HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC Complaint Letter Part 2 - Make YOUR voice heard

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Raider917

vCash: 500
is the pittsburgh game going to be on in english this week?

Old
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22

2) Also consider the Toronto-based Globe and Mail's (owned by Toronto-based Bell Globemedia - which also owns TSN) comparison of first round game 7s in 2004:

"More than 4 million Canadians watched Game 7 of the Bruins-Canadiens series. CBC drew 2.293 million for the national telecast, while RDS recorded an audience of 1.8 million. It's interesting to note that the Canadiens game outdrew Game 7 of the Maple-Leafs-Senators series, which attracted 3.769 million viewers on CBC."

-William Houston, The Globe & Mail, May 2004.
To me that just proves that Leafs games get more views on CBC than Habs games not that Habs games get more views nation-wide. I get what you're trying to say but it's just that I think the anglo nation aren't as interested at viewing the Canadiens than the Leafs/Sens/Canucks/Flames on CBC which is why they get more games played. Anywho, I'm a loyal RDS watcher, and even if CBC started playing Habs games EVERY game, I'd stick with RDS just because they've always been there for us

Old
03-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Catch-22

I'm with you on RDS. Here's a longer explanation of my interpretation of those numbers.

1) Two Markets: The Game 7 featuring Toronto was also featuring a second anglo-Canadian market in Ottawa. I don't dispute that the Leafs get more viewers in english Canada than the Habs, though. That's not my point. I suspect if you remove Ottawa from the equation you'd still have almost a million more english Leaf viewers. The point here is that Habs games are not insignificant in english Canada and, given our 24-cup history combined with 40 years of mass emigration from Quebec to other parts of Canada, I highly doubt any team other than the leafs has more viewers than the habs in the rest of the country. One can go still further and argue that west coast teams have games that take place later in the evening for easterners, who are the majority of the population. Late games mean easterners are less likely to watch and that will contribute to lower ratings for westen teams. It's highly likely that we are the second most watched team in english Canada when we are on.

2) Quality of team: Toronto and Ottawa had better teams which should have allowed them to capture more casual viewers than the marginal Habs. This bloating of their viewership numbers still did not push these combined markets above Montreal's solo viewership numbers.

3) Quality of marketing: When you broadcast and promote one team all year long, you do not only market that team. You also discourage fans of other teams from watching your station. Despite a ton of Leaf promotion and despite that discouragement, CBC still manages to draw sizeable numbers of Habs viewers from english Canada.

4) Quality of Braodcast: We seem to both agree that we have no interest in watching CBCs 4th-string leaf cheerleaders...err...broadcasters talk about Toronto and Boston all night long. I remember one evening not too long ago when the Habs were playing in Denver and Harry Neale was broadcasting. After slipping trivial Leaf factoids into the broadcast all night, he says during the middle of one play, "the Leafs have not played in Denver in 1,264 days. That's an absolute disgrace." To that a friend of mine let loose, "Who the ____ cares?" A boycott ensued. And he's right. Why should we have to hear about our ahistorical rivals all night long? Especially when they're not playing? I can only assume that broadcasts like this one, which are more the rule at CBC than the exception, have driven many English habs fans to alternative sources of Habs entertainment (ie. RDS). That would result in lower Habs ratings for CBC, too. Yet, CBC drew a sizeable Habs viewership.

5) TSN, a Toronto-based, private (profit driven) corporation, showed 13 Habs games nationally this year versus 10 for Toronto. OLN, a US based profit driven corporation showed 2 Habs games natinally in the US this year, versus 0 for Toronto. Take that for what it worth. It's simply anecdotal, but it's interesting.

Again, I don't argue that the Habs get more viewers than the leafs get in english Canada. But Montreal clearly has more fans, more viewers etc. and those numbers are evidence that showing a Habs game in english every once and a while wouldn't be such a bad thing. It hasn't been so bad for them, even though they've embarrassed us, discouraged us, ignored us, haven't promoted us.

This is sad to say, but I really hope Vancouver and Toronto both miss the playoffs. CBC will really be caught with their pants around their ankles, then. Maybe they'll learn not to put all their eggs in one basket? Maybe not.

Old
03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Catch-22

From this Morning's Globe and Mail.

Quote:
Leaf Nation missed boat on Hab hero
When Boom Boom's legacy rose to Montreal's rafters and Leaf Nation missed it

ROY MacGREGOR

From Monday's Globe and Mail

What the regions of this country really need is a better equalization formula.

One that's built on fairness.

And specifically for hockey.

The absurdity of "Leaf Nation" was on eye-rolling national display this weekend, when a magical moment was taking place in Montreal while most television sets in this country were carrying a relatively meaningless game between two teams that might not even make the playoffs: the Toronto Maple Leafs and the sinking Tampa Bay Lightning.

The game in Montreal, on the other hand, was a thrilling 1-0 victory by the home-team Canadiens over the New York Rangers, two teams desperate to solidify their playoff positions.

The CBC and Hockey Night in Canada cannot, of course, be expected to know which games will be more exciting, but surely they should be able to pick the better storyline.

Especially when that story -- the retirement of Bernard (Boom Boom) Geoffrion's No. 5 -- had been scheduled back in early October.

Instead, even hockey fans living in Montreal had to switch from the Leafs game to RDS, the French-language sports channel, where one of the most moving stories in recent hockey history was unfolding in a remarkable series of tears and shivers.

In the evening in Montreal, they raised Bernie Geoffrion's No. 5 to the rafters.

In the morning in Atlanta, Bernie Geoffrion died of stomach cancer at age 75.

His last words had requested that his wife Marlene and daughter Linda make it to Montreal for the ceremony.

It should, of course, have happened years earlier, with Geoffrion himself there with his big smile and the big voice that, had he not been a hockey star, might have made him a celebrated singer.

They would have cheered and it would have made everything alright again.

They booed him long ago in Montreal, on the night in 1955 when he was given the Art Ross Trophy as the league's top scorer. The fans felt it should have gone to Rocket Richard, Geoffrion's great idol, but Richard had been suspended and, in the last game of the season, Geoffrion's assist had lifted him over the Rocket. He never forgot those boos.

They loved him other times, though, and they always called him "Boom Boom" or "The Boomer" or just "Boom," surely the greatest of all hockey nicknames. Today he would be "Geoffie." Mercifully, he played when nicknames required imagination.

His was for his shot and Geoffrion stands unique in hockey for the changes he brought. He gave hockey the slapshot, which led to the curved blade, which led to the goalie mask.

His mischievous side would have loved that, in the very week they were honouring him, the NHL was embroiled in a debate over the use of warped stick blades in shootouts.

His wife and daughter made it in time. They and the two Geoffrion sons, Danny and Robert, put on No. 5 Canadiens jerseys and the four of them pulled the cord that raised the banner to hang beside No. 7, the sweater worn by the Canadiens' great hero of the 1930s, Howie Morenz.

Howie Morenz, Marlene Geoffrion's father.

They did this on the day that Bernie Geoffrion died and 69 years to the day since 12,500 weeping fans turned up at the old Montreal Forum to say farewell to Morenz, dead tragically at 34 from a hockey injury.

They did this 10 years to the day since the old Forum -- hockey's greatest shrine, the rink where Morenz and Geoffrion starred -- was closed down.

They did this while the fans cheered and the man's grandchildren covered their wet faces with handkerchiefs as his sons spoke.

"The first time Dad took my mom on a date," Danny Geoffrion said, "he took her to a boxing match at the Forum. He told her that one day his sweater would hang up there next to her father's.

"Today, he's kept that promise."

Marlene Geoffrion nodded, remembering; yet one can only imagine what must have been going through this brave woman's mind at that moment.

For most of the country interested in the national sport, however, that moment was coloured blue and featured, as it far too often does, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The CBC is not alone here -- Leaf Nation appears to rule all national media based in Toronto -- but surely it is time to acknowledge that if there is indeed a Leaf Nation there are, most assuredly, five other hockey nations in this country.

And each and every one of them, at the moment, a far more interesting story than the worst team in Canada.

Those watching the Leafs, unfortunately, missed both a great game and a great story.

Boom's great friend, Montreal Gazette sportswriter Red Fisher, says that Marlene Geoffrion spoke to her husband's old teammate, Dickie Moore, as she raced to the airport.

