HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Discussion: (5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (6) New Jersey Devils - Devils Win 4-1

Old
04-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
awesome.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:40 AM
BillDineen

And if you thought he was bad against the Pens ....

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Krishna

Devils fan said Kovalchuk is better than giroux. Lol

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I don't get what's so laughable about it, it's not like G is a clear-cut superior player. It's mainly about what you prefer. A consistent, fast, powerful forward with a lethal shot or a smart, savvy playmaker. Can't go wrong with either.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:53 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Devils fans also say water is wet.

Seriously, what's the big deal about that? One has had 2 great seasons. One has had 10 great seasons. I dont get what's so outrageous?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:03 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

anyone else remember claude's beastly 3-point effort in game 5 against the devs two years back?

me want see more.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:14 AM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm taking NJ very seriously because I've become increasingly pessimistic over the years. You guys can enjoy your enthusiasm, I'll be over here fretting about Kovy, Parise, and Elias the Flyer-Killer.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel, but to a much lesser degree

Going into the Pittsburgh series, everyone (hockey world/analysts) were saying Pitts in 4, 5 or maybe 6...so I was kind of optimistic only because I didn't think it'd be that easy for Pittsburgh.

But aside from that, I've always went into a series thinking we could either win it or lose it...I could never be as confident as some of these fans here

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I don't get what's so laughable about it, it's not like G is a clear-cut superior player. It's mainly about what you prefer. A consistent, fast, powerful forward with a lethal shot or a smart, savvy playmaker. Can't go wrong with either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

Seriously, what's the big deal about that? One has had 2 great seasons. One has had 10 great seasons. I dont get what's so outrageous?
Agreed. No harm in being a fanboy, but let's keep things in perspective. If I had to choose who's been better this season, I'd go with Giroux, as well, but I don't he outperformed Kovalchuk by a great margin. Lavy also breeds a more offensive style of play, so it's tough to compare directly.
Quote:
I'm taking NJ very seriously because I've become increasingly pessimistic over the years. You guys can enjoy your enthusiasm, I'll be over here fretting about Kovy, Parise, and Elias the Flyer-Killer.
Yeah, I don't think this is going to be an easy series at all. The Devils are a great team, and while I think we'll ultimately win, I don't think we'll steam-roll them.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:24 AM
clodejirew

ahhh sunday is tooo far away

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
ahhh sunday is tooo far away
Sure is, the upside is Kimmo, Jagr, Grossmann, Briere getting some rest.
I'm not worried about the younger players, they'll just go out and do their thing anyway. Getting Kimmo and Jagr some extra rest is huge though.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:21 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Patrik Elias is old as dick now and is probably about to crumble from a big hit.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
The Devils didnt break the record for all-time shorthanded goals scored, but they finished like top-5 in history. I want to say they were 5th with 15 shorthanded goals, and I think some of the Oilers teams in the 80s were the all time leaders with something insane like 22 SHG.

Parise, Henrique, and Kovalchuk are all crazy dangerous shorthanded pressuring the point. But again, Kovalchuk is playing injured, so scratch that.
This has me worried.

Idiots who stand back and watch our PP dazzle them get burnt by it.

Smart teams who pressure our points and bottle Giroux/Voracek do a much better job against it.

If we don't get our PP going, I'm concerned Brodeur will get confidence. If Brodeur gets confidence, I'm afraid our offensive guns will lose theirs.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Lou3824
Rookie User

Quote:

Its not outrageous at all. However, you can't really look back on what Kovalchuk did 10 years ago. He's a different player on a different team. He's had two full seasons with you guys and has 143 points in 158 games. Meanwhile, Giroux has 169 points in 159 games over the same time period. The difference is certainly not earth shattering, but recent history certainly gives the edge to Giroux. Overall playoff records go in Giroux's favor too with 52 points in 46 games, while Kovy has 13 points in 16 games. I'm not saying that Giroux is miles ahead of Kovy, because he isn't. However, you can certainly make the case that he is currently better than him based on recent history. Given the fact that Kovy is currently hurt, while Giroux is currently playing at the best level of his career, it would be an enormous reach to say that Kovy is the better player in terms of how it will relate to this upcoming series.

Anything can happen though...

Lou3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:47 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Please humiliate Devils and their fans!

Go Flyers!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:02 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:

I think I'll be on that side of the river as well. Just very cautios, like I was in the beginning of the 1st round

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:16 AM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3824 View Post
Its not outrageous at all. However, you can't really look back on what Kovalchuk did 10 years ago. He's a different player on a different team. He's had two full seasons with you guys and has 143 points in 158 games. Meanwhile, Giroux has 169 points in 159 games over the same time period. The difference is certainly not earth shattering, but recent history certainly gives the edge to Giroux. Overall playoff records go in Giroux's favor too with 52 points in 46 games, while Kovy has 13 points in 16 games. I'm not saying that Giroux is miles ahead of Kovy, because he isn't. However, you can certainly make the case that he is currently better than him based on recent history. Given the fact that Kovy is currently hurt, while Giroux is currently playing at the best level of his career, it would be an enormous reach to say that Kovy is the better player in terms of how it will relate to this upcoming series.

Anything can happen though...
The Devils fan who originally made the statement on the main board said "A healthy Kovy > Giroux" So obviously he's not talking about the current injured Kovalchuk.

I think he was trying to make a general statement that Kovy (when healthy) is a better player than Giroux.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Lou3824
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
The Devils fan who originally made the statement on the main board said "A healthy Kovy > Giroux" So obviously he's not talking about the current injured Kovalchuk.

I think he was trying to make a general statement that Kovy (when healthy) is a better player than Giroux.
That's fine. However, given recent history, he's not better than Giroux and the numbers clearly show that. A difference of 26 points over the last two seasons is nothing to sneeze at. They are both great players, but Giroux is slightly better right now.

Lou3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:22 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If there could be a thing better than Couturier driving Malkin insane, it's going to be Couturier driving Kovalchuk up a wall.
Couturier's already got a head start (not the best quality video)

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
RussianRocket10

Home ice!

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:33 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Great having NJ in 2nd round if we play solid 60 mins and Bryz is steady we got this round in 5 gms.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
BillDineen

With the team's poor starts, especially during afternoon games in the regular season, I hope Giroux has another superman first shift like last game to get them going Sunday.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
With the team's poor starts, especially during afternoon games in the regular season, I hope Giroux has another superman first shift like last game to get them going Sunday.
we are usually ok if it doesnt start at 1 and sunday is a 3 game so we should be ok

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:24 AM
mirimon

I'm gonna go with Flyers in 6 (it worked the last time). If the Bryz of March shows up, it might be over before that though. Hopefully his stats against the Devils in the regular season is an indicator of how he'll play now as well.

Also, one good thing about the Atlantic/Patrick division being so strong is that if we somehow crawl ourselves all the way to the Stanley Cup finals, the traveling schedule isn't exactly wearing us down. Going against Pittsburgh, NJ and NY/Washington... compare that to one series of Nashville-LA. The west sure has it tougher in that regard.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:39 AM
LeClairSlapper93
Rookie User

The Flyers could win this series in 5 if they play with the intensity they're capable of. Nevertheless, I'll the say the Flyers take the Devils in 6. Let's Go Flyers!

LeClairSlapper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Ahh the Devils our old nemesis. I have the Flyers in 5 but that's not to say we are going to just **** on New Jersey. Most of these games will probably be lower scoring affairs as we usually see against them. We should do fine if we block shots like Game 6 for Bryz and Giroux and Co. picks up where they left off. Even if the Devils are able to contain G I love our offensive depth to work around that and still put up goals. Briere will have another good series.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote