HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Quick gets snubbed for the Hart

Old
04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Luckily I don't need a lot of sleep to function, but staying up to 12:30 am to watch the Kings would be brutal if I had to do it every night. You really expect East coast sports writers to stay up every night until after 1 am to watch teams that they aren't covering? No way, that is why there are writers based out West to cover the West.

It's called a "bias", but it is just simple numbers. More East coast teams equals more writers based back East.

Some writers seem to stay up almost every night just based on twitter posts, but that is the exception to the rule.
There is this really cool new invention called the DVR. I hear that you can even skip the commercial breaks, the between period chatter, and game stoppages.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Luckily I don't need a lot of sleep to function, but staying up to 12:30 am to watch the Kings would be brutal if I had to do it every night. You really expect East coast sports writers to stay up every night until after 1 am to watch teams that they aren't covering? No way, that is why there are writers based out West to cover the West.

It's called a "bias", but it is just simple numbers. More East coast teams equals more writers based back East.

Some writers seem to stay up almost every night just based on twitter posts, but that is the exception to the rule.
I cant speak for hockey but in baseball, writers will stay in the press boxes until late into the night and they have the games on tv. I cant see it being much different in hockey.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
There is this really cool new invention called the DVR. I hear that you can even skip the commercial breaks, the between period chatter, and game stoppages.
Writers don't have as much time as you'd think to sit around and watch DVR games all day, especially if there are a dozen games or more a night.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:42 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Writers don't have as much time as you'd think to sit around and watch DVR games all day, especially if there are a dozen games or more a night.
They don't have to watch every game. They know they are going to be voting on these awards and which teams the candidates for the awards play on, so they can handle it.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
They don't have to watch every game. They know they are going to be voting on these awards and which teams the candidates for the awards play on, so they can handle it.
Don't hold your breath on that. It's never going to happen.

You are giving the typical writer too much credit. Most seem to just pull up the NHL stats page and fill out their balots. How else do you explain Stamkos making the final three on a team that finished 10th in their conference?

You almost always see the points and goals leader as a "finalist", no matter where their team finished.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
They would know only towards the final third of the season roughly. Especially for the Hart. It takes a while for those guys to seperate themselves.

Not to mention that there's more than just Quick, Lundqvist, Malkin, Giroux and Stamkos to watch for these guys. You don't think Karlsson, Spezza, Chara, Weber, Rinne, Smith and likely others weren't getting at least some discussion, and likely some votes, for the Hart? Do you have the time to watch all of these guys night after night and still do a full time job?

I don't like the system either, I think it should be a vote from GM's, coaches, player representatives and others actually involved in the game, but until it is, that's the system we got and I think you underestimate the hours writers put in. Adding in watching literally hours a night of game film to the duties isn't so simple.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
bobafettish*

i dont mind that quick wasnt nominated but the fact that lundqvist is? FU east coast.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
So a hypothetical situation... Quick wins the Vezina as being the best goalie in the league, and he is veiwed then as not even the most valuable player at his position in a year where he played on one of the worst offensive teams in the league? Hehe, that's just pathetic.
Quick won't be winning the Vezina now. It's pretty obvious that if they voted Lundqvist in with a Hart nomination, they would have also voted for him as top goalie. Quick's only hope is that someone besides the writers vote on the Vezina but i'm too lazy to look it up right now

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
tantrum4*

I don't get all the Stamkos hate in here. The guy just scored 60 goals, it's only the second time that's happened in the past 15 years. He deserves a Hart nomination all day long. Too many people get hung up on the whole "most valuable to his team" thing. Even though that is the literal meaning of "MVP", we all know that since the beginning of time that's never the case in how the voting is done. People vote for the MVP of the league, regardless of what he's done for his team or where his team ends up in the standings. Is it right? No, probably not, but that's just the way it is.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Quick won't be winning the Vezina now. It's pretty obvious that if they voted Lundqvist in with a Hart nomination, they would have also voted for him as top goalie.
Writers vote for the Hart. GM's vote for the Vezina.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:12 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Well there we go! He's got a chance!

Old
04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I think enough of the West vote gets split between Quick and Rinne that Lundqvist wins it.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Omni Owl

Like we need him to win any more awards to inflate his contract....

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
They would know only towards the final third of the season roughly. Especially for the Hart. It takes a while for those guys to seperate themselves.

Not to mention that there's more than just Quick, Lundqvist, Malkin, Giroux and Stamkos to watch for these guys. You don't think Karlsson, Spezza, Chara, Weber, Rinne, Smith and likely others weren't getting at least some discussion, and likely some votes, for the Hart? Do you have the time to watch all of these guys night after night and still do a full time job?

I don't like the system either, I think it should be a vote from GM's, coaches, player representatives and others actually involved in the game, but until it is, that's the system we got and I think you underestimate the hours writers put in. Adding in watching literally hours a night of game film to the duties isn't so simple.
Yeah, but like I said they don't have to watch every game and since these guys play on teams that play each other they can often kill multiple birds with one stone.

I don't know how many games a writer from an Eastern Conference team sees Quick play, but I bet it is fewer than 6 or 7.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Yeah, but like I said they don't have to watch every game and since these guys play on teams that play each other they can often kill multiple birds with one stone.

I don't know how many games a writer from an Eastern Conference team sees Quick play, but I bet it is fewer than 6 or 7.
The same can be said of West coast writers for East Coast players.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Comparing the hockey markets between the two conferences, there has to be a ton more writers in the East

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:11 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Doesn't matter. Quick is the first player to credit the rest of his team for his success.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:34 PM
ru4reals

Haven't read through everyone's post but freakin Lundqvist? What a joke! Should have been Malkin, Girioux, and Quick! Pathetic!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
I would guess a lot of the writers watch the East coast games before the West coast games start.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by robitaillefan View Post
Stamkos? Stamkos?.....how is he the most valuable to his team when they didn't even make the playoffs...?

Sure 60 goals in this era is great, but come on people....not being a LA homer here , but without quick , we would be picking in the top 5...Even Giroux over stamkos....Giroux carried the flyers on his back....he was there horse....

Malkin and lundqvist....sure...but not stamkos
As far as valuable to the team not much difference between Giroux, Stamkos, Quick, Smith(PHX), Rinne, and Lundqvist, but the clear winner would be Malkin.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't think anyone could have realistically expected Quick to be a finalist. The real question was Giroux versus Lundqvist. I would have gone with Giroux. It's a selective thing, in my view, that Hank gets the nod this year but Thomas did not last year nor did Miller the year before.

Even though it's a different set of voters, Lundqvist will probably win the Vezina, too. To me he and Quick were pretty even. When you're talking about a big eastern market versus virtually any true western market (not Detroit or Chicago), the eastern market wins out. Sportswriters are old and don't stay up late!

I don't want to denigrate Lundqvist's campaign, it was special, but it was not so much more special than some others we have seen. I think they got the Vezina finalists right, it was not that difficult because Smith didn't play great in the first half and the Blues split their starts, but here I would have said it should have been Malkin, Giroux and probably Stamkos, 60 goals is a lot even on a lousy team.

04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Suck total crap.

East coast bias is real and if there is any doubt this should quite it.

That said this should pretty much spell Vezina for Quick.

Quick gets teh Vezina and Henry gets the Hart and I vomit in my mouth a little more every day.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
jrcortez25

I thought the nomination goes to the player who is the most VALUABLE. Quick had way better numbers than Lundvquist.

No worries as long as Quick gets the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup!!

jrcortez25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Suck total crap.

East coast bias is real and if there is any doubt this should quite it.

That said this should pretty much spell Vezina for Quick.

Quick gets teh Vezina and Henry gets the Hart and I vomit in my mouth a little more every day.
Huh? The PHWA votes on the Hart, GMs/Coaches vote on the Vezina. Even so, this pretty much locks up the Vezina for Lundqvist if anything which, honestly, he already had locked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcortez25 View Post
I thought the nomination goes to the player who is the most VALUABLE. Quick had way better numbers than Lundvquist.

No worries as long as Quick gets the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup!!
Agree with the second part obviously but where are these "way better" numbers? As much accusations being flung toward eastern reporters, I get the sense that a lot of people pushing Quick hard haven't seen much of Lundqvist. He had four more wins in seven fewer starts with sv% and GAA being essentially even. Quick had two more shutouts, is there that big a difference between 8 and 10? Plus the Kings definitely have a better defense than New York. I am definitely not a fan of Hank or the Rangers but let's give credit where it's due.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I cant speak for hockey but in baseball, writers will stay in the press boxes until late into the night and they have the games on tv. I cant see it being much different in hockey.
If you're on a daily deadline there is no way it's any later than 12, probably closer to 11. Most people are out of there not long after deadline.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote