Need some help from my fellow brothers as this simply doesn't compute. I know the Cap fan base is excited as well they should be for knocking off the defending champs. They are very and I mean VERY confident that they will knock us off as well most say in 5 or 6 which is fine as delusional as that may be but that's what homerism will do for you. Obviously we are truly getting dissrespected by the Cap fan base...bigtime...that's a fact. Here's the thing that startles me. I keep reading that Holtby due to his nice play in the Bruins series is Hank's equal and will neutralize Lundqvist's effect on the series. I kid you not. If I've read that 40 times, I must have read that over 100 by now.
Maybe I'm missing something here but IMO, that is exactly our biggest advantage...between the pipes. Offense,defense and special teams..sure they are important and we need to make sure we match their intensity which I think we undoubtadly will . But this is not Ken Dryden circa '1971 we are talking about here with this kid Holtby. Kid had a real nice series I give him credit. Last time I recall though a rookie leading his team really deep in the playoffs was Cam Ward for Carolina during their Cup run.
Anyways, Holtby is not even in the same galaxy as Hank and it's kind of laugh out loud funny that Cap fans think their kid is going to match Hank and they are actually banking on that happening...I think they are going to be very dissapointed. Heck even in their own game day threads I perused in games 6 & 7 alot of them were saying how shaky he started too look and how lucky he got on missplays of his. I don't know fellas, I think this is where the series is won...between the pipes. And like I said unless I'm missing something we have a HUGE advantage there.
They are a fair weather fanbase from a horrible sports city. These people elected Marion Barry mayor.......twice. Who cares what they think?
Caps fan in peace. I can't hate the Rangers; my whole family is from NY and are huge Ranger fans. I think Torts is a smug ***** but that's besides the point. I was hoping for someone else that way I could still cheer for the Blueshirts. **** happens.
I think this is going to be an awesome series and I'm pumped to see it unfold. A few points to address some stuff I've read on here.
1. The confidence of the Caps fans comes just as much, if not more, from how we're playing than playing against the Rangers. Never before have we seen the Caps play committed, team defense. There is still a lot of respect on our side for the #1 seed in the EC.
2. Nobody on your team comes close to Chara/Seidenberg. I watch a ton of Rangers hockey and I think you guys have better depth than the B's, but to say Staal/MDZ/McD/Girardi are on the same level as Chara/Seidenberg is homerism. Chara/Seidenberg are the elite shutdown pair in the NHL.
3. Holtby was outstanding in the series, but he was helped a lot by our team. The majority of the Bruins shots were from the outside. Our team did a great job of keeping the shooting lanes clear so Holtby could see the shots, and they did an outstanding job at nullifying 2nd/3rd chance opportunities by clearing the crease.
4. I'm very interested to see how Ovie does this series. He still led our team in points last series and he was his normal self throwing the body around. Dale decided to place him on a line with Laich and Brouwer as a decoy and let Backstrom/Semin/MoJo take Boston's 2nd pair. Will be interested to see if he adjusts this series.
5. Will Boyle be back? I have nightmares of seeing Boyle/Crider against Wideman and Schultz.
Good luck to you guys. Should be fun.
Except for the fact that Staal, Girardi and McDonagh are all significantly better then Seidenberg.