She was on her way, she said, because, "He's in heaven now -- he's where he should be."

There, and high on the rafters beside his wife's father, No. 5 and No. 7 together.

And all of Canada should have seen him rise.

Old
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22
From this Morning's Globe and Mail.
That was a nice article, he understands how it should of worked. Too late now though for this story, lets hope it doesn't happen to any other hockey hero like this time.

Old
03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Marchy79

Great post... here's my letter to the CRTC:

"CBC Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, March 11th 2006.
Boom Boom Geoffrian passed away on the Friday prior.. the habs held an honorarium where his jersey was honored by going up to the rafters beside his hockey brethren... and CBC missed the boat by offering 15 channels of Maple Leaf hockey. Not one emphasized the passing of the legend, nor did they even consider showing a hab game on Saturday night, from Montreal feeds! (In Barrie Ontario at least).
If I am to pay taxes for CBC broadcasting services, I expect a non-selective station... I always tune in to get the same crap, Bob Cole, and Harry Neale... and their preposterous landslide, favouring one canadian team over another... This is a bad message for CBC to send. Furthermore, I am seriously disappointed to have missed the ceremony, and to be quite frank, I expected this lousy service from the CBC, as it continues to wallow in it's mediocrity.
Pull the tax plug on these guys... it's gone on for long enough, and it's concentrating on giving the populace only a piece of the action concentrated on one Canadian hockey team, which certainly fails to live up to the Corporation's mandate of serving Canadians.
Replace the CBC with a real national broadcasting corporation... that is the only correct option to do,,, complete with a REVOLVING schedule, that allows fans from the opposite coast to enjoy games that they will never see, but are interested in watching (i.e. a Canucks fan in NS JUST MAY WANT TO WATCH THE CANUCKS... just like a Canadiens fan in Barrie, Ontario WANTS TO WATCH THE HABS)...

We expect this treatment (just look at how you handled the Koivu situation a few years back... not even registering his courageous return from Cancer (save a 30 second piece)) however we all wish it to change.
Looking forward to hearing your way of restitution to me and many malcontent hab fans.
Jason"

Old
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
MY TAXES GO TO CBC

**** that, I didn't know that

Old
03-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
MY TAXES GO TO CBC

**** that, I didn't know that
Yeah for sure! CBC is a government funded institution (which is why so many can tune in without cable) It is federally mandated to support Canadian art, sport, and leisure... Which is why it drives me nuts that I dont get the Montreal feed at all (unless it's on the french version SRC)... I watch games, but only understand 1/2 of what I hear because I am not entirely fluent in French.

Old
03-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Roke

Regarding the Habs-Pens game it appears that CBC will be airing it in Quebec and Nova Scotia.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
JimmyPage

Great job Ford Prefect! Thank you for your work and I will be making those contacts.
I am going to paste this into the other Canadian team threads if anyone would like to join in.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPage
Great job Ford Prefect! Thank you for your work and I will be making those contacts.
I am going to paste this into the other Canadian team threads if anyone would like to join in.
You posted a great article from the Ottawa Citizen on the Ottawa board, and I want to re-post it here.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...aab239&k=40800

Old
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Hank19

Wow! Great amount of research Ford Prefect! Thank you for that.
I've already sent in my comments.

The funny thing is, I don't think their financial well being is the sole reason they show Leaf games. I think it's because the people that run the CBC live in Toronto and as all Canadians know, the majority of people that live and work in Toronto think they run the universe. For that reason alone they'll show the Leafs over all the teams.
I work in a company that has it's main office in Toronto and we have to hear, at naseam, how we should be giving them all the top resources because, I quote "we're Toronto".

I still remember when Don Cherry was commenting after the Leafs lost, again, to the Senators and he remarked "the Leafs no longer intimidate the Senators. That's a shame". Talk about being partisan.

HNIC should be changed to "Leaf Night In Toronto - ****** the Rest of Canada" and have a picture with a big middle finger in Leaf colours.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Poochiemoo

Don't forget, either, that the CBC showed the entire celebrations for both Sundin and Domi in the previous weeks on the national network, but couldn't have been bothered to honour Boom Boom. (maybe this was mentioned )

Also, TSN does it too, referring to the Leafs games they show only in the Toronto area as showing in the "Leaf nation." Please tell me what the hell that nation is? Its a pretty crazy assumption about the importance of Toronto and the Leafs.

As an Oiler fan, I think we get hosed on the CBC national coverage too. We fall below Vancouver and Calgary in the late night coverage and our game are only seen when we play another Canadian team.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM
copperandblue

Like everyone else outside of the GTA I think the CBC did a real disservice with how they handled that.

I am not a Habs fan and I am too young to appreciate what Boom Boom did for the HAB nation but as an Oiler fan I can certainly appreciate the importance of the moment to reflect back on the guys that played a big part on your favourite team. The big difference between my experiences with this type of ceremony that the Oilers have had and the Boom Boom ceremony is that it is unlikely anyone outside of Edmonton gives a hoot about an Oiler sweater going to the rafters where as in the case of Boom Boom, there are fans accross the nation that have an attachment simply because he played in an era where the entire country only had two Canadian teams to cheer for. As such guys like Geoffrian are as much a local hero to some as the guys that wear the home team sweaters today. This was a story that had a truly national perspective.

Like many of you, I am not sure that there can be uproar over CBC showing the Leafs game, it is what it is and it has always been that way. However the decision to not pre-empt the game in order to show the ceremony in Montreal speaks volumes about how HNIC views the country as a whole. Put in perspective with the drivel that they force fed us last week when Tie Domi was honoured for playing 1000 games and the volume of the message they are sending grows 10 fold. (Seriously, Tie freakin Domi? Who cares? The guy has been a border line regular for years and has done nothing of interest outside of Toronto, can the Leafs really be that desperate to find something to honour in the org?)

Unfortunately everyone is stuck with the CBC Toronto first policy. Regardless of any official mandate they will always cater to the Leafs and their cheerleading TV personalities over and above anything else Canadian. Hell even the other networks have fallen in line, TSN has forever been refered to as the Tornto Sports Network and even Sportsnet - the one time supposed island of regional broadcasting, has largely abandoned ship for the center of the universe.

Bottom line is that this story may be based in Montreal but I think sentiments accross the country indicate that you guys aren't alone in your disappointment and I wanted to voice my support in your efforts. You have every right to want to take CBC to task...as unsuccessful it will likely prove to be.

Old
03-14-2006, 01:05 PM
NBHABSFAN

In fairness to TSN, that have showed many Habs games this year and have even picked up a few additional games. As for sportsnet on Saturday their 1st story was the Boom Boom ceremony and the game, before they got to the leafs coverage.

Old
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
gerbilanium

Well you Quebecers have one thing in common with Albertans. They both think CBC is full of it.

I love how CBC justifies the reams of absolute garbage they show on their tax funded channel by saying it is for the betterment of Canadiana and all the usual tripe. Making money cannot be the aim when producing such wonderous programs as North of 60.

But as soon as it comes to the Leafs that entire argument is flipped onto its head, all of a sudden their mandate has been changed, it now is about money and ratings. Something doesn't jive.

Old
03-14-2006, 04:25 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke
Regarding the Habs-Pens game it appears that CBC will be airing it in Quebec and Nova Scotia.
Exactly. The decision has nothing to do with the Habs and everything to do with #87 on the Penguins. If it were an Ottawa - Pittsburgh game, I'm sure they'd do a split broadcast for it as well, with Ottawa and NS/Atlantic getting the Penguins game and the rest of the country getting the Leafs.

My own email complaint just sent:

Quote:
Good evening,

I would like to add my voice of complaint to your disgraceful coverage of Montreal's tribute to the late Bernard Geoffrion on HNIC this Saturday evening. Geoffrion's accomplishments on the ice were nothing short of exceptional - 50-goal scorer, inventor of the slap shot, Hart trophy winner, 6-time Stanley Cup winner, member of the legendary 1956-1960 Montreal team that won 5 straight Stanley Cups. Montreal's planned retirement of Geoffrion's number 5 should have rated national CBC coverage in its own right. After Geoffrion's untimely death the very day that his number was to be retired, it was CBC's responsibility, as a taxpayer-funded network with a mandate to show programming of interest to all Canadians, to air the moving tribute to this great hockey player coast-to-coast.

That you decided not to do so, and to instead broadcast a game of much less significance between the badly overexposed Toronto Maple Leafs and struggling Tampa Bay Lightning was exceedingly poor judgment, especially given the fact that HNIC gave Tie Domi a 30-minute tribute the previous week for the occasion of his 1000th game in the NHL.

You can give Tie Domi 30 minutes, but can't give Bernard Geoffrion the same on the day of his death.

Something has gone very very wrong in your decision-making about hockey coverage in Canada. I urge you, as a taxpaying citizen of this country, to fix it, immediately. A public apology to all hockey fans this coming Saturday on HNIC would be a start.

Thank you for your time,

Old
03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Like everyone else outside of the GTA I think the CBC did a real disservice with how they handled that.

I am not a Habs fan and I am too young to appreciate what Boom Boom did for the HAB nation but as an Oiler fan I can certainly appreciate the importance of the moment to reflect back on the guys that played a big part on your favourite team. The big difference between my experiences with this type of ceremony that the Oilers have had and the Boom Boom ceremony is that it is unlikely anyone outside of Edmonton gives a hoot about an Oiler sweater going to the rafters where as in the case of Boom Boom, there are fans accross the nation that have an attachment simply because he played in an era where the entire country only had two Canadian teams to cheer for. As such guys like Geoffrian are as much a local hero to some as the guys that wear the home team sweaters today. This was a story that had a truly national perspective.

Like many of you, I am not sure that there can be uproar over CBC showing the Leafs game, it is what it is and it has always been that way. However the decision to not pre-empt the game in order to show the ceremony in Montreal speaks volumes about how HNIC views the country as a whole. Put in perspective with the drivel that they force fed us last week when Tie Domi was honoured for playing 1000 games and the volume of the message they are sending grows 10 fold. (Seriously, Tie freakin Domi? Who cares? The guy has been a border line regular for years and has done nothing of interest outside of Toronto, can the Leafs really be that desperate to find something to honour in the org?)

Unfortunately everyone is stuck with the CBC Toronto first policy. Regardless of any official mandate they will always cater to the Leafs and their cheerleading TV personalities over and above anything else Canadian. Hell even the other networks have fallen in line, TSN has forever been refered to as the Tornto Sports Network and even Sportsnet - the one time supposed island of regional broadcasting, has largely abandoned ship for the center of the universe.

Bottom line is that this story may be based in Montreal but I think sentiments accross the country indicate that you guys aren't alone in your disappointment and I wanted to voice my support in your efforts. You have every right to want to take CBC to task...as unsuccessful it will likely prove to be.

I think you sell your team short. When Messier's #11, Or Kurri or Anderson's numbers go up, i'll wanna see it. Have they done Gretz yet? I think I remember seeing it, but don't remember if it was in Edmonton or LA

Old
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
I think you sell your team short. When Messier's #11, Or Kurri or Anderson's numbers go up, i'll wanna see it. Have they done Gretz yet? I think I remember seeing it, but don't remember if it was in Edmonton or LA
Actually, they've done Gretzky, Kurri, Fuhr, and Coffee so far. Messier will be next year, opening night I'd bet (all the other's were home openers as well, I think). Wasn't the Gretzky one national? Man, if it wasn't that is also a true disservice to the entire country.

Old
03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
You posted a great article from the Ottawa Citizen on the Ottawa board, and I want to re-post it here.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...aab239&k=40800

I emailed the writer of this article (hadami@thecitizen.canwest.com) to show him my props. He forwarded my letter to someone else at the paper (editor?) and apparently they are wanting to take letters abotu this topic to put in the citizen as a what people have to say kind of thing. Anyone who has an opinion they want to be heard should email this guy.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands
I emailed the writer of this article (hadami@thecitizen.canwest.com) to show him my props. He forwarded my letter to someone else at the paper (editor?) and apparently they are wanting to take letters abotu this topic to put in the citizen as a what people have to say kind of thing. Anyone who has an opinion they want to be heard should email this guy.

I wrote him. Didn't get much of a response though

Old
03-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Ford Prefect

bump

Old
03-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Pangu

Has anyone got responses that they could post?

Closed Thread