HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Kristo isn't planning on signing with the Habs this year

Old
04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I wasn't expecting much more than a possible 3rd liner. But I was expecting some heart. Anyone know the medical update, he still have 10 toes? This is the same kid that got frost bite ..right?

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
I wasn't expecting much more than a possible 3rd liner. But I was expecting some heart. Anyone know the medical update, he still have 10 toes? This is the same kid that got frost bite ..right?
Kristo never had 3rd line potential, 2nd line or bust. He doesn't have the grit for 3rd line.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I was genuinely curious, if it was a play the team could make if necessary. But, using your logic, lets keep him at all costs because he's a sure thing.... because comparing him to McDonagh really fits the discussion here... we won't bring up the other dozen flopped college prospects we drooled about years ago that are playing in the beer league now.
No one said keep him at all costs, but comparing him to McDonagh, if you remember there was the same overreaction around here when McDonagh wanted to return to Wisconsin and posters were up in arms saying he should be traded and now look at him. So my example fits well as both were very good in the NCAA and both times fans here overreacted (shocking I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
First i know plenty about hockey, second i am not saying he is a bust all i am saying is the i dont think he will be more then 3rd line player with 2nd lie potential but will never really be a force
Kristo would be unlikely to be a 3rd liner, he's all about the offense. He was one of the top forwards in the NCAA this year and easily has 2nd line upside imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I remember we used to say Kristo would be a top 9 and hopefully top 6 forward. Has that changed? I remember he had a bad year last year and people were doubtful. Has his statistically stronger year regenerated some of the previous projections for him?
He should likely be a top 6 forward at some point, his speed and hands are his best assets. He needs to be more consistent and get stronger but when he turns it out look out as he can dominate when he wants to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Kristo never had 3rd line potential, 2nd line or bust. He doesn't have the grit for 3rd line.
agreed 100%

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
WestIslander

Our future top six is still bright with possible drafting Galchenyuk or Forsberg this summer.

If Kristo does not want to sign in Montreal then we don't want him here!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I thought Kristo was kind of in the Upshall/Kobasew mold. A tenacious guy that can really skate. Seems to me he could easily fit in on a 3rd line.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Our future top six is still bright with possible drafting Galchenyuk or Forsberg this summer.

If Kristo does not want to sign in Montreal then we don't want him here!
It's not the end of the world, but still it would kind of suck to lose an asset like that for nothing.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm definitely in favour of him returning to UND. I like to see players get a chance to fully develop at each rung, and it sounds like the Habs are going to be pressed for spots in Hamilton anyway... especially if we can land a couple of more veteran gunslinger types to take top-6 spots and help keep the farm team competitive. If Kristo can keep working at getting stronger, more consistent, more conscientous defensively, then he's in a good spot to do all that in UND, and if that meshes with his personal goals as well, all the better.

Plus if he rips it up in his senior year, that probably only helps increase his overall asset value. We may or may not be in a position to make any trades at the deadline, but given our current team makeup, I could see Kristo as a commodity we could afford to part with more readily than some others. And if that doesn't happen, he's a good prospect anyway and having him go pro with an extra year of development in a strong NCAA program under his belt will increase the immediate impact he makes in our organization.

I'm not sure that UND is really considered that much of a powerhouse though??? (didn't Nelson go pro?), but anyway, if we have any interest in Dell, and can watch MacMillan, and I have an FHL interest in Dillon Simpson too... hey, I'm all for getting on the UND bandwagon, and happy to have Kristo leading the charge.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
tlureb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm definitely in favour of him returning to UND. I like to see players get a chance to fully develop at each rung, and it sounds like the Habs are going to be pressed for spots in Hamilton anyway... especially if we can land a couple of more veteran gunslinger types to take top-6 spots and help keep the farm team competitive. If Kristo can keep working at getting stronger, more consistent, more conscientous defensively, then he's in a good spot to do all that in UND, and if that meshes with his personal goals as well, all the better.

Plus if he rips it up in his senior year, that probably only helps increase his overall asset value. We may or may not be in a position to make any trades at the deadline, but given our current team makeup, I could see Kristo as a commodity we could afford to part with more readily than some others. And if that doesn't happen, he's a good prospect anyway and having him go pro with an extra year of development in a strong NCAA program under his belt will increase the immediate impact he makes in our organization.

I'm not sure that UND is really considered that much of a powerhouse though??? (didn't Nelson go pro?), but anyway, if we have any interest in Dell, and can watch MacMillan, and I have an FHL interest in Dillon Simpson too... hey, I'm all for getting on the UND bandwagon, and happy to have Kristo leading the charge.
Basically two ways of looking at it:

Glass...half empty...
The guy's committed to partying with the boys through the whole College loop and to marketing his raw talent through free agency ...for big money and the Hockey Town of his choosing...once the College booze dries out... resulting in a half-empty head and a half-full Hockey career as stale as fizzled-out booze left over from an extended 'party time' curriculum...

Glass...half full...
The guy has come of age and will be just as committed to signing with the team which drafted him in the first place ...as he is, alongside his College pals, to bringing championship Hockey to North Dakota, ...believing his talent genuinely enhanced by bringing willful closure to College immaturity. An Alma Mater captaincy leading to a right wing spot on a Habs' future creative/character line with fellow North Dakotan Mark MacMillan on left wing and (Michaël Grigorenko?) at center.

I'm inching half-blindly towards the latter, ...the case for fulfillment.

tlureb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I thought Kristo was kind of in the Upshall/Kobasew mold. A tenacious guy that can really skate. Seems to me he could easily fit in on a 3rd line.
noooo, he's nothing like that at all. His game is all about speed, and making things happen in the offensive zone. he will take the body from time to time but it's more rare and not something he's overly good at. He's solid in his own end as his speed helps him cover a lot of ground but I don't know if he will ever be a regular on the PK in the NHL. Kristo is a guy that wants the puck on his stick, he will rush it up ice, he will go to the heavy traffic areas with the puck at high speed, he's got slick hands but his passing game has developed by leaps and bounds. He can do damage on the PP, as he can be used on the point or up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
They won another WCHA championship despite not having enough players to dress a full roster, they have one of the top coaches in the NCAA and they usually get several good incoming freshman. They could end up getting Seth Jones if he doesn't go the WHL route. If they lose Knight and Dell that will hurt though, but I haven't heard if they will turn pro or not.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Normally I wouldn't care too much about something like this, but this guy is supposed to be one of our very top prospects, and I really haven't seen any improvement from him over his 3 year NCAA career so far. I'm sure there's some way of explaining how age and experience MUST mean that he's technically "better" now, but I see now basically the same thing I saw starting out the '09/10 NCAA season. Granted, he was pretty damn good going in, but I expect to see a fair amount of development between ages 18-21. He still looks like an interesting prospect more than a potential roster player (watch an NHL game, then watch an NCAA game to get an appreciation for timing/speed/traffic differences for example), to me anyway. So one more year down there seems like a bigger "waste" (or developmental stall) than most cases I'm used to discussing, especially given that he's an offensively talented forward, and not a defensive defenseman (makes a difference developmentally with respect to time/experience).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:45 PM
tlureb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Normally I wouldn't care too much about something like this, but this guy is supposed to be one of our very top prospects, and I really haven't seen any improvement from him over his 3 year NCAA career so far. I'm sure there's some way of explaining how age and experience MUST mean that he's technically "better" now, but I see now basically the same thing I saw starting out the '09/10 NCAA season. Granted, he was pretty damn good going in, but I expect to see a fair amount of development between ages 18-21. He still looks like an interesting prospect more than a potential roster player (watch an NHL game, then watch an NCAA game to get an appreciation for timing/speed/traffic differences for example), to me anyway. So one more year down there seems like a bigger "waste" (or developmental stall) than most cases I'm used to discussing, especially given that he's an offensively talented forward, and not a defensive defenseman (makes a difference developmentally with respect to time/experience).
It's usually clear-cut. But there are those rare instances whereby improvements between the ears...while somewhat stealthier than ostentatious statistical 'prima facie's...trump metrics on a curriculum vitae.

We shall soon see...

tlureb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Hopefully, at the conclusion of his senior year...he'll be able to jump straight to the NHL. Maybe joining the Habs for an extended playoff run

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
I really hope Kristo dominates the NCAA next year and hit the gym to get stronger for his debut with our organization in two years. He is one of our few forward prospect with top 6 potential.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if the guy is fully commited to our organization. I still remember this questionnable choice of gear in an interview. I do not think we should put too much stock into this but still..
Wtf man, an Oilers t-shirt? Are you kidding me.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
pretty much this. Kid wants a degree. good for him.
I'm glad someone brought up the desirability of getting a degree compared to playing in the AHL. Kristo had his reasons.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I've watched Kristo since he was in the USHL and I can say he has made big strides in his overall game. When I first saw him he was a kid that would shoot anytime from anywhere and was much more of a puck hog. Since being put on the point on the blueline his passing game has gone from something that wasn't overly good to now it's one of his main assets.

Personally I think he's made a lot of improvement since we drafted him, he's still got holes in his game that are a concern but overall I think he's going to be a very solid NHLer in a couple years.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Wtf man, an Oilers t-shirt? Are you kidding me.
Yeah wtf is up with this. I don't really care but this guy better be careful and aware lol.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote