HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebs

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
Grebs

What are your thoughts on him so far? I really wish this kid the best of luck and hope he becomes the player we were all told he would be.

Congrats to Tambs for his 1st

Old
03-14-2006, 11:12 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Grebs has been real solid so far. He saw some big minutes tonight(24ish I think) because of Zhitnik going down. He finished with a +1. He looks good offensively and has been pretty solid defensively as well. Let's hope he keeps getting better.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:37 PM
boredmale

he definantly is better then i expected. From most King fans they seemed to say he makes alot of mistakes defensively, i haven't seen him make any blunders so far. His offensive game is great as well.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:05 AM
HoCk4307

agreed. He looks very comfortablew with the puck, moves it well and is a good skater. also nice hit on elias tonite in the open ice. i've been impressed with both players we got

Old
03-15-2006, 12:06 AM
cjdv16

i think he's been ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING thus far.

in fact, i can rave about his play enough.

dare i say he reminds me of a young kenny jonsson....

1. smart with the puck
2. confident with the puck
3. excellent passer and sees the ice extremely well
4. excellent skater w/the ability to recover

Old
03-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Fat Elvis

Glad to hear, the kid needed some fans who actually cheer him. He'll make some bad plays, just don't get all over him for them. He needs his confidence back after the fans in Manchester road him nightly. Best of luck to him and Tambs.

Come over to the LA board once in awhile to let us know how they're doing. It'd be great if they helped get you into the playoffs.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
he definantly is better then i expected. From most King fans they seemed to say he makes alot of mistakes defensively, i haven't seen him make any blunders so far. His offensive game is great as well.
I've been watching him really closely, trying to figure out what the Kings fans were talking about. So far, I've noticed him make two mistakes that could have turned bad, though they didn't. Against the Leafs, he followed Allison out of position until he was near the top of the circles before Allison sent the puck back in deep. Zhitnik was there, so the play became nothing. Last night against the Devils, he tried to send the puck up the middle where Langenbrunner (I think) intercepted it and got a quick hard shot off that Dipietro had to be awake for.

Neither became anything big, nor were they huge mistakes, so it's not like this is meant as criticism. I suppose he probably does still need to work on decision making, as these were simply mental errors, but if that's the worse that happens he's more than welcome to stay up here. And if he improves on this, I can almost start to see where the Redden comparisions came from (though I don't expect him to be nearly that good).

Old
03-15-2006, 10:44 AM
edallas

He does'nt look like a rookie. He seems like he's been in the NHL for awhile. So far, great pickup. These trades have done so much for the outlook of the Islanders.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 03-15-2006 at 02:22 PM. Reason: off-topic
Old
03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Fantom

I cant say what i think of this kid yet. I have only seen him play two times for us.He has been good so far and i hope he gets better.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
i think he's been ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING thus far.

in fact, i can rave about his play enough.

dare i say he reminds me of a young kenny jonsson....

1. smart with the puck
2. confident with the puck
3. excellent passer and sees the ice extremely well
4. excellent skater w/the ability to recover
I agree 100%. A young KJ is exactly what I thought last night. He just has that poise that young D don't often have (dare I say even more than Campoli?)

Old
03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
herecomesdabus

Grebs looks like a thoroughbred out there.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
The Mailman*

Two Russians that I knew would break out after given a change of scenery were Grebeshkov, and Suglobov.

So far Grebs looks just as expected, and I expect Sugs to do the same when he gets the call in Toronto.

People need to stop overlooking kids just because they didn't crack the NHL at 20

Old
03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
NYIsles1*

That little stretch in the third peirod where he went high on a Devil with the stick seemed to indicate a player who had them frustrated. Very smooth and smart with the puck and a player who for now seems ready to handle the speed and skill at this level.

So far a little different than what was advertised.

Old
03-15-2006, 04:23 PM
CrossCheck

Being on the Est, I can only think of one guy he reminds me of : Brian Rafalski!

Of course, he's less polished in his own zone but on the rush and in the offensive zone, with his head up and his small frame, he looks amazingly like the devils d-man...

Old
03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31
I agree 100%. A young KJ is exactly what I thought last night. He just has that poise that young D don't often have (dare I say even more than Campoli?)
i'd agree with that.

he's so much more crisp, polished, and smooth than campoli. not dissing campoli, but grebs is just a cool customer with the puck.

to shaw's point.... head up, good puck control, fairly accurate shot, and just exhudes talent and confidence.

i really enjoy watching him back there on D.

Old
03-15-2006, 08:58 PM
TeamKidd

Grebs has been much better than what i thought, especially on the offensive side of the puck. He is a great tape to tape passer and is very cool with the puck.

However, to compare him to KJ, Rafalski, or Redden is quite frankly, rediculous.

His defensive game has been mostly solid, but in no way does he exhibit the defensive uncanny awareness of KJ, mobility and solidity of Redden, or the competence of Rafalski. He's made a few plays in the defensive zone (as mentioned above) that show over agressiveness and poor discipline, which is to be expected with a kid. but lets not annoint him our number 1 dman just yet ok?

one things for sure, the rest of the year will be a big test for all of our kids, especially grebs, camps, and gervais.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:45 PM
KH1

Grebeshkov has been excellent for the Islanders so far. It will be interesting to see how he does without Zhitnik though; I think that much of his poise came from having a safety net back there in Z (he played catch with Zhitnik frequently in their brief time together.)

Old
03-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Just three games, but this observer likes what he sees, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Could be just a matter of a guy needing a change of scenary and a prolonged opportunity to play. (It is very unfortunate that Zhitnik has gone down, as I liked the pairing of those two, for multiple reasons.)

Players are like a fine wine - they all have their unique maturation dates. Perhaps Grebeshkov is realizing his.

If these two guys (Tambellini) work out, this will be great trade for NYI, Milbury's going away present.

Not to get ahead of one's self, but it has the potential to be the type of deal that really re-calibrates the direction in which a franchise is headed. Why? Because you've added young depth to augment the wave of home-grown NYIers who will hopefully be graduating to the NHL - and contributing - over the next several years.

With depth, comes options and roster flexibility (i.e., more opportunities to improve even further).

Old
03-15-2006, 11:47 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
At first impression, Grebs appears to be very smooth and skilled with the puck. Crisp, savvy, heady w/ good vision. I'm still not sold on his decision making or positioning, I can recall of 2-3 scenerios where he was close to giving up a good scoring chance. For example, not to be overly critical, but the point-blank chance Reasoner had for Boston with 2 mins to go is an illustration of where Grebs could have read the play better and positioned him self accordingly. Still in all, he's exceeded my expectations that perhaps were a bit premature and inaccurate molded by my perusal of some posts on grebs...

Closed Thread