HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF: New York Rangers (1) vs Washington Capitals (7)

Old
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
pwoz

vCash: 500
Just need to hope Ovechkin doesn't go into steroid mode and hit the crap out of Backstrom. Staal should goad Semin into a fight again too.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

We need to be aggressive with the Caps

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If the Rangers can get in and hit and disrupt the Caps defense they will win. If the Caps defense is able to move the puck quickly up to their skilled forwards it may be a much tougher series than even the 1st round....
Yes but this is are thing and with Hagelin playing hopefully in all games and with Krieder speed on the forecheck whihc i hope will keep getting better, i think we can expect a forecheck.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
It would be nice to get Boyle or Zuccarello back at some point in this series. Mitchell really struggled this series.
I dont know what people are talking about. Honestly the last 2 games Mitchell has been great. Hes been hard on the forecheck has protected the puck at key times and has been good defesively. I know he wasent good in the firest few games but he really elevated in the last 2 and this is not a time to take him out. Wait for a bad game to make a change, but if not him possibly Rupp who also played very good the last couple games so its tough.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:15 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I see the caps taking this in 6. They played shutdown better than the prototype shutdown team in the NHL this round, and if you don't want to play shutdown with them, they got a LOT of high end skill. I think they're a much tougher opponent than Ottawa.

And as you all call me a troll: I live in Westchester and I don't even root for the Caps. So sorry.
I disagree Ott is pretty darn good team. Wash for one dont have a guy like Karlsson and even Gonchar who really tired and killed our forwards.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
They're confident because they have beaten us in the past couple years but we are a much better team now and also last yearwe wer msising Callahan. It wont be easy but i was scared of ottawa more because karlsson is a beast defensemen Caps dont have that
Dont forget Stall was not Healthy. That is really the key in this series. Stall loves to shutdown Ovi and Semin and its fun to watch. This is why i think we have a good chance because of how much this team loves to shutdown Wash top players. However if the bottom lines steal the series for Wash than it probably there series. Thats the tough part we really have to play a full 60 esp on D.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
1.) Shut down team? Washington was a -8 on the season this year allowing 226 goals to their 218... They beat the Bruins because they're a good match up AND the Bruins were not nearly as physical as they usually were.
2.) Their high end skill couldn't hold a candle to Ottawa this year. The names on the back of Washington's jerseys are much scarier than their actual play. It's been this way for two years now. Also, Ottawa was a much greater offensive force this year scoring 243 for a 2.88 G/g
3.) The Caps don't even have a physically intimidating player and as a team they're very soft. Had the Bruins not lost track of their identity and came out hitting more the Caps wouldn't be in the second round.
The Bruins were tired from a long playoff run last season. Not to mention a key guy in Nathan Horton was missing that would have been a big difference. Bos is not as good as us this year i can guarantee that.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
nevesis

Ottawa was a perfect opponent to face first before Washington. We will be MORE than ready for the Capitals now.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If the Rangers can get in and hit and disrupt the Caps defense they will win. If the Caps defense is able to move the puck quickly up to their skilled forwards it may be a much tougher series than even the 1st round....
This was exactly what Ottawa did though, except they had Karlsson who is a wizard at breaking the puck out and the Caps don't have that.

Still, I'm not taking them lightly, I just think it might be slightly easier to effectively forecheck the Caps than it was against the Sens

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
NikC

Caps played Boston well and if they want to hang their hat on the fact that they beat the
SC champs, let them. NYR play a better game than Boston all around this year, and I believe
They’re underestimating us... Good let them.

The Caps don’t have the same backend speed or the ability to pin us in our end the way Ottawa did.
(even though I’m sure the rangers will be collapsing for minutes at a time our defensive end throughout).

Caps have some gritty players, but no “Neil factor”, or no Carkner factor.
They will not physically intimidate us.

The Rangers have handled Was and Bos , much better than they did Ottawa this season.

I think we will see Lundqvist more determined than ever in this series. I think we will see the team
As a whole step up their level of play to eradicate the Caps for the first time in postseason since the lockout.

First rounds are always the toughest to win, just ask Pitt,Vancouver, Detroit, and SJ this year...

With this monkey off our back, you may see more guys step up and start scoring.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
machphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
We need to be aggressive with the Caps
This cannot be overstated. We play the same weak prevent D against the Caps when we get up a goal or two, the game will be tied faster than we can blink.

machphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Slenke

Finally an early game! Whohoooo! I can watch a playoff game again!

Slenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
beastly115

Not sure why people are comparing us to Boston. We're a much better team than them this season.

That being said, I expect this to go 7 games. Washington's defense isn't as mobile and quick as Ottawa's but Green can still be dangerous. Semin always kills us. Staal needs to keep up his stellar play to contain OV.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Caps Scouting Reports

42-32-8. 38-32-4 shootout adjusted record.

NYR- 2.71 G/g
WAS- 2.66 G/g

NYR- 2.22 GA/g
WAS- 2.76 GA/g

NYR 5 on 5- 1.14
WAS 5 on 5- 1.01

NYR 15.7 PP%, 23rd
WAS 16.7 PP%, 18th

NYR 86.2 PK%, 5th
WAS 81.6% PK, 21st

Washington's statistical strong point was leading after periods 1 and 2, where they are near tops in the league. They have diverse scoring, with 9 players in the double digits.

The quintessential X-factor, Alex Semin was a big player in their first round victory,

Their playoff line is similar to ours. Close 7 game series, good goaltending numbers and uninspiring offensive output from any individual players. Hamrlik and Green were a +5.

Their ice time was well balanced in the first round, and they have had an extra day of rest, so do not be surprised if they come out with more energy Saturday afternoon.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
EEDAWGZ

******* Holtby lets do this. LGR!

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quick turnaround, which starts tonight with the start of round 2. 3PM NBC game could be really good for this team. Keep the momentum going from last night. Washington can be a really tough team to play. Expecting a series win in 6 or 7.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Caps fan in peace. I can't hate the Rangers; my whole family is from NY and are huge Ranger fans. I think Torts is a smug ***** but that's besides the point. I was hoping for someone else that way I could still cheer for the Blueshirts. **** happens.

I think this is going to be an awesome series and I'm pumped to see it unfold. A few points to address some stuff I've read on here.

1. The confidence of the Caps fans comes just as much, if not more, from how we're playing than playing against the Rangers. Never before have we seen the Caps play committed, team defense. There is still a lot of respect on our side for the #1 seed in the EC.
2. Nobody on your team comes close to Chara/Seidenberg. I watch a ton of Rangers hockey and I think you guys have better depth than the B's, but to say Staal/MDZ/McD/Girardi are on the same level as Chara/Seidenberg is homerism. Chara/Seidenberg are the elite shutdown pair in the NHL.
3. Holtby was outstanding in the series, but he was helped a lot by our team. The majority of the Bruins shots were from the outside. Our team did a great job of keeping the shooting lanes clear so Holtby could see the shots, and they did an outstanding job at nullifying 2nd/3rd chance opportunities by clearing the crease.
4. I'm very interested to see how Ovie does this series. He still led our team in points last series and he was his normal self throwing the body around. Dale decided to place him on a line with Laich and Brouwer as a decoy and let Backstrom/Semin/MoJo take Boston's 2nd pair. Will be interested to see if he adjusts this series.
5. Will Boyle be back? I have nightmares of seeing Boyle/Crider against Wideman and Schultz.

Good luck to you guys. Should be fun.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Since the caps fans are so confident they'll win, we should challenge them to a bet. Loser of the series has to eat their pubes!

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
mcsauer2738

We need to find a way to get to Holtby the kid has been so cool and calm throughout the playoffs not to mention he's been standing on his head.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I dont know what people are talking about. Honestly the last 2 games Mitchell has been great. Hes been hard on the forecheck has protected the puck at key times and has been good defesively. I know he wasent good in the firest few games but he really elevated in the last 2 and this is not a time to take him out. Wait for a bad
game to make a change, but if not
him possibly Rupp who also
played very good the last couple
games so its tough.
Mitchell had a very good game 7 on both sides if the puck

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Since the caps fans are so confident they'll win, we should challenge them to a bet. Loser of the series has to eat their pubes!
I said this last night, Caps fans must be some of the most ******** on these boards.

I wake up and check out the mainboards and low and behold "caps must be the favorite to win" is one of the top threads. I'm already in tears laughing.

I mean, the absolute diarrhea that comes out of their mouths could suffocate a gorilla. I miss the intelligence of the Sens fans already.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
TankLarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Ottawa was a perfect opponent to face first before Washington. We will be MORE than ready for the Capitals now.
I believe this as well. Battle-tested in every aspect of the game.

Not the Caps. Bruins were not the Big Bad Bruins in Round One. Tired or hungover from last year. Caps got off easy on physical stuff. We need to use our team toughness in this series. First line will have more space. Kreider doubles down. We get to Holtby.

We win.

TankLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I'm vexed fellas

Need some help from my fellow brothers as this simply doesn't compute. I know the Cap fan base is excited as well they should be for knocking off the defending champs. They are very and I mean VERY confident that they will knock us off as well most say in 5 or 6 which is fine as delusional as that may be but that's what homerism will do for you. Obviously we are truly getting dissrespected by the Cap fan base...bigtime...that's a fact. Here's the thing that startles me. I keep reading that Holtby due to his nice play in the Bruins series is Hank's equal and will neutralize Lundqvist's effect on the series. I kid you not. If I've read that 40 times, I must have read that over 100 by now.

Maybe I'm missing something here but IMO, that is exactly our biggest advantage...between the pipes. Offense,defense and special teams..sure they are important and we need to make sure we match their intensity which I think we undoubtadly will . But this is not Ken Dryden circa '1971 we are talking about here with this kid Holtby. Kid had a real nice series I give him credit. Last time I recall though a rookie leading his team really deep in the playoffs was Cam Ward for Carolina during their Cup run.

Anyways, Holtby is not even in the same galaxy as Hank and it's kind of laugh out loud funny that Cap fans think their kid is going to match Hank and they are actually banking on that happening...I think they are going to be very dissapointed. Heck even in their own game day threads I perused in games 6 & 7 alot of them were saying how shaky he started too look and how lucky he got on missplays of his. I don't know fellas, I think this is where the series is won...between the pipes. And like I said unless I'm missing something we have a HUGE advantage there.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
blue425

I mean, the absolute diarrhea that comes out of their mouths could suffocate a gorilla. I miss the intelligence of the Sens fans already.

Carl Hagelins Flow

Permission to sig sir?

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Need some help from my fellow brothers as this simply doesn't compute. I know the Cap fan base is excited as well they should be for knocking off the defending champs. They are very and I mean VERY confident that they will knock us off as well most say in 5 or 6 which is fine as delusional as that may be but that's what homerism will do for you. Obviously we are truly getting dissrespected by the Cap fan base...bigtime...that's a fact. Here's the thing that startles me. I keep reading that Holtby due to his nice play in the Bruins series is Hank's equal and will neutralize Lundqvist's effect on the series. I kid you not. If I've read that 40 times, I must have read that over 100 by now.

Maybe I'm missing something here but IMO, that is exactly our biggest advantage...between the pipes. Offense,defense and special teams..sure they are important and we need to make sure we match their intensity which I think we undoubtadly will . But this is not Ken Dryden circa '1971 we are talking about here with this kid Holtby. Kid had a real nice series I give him credit. Last time I recall though a rookie leading his team really deep in the playoffs was Cam Ward for Carolina during their Cup run.

Anyways, Holtby is not even in the same galaxy as Hank and it's kind of laugh out loud funny that Cap fans think their kid is going to match Hank and they are actually banking on that happening...I think they are going to be very dissapointed. Heck even in their own game day threads I perused in games 6 & 7 alot of them were saying how shaky he started too look and how lucky he got on missplays of his. I don't know fellas, I think this is where the series is won...between the pipes. And like I said unless I'm missing something we have a HUGE advantage there.
Honestly man...do yourself a favor and just don't venture over them parts. I actually feel myself getting stupider every time I read that thread.

Wait...they said that about Lundqvist? Thanks. You just made me stupider Damn you!

Seriously though, if they're that delusional let them believe what they want.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote