HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Luke Adam have a spot next year

Old
04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
aceface33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
On the train to Mark Mancari-ville.
But Mancari was actually good in the AHL.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Not in Buffalo.

Was he on the wing or in the middle for Rochester after his demotion?

The team added Flynn, Sundher and Catenacci (though he may have to return to juniors if he doesn't make the Sabres - someone correct me on that if I'm wrong) and also have Varone in the middle. I feel like if Adam has a spot in the organization, it's on the wing in Rochester.

I find it ironic that 2/3 of that dominant Traverse City line, Kassian and Adam, may not even be with the organization next summer.
Wing for the majority of the time.
I'm not sure what they're planning to do with Flynn, but I believe he played wing at the end of the year too.
You are correct; if Catenacci doesn't make the Sabres, he has to go back to the OHL.

Right now, no, I don't see Adam making the team next season if he's still in the organization.
He is not a center and there won't be many open spots on the wing.
He'll be a recall option.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
collllld blooded....lol

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
joshjull

Quote:

How quickly some posters have forgotten the amazing season he had last year in the AHL as a rookie.

Quote:
collllld blooded....lol
I would say its ignorant of the facts not cold blooded.

Adam's numbers last year as a 20 year rookie in the AHL; 57gms 29g 33a 62pts (1.11 ppg). He also won AHL rookie of the year.

Mancari didn't score 29 goals in the AHL until his 4th pro season (as a 24 year old) and it took him 73gms to do it (to Adam's 57gms). It was also Mancari's first season with more than 57pts. Mancari also didn't produce a better point per game season than Adam's rookie AHL campaign until he was 26 in his 6th pro season.

Adam is still only 21 years old and wont be 22 for almost 2 more months (June 18th). He is young for his draft year. Why poster feel the need to bury him like they have is beyond me. He struggled in his 27gms back on the farm. It happens. Let the kid get his bearings back after the season and get refocused for next year. He'll start in the AHL and hopefully can get his game back on track

Last edited by joshjull: 04-27-2012 at 01:42 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I watched at least half the games Luke played in Rochester after his demotion, and I'm confident in asserting that he's done with this organization. He was downright awful. It's one thing to be a bit snake-bitten on the scoring side of things, particularly after suffering a big blow to your ego by getting bussed down I90. But if you can't score, at least do something. Use your big body, finish your checks, work your ass off in the corners like Matt Ellis does. Instead, he floated for the most part, and my brother and I took to calling him Lazy Luke.

He's too slow to play center, and there's no room for him in Buffalo on LW with Vanek, Leino, Gerbe, and now Foligno already there. (I could argue Gerbe's also possibly on the outs with Foligno's emergence and the fact that Leino is untradeable.)

Adam's also not physical enough for a fourth line role (by a country mile). Therefore, I think the Sabres need to send him off as part of a package deal before the rest of the league catches onto the fact he might not be as blue-chip as we once thought. He has an AHL ROY and some goals in the NHL. Hopefully it counts for something to someone...
I would think that age a maturity factor into his development. Being up with the big club then getting demoted can have a significant impact on a young guy. I'm not prepared to say that he's done. We have seen some real talent out of Adam and I would think the organization is hopeful he has a good camp and is the plans, but if they have shifted to win now, I would expect that they will look to FA before they take a wait and see approach with a prospect.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
sabresEH

Adam for Kassian

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
barcs

Quote:
On Buffalo? Hell no.
On Rochester? Good question.
pretty much this.

barcs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
bobbyorrrrr

Unless a legitimate shake up happens in the organization, Adam will be their first forward call up. The kid had a rough half a season and people are done with him? Its ridiculous. With his shot and size he is a prototype for the NHL. He has also steadily increased his skating ability each year. At the worst he will be a scoring winger in the NHL within two years.

bobbyorrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorrrrr View Post
Unless a legitimate shake up happens in the organization, Adam will be their first forward call up. The kid had a rough half a season and people are done with him? Its ridiculous. With his shot and size he is a prototype for the NHL. He has also steadily increased his skating ability each year. At the worst he will be a scoring winger in the NHL within two years.
Which isn't exactly at the top of the Sabres need list, either on the current roster or in prospects. That's why if Regier has an opportunity to move him for something that is needed, he should do it.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I watched at least half the games Luke played in Rochester after his demotion, and I'm confident in asserting that he's done with this organization. He was downright awful. It's one thing to be a bit snake-bitten on the scoring side of things, particularly after suffering a big blow to your ego by getting bussed down I90. But if you can't score, at least do something. Use your big body, finish your checks, work your ass off in the corners like Matt Ellis does. Instead, he floated for the most part, and my brother and I took to calling him Lazy Luke.

He's too slow to play center, and there's no room for him in Buffalo on LW with Vanek, Leino, Gerbe, and now Foligno already there. (I could argue Gerbe's also possibly on the outs with Foligno's emergence and the fact that Leino is untradeable.)
Are posters allergic to organizational depth?

Why on earth would we decide to get rid of a kid who could play in Rochester because he isn't going to start in Buffalo? Is Rochester so overflowing with players that he isn't needed down there?

Quote:
Adam's also not physical enough for a fourth line role (by a country mile). Therefore, I think the Sabres need to send him off as part of a package deal before the rest of the league catches onto the fact he might not be as blue-chip as we once thought. He has an AHL ROY and some goals in the NHL. Hopefully it counts for something to someone...
I have no issue if he is included in a trade. But the idea that he needs to be gone asap is tad ridiculous.

Very few, if any, posters felt he would start last season in the NHL. Most felt he needed more time in the AHL. He worked very hard last summer to make a push for a roster spot. He got a big break when Roy and Hecht were injured and missed most or all of camp. He ran with that chance and ended up centering our #1 line into the season. We all knew (even me, one of his biggest backers) at some point he would come back down to earth. The only question was how far down would he go when that happened. Thats because Adam still had too many parts of his game to work on, his defensive game being the biggest issue.

All the positive from his rookie year in the AHL, the Traverse City tournament, his summer prep work and then his preseason/early regular season success is some how non-existant to you and others calling for him to be dumped by the organization. Why? The good far outweighs the bad for Adam as a pro. I have little doubt he will get his game back on track next season and be a productive AHLer. Whether he can get his game up to par enough to get another shot in the NHL I have no idea. But why the rush to get rid of him?

Last edited by joshjull: 04-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
On the train to Mark Mancari-ville.
I think I heard a Ziiinnnngg!!

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

How quickly some posters have forgotten the amazing season he had last year in the AHL as a rookie.

I would say its ignorant of the facts not cold blooded.

Adam's numbers last year as a 20 year rookie in the AHL; 57gms 29g 33a 62pts (1.11 ppg). He also won AHL rookie of the year.

Mancari didn't score 29 goals in the AHL until his 4th pro season (as a 24 year old) and it took him 73gms to do it (to Adam's 57gms). It was also Mancari's first season with more than 57pts. Mancari also didn't produce a better point per game season than Adam's rookie AHL campaign until he was 26 in his 6th pro season.

Adam is still only 21 years old and wont be 22 for almost 2 more months (June 18th). He is young for his draft year. Why poster feel the need to bury him like they have is beyond me. He struggled in his 27gms back on the farm. It happens. Let the kid get his bearings back after the season and get refocused for next year. He'll start in the AHL and hopefully can get his game back on track
He had bad season, which, on HF, means you suck, will never be good again, should be replaced by somebody we've seen play hockey < 5 times, and should be on the next bus out of town.

In other news, did you know Derek Roy will never score more than 40 pts again in his career?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He had bad season, which, on HF, means you suck, will never be good again, should be replaced by somebody we've seen play hockey < 5 times, and should be on the next bus out of town.

In other news, did you know Derek Roy will never score more than 40 pts again in his career?
y u still talkin bout him? Thought we traded him to PGH for Staal?

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:37 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

My comment was more about his drive. Mancari had tools too, he just never gave me the "I want it" feeling. I get less of it from Adam, but his subsequent play after his demotion is concerning.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Well done

Old
04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
My comment was more about his drive. Mancari had tools too, he just never gave me the "I want it" feeling. I get less of it from Adam, but his subsequent play after his demotion is concerning.
I have faith that a kid that worked his ass off for a shot at a roster spot last summer isn't going to just quit on his goal.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
gallagt01

It drives me up a wall when people (not necessarily on HF) say that Ruff has ruined Adam. I hear it frequently.

Lindy can be faulted for many things. "Ruining Adam" isn't one of them. Firstly, Adam isn't ruined. At the moment, he may be broken. But he certainly isn't ruined. Young players struggle - it's part of the gig. Secondly, Lindy didn't "break" Adam. Adam broke Adam. Adam's going to have to fix Adam, too. I'm confident he will.

It just may not be in this organization.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:22 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Luke made me sit up take notice at the beginning of last season. He slid back a bit afterwards because he stopped doing the things that got him on this team. (Yeah, linemates were changed too but that's hockey...esp. under Lindy).

He was in the young guns all star game. Maybe it all went to his head and he certainly did not handle the demotion well. But geez, sometimes I think we expect an awful lot of maturity out of young players. To me that's something they learn via experience.

Off season often does wonders for a player's commitment and skill set. If he sits around eating cheeseburgers, he's toast. But if he decides to train like Cody Hodgson is purported to do and works hard, he's got a lot of years in front of him playing the game that he obviously loves. I think he eventually works his way back into the Sabres line up in a years time... injury recall most likely. If not, he'll find his way to another team. I haven't given up on him and I originally was a strong critic.......

Last edited by littletonhockeycoach: 04-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:17 PM
sand1138man

NO NO NO NO NO, useless player, never has even been remotely effective as a pro. jp lossman was supposed to be good too but...well...

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Luceni

Adam is a carreer AHL'er. If he gets a rosterspot on the sabres we're clearly not a contender.

He can't play on the 4th line because he is slower, less physical and a much worse faceoff man than gaustad was. And if adam is one of your top 3 centers you have got a problem.

I can see him making the nhl on a team like columbus or the islanders but that's pretty much it.

He just hasn't it in him. he didn't play well last year and he was horrible down in rochester. I have more hope for cantenacci and sundher now.

EDIT: can a mod please transfer
this post to the adam thread?

Last edited by Luceni: 05-03-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:41 AM
BritSabre

Maybe he burned out last year? Worked through the summer and made the team. That's a great achievement. He needs to work on his skating and find a way to bring his off ice work ethic to the game.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
There is a lot of talk about bringing in another center, but we still have Adam down on the farm. Where does he fit in the plans for this organization? Did they mishandle him?
I don't think they mishandled him, though perhaps they should have sent him down a bit earlier. I don't think he "has" a spot but there will be a spot there for him to win if he can step it up in camp. I don't see him making it longterm at center, so I'm looking at a wing spot that he can fight for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Not a bad option at all. I like his size on that line. The question is can he bring Tropp's intensity?
Players just don't develop that level of intensity. They either have it or they don't. He can learn to be more physical and use his body more effectively, which is something rookies usually need to learn, but he'll never play like Tropp.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Adam is a carreer AHL'er. If he gets a rosterspot on the sabres we're clearly not a contender.

He can't play on the 4th line because he is slower, less physical and a much worse faceoff man than gaustad was. And if adam is one of your top 3 centers you have got a problem.

I can see him making the nhl on a team like columbus or the islanders but that's pretty much it.

He just hasn't it in him. he didn't play well last year and he was horrible down in rochester. I have more hope for cantenacci and sundher now.

EDIT: can a mod please transfer
this post to the adam thread?
Luke just needs more time to develop (skating coach will help - allowing him to get ahead of the plays to give him more time to see the ice) - his confidence is way down & unfortunately he lacks the chemistry to play with just anyone. The sabres need to find some mates for him as a LW, and he will be fine on the 2nd/3rd line in time. His showing at Traverse should be an indicator of what he is capable of.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:59 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Luke just needs more time to develop (skating coach will help - allowing him to get ahead of the plays to give him more time to see the ice) - his confidence is way down & unfortunately he lacks the chemistry to play with just anyone. The sabres need to find some mates for him as a LW, and he will be fine on the 2nd/3rd line in time. His showing at Traverse should be an indicator of what he is capable of.
agree to disagree, Adam is soft and a below average skater. He either has to crack the 2nd line or AHL. I see us moving him well his value is still high

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
agree to disagree, Adam is soft and a below average skater. He either has to crack the 2nd line or AHL. I see us moving him well his value is still high
Agree to agree on both of these points.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote