HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps tougher than we think?

Old
04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
ya the Caps are tough but I think this Ranger team takes them out

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:10 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
rookie/and sub-par goalies = rangers kryptonite. and holtby actually is good so forget the rookie status. if the rangers underestimate the caps they lose. i honestly think the rangers took the sens too lightly through 1st half of game 2.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:13 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
a) Do you not remember March/April? b) Lundqvist had a 1.70 GAA and .945 save % playing against the #4 offense in the NHL. He had a 1.97 (or 1.95 I forget) GAA and .930 against teams that included the worst teams in the league, during the regular season.
I have no idea what you are trying to say with those stats. What I was saying was we have not changed our game at all. As we have been playing playoff style hockey all year long. Other teams have tightened up and are playing a simpler game with less turnovers, making for less scoring chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
im not negative, i just dont like the way the Rangers matchbooks up against the Capitals team. Not 1 bit. I predicted Rangers in 5 against the Sens (i think i changed it to "6" to be safe), and i would predict a rangers win against every other team remaining in the NHL....except for the Caps...not because the Caps are awesome or whatever, just because of the way we match up against them. Only 2 teams id rather face less than the Caps....Penguins, and the Canadiens. Yep. It's not about the record of the team, its about the way our team matches up to their team.
I happen to agree with Inferno here. We don't match up well.

And I have no doubt Wash will keep to their system and grind it out. And so I agree the Rangers have a good chance cause they are the best at grinding it out. But my main concern is the momentum swings. Washington can score in bunches if we don't control those swings. As they have against us many times before.

Last edited by ohbaby: 04-28-2012 at 01:22 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Based on the opinions of them swirling around here, no.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:15 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Anyone who underestimated them in the first place was pretty stupid.

I agree with this. Would rather play Flyers than Caps. Caps scare the crap out of me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
theJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post

and the Caps top end talent is arguably better than Ottawas too
They aren't.

Henrik, the Dcorp and the backchecking of our forwards shut down a superior offense in Ottawa. They will do it to the Caps.

Holtby is going to have a hard landing into reality.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

The Caps are the team I'd least like to play out of all the teams that made the playoffs...even over the Penguins. The possibility of making Holtby look like Hasek and having their offensive guns wake up this series scare the bejeezus out of me. I'm predicting Caps in 6, but I hope like hell that I'm wrong. If the Rangers do advance, Washington will be the toughest team we play in the playoffs for sure.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:19 AM
crisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I'm a bit surprised by you. For someone who's obviously been around awhile you really come off sounding so scared of a challenge. As if you just want the cup to come easy, without having to prove anything. I dunno, just comes off as weak to me. And nothing about winning the cup is rooted in weakness. A true warrior has the courage to face down any opponent, and the Cup is the trophy of warriors. So stop being so scared about having to overcome a challenge or two along this road. If you want to see your team (our team) win the Cup then you best find the fortitude and courage to deal with the fact that the road is a grueling one lined with blood and sacrifice. it really is that simple. But again; that's why winning the Cup is one of the most satisfying moments in all of sports. Cause it definitely ain't for wussies.
I didn't see that from his posts at all. He just said that he thinks the matchup with the caps is not in the rangers favor. a fair comment I think. You're acting like inferno has to lace the skates up and go out to war. I think we all know that the trip to the finals is a gruelsome trip. If anybody thinks it's easy, they are fooling themselves.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:21 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
They aren't.

Henrik, the Dcorp and the backchecking of our forwards shut down a superior offense in Ottawa. They will do it to the Caps.

Holtby is going to have a hard landing into reality.
Wait what? Caps top end talent not better than Sens top end talent? Completely disagree with that.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:23 AM
theJUMPER

People that think this is the same team that faced the Caps the past two times are insane.

+Gaborik bouncing off his worst professional season
+Brad Richards
+Callahan playing
+a mature McD, MDZ
+Hagelin, Kreider, and Stepan finally picking up his game
+Losing in order to know what it takes to win.

Very confident this series. Very.

Look at this roster and tell me the past has anything to do with THIS Ranger team...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/...w-york-rangers

Old
04-28-2012, 01:25 AM
theJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Wait what? Caps top end talent not better than Sens top end talent? Completely disagree with that.
Caps are living on the fumes of the past.

Michalek, Spezza, Alfredsson, Karlsson > Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, Green.

That's just my opinion though.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:33 AM
theJUMPER

I'm kinda surprised how much credit you all are giving the caps. Better matchup than the Pens or Flyers? No way.

Those two teams fire on all cylinders. A tired Bruins team lost overtime games. You just aren't as hungry if you've won it the year before, it's just human nature.

The Rangers were on the verge of defeat and fought back to win 2 games. They tasted what 82+ games without a Stanley Cup felt like and decided they rather win.

They will play their hearts out this series and win, convincingly.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:41 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
Caps are living on the fumes of the past.

Michalek, Spezza, Alfredsson, Karlsson > Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, Green.

That's just my opinion though.
1. Karlsson is awesome but this series showed that he could be exposed defensively and neutralize his effectiveness offensively

2. Michalek and Spezza (minus game5) were invisible the entire series. That had a lot to do with McD and Girardi, but still.

3. Random thought: I think the darkhorse for Rangers MVP this series is Dale Hunter. You can tell Ovie is unhappy with his playing time and if Hunter continues to bench Ovie this Caps team has a strong chance of completely imploding.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:47 AM
theJUMPER

Quote:
1. Karlsson is awesome but this series showed that he could be exposed defensively and neutralize his effectiveness offensively

2. Michalek and Spezza (minus game5) were invisible the entire series. That had a lot to do with McD and Girardi, but still.

3. Random thought: I think the darkhorse for Rangers MVP this series is Dale Hunter. You can tell Ovie is unhappy with his playing time and if Hunter continues to bench Ovie this Caps team has a strong chance of completely imploding.
Karlsson was great til the final 2 games. He was pretty much the catalyst for Ottawa up until game 5.

My point is the McD and Girardi will do the same to the Caps top players. They weren't dominate vs. the Bruins. Caps won one goal games, and i think our D is better than the Bruins. Chara looked wicked slow this year.

Ovie Hunter drama would be nice. If we go up 2-0 in convincing wins, egos might collide, benefiting the Rangers.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

every game against every team will have us on the edge of our seats. especially now that it's the playoffs and every team here has already proved themselves. BUT we can also beat every team in this league. we've proved it in the regular season, we can prove it now. this team finished first in the east for a reason, and regardless of how the caps play this team will play and will win. we haven't been dominated by the caps in the past-- and this year we are 100% better... regardless to how they play this team can beat them, and as far as it round 1 looked, they will.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:08 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Can I supersize that McDunna with fries?

We did a good job on Spezza and Co. And we can do the same vs Wash. Staal relishes playing against Ovie. It's those dam momentum swings we need to control, if they score.

TheJUMPER..... Rangers faced them 4x this year and the last game of the season we did not look good against them. We could not get near the net for any good scoring chances. It was basically a meaningless game but still.... there was the President's Trophy.

But there is one player who wasn't there. And Kreider might have a huge impact in this series. He improves every game and is contributing more and more. His forecheck along with Hags will be very important this series.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:13 AM
theJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
TheJUMPER..... Rangers faced them 4x this year and the last game of the season we did not look good against them. We could not get near the net for any good scoring chances. It was basically a meaningless game but still.... there was the President's Trophy.
I just need to cite the Ottawa vs. Rangers regular season to prove the point that it doesn't really mean anything.

Players take shifts, days off vs. lesser opponents. It's how sports is (why Islanders win half their games ). Nobody will be taking off now. The Caps were out of the playoffs most of the season and irrelevant.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:34 AM
ohbaby

I'm glad you guys are confident in our team. A big change from when we were down 3-2 vs Ottawa and everyone was saying the Rangers suck.

But I am not as confident as I was that the Rangers would come back and beat Ottawa.

Anyone thinking this is a Cakewalk is nuts. Would I like to see a Cakewalk? Hell yeah! Rattle this rookie early, and it might be possible. But highly unlikely. Rookies generally feel no pressure.

This is going 7 and I will be tapping my feet saying over and over again ,.... There's no place like home.....

Old
04-28-2012, 03:05 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Not worried at all for some reason.
Same. Just not particularly impressed with them. Rangers in 6

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:24 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
the problem is that if Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin are ON, they are better but this season and this playoff they have not been. I think Ottawa's top end talent plays a better all around and disciplined game. Washington's top end won't get mistaken for good 2-way players at all. Well, except Hunter has them playing defense first but from the games I watched, Ovechkin still played undisciplined hockey. We managed to neutralize (survive) Karlsson so I think we'll be fine handing Carlson. They pretty much have the same name! I think the D matches up pretty evenly with Ottawa's talent so it'll all depend on what sort of defensive system they play and what sort of adjustments we make. I liked hearing that we switched to playing a trap when Karlsson was on the ice. That sort of on-the-fly adaptive play is great to see from our coaching staff.

Karlsson > Carlson
Gonchar >=< Green
Phillips >=< Alzer
Kuba = Hamrlik
Cowen = Schultz
Gilroy <<<<<< Wideman
Carkner = Erskine

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:34 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

One thing to consider is that Ottawa really only had two good faceoff guys in Spezza and Konopka and in several of the games, it felt like they really dominated us. Washington has three decent faceoff guys in Backstrom, Beagle, and Laich so we're really gonna need a healthy Boyle back to have a chance of going 50/50 against their guys. Maybe Stepan will do better not having to go against Spezza and Konopka?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...rt/faceoffsWon

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:36 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
honestly i think they are underestimating us more than we are underestimating them
This. I've noticed Caps fans being all high and mighty because they knocked out the "defending champs." What they don't realize is that the defending champs simply haven't been good since January. We are a much better team than the Bruins this season.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Leetch66

Pound away at Semin-Green-Backstrom and go from there . We need to finish them on every shift along the boards and stay in their heads the whole game . I expect a couple of scraps in the game today...I hope Bickel and Rupp can get involved very early and make the 3 minutes they play worthwhile by taking a Cap regular off with them .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
miker183
Rookie User

In the playoffs, I think its best to fear EACH opponent, but to be the best you have to BEAT the best.

For my part, Pittsburgh scared me the most, followed by Ottawa. Going into the playoffs, Ottawa had already been playing "playoff hockey" just to get in; they had their best game going coming in and that made them dangerous IMO. Washington presents a challenge, no doubt. But, I always feel when a team knocks you out, you have that notion of get even, the Rangers have this TWICE. This series will come down to what the players have inside . . . . character. I trust in the make up of this team.

Easy, no. But, think the Rangers take this one, but just like the regular season, let's just play them one game at a time.

LGR!!

miker183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Blueblood 2

Rangers are tougher than we think! Battle hardened and ready to win.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote