HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Knoll's Top 20 Prospects Update 4/24/2012

Old
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizou View Post
I try to watch as many Monarchs games as I'm able to and I keep track of the others by reading as much as I can. Here is the way I'd rank the players as of today:
1. Slava Voynov, D
2. Tyler Toffoli, RW
3. Linden Vey, RW
4. Dwight King, LW
5. Jordan Nolan, C
6. Andrei Loktionov, C
7. Derek Forbort, D
8. Jake Muzzin, D
9. Christopher Gibson, G
10. Nick Shore, C
11. Martin Jones, G
12. Andy Andreoff, C
13. Nicolas Deslauriers, D
14. Michael Mersch, LW
15. Kevin Gravel, D
16. Jordan Weal, C
17. Michael Schumacher, LW
18. Maxim Kitsyn, LW
19. Thomas Hickey, D
20. Brandon Kozun, RW

We should just forget about Thomas Hickey, folks. It's not happening. At best, he's a Josh Gorges-type player but he is never going to get even to that size. Also, Bud Holloway isn't included because... well, he's not coming back to the US until he's a UFA. Also, I know this was beaten to death a while ago but Dean should have signed Radko Gudas.
I like the list for the most part, but I have not given up on Hickey by any means, and I don't think Kitsyn should be anywhere near the top 20 anymore.

Also, I don't get how you can put Gibson over Jones. I get that Gibson has more potential, but Jones is waaaayyyy ahead in development.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
This list is such a mess. Vey, King, and Nolan ahead of Loktionov? Just no.
I think I have a pretty good eye for prospects. I knew Jordan Nolan, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov and Alec Martinez were going to be fixtures with the Kings by just seeing them. What I see in Vey, King and Nolan haven't impressed me more than what I've seen from Loktionov. But what I've seen from Loktionov that is superior than the three aforementioned players has only been in the AHL and in Junior. In the NHL since his first initial stint with the club, Loktionov has looked slightly above lost and slightly below average. I'm sure if you look back at my previous posts when I've posted some of my rankings, I've ranked Loktionov right at the top each and every time. Only this time, his stock has taken a bit of a dip because of what I've seen at the NHL level. He could still develop. Lewis didn't fly out of the gates either. Nor did Frolov. But they at least have the NHLers size that Loktionov still lacks. Vey is slightly undersized as well but I'm thoroughly impressed with the kid as I was when I first saw Purcell play. Loktionov's still young but he's running out of time because of the depth at forward the Kings are starting to acrue. I don't rate Loktionov way below the other three players but as of now... I'd say they have longer NHL careers than Loktionov based on what I've seen. And that's all I can go by.

Quote:
Gibson higher than Jones? Have you seen Gibson play at all?
I've seen Jones play more and play well. Gibson, like 98% of goaltenders, are projects. If you'd asked me five years ago, I would have told you that the Kings' goaltenders today would be Jonathan Bernier and Erik Ersberg with Zatkoff above Quick in the depth chart. It wouldn't surprise me if Gibson had a similar development to Quick's. Admittedly, I'm just going with gut on this one because of how little I, like most Kings fans, have seen Gibson.

Quote:
Deslauriers above Hickey? Did you miss Hickey playing in Manch instead of N.D. when he was a healthy scratch for a chunk of the season?
I'm willing to say Hickey is never more than a plug defenseman in the NHL. I'd put a lot more stock in Deslauriers having a more fruitful NHL career. Again, we're all amateurs. Let's see in 6 years where everyone's at but I have been right before. Then again, a few years ago I thought that out of Moulson, Boyle, Purcell and O'Sullivan... Moulson was the one I'd let go of first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I like the list for the most part, but I have not given up on Hickey by any means, and I don't think Kitsyn should be anywhere near the top 20 anymore.

Also, I don't get how you can put Gibson over Jones. I get that Gibson has more potential, but Jones is waaaayyyy ahead in development.
I guess I should clarify that I mean to rank the players the way HockeysFuture ranks them (at least I think that's how they do) in that I weigh their overall potential and likelihood to reach that potential at the NHL level. That's why I see Gibson slightly above Jones but only slightly. I'm not confident in that assessment at all because goaltenders are so damn hard to project or rate.

Last edited by Zizou: 04-24-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
KingLB

VV
Tof
Forbort
Loki
Vey

After that its slim pickens....even Nolan and King aren't much to write home about. Nolan could be a serviceable 3rd/4th guy, King becomes a journeymen if anything.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:16 AM
SDGolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Hickey still erks me.
Why? Because every top 4 pick should work out?
Teams make picks and investments don't always pay off.
Easy to second guess after the fact.

SDGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
They are currently updating the top 50 prospect list, only 30-50 are up so far, but both Voynov and Toffoli are already listed. Voynov is #37 and Toffoli is #49.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Wow I didn't realize it but Lewis has 6 points and is a +2 in 11 career playoff games.

He shows more promise in every season. He was also HUGE on the PK in that series.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Zatkoff will be a Class VI UFA after the season (25 years of age, under 30 NHL games played). It's the same situation that Bud Holloway will be facing next season (though as a forward, Bud has to play fewer than 80 games by the age of 25) if he doesn't play a full season as a King.
Both capgeek and my own interpretation of this say Zatkoff is RFA this year since he does not turn 25 until after the season ends...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Both capgeek and my own interpretation of this say Zatkoff is RFA this year since he does not turn 25 until after the season ends...
Do not think that is accurate. Anton Khudobin became a 2011 group VI UFA after turning 25 on May 7th. Robbie Earl became a 2010 group VI UFA after turning 25 on June 2nd.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:50 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
I've seen Jones play more and play well. Gibson, like 98% of goaltenders, are projects. If you'd asked me five years ago, I would have told you that the Kings' goaltenders today would be Jonathan Bernier and Erik Ersberg with Zatkoff above Quick in the depth chart. It wouldn't surprise me if Gibson had a similar development to Quick's. Admittedly, I'm just going with gut on this one because of how little I, like most Kings fans, have seen Gibson.
My issue with Gibson is he seems very weak mentally and as a goalie that is a huge weakness, especially when he'll be under heavy scrutiny since he was such a high pick. As far as potential goes sure but it's not like his upside is a franchise goaltender, he'll be at best a very capable starter compared to Jones and Zatkoff who are probably at best spot starters that can step up as needed. Thing is Gibson has been very shaky against higher level competition at every chance he's gotten (Kings dev camp, WJCs this past year) while Zatkoff and Jones have both been decent in stretches over the last few years in the AHL level and are much closer to fully realizing their potential. Basically the reason you are dropping Hickey (lack of meeting potential) is the reason I don't have Gibson high. Sure he could be a good NHL starter in 4-5 years, but at this point he could also be the next Linden Rowat... He's very very variable right now, but he's still young and can turn it around hopefully.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Wow I didn't realize it but Lewis has 6 points and is a +2 in 11 career playoff games.

He shows more promise in every season. He was also HUGE on the PK in that series.
I'll disagree with you here buddy. Lewis was solid on the PK, I agree, but I don't think he's gotten better this year at all. For a 1st round pick, his offensive game should have amounted to something by now. He's picked up 9 points (including playoffs) in 77 games this year. He's just a depth guy and until he shows he's got at least some form of hands, that's all he'll be.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Do not think that is accurate. Anton Khudobin became a 2011 group VI UFA after turning 25 on May 7th. Robbie Earl became a 2010 group VI UFA after turning 25 on June 2nd.
I'm pretty sure they use July 1st as the cut off date since that's the first day of free agency, so anyone turning 25 before then would be eligible for a Class VI UFA status. Zatkoff turns 25 on June 9. That would fall in line with the Khudobin and Earl references Sam made.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:15 PM
lafan

Quote:
I try to watch as many Monarchs games as I'm able to and I keep track of the others by reading as much as I can. Here is the way I'd rank the players as of today:
1. Slava Voynov, D
2. Tyler Toffoli, RW
3. Linden Vey, RW
4. Dwight King, LW
5. Jordan Nolan, C
6. Andrei Loktionov, C
7. Derek Forbort, D
8. Jake Muzzin, D
9. Christopher Gibson, G
10. Nick Shore, C
11. Martin Jones, G
12. Andy Andreoff, C
13. Nicolas Deslauriers, D
14. Michael Mersch, LW
15. Kevin Gravel, D
16. Jordan Weal, C
17. Michael Schumacher, LW
18. Maxim Kitsyn, LW
19. Thomas Hickey, D
20. Brandon Kozun, RW

We should just forget about Thomas Hickey, folks. It's not happening. At best, he's a Josh Gorges-type player but he is never going to get even to that size. Also, Bud Holloway isn't included because... well, he's not coming back to the US until he's a UFA. Also, I know this was beaten to death a while ago but Dean should have signed Radko Gudas.
Bud Holloway has already told the Swedish media he would love to sign with the LA kings next year not sure why he is not on the prospect list maybe Andrew doesnt know Bud is the current playoff record holder for most points in the history of the league,not Sedins,not Kopitar,Not Forsberg,Not Naslund....Bud. What a joke.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I'm pretty sure they use July 1st as the cut off date since that's the first day of free agency, so anyone turning 25 before then would be eligible for a Class VI UFA status. Zatkoff turns 25 on June 9. That would fall in line with the Khudobin and Earl references Sam made.
I could be wrong (has happened from time to time ). I'll take a look at CBA again. Those examples definitely are strong evidence towards him being UFA.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
Bud Holloway has already told the Swedish media he would love to sign with the LA kings next year not sure why he is not on the prospect list maybe Andrew doesnt know Bud is the current playoff record holder for most points in the history of the league,not Sedins,not Kopitar,Not Forsberg,Not Naslund....Bud. What a joke.
I agree he should be on the list, but to be fair all of those players were long gone from the SEL by the time they turned Bud's age. Not saying his accomplishments aren't noteworthy, theya re, but compare him to greats that were still in the SEL at 24 at least.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Hi, guys, thank you for all the feedback and alternate lists, I appreciate the diversity of perspective in a major way. Thank you also for your patience in waiting for the list.

The biggest topic here is Holloway, who was dropped off the Kings list recently and that was an error, at least in my understanding. It will probably be a situation where he gets added and then dropped in the summer but he should be there.

He was included, for example, in the Euro/NCAA update I submitted, which should be posted very shortly. I am well aware of his exploits in Sweden.

He was on my initial list and Kitsyn was a little higher. Ultimately, he fell out because I feel like these lists should give an indication of standing and prospective standing in the organization. His future is kind of tenuous, but rest assured that if he does wind up re-signing and returning, he will have a solid position on the Fall list. That assumes he is still eligible, at 24 he may not be, will need to confirm that. That puts it in perspective, I think, we are talking about a player on the verge of graduation loaned to a foreign pro league that has a better chance than not of never playing a game with the Kings.

At this point, all he could get would be a meaningless placeholder position that would be too low for his current production or a slot that would be way too high for a guy the organization really has not committed to. There's no punchline, but I did laugh pretty hard at his presence in the same breath as Forsberg, Naslund, et al.

Zatkoff I don't think projects as a regular NHL'er but he's played respectably enough not to fall off entirely.

Gravel was a guy I gave a long look to, ultimately I think he is an HM type of guy with a good chance to rise fast in the near future. I'm less weary of big jumps than I am of premature small ones as you can probably tell. I had Mersh as that type of player and he shot up quickly. Schumacher as well. I would say I had Nolan that way but honestly had I done the Fall list he would have been on it, I thought he was unquestionably the most NHL-ready forward in rookie camp or preseason.

Loktionov is a perplexing one. On one hand he is considerably more skilled than Nolan and King, on the other those guys passed him ultimately for a good reason. Loktionov was heads above those guys when they all arrived in the organization but he has not established himself as a dominant AHL'er and his NHL career has been completely forgettable. He needs to get a lot stronger on the puck, period, or he won't succeed in the NHL. Still, he's promising enough to stay high on the list for now.

Berube, I saw quite a bit of as I cover the Reign now. There were one or two evaluations of him that I did not think were quite fair. Carrozzi beat him out mainly because Berube missing valuable instruction and conditioning coming off hip surgery and really wasn't right physically until a couple months into the season. Once he became the starter, he performed pretty well and hung onto the job.

The contention that Carrozzi challenged him in the playoffs, well, sort of. I think a lot of coaches would have made the switch for Game 3 coming off a one-day turnaround and a long bus ride. Not to second guess Christie, but he didn't do that. He did make the switch for Game 4 and it worked out, but it was Carrozzi getting lit up in Game 5 (although it was a poor team effort).

Anyway, my point is that Berube didn't struggle beyond about Christmas, he performed pretty well including some win streaks. He was also under a lot of pressure. The Reign were a run-and-gun team. They were not a good defensive team five-on-five, although their penalty kill was consistently effective. A lot of nights he was facing 35-45 shots, no shortage of rubber.

I think he could be a backup in Manchester last year if need be. I imagine Zatkoff's return will depend on a number of factors, if there is a better opportunity for him elsewhere I think both parties would do well to part ways. Give him a chance to move up in an organization and give the Kings a chance to audition someone like Berube or Gibson in a year. Gibson I don't see as mentally weak, he's just raw with a couple bad habits. He needs some continuity and a lot of reps.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 04-25-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

I should have clarified on Gibeon being mentally weak... I mean he seems prone to mental snafus and seems to get rattled easily when he struggles. If you get a couple goals on him it seems to snowball and he has trouble stopping easy shots. He just seems to have a lot of work to do on the mental aspect of the game. Needs to learn to focus on only the next shot he faces and let everything else take care of itself. Not so much mentally weak, but more trouble with the mental makeup a successful goalie needs to succeed at the highest level.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Yeah he seems to have taken a step back this year in that regard. He was under siege all the time last year and held up pretty well. This year he has found himself in some holes where he has greased up the sides instead of digging himself out.

His camp this year reminded me a lot of Martin Jones's last year, a little unsure of himself, struggling with reads and just being kind of overwhelmed by the speed of the game at times. That doesn't seem unusual. Jones had a much better camp this year.

I had a long talk with Bill Ranford about Gibson, he said at his age and experience there really wasn't anything he didn't need to work on, but that he had some things that couldn't be taught. He mostly focused on his agility and his potential to be a really explosive, powerful goalie. He also said, however, that Gibson was really receptive to coaching and picking up a lot of things quickly.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Fat Elvis

Everyone has jumped off the Deslauriers bandwagon? After his first season in the AHL he's fallen that far where he's "lost in the crowd"??

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Everyone has jumped off the Deslauriers bandwagon? After his first season in the AHL he's fallen that far where he's "lost in the crowd"??
IDK, I was never that that high on Deslauriers. He has some great skills, but he still needs plenty of work. Narchs D is starting to age Voynov has moved on, gonna be decision time on Hickey, Mullen, Kolomatis, Campbell fairly soon here, so I imagine he will get more of a chance next year and the year after to step it up. But Forbert and Gravel are coming as well, so he does need to be better soon.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
I really second-guessed dropping him down that far but three factors played in there. First, several guys moved up several slots while some others didn't deserve to drop significantly. Second, he had a pretty poor season, especially up until the all-star break. Third, I thought he was a little too high previously.

I could easily see his trajectory being similar to Campbell's at this point. He is probably a little more talented. Because of his disappointing year, I talked to a number of people about him. The general consensus was that he sort of picked the wrong year to be a rookie with plenty of instability on the club. Some were kind of harsh, others were kind of hopeful. Sounds like he is mobile, has a decent shot and an increasing willingness to use it and can compete even when he struggles.

He could move up the list in short order for sure, hard to say for Fall but definitely next Spring he will get a serious re-evaluation. Hopefully he is in rookie camp and I can get a real good look at him there.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
My list

1. Slava Voynov
2. Andrei Loktionov
3. Derek Forbort
4. Bud Holloway
5. Dwight King
6. Brandon Kozun
7. Jordan Nolan
8. Jake Muzzin
9. Linden Vey
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Martin Jones
12. Nick Shore
13. Thomas Hickey
14. Nic Deslauriers
15. Kevin Gravel
16. Jordan Weal
17. Robbie Czarnick
18. Max Kitsyn
19. Michael Mersch
20. Jeff Zatkoff

Obviously mine is going to be very different from most. Mine is based off potential and their development.

Last edited by CNS: 04-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.
CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
My list

1. Slava Voynov
2. Andrei Loktionov
3. Derek Forbort
4. Bud Holloway
5. Dwight King
6. Brandon Kozun
7. Jordan Nolan
8. Jake Muzzin
9. Linden Vey
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Martin Jones
12. Nick Shore
13. Thomas Hickey
14. Nic Deslauriers
15. Kevin Gravel
16. Robbie Czarnick
17. Max Kitsyn
18. Michael Mersch
19. Andy Andreoff
20. Jeff Zatkoff

Obviously mine is going to be very different from most. Mine is based off potential and their development.
I actually really like this list. Nick Shore is the only one that gave me pause for a second.

Right now the Kings lack the top end talent really, but have lots and lots and lots of very solid depth prospects, lots of guys who can be solid players but are far from guaranteed. I think it makes listing them pretty tough, Andrew's list is solid (my question are the much discussed issue with Holloway, Mersch/Schmaucher being so high gave me a little pause, and the wide discrepancy of Vey/Kozun) but most people's list pretty solid, IMO, since it is hard to say who comes out all those B prospects to be solid NHLers.

EDIT: Actually, that's the ones I wanted to ask you about Andrew. Mersch/Schmaucher seem higher than on most lists and what makes Vey and Kozun so far apart. Thanks for any response!

Old
04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
My list

1. Slava Voynov
2. Andrei Loktionov
3. Derek Forbort
4. Bud Holloway
5. Dwight King
6. Brandon Kozun
7. Jordan Nolan
8. Jake Muzzin
9. Linden Vey
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Martin Jones
12. Nick Shore
13. Thomas Hickey
14. Nic Deslauriers
15. Kevin Gravel
16. Robbie Czarnick
17. Max Kitsyn
18. Michael Mersch
19. Andy Andreoff
20. Jeff Zatkoff

Most surprising thing on your list is that Weal isn't on there but Andreoff is

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
I actually really like this list. Nick Shore is the only one that gave me pause for a second.

Right now the Kings lack the top end talent really, but have lots and lots and lots of very solid depth prospects, lots of guys who can be solid players but are far from guaranteed. I think it makes listing them pretty tough, Andrew's list is fairly solid (other than the much discussed issue with Holloway, Mersch/Schmaucher being so high gave me a little pause, and the wide discrepancy of Vey/Kozun) but most people's list pretty solid, IMO, since it is hard to say who comes out all those B prospects to be solid NHLers.

EDIT: Actually, that's the ones I wanted to ask you about Andrew. Mersch/Schmaucher seem higher than on most lists and what makes Vey and Kozun so far apart. Thanks for any response!
Someone likes something I posted?! Is this real life?

As for Shore, I think he's going to develop in to what we all hoped Stoll to be - a 3rd line center who brings a decent amount of offense. I really liked what I saw from his game this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Most surprising thing on your list is that Weal isn't on there but Andreoff is
Oops. I had Weal but I was editing it and must have deleted him. Editing it now.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Right now the Kings lack the top end talent really, but have lots and lots and lots of very solid depth prospects, lots of guys who can be solid players but are far from guaranteed. I think it makes listing them pretty tough, Andrew's list is solid (my question are the much discussed issue with Holloway, Mersch/Schmaucher being so high gave me a little pause, and the wide discrepancy of Vey/Kozun) but most people's list pretty solid, IMO, since it is hard to say who comes out all those B prospects to be solid NHLers.

Hi, well, I think Weal has sort of been unfairly lumped in with a group of very undersized Kings players. He is not as small as Kozun, not even close, he could ultimately be a slightly undersized NHL'er whereas Kozun would be small in the ECHL.

I understand that they had similar junior careers and are even on a similar track in the AHL. In the long run though, Vey, to me, has a better shot at making it and being a reasonably complete player, at least to the point where he has no glaring weakness.

I actually like Kozun's confidence and he has performed very well under adverse circumstances this year. That said, the impression I get is that he is pretty far down the Kings' line. In the end, that is what really caused the separation, I doubt he plays a game for the Kings whereas Vey has a pretty good chance of doing so.

Mersch I could have seen as low as 14 or 15 but no lower. He came to Wisconsin as a finesse player with a steep development curve, he's turned into a powerful player, a leader and a prospect that's ahead of schedule. Was pretty impressed by him at the draft watching a little film and speaking with him and everyone I spoke to around the CCHA had glowing things to say about him. He wound up a little higher than on my initial list as a result.

Schumacher, like Nolan, is a guy I thought was overlooked when Josh was here. He did a magnificent job following the Kings and still does all the way out in Sweden but we just differed there. Schmumacher is going to be a good one. He is still growing into his body and gaining coordination, I'd wager that in his final year of junior he could be a 90-point player with a nice physical facet of his game. Before all is said and done he could be a 6'6" 225-pound power forward with decent wheels and respectable hands. That's a pretty good player.

In all three cases, I think upside won out over a mix of guys who have mostly shown more or less what they are/will be. Like you said, no real high-end talent but lots of potentially productive role guys in the system at the moment.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Hi, well, I think Weal has sort of been unfairly lumped in with a group of very undersized Kings players. He is not as small as Kozun, not even close, he could ultimately be a slightly undersized NHL'er whereas Kozun would be small in the ECHL.

I understand that they had similar junior careers and are even on a similar track in the AHL. In the long run though, Vey, to me, has a better shot at making it and being a reasonably complete player, at least to the point where he has no glaring weakness.

I actually like Kozun's confidence and he has performed very well under adverse circumstances this year. That said, the impression I get is that he is pretty far down the Kings' line. In the end, that is what really caused the separation, I doubt he plays a game for the Kings whereas Vey has a pretty good chance of doing so.

Mersch I could have seen as low as 14 or 15 but no lower. He came to Wisconsin as a finesse player with a steep development curve, he's turned into a powerful player, a leader and a prospect that's ahead of schedule. Was pretty impressed by him at the draft watching a little film and speaking with him and everyone I spoke to around the CCHA had glowing things to say about him. He wound up a little higher than on my initial list as a result.

Schumacher, like Nolan, is a guy I thought was overlooked when Josh was here. He did a magnificent job following the Kings and still does all the way out in Sweden but we just differed there. Schmumacher is going to be a good one. He is still growing into his body and gaining coordination, I'd wager that in his final year of junior he could be a 90-point player with a nice physical facet of his game. Before all is said and done he could be a 6'6" 225-pound power forward with decent wheels and respectable hands. That's a pretty good player.

In all three cases, I think upside won out over a mix of guys who have mostly shown more or less what they are/will be. Like you said, no real high-end talent but lots of potentially productive role guys in the system at the moment.

Now that both the the 67's and the monarchs seasons are over respectively, who do you believe will be called up as "black aces."?

Lastly, are your opinions actually informed by having a connection actually within the Kings organization? Or do you just observe each prospect by watching their games and giving your informed opinion?

Sorry for the all the questions, if you could answer them, would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by HockeyCA: 02-24-2013 at 04:30 PM.
HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote