HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

Lucky Bounces Allow Wings to Advance

Old
04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
The old geezer

vCash: 500
Lucky Bounces Allow Wings to Advance

First I’d like to congratulate Matt Gledhill on a great season and a very tough series. I’ll elaborate on how tough the series was as the 4-1 outcome does not do it justice.

At the outset of this series I had said it would be suicide for the Wings to play the same style of play it had during the regular season. The Ducks played a similar style and admittedly had much more success with it during the season. Upon reviewing options however, it became apparent there were no significant holes in the Ducks roster to exploit so the only option was to go toe to toe and hope for the best. The result was wide open offensive hockey with the two teams exchanging shots following a lot of end to end plays.

Aside from game 2, where Anaheim outshot Detroit by a fair margin, the shots were fairly even but very high as the two all-star goalies faced a ton of rubber. Lundqvist faced an average of 41 shots per game and Rinne faced an average of 39 shots per game. Similarly, aside from game 2, all of the games were decided by a single goal with the final two games being decided in OT. Kris Versteeg was the offensive catalyst for Detroit recording 6 points including two game winning goals.

The series was tough fought with an average of 49 hits per game but clean as this series had the lowest combined PIM per game. In such a tough close series it would come down to who got the luckiest bounces and in this case it was Detroit.

A fatigued Red Wing team will now enjoy a couple of days to rest before preparing to face an up and coming team from Nashville … one that managed to record a freakin scary 20 goals against a top team in the first round. Yikes.

The old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
HFNHL Commish

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
A very big congratulations to Mr. Niece and the Detroit Red Wings on playing just about as fine a series as you'll find.

This series absolutely had me at my wit's end. The only game that was decided by more than one goal happened to be the only game that the Anaheim Ducks won. In the last two games that went to OT (both Detroit wins), the Ducks blew two goal leads late in the game...something they didn't do all year.

In the end, if I had to change one thing, I probably should have rode my top 4 D a bit harder in the series. The 3rd pairing of Jackman-Martin was getting beaten up pretty badly, especially by the Belanger line in the first 4 games. Oh well, another President's Trophy winner bites the dust!!!

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote