Datsyuk, who has some of the best puck skills of all time, is heaping an unrealistic burden on Huberdeau. He does need to gain weight, for his own good.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

If you look at those players you just listed, a ratio of height to weight puts Huberdeau below all but Giroux. If he were to add 10 lbs, it would plop him right at the average. Getting stronger will help him to absorb the punishment that the big NHL d-men dish out. To put it another way, right now Huberdeau is a basically a light heavyweight. He needs to move up a weight class or two to go against the heavyweights.

04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
You also listed guys who are some of the shiftiest and skilled players in the world, some of whom have won numerous awards and have spent several years in the league.

I'm not saying Huberdeau's isn't skilled or shifty, but to compare a 19 year old to people like Elias, who has won Stanley cups and has been around for the better part of 20 years, and Stamkos, who just scored 60 goals in a year in which there were only four 40+ scorers, and Datsyuk, who has some of the best puck skills of all time, is heaping an unrealistic burden on Huberdeau. He does need to gain weight, for his own good.
I should have said that I was comparing Huberdeau to scoring forwards that are still effective even if they don't weight 200+ lbs... Not comparing the skills and everything...

That was the argument.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fogarty View Post
If you look at those players you just listed, a ratio of height to weight puts Huberdeau below all but Giroux. If he were to add 10 lbs, it would plop him right at the average. Getting stronger will help him to absorb the punishment that the big NHL d-men dish out. To put it another way, right now Huberdeau is a basically a light heavyweight. He needs to move up a weight class or two to go against the heavyweights.
If you look at all the players that I listed, they are all in their 30s or so...

They didn't break in the League weighting what they are right now.

RNH is about the same height as Johnny and has a much worse frame yet he was still effective... Yeah, I know he got injured and that's everybodies concern...

It is obvious he'll add the necessary pounds this summer and will keep adding on through his career... I don't get how we all seem worried and all want him to put on 10-to-20 pounds THIS summer...

Old
04-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I figured you knew the rule but just wanted to clarify why he didn't qualify due to the rule. And yes he is too good for juniors that it would not make sense to send him back, wouldn't help for his development.

And I totally agree with you about easing him into the lineup. I hate seeing people on here expecting him to put up 40+ pts next yr or even being on the 2nd line. I look at Tyler Seguin who was a #2 overall pick with better size than Hubby and he put up 22 pts his rookie yr on the 3rd line (or use Couturier this yr putting up 27 pts). To me, that's the baseline of what to expect, 20-30 pts in a non-top 6 role while working on his defense and getting stronger at the NHL level.
But Seguin and Couturier were eased in on stacked teams and were given hardly any PP time. In fact Couturier played mostly on the 4th line this season. If he was on the Panthers this season, he would have been a top 6 center for sure and gotten tons of PP minutes and scored 40+ points. I don't think Dineen can afford to put Huberdeau on the 3rd line and be patient with him and hold him back from PP minutes. He's going to play as much as he deserves to play, and I'd assume he'll get a lot of PP time and by default he'll play in the top 6. Same reason Hall and Tavares started out in the top 6 and not in the bottom 6, because the Isles and Oilers didn't have any better options.

The Panthers had the 3rd worst offense in the league this season, I don't think anyone can say we'll have definitely 4 better options at wing or 2 better options at center.

Quote:
If you look at all the players that I listed, they are all in their 30s or so...

They didn't break in the League weighting what they are right now.

RNH is about the same height as Johnny and has a much worse frame yet he was still effective... Yeah, I know he got injured and that's everybodies concern...

It is obvious he'll add the necessary pounds this summer and will keep adding on through his career... I don't get how we all seem worried and all want him to put on 10-to-20 pounds THIS summer...
Idk where you are getting 176 lbs. from unless it's from that article from training camp, but I don't think he weighs that much anymore. At the WJC they were saying he was 171 lbs., and on the Q site he's listed at 171 lbs. too. I think he lost that weight, if he ever really weighed that much. RNH is listed at 175 lbs. on the Oilers site, so he's bigger than Huby.

I do think the Panthers really want to see him at least around 180 lbs. this summer. It seems like Huby has trouble keeping weight and that's a concern. Once his season is over we'll see how much of a concern it really is, I'd have to assume the Panthers S&C staff know what the best mass gainers are, and will beat the hell out of him in the gym.

Some of the guys you listed are different types of players than Huby. Like RNH for example, that's apples and oranges. They play a totally different style. RNH is a dynamic speedster. Huby is a cerebral guy who will buy time in the offensive zone to set up his teammates, like Gretzky used to, and he also likes to stand in front of the net a lot and whack in a lot of garbage goals. In the NHL, he's going to take a beating doing that, and if he tries doing that at his size currently, he's going to get destroyed. Huby is not a guy who's going to fly down the wing all the time and burn d-men with his speed, that's why you can't really compare him to guys like Ribeiro and Datsyuk.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Neek

Quote:
There's more goals scored in a QMJHL game than in Globetrotters game. His stats are unreal but it doesn't really determine whether he's ready for the NHL. That being said, JH is going to be a STUD. I hope Tallon doesn't let Montreal talk him into trading him.
It's not the actual quantity of points that I'm impressed with, just the simple fact that he's the leading point getter on a clearly dominant Sea Dogs team.

Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:58 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek View Post
It's not the actual quantity of points that I'm impressed with, just the simple fact that he's the leading point getter on a clearly dominant Sea Dogs team.
Eh, don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of how good this kid is. It's just tough to say if he's actually NHL ready at the moment. I have a feeling he's going to develop at a similar pace as Evander Kane.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I do think the Panthers really want to see him at least around 180 lbs. this summer. It seems like Huby has trouble keeping weight and that's a concern.
Most young players lose weight during the season. Tons of cardio, little time for weights. Huberdeau was listed at 168 pre-draft, and it's conceivable that he could have put on 7-8 pounds last summer, only to have lost most of that over the last 9 months. This summer, as you mentioned, should see him back in the weightroom working with major-league conditioning coaches.

Brian Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Fader

I get to see this guy all the time as he plays in the same division as Halifax(Hopefully in a couple weeks in the Q finals). He is a man amongst boys. Obviously he has a big step to make but no doubt he is ready. His shot,passes and skating are far ahead of jr. level but more impressive is his decision making with the puck. Lock

Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Eh, don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of how good this kid is. It's just tough to say if he's actually NHL ready at the moment. I have a feeling he's going to develop at a similar pace as Evander Kane.

Evander Kane is an odd comparison their game is not similar, he compares more to Giroux, Briere. Kane has taken longer because he is more of a power forward type not so much a finesse player

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fogarty View Post
Most young players lose weight during the season. Tons of cardio, little time for weights. Huberdeau was listed at 168 pre-draft, and it's conceivable that he could have put on 7-8 pounds last summer, only to have lost most of that over the last 9 months. This summer, as you mentioned, should see him back in the weightroom working with major-league conditioning coaches.
That's not true. They usually don't gain weight, but it's not normal to lose weight. Major junior teams have great facilities. Huby should be in the gym all the time when he's not on the ice. If he's not working hard in the gym, then that's a dedication problem.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:20 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Why does everyone say he needs to gain weight, I mean he is pretty small. But RNH is only 175 pounds... what about him?

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Evander Kane is an odd comparison their game is not similar, he compares more to Giroux, Briere. Kane has taken longer because he is more of a power forward type not so much a finesse player
I'm not comparing their game, I'm comparing their rate of development.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:00 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Why does everyone say he needs to gain weight, I mean he is pretty small. But RNH is only 175 pounds... what about him?
RNH was big time under developed and he was injured a lot this year because of it. We don't want the same thing with JH.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Tyler Durden

Can a moderator make a vote poll whether Huberdeau will make the Panthers team next year or not cause were getting alot of mixed reviews.

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Huberdeau leading the MMC tourney in points including 4 goals..

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:36 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Can a moderator make a vote poll whether Huberdeau will make the Panthers team next year or not cause were getting alot of mixed reviews.
Make a poll thread an I'll merge it with this one.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote