HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teams wearing black = more penalties

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2012, 12:30 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 58,865
vCash: 500
Teams wearing black = more penalties

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151383...sc=tw&cc=share

So, can we convince the guys to wear teal in playoffs next year?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
  #2
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Irony


The Sharks were the least number of times shorthanded in the entire league.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
  #3
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 58,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Irony


The Sharks were the least number of times shorthanded in the entire league.
What about playoffs?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
  #4
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
What about playoffs?
Not quite least, but close. I didn't do the per game, but on totals the Blues had one less. It still looked very low compared to others.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...me=penaltyKill

Look at the TS column.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:57 PM
  #5
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not quite least, but close. I didn't do the per game, but on totals the Blues had one less. It still looked very low compared to others.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...me=penaltyKill

Look at the TS column.
Boston and LA both on the lower half of the league, pretty much debunks that myth. The only black jersey team that is upper half of the league in penalties in POs was pittsburgh.

(going by home TS would be more accurate because there's when teams are actually wearing black, in which case: SJ, Bos, Pit, LAK are all fewest 5.)

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  #6
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Boston and LA both on the lower half of the league, pretty much debunks that myth. The only black jersey team that is upper half of the league in penalties in POs was pittsburgh.

(going by home TS would be more accurate because there's when teams are actually wearing black, in which case: SJ, Bos, Pit, LAK are all fewest 5.)
Good point.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  #7
Strider2552
Well that happened
 
Strider2552's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UC Berkeley
Country: United States
Posts: 229
vCash: 500


- Brodie's response to the article.

Strider2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
  #8
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!
 
HOOCH2173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fullerton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider2552 View Post


- Brodie's response to the article.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
  #9
Mhoogasian94123
Registered User
 
Mhoogasian94123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider2552 View Post


- Brodie's response to the article.
Brodie must be colorblind. That looks like a rejected idea for the SF Bulls jersey.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
  #10
eastbayjoker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
As a lifelong Oakland Raider fan I can attest to this being accurate.

eastbayjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:21 PM
  #11
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
I remember an article I read years ago that said teams that wore black uniforms, tended to be more aggressive. Maybe that has something to do with it as well. And if so, maybe we are better off wearing black.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
  #12
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I remember an article I read years ago that said teams that wore black uniforms, tended to be more aggressive. Maybe that has something to do with it as well. And if so, maybe we are better off wearing black.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the teams that are more aggressive per the findings, chose black due to their personalities...not that choosing black then magically makes you a more aggressive team.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
  #13
Thwarter
All out of bubblegum
 
Thwarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Break Even Territory
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
So if we go with this jersey then we'll get more power plays?


Thwarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
  #14
Linkster
Rebuildt?
 
Linkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coastal Sharkifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,950
vCash: 500
The study was based on 50,000 NHL games over 25 years - players spent nearly a million minutes in penalty boxes in those games... and got paid for every second.

Just think how much money the Owners could save if they docked player pay for PIMs. It would be like a bazillion bucks. Bettman's lawyers are probably drooling all over this.

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
  #15
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice
 
Channing Tatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
i don't know why the players want to look skinnier...

Channing Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
  #16
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the teams that are more aggressive per the findings, chose black due to their personalities...not that choosing black then magically makes you a more aggressive team.
Maybe for those that choose, but concerning most teams colors there is no yearly choice involved, they simply wear black because their teams color is black.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
  #17
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanxstereo View Post
i don't know why the players want to look skinnier...
It was Wellwood's idea, and they decided to just stick with it.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
  #18
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,095
vCash: 500
In before the "That's Racist!" kid.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:34 PM
  #19
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
The copy editor that wrote that headline needs a little lesson in hockey terms. He/she is using "draw" to mean "receive" penalties, when it means the opposite in hockey language.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
  #20
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
Maybe for those that choose, but concerning most teams colors there is no yearly choice involved, they simply wear black because their teams color is black.

How many teams have black jerseys as their primary? I think this would be a choice situation just like the sharks choosing the black over the teal.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
  #21
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
How many teams have black jerseys as their primary? I think this would be a choice situation just like the sharks choosing the black over the teal.
To be clear, the article wasn't just about hockey teams wearing black. If you thought it was that makes a smidge more sense (but still - PIT, BUFF of 5 years ago, VAN at various times, LA current and various other times, ANA, DAL, OTT, BOS). Otherwise I hope you realize Black is one of the more common colors.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:04 AM
  #22
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
To be clear, the article wasn't just about hockey teams wearing black. If you thought it was that makes a smidge more sense (but still - PIT, BUFF of 5 years ago, VAN at various times, LA current and various other times, ANA, DAL, OTT, BOS). Otherwise I hope you realize Black is one of the more common colors.

I didn't read the article, doesn't really interest me because implying that a teams aggressiveness is somehow correlated with their team colors is horribly flawed in any way that doesn't end with the conscious choice of a color being made by those aggressive personalities of the players on the team, rather than the asinine thought that wearing a black jersey all of a sudden will make your team more aggressive.

There was a recent study that showed that drivers of expensive luxury cars are by a statistically significant margin, rude and selfish drivers. The car itself didn't make those people rude, their personality and feeling of self importance did that...same principal applies here.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
  #23
Mhoogasian94123
Registered User
 
Mhoogasian94123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
So if we go with this jersey then we'll get more power plays?

Only if we wear this in October.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
  #24
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
I didn't read the article, doesn't really interest me because implying that a teams aggressiveness is somehow correlated with their team colors is horribly flawed in any way that doesn't end with the conscious choice of a color being made by those aggressive personalities of the players on the team, rather than the asinine thought that wearing a black jersey all of a sudden will make your team more aggressive.

There was a recent study that showed that drivers of expensive luxury cars are by a statistically significant margin, rude and selfish drivers. The car itself didn't make those people rude, their personality and feeling of self importance did that...same principal applies here.
The article said teams wearing black tended to be more aggressive than the other team--not that wearing black magically makes them more aggressive as you suggest. Whether you believe it or not it is scientifically proven that colors can affect a persons mood and even heart-rate. You claim that it's more about the personalities that tend to choose certain colors, which in other examples (like the car owners) I would agree with. But the Sharks choosing the black armor jersey's is the exception to the rule. In the overwhelmingly vast majority of cases, the players do not choose their teams color making your main point moot.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.