HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ECSF: New York Rangers (1) vs Washington Capitals (7)

Old
04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
It sucks so much. I have a family party tomorrow at 4:00
Uhh no you have an HF family party at 3:00 right here on HF... Priorities.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Anyone else hate that it's a 3pm game instead of 7pm? Dammit, I planned on yardwork tomorrow afternoon!
Not really, just gives me a valid excuse to start drinking earlier tomorrow!

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
RichieCallyGabby

I foresee a huge game from Hank tomorrow, we finally get to begin shutting the Caps down and shutting their ****ty fan base the **** up!!!!

RichieCallyGabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I predict by the end of this series, we'll all hate Brouwer.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Dorado*

What the NYR have in their favor is they refuse to have a 3 game losing streak . All season long they followed up the seldom seen 2 game losing streak with multi game win streaks . If the play offs is at all a microcosm of the reg season Ramped up x 10 then te NYR are going to be hard to beat 4 out of 7 times

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Uhh no you have an HF family party at 3:00 right here on HF... Priorities.
Hah, I wish. Luckily I have slingbox on my phone, so I will be staring at that all day.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
RichieCallyGabby

This is going to be a hell of a series, throw the regular season out the window at this point - take it playoff game by playoff game, just as we've had, and hope the right people continue to step up and let's run over these overrated clowns!

RichieCallyGabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Tawnos

No more giving up leads.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Is this the Eastern Quonference Semifinal Thread?
I noticed it last night. Surprisingly he still hasn't noticed yet.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

FYI for all you on the main board bragging that the Rangers only lost 1 in regulation vs the Sens, the same bodes for the Caps, and the Bruins>>>>>>Sens, and probably NYR as well...

NYR and Boston are very similar but Boston's offense is much much much better, 2nd in the league only behind Pittsburgh to be exact.

The Bruins did not necessarily play bad either. Right from the outset during game 1, the Caps slowed down the pace and played the way they were trying too.

I see many of you saying that Boston didn't forecheck, but they did. They dumped it in pretty much every time but it was pretty rare for a B to get there 1st because the Caps defense sags back pretty far. The Bruins continually tried to forecheck and get picks at the net, the same thing the Rangers do to create offense. The Caps just played great man on man defense, bodied up, took away sticks, and blocked ALOT of shots (which I expect to happen for both teams this series).

I really don't care if you guys pick Rangers in 4,5,6, or 7, as they're your predictions (and you guys were extremely confident for an 8 seed last year and we all know how that worked out )but I think it's unfair to say the Caps advanced due to the Bruins shooting themselves in the foot. Yes, they may have been weaker than last year, and particularly the 2nd half of the season, but the Caps played a great series.

It's also kind of strange that you guys mention the Bruins struggles near the end but don't point out that the Sens would've lost a playoff spot to the Sabres if the season was a week longer. They crawled backwards into the playoffs. The Bruins are still much, much better than the Sens, and the Caps beat them in 7 (which you guys discredit) but the Sens beat a much worse team in 7, and you guys seem to think they had a fairly good series (not saying it was bad, since they won and that's clearly the goal). The Rangers also had home ice, while the Caps did not (might be a blessing for them).

Last, you guys seem to think the Caps are a typical 7/8 seed like NYR in 09 and '11. They aren't. Their top forward and Dman both missed half a year while Vokoun played less than 50 games. Add that to the fact that Ovechkin and Semin were both horrid during the 1st half of the season but are now back to normal (Ovechkin at a 50 goal pace during the 2nd half and Semin averaging a PPG) and that Carlson and Alzner suffered through some pretty rough sophomore slumps in the 1st half of the year as well (particularly Carlson) and that's a recipe for disaster.

The last couple months though, the Caps have been much closer to the #1 seed team than the #7 seed team, and this is why Caps fans and many other fans feel confident that the Caps can win the series. Add that to the fact that the Caps have beat the Rangers 2 out of the last 3 years and there's no reason not to feel confident as a fan.

