HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtown33 View Post
Frk was considered top 10 before this year, but he had a concussion.
Button had Buissières in his first round until mid-season.
Nick Ebert was also considered as one of the best Dman of 2012 last year, don't know what happened but he seems to have disappeared of all the draft lists.
Ebert seems to have dropped down to the 2nd rd. But he still projects as a top pairing Dman. It's just this draft is so deep in Dmen that he's dropped down

Old
04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
rockjngo

1. Grigorenko, mikhail quebec qmjhl 6' 3.0" 200 c
2. Hertl, tomas slavia czrep 6' 2.0" 198 c
2. Koekkoek, slater peterborough ohl 6' 2.0" 184 d
3. Samuelsson, henrik edmonton whl 6' 2.25" 211 c/rw

Old
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Sam I Am

In order of descending preference. Sure, I've done a bit of wishful thinking but at least tried to keep from choosing a top ten overall in the third round!

1st round pick
  • Yakupov RW
  • Forsberg LW
  • Galchenyuk C
  • Grigorenko C

2nd round picks
  • Hertl C
  • Koekoek D
  • Jankowski C
  • Malcolm Subban G
  • Nikita Gusev LW
  • Boo Nieves C

3rd round pick
  • anybody above
  • Zharkov LW
  • Dillon Fournier D

Last edited by Sam I Am: 04-27-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Estimated_Prophet

I have noticed a trend over the years on these boards when discussing picks after the first round. People always seem to list their 2-4 round picks as players who were once thought to be 1st round contenders. This has proven to be a huge mistake.

When players fall like that it is usually for good reason like the Schremps and Sullivans of the world. The best picks are always players headed in the other direction like Subban, Lucic, Bergeron etc.

It will be the same old story as a team will end up with a few big names that dropped and they will be given credit by the posters as having fleeced the draft. Of course when you mention players who are rated lower by ISS and other agencies you get scoffed at. This is where Timmins has done his best work as the most humorous part is all of the confusion over each of his picks and why didn't he take such and such.

Hopefully the new GM leaves Timmins alone for the next two seasons and allows him to mine some gold in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
JohnnyReb

As fun as it would be to have two Subbans in the organization I wouldn't use a second rounder on a goalie. Yeah, our organizational depths sucks at goalie, but unless Price gets all Luongo-ish on us he ain't going anywhere for the next 5-7 years minimum (which will probably be the length of his contract anyways). So you'd be drafting Subban to trade him, in all likelihood. Which isn't necessarily a bad strategy if you think he is by far the BPA at that pick, but if you're only drafting him because he's good, and oh yeah we have his brother, then I think you would be better served picking up another positional player.

Backup goalies are a dime a dozen, AHL goalies even more so. I see no reason to be drafting one before the 4th or even 5th round.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
HabsFanFromOntario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I have noticed a trend over the years on these boards when discussing picks after the first round. People always seem to list their 2-4 round picks as players who were once thought to be 1st round contenders. This has proven to be a huge mistake.

When players fall like that it is usually for good reason like the Schremps and Sullivans of the world. The best picks are always players headed in the other direction like Subban, Lucic, Bergeron etc.

It will be the same old story as a team will end up with a few big names that dropped and they will be given credit by the posters as having fleeced the draft. Of course when you mention players who are rated lower by ISS and other agencies you get scoffed at. This is where Timmins has done his best work as the most humorous part is all of the confusion over each of his picks and why didn't he take such and such.

Hopefully the new GM leaves Timmins alone for the next two seasons and allows him to mine some gold in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Like Brandon Saad right

Old
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
bib
#believe

I really think this guy's been flying under the radar. Tomas Hertl. Our scouts are good though, I'm sure they've taken a good look at this guy.

Another guy who is really under the radar who I am big on is Griffin Reinhart. He could be a real beast in every regard.

Last edited by bib: 04-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old
04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
questhockey

Anyone think Stefan Matteau will be a slipper this year?
He is kinda mediocre skater, and has some discipline issues.

That said, I think he'd make a great 3rd line player, great size and strength, good bloodlines, and good guy for 2nd PP unit to stick in front of net. Kinda like Holmstrom/Cleary on Detroit.

I just have this feeling Matteau's going to slip and be ready for Canadiens 3rd round.
Any idea's?

Old
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
rockjngo

Quote:

I must say this is one of the most illogical post i've seen in a while. If we can get 1st round projected picks in the second or third round, I say go for it, pick the best player available. drafting is like a lottery, you pick a number and hope for the best. Like most young players, they don't peak until after you select them. Had the draft been for 20 year olds, you'll see nhl players picked in the first round.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanFromOntario View Post
Like Brandon Saad right
You could easily have put O'Sullivan's name in that sentence the year after his draft complete with the same sarcasm emoticon...........he has proven to be the headcase that caused him to drop.

Saad hasn't proven anything yet other than he is far more physically mature than the vast majority of kids his age. If he does make it he will be the exception as there are no absolutes with prospect development.

It is a little early to hoist him up as an example however.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I must say this is one of the most illogical post i've seen in a while. If we can get 1st round projected picks in the second or third round, I say go for it, pick the best player available. drafting is like a lottery, you pick a number and hope for the best. Like most young players, they don't peak until after you select them. Had the draft been for 20 year olds, you'll see nhl players picked in the first round.
If you have followed the draft for the past decade you would be in total agreement with me. What is illogical is referring to to kids that go outside of the 1st round as 1st rounders.........

Old
04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Saopolo123

Montreal need to bring back a Fin captain like Saku Koivu ! Teuvo is our next 1st round pick, Book it !

Old
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saopolo123 View Post
Montreal need to bring back a Fin captain like Saku Koivu ! Teuvo is our next 1st round pick, Book it !
I can say with alot of confidence that Timmin's will not select Teravainen at #3

Old
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can say with alot of confidence that Timmin's will not select Teravainen at #3
It is entirely possible that Montreal trades down to get the player that they want (not necessarily Teuvo) and pickup another asset in the process

Old
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
Anyone think Stefan Matteau will be a slipper this year?
He is kinda mediocre skater, and has some discipline issues.

That said, I think he'd make a great 3rd line player, great size and strength, good bloodlines, and good guy for 2nd PP unit to stick in front of net. Kinda like Holmstrom/Cleary on Detroit.

I just have this feeling Matteau's going to slip and be ready for Canadiens 3rd round.
Any idea's?
yeah. A late second rounder at best.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Saopolo123

Supprimer

Old
04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
As fun as it would be to have two Subbans in the organization I wouldn't use a second rounder on a goalie. Yeah, our organizational depths sucks at goalie, but unless Price gets all Luongo-ish on us he ain't going anywhere for the next 5-7 years minimum (which will probably be the length of his contract anyways). So you'd be drafting Subban to trade him, in all likelihood. Which isn't necessarily a bad strategy if you think he is by far the BPA at that pick, but if you're only drafting him because he's good, and oh yeah we have his brother, then I think you would be better served picking up another positional player.

Backup goalies are a dime a dozen, AHL goalies even more so. I see no reason to be drafting one before the 4th or even 5th round.
I'd make it my default plan that a goalie I drafted this year would have 2 more years in junior (even if he's a later birthdate like Subban) and then 4 full years in the AHL. So you're already at 6 years there. Plus a couple of years understudying in the backup role... so the "default plan" already carries you past any 5-7 Price window. If it was a European or somebody heading the college route, it could be even longer.

And then, any shortcuts the guy takes on that default (particularly on the AHL years) are all to the good. You just never know when we'll have the need or when the asset value will peak.

I'd pick Subban 33rd if he was there. (Well, depending on who else might have dropped down, of course). Combination of BPA and organizational needs. I'd also pick another goalie in later rounds too. Our cupboard is just that bare.

PK doesn't really come into it, but guess what... neither does Carey Price.

Old
Saopolo123

Quote:
Yeah for sure but i hope they trade down to get a top 5-10 pick to pick him.
Trade Pleckanec and Weber or Diaz and you can easly get this pick.

Old
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
It is entirely possible that Montreal trades down to get the player that they want (not necessarily Teuvo) and pickup another asset in the process
True......

If they like Teravainen it would be smart to tade down a few spots. I just don't see Timmin's coveting TT as he seems very physically immature and plays a little too much on the perimeter. If he was a center he would have more value but he is more of a finesse winger.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saopolo123 View Post
Yeah for sure but i hope they trade down to get a top 5-10 pick to pick him.
Trade Pleckanec and Weber or Diaz and you can easly get this pick.
If we are going to trade Plekanec then it will be to get Yakupov imo.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Any droppers that have been listed as 1st rounders in the past? Guys that are feeling draft year pressure or over scrutinized. Maybe get them in 2nd or 3rd round
There will be fallers. I'm with other who want Wilson, but like Biggs he'll be drafted in the first round. I wanted Biggs, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
In order of descending preference. Sure, I've done a bit of wishful thinking but at least tried to keep from choosing a top ten overall in the third round!

1st round pick
  • Yakupov RW
  • Forsberg LW
  • Galchenyuk C
  • Grigorenko C

2nd round picks
  • Hertl C
  • Koekoek D
  • Jankowski C
  • Malcolm Subban G
  • Nikita Gusev LW
  • Boo Nieves C

3rd round pick
  • anybody above
  • Zharkov LW
  • Dillon Fournier D
Zharkov ? Daniil Zharkov ? I thought he was a d for some reason. I still like him as a pick, though.

I'm also hoping for MacKenzie MacEachern. Could be an interesting pick, imo.

Just based on size and position, take a late pick and get Matej Beran

Old
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Et le But

Quote:
If we are going to trade Plekanec then it will be to get Yakupov imo.
Plekanec and Weber isn't going to get you anything close to the first pick.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Roulin

Lowetide makes the case that Edmonton passes on Yakupov - http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/04/read...ea-leaves.html

I hadn't read this before: "...NY’s agent saying the Oilers hadn’t been in touch..."

I remember the Oilers meeting the top candidates in a long, public process the last couple of times around.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Plekanec and Weber isn't going to get you anything close to the first pick.
I never mentioned anything about Weber??

Plekanec in combination with the 3rd would probably be overpayment to move up two spots. It would probably only take a 2nd round pick to move up if you go by past history of similar trades.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Lowetide makes the case that Edmonton passes on Yakupov - http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/04/read...ea-leaves.html

I hadn't read this before: "...NY’s agent saying the Oilers hadn’t been in touch..."

I remember the Oilers meeting the top candidates in a long, public process the last couple of times around.
Edmonton might trade this asset to get a top-notch d-man.

People seems to think that it is a major crime to trade top-picks... I would like the habs to trade theirs.

Just look at the list of traded picks in the NFL. Six of the seven first picks were traded assets

Closed Thread