HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF: New York Rangers (1) vs Washington Capitals (7)

Old
04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Silly question I know, but why come to a Rangers board and try to argue your points, when there is a whole thread on the main board to do so? Not saying youre trolling or anything, just seems kinda...pointless. You guys are confident, we are confident, that about sums it up. May the best team win.
Banned from the main boards after the game 3 where the Bruins won on an offsides... Just wanted to come here to say that most of the obnoxious fans on there are not Caps regulars. It's an annoying board, but it's fitting for the playoffs. Gets my blood boiling...

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Banned from the main boards after the game 3 where the Bruins won on an offsides... Just wanted to come here to say that most of the obnoxious fans on there are not Caps regulars. It's an annoying board, but it's fitting for the playoffs. Gets my blood boiling...
I have no problems with you coming here, since you seem to want to actually talk hockey and not just drama.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Fair enough, there are plenty of bandwagoners that jump on thinking they are the best team ever assembled, and that's why you get the Holtby>>>>Hank AINEC kind posts. Most regulars here get that.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:00 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I have no problems with you coming here, since you seem to want to actually talk hockey and not just drama.
Nor do I, was just curious is all. Like I wouldn't go to the Caps board and try to do any convincing of their posters, because frankly, it would be a waste of my time. He's more than welcome here, just seemed odd.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Completely agree. He's not doing bad but he's yet to be the go to guy as he was in the reg season, correct?

And yeah I've never doubted Ottawas offense but I don't see how they did it. I don't see alot of top end talent on that team. They had numerous chances the last half of the 3rd period last night, and just couldn't bury it, whereas a guy like Semin probably scores one (Michalek and Foligno chances come to mind).

The Caps offense probably would've been top 10 if Ovechkin and Semin didn't **** the bed the 1st half and Green and Backstrom didn't miss half the year, but it's whatever.

And yes it's good to have them on the 3rd line but it seemed you guys always had pretty solid depth just not enough top end talent from my perspective at least

The one goal he did score was a beauty. If this was last year, we would be out for sure. Gaborik's been effective away from the puck thus far, as he has been all season, and he had his chances this series.

Our depth though is why we won the series. Richards and Gaborik both had 3 points up to the 6th game. Richards came through that game, and then yesterday it was more depth.

Gaborik is the go to guy on offense, but Richards also. Cant have just one. Itd still be nice if Gaborik pots more goals though. Definitely makes it easier for sure though when hes lighting it up. I think Gabork doing that is the difference between a series finishing early and not.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Nor do I, was just curious is all. Like I wouldn't go to the Caps board and try to do any convincing of their posters, because frankly, it would be a waste of my time. He's more than welcome here, just seemed odd.
Don't wanna put words in his mouth, but I don't think he's trying to convince anyone. Not every conversation has to be about that, you know.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
FYI for all you on the main board bragging that the Rangers only lost 1 in regulation vs the Sens, the same bodes for the Caps, and the Bruins>>>>>>Sens, and probably NYR as well...

NYR and Boston are very similar but Boston's offense is much much much better, 2nd in the league only behind Pittsburgh to be exact.

The Bruins did not necessarily play bad either. Right from the outset during game 1, the Caps slowed down the pace and played the way they were trying too.

I see many of you saying that Boston didn't forecheck, but they did. They dumped it in pretty much every time but it was pretty rare for a B to get there 1st because the Caps defense sags back pretty far. The Bruins continually tried to forecheck and get picks at the net, the same thing the Rangers do to create offense. The Caps just played great man on man defense, bodied up, took away sticks, and blocked ALOT of shots (which I expect to happen for both teams this series).

I really don't care if you guys pick Rangers in 4,5,6, or 7, as they're your predictions (and you guys were extremely confident for an 8 seed last year and we all know how that worked out )but I think it's unfair to say the Caps advanced due to the Bruins shooting themselves in the foot. Yes, they may have been weaker than last year, and particularly the 2nd half of the season, but the Caps played a great series.

It's also kind of strange that you guys mention the Bruins struggles near the end but don't point out that the Sens would've lost a playoff spot to the Sabres if the season was a week longer. They crawled backwards into the playoffs. The Bruins are still much, much better than the Sens, and the Caps beat them in 7 (which you guys discredit) but the Sens beat a much worse team in 7, and you guys seem to think they had a fairly good series (not saying it was bad, since they won and that's clearly the goal). The Rangers also had home ice, while the Caps did not (might be a blessing for them).

Last, you guys seem to think the Caps are a typical 7/8 seed like NYR in 09 and '11. They aren't. Their top forward and Dman both missed half a year while Vokoun played less than 50 games. Add that to the fact that Ovechkin and Semin were both horrid during the 1st half of the season but are now back to normal (Ovechkin at a 50 goal pace during the 2nd half and Semin averaging a PPG) and that Carlson and Alzner suffered through some pretty rough sophomore slumps in the 1st half of the year as well (particularly Carlson) and that's a recipe for disaster.

The last couple months though, the Caps have been much closer to the #1 seed team than the #7 seed team, and this is why Caps fans and many other fans feel confident that the Caps can win the series. Add that to the fact that the Caps have beat the Rangers 2 out of the last 3 years and there's no reason not to feel confident as a fan.

I mean, if the roles were reversed (and the Rangers were a top team for years while eliminating the Caps twice), but finished 7th largely due to injuries to Gaborik, Staal (which did happen), Lundqvist only playing 40 games, and McD and MDZ slumping hard the 1st half... But then the team got healthy and the players slumping suddenly returned to normal, I'd imagine you guys wouldn't feel like a typical 7 seed, and would be confident your team could win right? That's how Caps fans and other fans that think the Caps will win are feeling right now.

Just letting you guys know that we aren't trying to be cocky. We just feel like this Caps team is much better than their seed suggests, they match up well against New York, and they are playing their best overall hockey of the year right now. NOBODY that is a true Caps fan on this board (one that actually posts in the Caps forum, not just a bandwagoners on the SCF thread) thinks it will be easy or a sweep. Just confident, like you all seem to be, which is fine.
I literally feel bad that you came here, and spent all that time constructing such a worthless post.

I find it particularly amazing that you bring up the past playoff series between these two teams as the basis for confidence. Youre going to have a very rude awakening if you think this Ranger team is similar to the team from even a year ago.

The Capitals are one of the truly embarassing disappointments of the NHL over the last several playoff seasons....and the main reason they've failed to advance past the 2nd round is a lack of toughness and grit. They fold like a cheap suit when the going gets tough.

Well, youre about to play one of the toughest teams in the league to play against. Unless guys like Semin, Backstrom, and Green suddenly grow a pair of balls, its going to be yet another disappointment for you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:08 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Fair enough, there are plenty of bandwagoners that jump on thinking they are the best team ever assembled, and that's why you get the Holtby>>>>Hank AINEC kind posts. Most regulars here get that.
Yeah obviously Hank>Holtby but it's a 7 game stretch and one bad game from either goalie can ruin a series. For example, last year if the Caps don't come back in game 4 the Rangers could've ended up winning and Lundqvist probably would've "stole the series" in many eyes. Instead Caps win 4-3, Lundy's #s become a bit inflated and people say he was mediocre even though he had 4 great games and played great IMO.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:11 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I literally feel bad that you came here, and spent all that time constructing such a worthless post.

I find it particularly amazing that you bring up the past playoff series between these two teams as the basis for confidence. Youre going to have a very rude awakening if you think this Ranger team is similar to the team from even a year ago.

The Capitals are one of the truly embarassing disappointments of the NHL over the last several playoff seasons....and the main reason they've failed to advance past the 2nd round is a lack of toughness and grit. They fold like a cheap suit when the going gets tough.

Well, youre about to play one of the toughest teams in the league to play against. Unless guys like Semin, Backstrom, and Green suddenly grow a pair of balls, its going to be yet another disappointment for you.
The Caps team arguably beat the toughest team in the NHL last series. Add in the fact that Boston wasnt getting called for anything, but drawing multiple calls a game on dives (**** you Marchand), and they won a game 7 on the road I think they overcame a good amount and are
tough enough. I'll guess we will see though. I was getting along pretty well with some other posters but I won't be on here once the series starts, and could leave now if you'd like.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Caps team arguably beat the toughest team in the NHL last series. Add in the fact that Boston wasnt getting called for anything, but drawing multiple calls a game on dives (**** you Marchand), and they won a game 7 on the road I think they overcame a good amount and are
tough enough. I'll guess we will see though. I was getting along pretty well with some other posters but I won't be on here once the series starts, and could leave now if you'd like.
Boston has been mediocre or worse the whole year minus a 10 game stretch, not really all that impressive to be honest

vladmyir111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:30 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Boston has been mediocre or worse the whole year minus a 10 game stretch, not really all that impressive to be honest
And to be fair, the Sens were still much, much worse than the Bruins and the Rangers had more problems than the Caps... Oh well I'm out of here.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post

The Bruins scored 152 goals the first half of the season and 117 the second half.

When youre beating teams like Florida 8-0, Calgary 9-0 and Toronto 7-0, thats what happens. Thats 24 goals in 3 games.

All of which in the first half.

Boston was simply NOT the same team the second half, so im actually not surprised Washington won.

Last edited by Rangers1985: 04-27-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old
04-27-2012, 07:35 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
And to be fair, the Sens were still much, much worse than the Bruins and the Rangers had more problems than the Caps... Oh well I'm out of here.
whaaaaaaaaaaat

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:39 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Love how he brings up all these regular season statistic of the bruins being scoring and hitting machines, Well since thats all 100% accurate RIGHT NOW, why don't we bring up how we basically dominated washington the entire regular season? Even the last game that we lost 4-1 we hit the cross bar 3 times, I guess that means it was a tie right guys?

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:57 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Love how he brings up all these regular season statistic of the bruins being scoring and hitting machines, Well since thats all 100% accurate RIGHT NOW, why don't we bring up how we basically dominated washington the entire regular season? Even the last game that we lost 4-1 we hit the cross bar 3 times, I guess that means it was a tie right guys?
You dominated them the entire season? Really? What are you smoking?

You lost two games, 4-1 and 4-1. You won two games, 6-3 and 3-2.

Caps scored 13 times against you and you scored 11 against them.

Top 5 Caps players against the Rangers in regular season, (games, goals, assists, pts, +/-):
John Carlson 4 3 3 6 4
Alex Ovechkin 4 2 3 5 2
Nicklas Backstrom 3 1 4 5 4
Alexander Semin 4 3 1 4 1
Troy Brouwer 4 2 1 3 2

Rangers top 5 players against the Caps in regular season:
Ryan Callahan 4 1 4 5 0
Brandon Dubinsky 4 1 3 4 2
Brian Boyle 4 2 1 3 0
Brad Richards 4 1 2 3 -1
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 2 0 2 2

Top above 5 Rangers have combined for 14 points in the playoffs. The above 5 Caps have combined for 16 points.

Umm, call me crazy, but that hardly even comes close to dominating them all season. Things are pretty damn even. If you think you've been dominant all season, you're smoking some good stuff, please share. Likewise, Caps fans that think the same thing are also a little deluded.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:07 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Honestly pre-playoff threads are the worst. Just a bunch of meaningless dick measuring. Just drop the puck already!!!

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:12 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Honestly pre-playoff threads are the worst. Just a bunch of meaningless dick measuring. Just drop the puck already!!!
One reason to be thankful that this series starts so soon. Not as much time for this nonsense.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Svenhart2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
You dominated them the entire season? Really? What are you smoking?

You lost two games, 4-1 and 4-1. You won two games, 6-3 and 3-2.

Caps scored 13 times against you and you scored 11 against them.

Top 5 Caps players against the Rangers in regular season, (games, goals, assists, pts, +/-):
John Carlson 4 3 3 6 4
Alex Ovechkin 4 2 3 5 2
Nicklas Backstrom 3 1 4 5 4
Alexander Semin 4 3 1 4 1
Troy Brouwer 4 2 1 3 2

Rangers top 5 players against the Caps in regular season:
Ryan Callahan 4 1 4 5 0
Brandon Dubinsky 4 1 3 4 2
Brian Boyle 4 2 1 3 0
Brad Richards 4 1 2 3 -1
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 2 0 2 2

Top above 5 Rangers have combined for 14 points in the playoffs. The above 5 Caps have combined for 16 points.

Umm, call me crazy, but that hardly even comes close to dominating them all season. Things are pretty damn even. If you think you've been dominant all season, you're smoking some good stuff, please share. Likewise, Caps fans that think the same thing are also a little deluded.
I really don't post much in response to something like this, but that second 4-1 loss does not paint the whole picture here. Yes, in the end o one asks how the game came to that result, but Lundqvist had an abysmal night in that game and Holtby was very good.

Rangers out shot Washington 36-17, hit several posts and carried the play for vast majority of the game. They were very unlucky. Washington won, and that all that matters. Dominating is a strong word, but the Rangers were the stronger team more often than not when these two teams squared of during the regular season.

Looking forward to an entertaining and heart attack inducing series.

Thank you

Svenhart2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:13 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
That's mostly non-caps fans that jumped on the bandwagon to start the postseason. But too be completely honest, the King was not his stellar self last year, as he was last series. The Caps also have more snipers than the Sens (OV, Backstrom, Semin up front and Wideman, Green, Carlson in the back compared to Spezza, Alfredsson and Karlsson, Gonchar... I think Michalek is good but just not too sold on him) which help since they can pick corners with Lundqvist playing so deep (this is why Semin seems to kill him).

And yeah you guys do have Richards, Gaborik (if he shows up) as well as Callahan. Not even mentioning Kreider and Hagelin, but Dubinsky and Anisimov don't look as good as last year (especially Duby). Overall the offense clearly looks better but I'm still kinda shocked you guts scored more last year.

The Caps do have a healthy Green, healthy Backstrom and healthy Wideman compared to last year though. And Johansson and Chimera have taken huge strides the whole year and Ovechkin at a 50g pace and Semin playing at a PPG the last few months, as well as Brouwer and Ward and Hamrlik (who is 10x better with Green than Schultz who BTW might play... WTF!!!!!) and they made some nice progress as well.
glad to see you did your research.
now go get your shine box!

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Rangers1985

Hank's glove hand is much better than before.

Old
04-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Leetch66

Rangers in 5...superior goaltending and blueline along with the addition of CK and Hags to our team since we last played Washington in the playoffs . We can play any type of game they want...and we can also be more physical than ever before with them because of Bickel-Prust and Rupp . Having Stepan getting warmed up and MrClutch Richards...we just have it all going for us ! Bye bye Caps...

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Ail
k.

Both series going to a game 7 obviously means the Rangers had a harder time with the Sens than Washington did with the Bruins.

Wait what?

Craps fan logic.

Also, the Sens were a terrible match-up for the Rangers, unfortunately so are the Craps.

Guess we'll see.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:24 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Both series going to a game 7 obviously means the Rangers had a harder time with the Sens than Washington did with the Bruins.

Wait what?

Craps fan logic.

Also, the Sens were a terrible match-up for the Rangers, unfortunately so are the Craps.

Guess we'll see.
Considering the Sens were an 8 seed, and the Bruins a 2 seed, I'd def say NYR had more trouble in the 1st round. They should've smoked the Sens like the Caps did to NYR last year IMO.

Old
04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post

Wait what?

Craps fan logic.

Guess we'll see.
Which is what playoffs are all about and why for the most part, regular season means nothing.

Old
04-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Considering the Sens were an 8 seed, and the Bruins a 2 seed, I'd def say NYR had more trouble in the 1st round. They should've smoked the Sens like the Caps did to NYR last year IMO.

You gotta realize, no matter what seed, Ottawa ALWAYS plays us tough.

There are some teams you just own, and some you dont, regardless of record.

Can anyone explain Carolina owning Boston this year?