HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Caps tougher than we think?

Old
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Caps tougher than we think?

Can't help but worry about our 2nd round opponent. Wash has had our number the past few years and I believe they are even stronger now.

It's been well documented how coach Dale Hunter has transformed this team to a defensive system first and foremost. Knocking out the Champs is a testament to the success of their new strategy. You think the Ranger's play good D? Wash is just as tough defensively.

We are in for another tough battle in the 2nd round.

I can only say thank God Marc Staal is coming around to top form again. He led all players in TOI last nite, which is the first time he has done so this season. A sure sign he's back. And just in time to renew his rivalry with Ovie.

Thoughts?

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
clmetsfan

I don't think anyone is underestimating the Caps. I didn't want to play them in Round 1, and that was before their amazing defensive performance against the Bruins, a team that plays a very similar style to us.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM
dynamoovechkin

Yeah, they are tough but I like our chances.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Anyone who underestimated them in the first place was pretty stupid.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:48 PM
MAC TRUCK

I think if your a Ranger fan then you know that every round/game will be difficult and stressful occurrence. It will be a tough series as always but this time we CAN take it.

MAC TRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Dactyl

honestly i think they are underestimating us more than we are underestimating them

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
bmw2004

Not worried at all for some reason.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

Rangers in 5

Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
GarretJoseph

Caps are a bunch of *******. My balls are tougher than them all. It's ours. And when we advance, the Flyers and Debbies have been ours all season. Stanley Cup finals here we come, I'm confident of this 1000000%

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Pizza

Attaboy Garret.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:09 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I don't think anyone is underestimating the Caps. I didn't want to play them in Round 1, and that was before their amazing defensive performance against the Bruins, a team that plays a very similar style to us.
Good post. I find it amazing how teams in the playoffs always step up defensively (Ottawa) like never before. And the Caps are no different. Yeah, they have had their new system in place before the playoffs,... but to shutdown the B's they definitely took it to a higher level. Boston was a top scoring team this year.

With Washington giving us the usual problems, we now have to find a way to get through their D and score. This was quite evident in game 82. I only hope that game was not a true indication of the Rangers effort being it was not a critical game.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Good post. I find it amazing how teams in the playoffs always step up defensively (Ottawa) like never before. And the Caps are no different. Yeah, they have had their new system in place before the playoffs,... but to shutdown the B's they definitely took it to a higher level. Boston was a top scoring team this year.

With Washington giving us the usual problems, we now have to find a way to get through their D and score. This was quite evident in game 82. I only hope that game was not a true indication of the Rangers effort being it was not a critical game.
i honestly think that we have more pure offensive weapons than boston (gabs, richie, cally, and step vs. who kreiji, seguin, bergeron) i would honestly choose the rangers

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:18 PM
IAMREALITY

It's kinda a really silly discussion to me. At this point, in the second round, no one should underestimate any team. The first round is the hardest test. After that, for all intents and purposes, all teams are equal in their own way. I think each team, in any given series, could win that series. I think each team, if looked upon by an opponent, would be able to have strong things said about parts of their game that make the opponents fans worry a bit. Each team at this point should have enough good things to say about them that this exact thread could be started on any given board.

On any given day in any given series, all of Washington, Philly, and the Debbies could beat us... Or we could beat them...

But I like our resolve and resilience. I LOVE what I see out of Hags an Kreider and can't wait to see more. Hockey fate will decide if we are worthy. But I see no reason why we can't be. What I do know is that we'll give it our all, and give whoever the heck is playing us from here on out one hell of a battle.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... We've got Lundqvist...

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:44 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

N Y R: Making rookie goalies famous since 1926...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:52 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

washington's forwards are bigger than NYs

and the Caps top end talent is arguably better than Ottawas too

washington is going to get in Henrik's grill all series long

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:58 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
i honestly think that we have more pure offensive weapons than boston (gabs, richie, cally, and step vs. who kreiji, seguin, bergeron) i would honestly choose the rangers
Yeah but our best forward hasn't shown up.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i predict Rangers in 7 IF the caps try to play a low scoring grind it out series like they did against the Brooins. I also predicted Capitals in 5 if they decide to open it up and play an up tempo game against us. Will be interesting to see what we get.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:06 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i predict Rangers in 7 IF the caps try to play a low scoring grind it out series like they did against the Brooins. I also predicted Capitals in 5 if they decide to open it up and play an up tempo game against us. Will be interesting to see what we get.
Wow and they say I'm negative. Maybe the Rangers don't allow them to open it up. The Rangers have done a good job all year of playing low scoring grind it out games against all teams except for the Penguins. The Caps are not the Penguins.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Ice Hockey

i wanted the caps over the sens and even over winnipeg when they were in the race. while i do have memories of rookie caps goaltenders we were unable to solve, if we play the way we did in game 7, we will take this series-- hopefully in less than 7 games. i think we match up well against the caps

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Wow and they say I'm negative. Maybe the Rangers don't allow them to open it up. The Rangers have done a good job all year of playing low scoring grind it out games against all teams except for the Penguins. The Caps are not the Penguins.
im not negative, i just dont like the way the Rangers match up against the Capitals team. Not 1 bit. I predicted Rangers in 5 against the Sens (i think i changed it to "6" to be safe), and i would predict a rangers win against every other team remaining in the NHL....except for the Caps...not because the Caps are awesome or whatever, just because of the way we match up against them. Only 2 teams id rather face less than the Caps....Penguins, and the Canadiens. Yep. It's not about the record of the team, its about the way our team matches up to their team.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
im not negative, i just dont like the way the Rangers match up against the Capitals team. Not 1 bit. I predicted Rangers in 5 against the Sens (i think i changed it to "6" to be safe), and i would predict a rangers win against every other team remaining in the NHL....except for the Caps...not because the Caps are awesome or whatever, just because of the way we match up against them. Only 2 teams id rather face less than the Caps....Penguins, and the Canadiens. Yep. It's not about the record of the team, its about the way our team matches up to their team.
I'd take the Canadiens every day and twice on Sundays. We showed that we can dominate them when we're actually seriously playing for something. Also, Flyers>>>Caps. I'm not that afraid of the Caps offense. I'm more worried that they'll try to grind us out like they did Boston. Then it's a coin flip, like the Sens series. If they try to run and gun, I'm confident our defense would be good enough to stop them and our offense would be good enough to score. Grind it out series are coin flips because our offense isn't good enough to break them.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'd take the Canadiens every day and twice on Sundays. We showed that we can dominate them when we're actually seriously playing for something. Also, Flyers>>>Caps. I'm not that afraid of the Caps offense. I'm more worried that they'll try to grind us out like they did Boston. Then it's a coin flip, like the Sens series. If they try to run and gun, I'm confident our defense would be good enough to stop them and our offense would be good enough to score. Grind it out series are coin flips because our offense isn't good enough to break them.
Id never want to play the Canadiens in the playoffs. Never. To me, there's no worse draw than that team. They could have the kids from south park playing and we'd still find a way to lose in that building.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
It's kinda a really silly discussion to me. At this point, in the second round, no one should underestimate any team. The first round is the hardest test. After that, for all intents and purposes, all teams are equal in their own way. I think each team, in any given series, could win that series. I think each team, if looked upon by an opponent, would be able to have strong things said about parts of their game that make the opponents fans worry a bit. Each team at this point should have enough good things to say about them that this exact thread could be started on any given board.

On any given day in any given series, all of Washington, Philly, and the Debbies could beat us... Or we could beat them...

But I like our resolve and resilience. I LOVE what I see out of Hags an Kreider and can't wait to see more. Hockey fate will decide if we are worthy. But I see no reason why we can't be. What I do know is that we'll give it our all, and give whoever the heck is playing us from here on out one hell of a battle.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... We've got Lundqvist...
It's not really about underestimating Wash.

We all knew going into the playoffs, Wash would be a tough opponent. We all wanted anyone other than them in the first round. So it's not so much of underestimating them as it is,.... they might be even a tougher opponent than they already are for us.

One thing very noticeable in these playoffs is the fact, we have not changed our game one bit. We have been playing playoff hockey all year. Not so with other teams. They are playing better than they did during the regular season.

This is gonna be a tough series for us. And it could be a short one if we are not careful. They have a hot goalie, good D, and some offensive punch. Sound familiar?

Tort's said about the past series against Ottawa that it wasn't about outworking the other team, it was about scoring key goals at key times. That might be true in that series, but it's imperative we out work the Caps if we are to have any chance.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:31 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised by you. For someone who's obviously been around awhile you really come off sounding so scared of a challenge. As if you just want the cup to come easy, without having to prove anything. I dunno, just comes off as weak to me. And nothing about winning the cup is rooted in weakness. A true warrior has the courage to face down any opponent, and the Cup is the trophy of warriors. So stop being so scared about having to overcome a challenge or two along this road. If you want to see your team (our team) win the Cup then you best find the fortitude and courage to deal with the fact that the road is a grueling one lined with blood and sacrifice. it really is that simple. But again; that's why winning the Cup is one of the most satisfying moments in all of sports. Cause it definitely ain't for wussies.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:37 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
It's not really about underestimating Wash.

We all knew going into the playoffs, Wash would be a tough opponent. We all wanted anyone other than them in the first round. So it's not so much of underestimating them as it is,.... they might be even a tougher opponent than they already are for us.

One thing very noticeable in these playoffs is the fact, we have not changed our game one bit. We have been playing playoff hockey all year. Not so with other teams. They are playing better than they did during the regular season.

This is gonna be a tough series for us. And it could be a short one if we are not careful. They have a hot goalie, good D, and some offensive punch. Sound familiar?

Tort's said about the past series against Ottawa that it wasn't about outworking the other team, it was about scoring key goals at key times. That might be true in that series, but it's imperative we out work the Caps if we are to have any chance.
a) Do you not remember March/April? b) Lundqvist had a 1.70 GAA and .945 save % playing against the #4 offense in the NHL. He had a 1.97 (or 1.95 I forget) GAA and .930 against teams that included the worst teams in the league, during the regular season.