Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie Oleksiak Signs 3 Year Entry Level Contract

Old
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Jamie Oleksiak Signs 3 Year Entry Level Contract

Jamie Oleksiak signs entry level contract with Dallas (confirmed via Dallas Stars twitter).

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Does this deal start next year? And this means he'll go to the AHL next season?

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

vCash: 500
GM Nieuwendyk:

Quote:
“Jamie is a very promising player for the future of our organization,” said Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “He has a strong work ethic and we are looking forward to watching him develop as his career progresses.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
Does this deal start next year? And this means he'll go to the AHL next season?
His contract will slide this season, but he was likely going to the AHL/NHL next season regardless. He turns 20 in the fall (like Vincour did), and many guys in that situation go pro at that time.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Is this the earliest Dallas has ever signed a draft pick?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:25 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Is this the earliest Dallas has ever signed a draft pick?
They signed Campbell about the same time last year didn't they?

Edit: Close, but Oleksiak is a month sooner. Campbell signed November 4th.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:37 AM
None More Negative*

Oleksiak

Just some general thoughts on the big guy for people that have followed his progression..Has he developed well or faster than expected? What kind of game does he play? Pure shut down? Any offensive upside? Any kind of mean streak? Does he fight at all? How far away is he from cracking the big team if at all? Thanks all.

Last edited by Guerzy: 04-27-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Flaming.
None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:36 AM
None More Negative*

I'm not sure how he has been developing, but God Dammmit I hope he becomes a beast. If he could turn into a 50% version of a Chara type, I'd be thrilled.

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:06 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Haven't actually seen him play.

He put up some great numbers for a shutdown defenseman after being traded to Niagara. Been amazing defensively, as expected. Does seem to have a bit of a mean streak, I think I remember at least 1 or 2 fights, so it's there, but he was probably too valuable to his team to drop the gloves much.

He'll probably be playing pro hockey next year down in the AHL. And, while I wouldn't expect it, there's a decent chance he'll be a regular in the NHL by 2013-14.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Watched him play quite a few times these season. After the world juniors and CHL games, it's probably 10-15 games of his. He's a really strong defender, it's clearly evident when you watch him. He's still sort of raw, but he's good massive potential there. For a big man, he's actually a really strong and fluid skater. His stride isn't choppy, and even though he isn't exactly fast his size combined with strong skating ability allows him to move pretty quickly.

Offensively he didn't have many opportunities in Niagara as they were giving Hamilton all of them. I think he can develop into a 15 goal 50 point guy if everything works out fine, but it's probably better to expect around 10 goals 20 assists a season on average while getting excellent defense out of him.

He'll be a good one, with a strong training camp he could challenge for the last defensemen spot.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
tjcurrie

He's not like Derian Hatcher if that's what you're wondering. He's not gonna break Ryan Kesler's jaw with a crushing hit behind the net, he's not gonna send Adam Henrique to the hospital after a huge open ice hit, and he's not gonna be atop the Stars in penalty minutes. He's closer to Nik Lidstrom's style of play than Hatcher's, but that doesn't mean he can't or won't play physical. Huge reach, and as Prophet Of Glennie said above, he can move quick for a big guy and that with his size helps him angle guys to where he wants them to go pretty consistently. I'm expecting him to be a darn good Dman overall.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Dr GLU

I feel Willie Mitchell is a pretty good comparable. Obviously with a bit more size.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Mischief Managed
Unit 1

I've watched a great deal of Oleksiak this year, with the World Juniors, regular season, and now the playoffs (including tonights game). I think my favorite comparable for him is Myers, and not Chara. Just like Myers, Oleksiak has surprising speed and he likes to carry the puck. In Niagra he's not really given the offensive opportunity with Hamilton getting all the PP time. However, because of how raw his skills are, I think he has quite a lot of potential. Just as Prophet of Glennie mentionned, I think you could expect 30 points out of him, with the possibility of reaching the points of Chara. Also, he does hit and he can have quite a mean streak, but just like Cowen in Ottawa, there are a few times where he could crush someone, but instead he holds back, stays in position, and uses a poke check instead.

Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Ice Dogs season ticket holder here

Oleksiak has been fantasic but Brett Ritchie is donimating right now and looks like he can develop into a very good powerfoward. Also your GM was at the game tonight and Ritchie was 1st star

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Stars View Post
I've watched a great deal of Oleksiak this year, with the World Juniors, regular season, and now the playoffs (including tonights game). I think my favorite comparable for him is Myers, and not Chara. Just like Myers, Oleksiak has surprising speed and he likes to carry the puck. In Niagra he's not really given the offensive opportunity with Hamilton getting all the PP time. However, because of how raw his skills are, I think he has quite a lot of potential. Just as Prophet of Glennie mentionned, I think you could expect 30 points out of him, with the possibility of reaching the points of Chara. Also, he does hit and he can have quite a mean streak, but just like Cowen in Ottawa, there are a few times where he could crush someone, but instead he holds back, stays in position, and uses a poke check instead.

I dont see the Myers comparsion besides the size, he is much more offensive and more like a mobile Gill.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:48 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Ice Dogs season ticket holder here

Oleksiak has been fantasic but Brett Ritchie is donimating right now and looks like he can develop into a very good powerfoward. Also your GM was at the game tonight and Ritchie was 1st star
I'm a fan of Ritchie. Watched him live at the juniors camp in Edmonton last summer and he looked pretty darn good.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
For a big man, he's actually a really strong and fluid skater. His stride isn't choppy, and even though he isn't exactly fast his size combined with strong skating ability allows him to move pretty quickly..
There was a little bit of footage from training camp released last fall. It showed Oleksiak working in a drill, and I was very surprised at his skating. Far less lanky-ness and gangly-ness than you'd expect from a 6'-7" teenager. If you didn't know that he was that huge, you wouldn't have guessed it. I'm more excited about JO than I have been about any Stars draft pick since I became a fan during the 2000 playoff run. The hopes & excitement are there that he just might develop into an offensive threat like Chara. But even if he doesn't, I'll happily take a young Gill or Bouwmiester.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
There was a little bit of footage from training camp released last fall. It showed Oleksiak working in a drill, and I was very surprised at his skating. Far less lanky-ness and gangly-ness than you'd expect from a 6'-7" teenager. If you didn't know that he was that huge, you wouldn't have guessed it. I'm more excited about JO than I have been about any Stars draft pick since I became a fan during the 2000 playoff run. The hopes & excitement are there that he just might develop into an offensive threat like Chara. But even if he doesn't, I'll happily take a young Gill or Bouwmiester.
I hope a little more Bouwmeester and less Gill if he doesn't develop into Chara/Myers.

Aside from being severely overpaid, Bouwmeester is a good defensive defenseman that can shutdown top forwards. Plus he can chip in 20 to 30 points. His defensive play still makes him a top pair, shutdown option.