I mean, if the roles were reversed (and the Rangers were a top team for years while eliminating the Caps twice), but finished 7th largely due to injuries to Gaborik, Staal (which did happen), Lundqvist only playing 40 games, and McD and MDZ slumping hard the 1st half... But then the team got healthy and the players slumping suddenly returned to normal, I'd imagine you guys wouldn't feel like a typical 7 seed, and would be confident your team could win right? That's how Caps fans and other fans that think the Caps will win are feeling right now.

Just letting you guys know that we aren't trying to be cocky. We just feel like this Caps team is much better than their seed suggests, they match up well against New York, and they are playing their best overall hockey of the year right now. NOBODY that is a true Caps fan on this board (one that actually posts in the Caps forum, not just a bandwagoners on the SCF thread) thinks it will be easy or a sweep. Just confident, like you all seem to be, which is fine.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
I see many of you saying that Boston didn't forecheck, but they did. They dumped it in pretty much every time but it was pretty rare for a B to get there 1st because the Caps defense sags back pretty far. The Bruins continually tried to forecheck and get picks at the net, the same thing the Rangers do to create offense. The Caps just played great man on man defense, bodied up, took away sticks, and blocked ALOT of shots (which I expect to happen for both teams this series).
They forechecked in terms of puck pressure, but they weren't very physical in their forecheck. I think that's one of the things Rangers fans are looking for our team to do that could make a difference.

As for the rest of your post.... blah, blah, blah, blah. Actually, for the most part I agree with you, which is why I wanted no part of the Caps in the first round. But all it is is bluster right now. We Rangers fans are seemingly more aware of this than you are because we've been the fans blustering for the last few seasons. I'm starting to really dislike the period of time before a new series starts.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Most caps fans look at past history and think that they will win in 3, but they forget the rangers have only 6 players left from that 2009 team, so I don't really think the fact they lost to them twice recently really means much. Their fans seem to forget this, and claiming that goaltending is a push when it is a hart/vezina finalist going up against a third string goalie is a joke, not that Holtby isn't good, but come on now. Also their claim that our D isn't as good as Chara/Seidenberg is a little ridiculous. Between Girardi, MCD, and Staal on different pairings, that gives us 3 shutdown defensemen. Stralman hasn't been bad this postseason either. All we need is our forwards to step up, and I really like our new second line.

I think it will be a tough series, but I think, and hope, the team woke up and realized how tough the playoffs are after having a difficult time with the Senators.

I think we will be fine, but it won't be easy.
Have they really been saying the goaltending is a push? Holy ****, that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They forechecked in terms of puck pressure, but they weren't very physical in their forecheck. I think that's one of the things Rangers fans are looking for our team to do that could make a difference.

As for the rest of your post.... blah, blah, blah, blah. Actually, for the most part I agree with you, which is why I wanted no part of the Caps in the first round. But all it is is bluster right now. We Rangers fans are seemingly more aware of this than you are because we've been the fans blustering for the last few seasons. I'm starting to really dislike the period of time before a new series starts.
Not only that but Boston doesn't have guys like Hagelin & Kreider to get on them with quickness and force turnovers. Guaranteed Green will be coughing up the puck more than a few times.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I love the argument that the Caps "forced the B's into all perimeter /point shots due to great defense".

That is the Bruins' gameplan. They did it all year vs. the Rangers too.

04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Rangers1985

Come on guys, you gotta give the edge to an unproven third string goalie on a hot streak over a perennial Vezina and current Hart Trophy finalist.

The fact that Caps fans are giving the goaltending edge to Holtby just proves how warped they are.

I highly doubt their PK will be shutting down our PP as well as they did against the Bruins considering our PP has been fairly good over the last little while (22%) 13/59, and the Bruins arent a strong PP team to begin with. They limited them to 2 PP goals all series. Our offense is much quicker with the addition of Hagelin and Kreider.

They also didnt play Richards, healthy Gaborik/Callahan either.

Im not suggesting its going to be a sweep, though, itll be 6 or 7 games.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:26 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:

I mean they were pretty physical, at least the first wave of the forecheck. What most commonly occurred though was a Caps defenseman goes to retrieve the puck, gets hit, but reverses it or rims it, and then the winger or Dmen start the break out or chip it out. They did a good job of supporting the puck on retrievals from dump ins and getting it out quickly which is why it probably seemed Boston wasn't too physical even though I believe they averaged 40+ hits a game.

And about the rest of my post, I was trying to just give a little insight on what Caps fans are feeling about this series and why. And I think they're all fairly understandable and reasonable.

And as for the bluster, it's true. The genuine hatred should really pick up tomorrow though

Old
04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I love the argument that the Caps "forced the B's into all perimeter /point shots due to great defense".

That is the Bruins' gameplan. They did it all year vs. the Rangers too.
It's not their game plan. But the Rangers and Caps both do excellent jobs of blocking shots and shooting lanes. There's not much else to get. The Bruins are actually a great team on the rush but it can be neutralized by playing passive in the neutral zone which the Caps did.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
I mean they were pretty physical, at least the first wave of the forecheck. What most commonly occurred though was a Caps defenseman goes to retrieve the puck, gets hit, but reverses it or rims it, and then the winger or Dmen start the break out or chip it out. They did a good job of supporting the puck on retrievals from dump ins and getting it out quickly which is why it probably seemed Boston wasn't too physical even though I believe they averaged 40+ hits a game.

And about the rest of my post, I was trying to just give a little insight on what Caps fans are feeling about this series and why. And I think they're all fairly understandable and reasonable.

And as for the bluster, it's true. The genuine hatred should really pick up tomorrow though
Your point about puck support and getting it out is exactly what I'm referring to. Effective physical forechecks aren't about the first man in, most of the time. They're about the 2nd man in anticipating where the play was going and throwing a hit to turn the puck over from the 2nd defender possessing the puck. So yes, the Caps did a good job avoiding that with the Bruins. That amounts to the same thing as saying the Bruins didn't do a good job forcing their game on the Caps. Thus my point.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:39 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
Come on guys, you gotta give the edge to an unproven third string goalie on a hot streak over a perennial Vezina and current Hart Trophy finalist.

The fact that Caps fans are giving the goaltending edge to Holtby just proves how warped they are.

I highly doubt their PK will be shutting down our PP as well as they did against the Bruins considering our PP has been fairly good over the last little while (22%) 13/59, and the Bruins arent a strong PP team to begin with. They limited them to 2 PP goals all series. Our offense is much quicker with the addition of Hagelin and Kreider.

They also didnt play Richards, healthy Gaborik/Callahan either.

Im not suggesting its going to be a sweep, though, itll be 6 or 7 games.
That's mostly non-caps fans that jumped on the bandwagon to start the postseason. But too be completely honest, the King was not his stellar self last year, as he was last series. The Caps also have more snipers than the Sens (OV, Backstrom, Semin up front and Wideman, Green, Carlson in the back compared to Spezza, Alfredsson and Karlsson, Gonchar... I think Michalek is good but just not too sold on him) which help since they can pick corners with Lundqvist playing so deep (this is why Semin seems to kill him).

And yeah you guys do have Richards, Gaborik (if he shows up) as well as Callahan. Not even mentioning Kreider and Hagelin, but Dubinsky and Anisimov don't look as good as last year (especially Duby). Overall the offense clearly looks better but I'm still kinda shocked you guts scored more last year.

The Caps do have a healthy Green, healthy Backstrom and healthy Wideman compared to last year though. And Johansson and Chimera have taken huge strides the whole year and Ovechkin at a 50g pace and Semin playing at a PPG the last few months, as well as Brouwer and Ward and Hamrlik (who is 10x better with Green than Schultz who BTW might play... WTF!!!!!) and they made some nice progress as well.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
That's mostly non-caps fans that jumped on the bandwagon to start the postseason. But too be completely honest, the King was not his stellar self last year, as he was last series. The Caps also have more snipers than the Sens (OV, Backstrom, Semin up front and Wideman, Green, Carlson in the back compared to Spezza, Alfredsson and Karlsson, Gonchar... I think Michalek is good but just not too sold on him) which help since they can pick corners with Lundqvist playing so deep (this is why Semin seems to kill him).

And yeah you guys do have Richards, Gaborik (if he shows up) as well as Callahan. Not even mentioning Kreider and Hagelin, but Dubinsky and Anisimov don't look as good as last year (especially Duby). Overall the offense clearly looks better but I'm still kinda shocked you guts scored more last year.

The Caps do have a healthy Green, healthy Backstrom and healthy Wideman compared to last year though. And Johansson and Chimera have taken huge strides the whole year and Ovechkin at a 50g pace and Semin playing at a PPG the last few months, as well as Brouwer and Ward and Hamrlik (who is 10x better with Green than Schultz who BTW might play... WTF!!!!!) and they made some nice progress as well.
I dont understand this.

He was injured last year and this year he has 3 points so far, which is just about on par with almost every other star in the playoffs.

Caps have the better talent but Ottawa also has a good offense. 4th in goals this year. Michalek scored 35 this season and hes a big threat whenever hes on the ice. He was very dangerous at times in the series.

Thankfully Dubinsky and Anisimov are on the third line, which says a lot more about our offense these days than previous times.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:43 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Your point about puck support and getting it out is exactly what I'm referring to. Effective physical forechecks aren't about the first man in, most of the time. They're about the 2nd man in anticipating where the play was going and throwing a hit to turn the puck over from the 2nd defender possessing the puck. So yes, the Caps did a good job avoiding that with the Bruins. That amounts to the same thing as saying the Bruins didn't do a good job forcing their game on the Caps. Thus my point.
Idk if I said this in my last post but the Caps are getting to those pucks because their defensemen are pretty deep, they're sagging back so that they will get to those picks first since they run into problems if they run around. Its hard to get a forecheck going when it's always a 2v1 for the defensive team down low, and you can't send 2 forwards on the forecheck hard unless you plan on giving up lots of 3v2's and giving the other team ample space.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Idk if I said this in my last post but the Caps are getting to those pucks because their defensemen are pretty deep, they're sagging back so that they will get to those picks first since they run into problems if they run around. Its hard to get a forecheck going when it's always a 2v1 for the defensive team down low, and you can't send 2 forwards on the forecheck hard unless you plan on giving up lots of 3v2's and giving the other team ample space.
The Rangers have been forechecking with two forwards nearly all season. And they did last night too. Keeping a high forward prevents the 3v2s. It's not about who gets to the puck first. It's about what happens after the guy who gets there moves it.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
I dont understand this.

He was injured last year and this year he has 3 points so far, which is just about on par with almost every other star in the playoffs.

Caps have the better talent but Ottawa also has a good offense. 4th in goals this year. Michalek scored 35 this season and hes a big threat whenever hes on the ice. He was very dangerous at times in the series.

Thankfully Dubinsky and Anisimov are on the third line, which says a lot more about our offense these days than previous times.
Completely agree. He's not doing bad but he's yet to be the go to guy as he was in the reg season, correct?

And yeah I've never doubted Ottawas offense but I don't see how they did it. I don't see alot of top end talent on that team. They had numerous chances the last half of the 3rd period last night, and just couldn't bury it, whereas a guy like Semin probably scores one (Michalek and Foligno chances come to mind).

The Caps offense probably would've been top 10 if Ovechkin and Semin didn't **** the bed the 1st half and Green and Backstrom didn't miss half the year, but it's whatever.

And yes it's good to have them on the 3rd line but it seemed you guys always had pretty solid depth just not enough top end talent from my perspective at least

Old
04-27-2012, 05:50 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
The Rangers have been forechecking with two forwards nearly all season. And they did last night too. Keeping a high forward prevents the 3v2s. It's not about who gets to the puck first. It's about what happens after the guy who gets there moves it.
Yeah true... good point... Well IMO for the Rangers to get a good forecheck going they have to send a guy flying down the wing in sync with the dump in. That's really the only thing that gave the Caps some trouble last series.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Silly question I know, but why come to a Rangers board and try to argue your points, when there is a whole thread on the main board to do so? Not saying youre trolling or anything, just seems kinda...pointless. You guys are confident, we are confident, that about sums it up. May the best team win.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote