HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 — Germany

Old
04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
zecke26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Aren't we lucky that our coaches are so smart?
I mean all those other teams bringing over any NHL player they can find, and they actually think they are making their teams better?

Ok some of them came over in time to play a few friendlies, but some won't.
to be honest, usually the german NHLers were the worst players on the team. i still remember some incredible awful performances by sturm, ehrhoff or my personal friend hecht. and i don't want to talk about schubert in the past.

the best german WC performances were with only a few or no NHLers at all. as long as they play as a team, they will do fine.

of course on paper it would be nice to have all those guys, but i really have my doubt that this team would be better with them.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:47 PM
JoeLH

Ehrhoff played very well most of the time. Sturm generally struggled over the last few years, his speed, once his biggest asset, suffered dramatically due to age and all those injuries. Hecht indeed wasn't really good in his last tournaments before he retired.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
to be honest, usually the german NHLers were the worst players on the team. i still remember some incredible awful performances by sturm, ehrhoff or my personal friend hecht. and i don't want to talk about schubert in the past.

the best german WC performances were with only a few or no NHLers at all. as long as they play as a team, they will do fine.

of course on paper it would be nice to have all those guys, but i really have my doubt that this team would be better with them.
I remember good and mediocre performances by Ehrhoff not really anything bad. Maybe he did not play up to his potential but he usually was better than the rest of the defensemen.
Also I liked Goc the last couple of times when he played for the national team. Most of the time he was the best forward on the team.

I agree about Hecht (who I liked on the sabres those past years but not on Team Germany) and Sturm. But that was not just them. There were quite a number of DEL-players who never seemed to bring the same level of play on the national team as they did for their club (e.g. Gogulla or Greilinger).

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Password

Are Seidenberg, Goc or Sturm joining the team?

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
Are Seidenberg, Goc or Sturm joining the team?
Seidenberg is not.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Ob Goc nach dem Aus nun Bundestrainer Jakob Kölliker für die WM in Finnland und Schweden zur Verfügung steht (4. bis 20. Mai), war zunächst offen. Sturm wird bei der WM nicht dabei sein
Still open whether Goc comes or not. Sturm will not come.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...35e27e93c88.01

sturmthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
GermanNuck

Quote:
Im vorletzten WM-Vorbereitungsspiel im Rahmen des Slovakia Cups (Bratislava) hat die Deutsche Auswahl 5:2 gegen Weißrussland gewonnen! Felix Schütz (3.), Thomas Greilinger (28. und 43.), Andre Rankel (38.) und Evan Kaufmann (40.) erzielten die Treffer für Deutschland. Morgen spielt die Nationalmannschaft gegen Gastgeber Slowakei (17 Uhr).
Germany won the match against Belarus 5-2, Schütz, Greilinger, Rankel and Kaufmann scored.

Tomorrow Germany will face Slovakia in the last match before the WC.

Looking pretty good right now, Belarus has always been a tough challenge for Germany, as we can hardly adapt their style of play.

GermanNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

The first game of the Slovakia/Skoda Cup was today. German won 5-2 vs Belarus. Endras was in net for Germany -- 32/34 .941 sv% They will play Slovakia tomorrow.

PERIOD TIME TEAM SCORE SCORER (ASSISTANCE)
1 02:13 GER 0:1 55 Felix Schütz (39 Thomas Greilinger) EQ
2 26:21 BLR 1:1 84 Mikhail Grabovski (23 Sergei Drozd, 19 Dmitri Meleshko) PP1
2 27:09 GER 1:2 39 Thomas Greilinger (87 Philip Gogulla, 55 Felix Schütz ) EQ
2 37:26 GER 1:3 24 André Rankel (21 John Tripp) PP2
2 39:11 GER 1:4 19 Evan Kaufmann (29 Alexander Barta, 5 Tim Schüle) EQ
3 42:29 GER 1:5 39 Thomas Greilinger (55 Felix Schütz , 5 Tim Schüle) EQ
3 55:39 BLR 2:5 45 Andrei Kolosov (28 Konstantin Koltsov, 91 Kiril Gotovets) EQ

http://statistiky.szlh.sk/live/62746

In other news Greiss will only travel to Sweden if Zepp isn't invited or accepts. Marco Sturm isn't available.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...7fc2d0c998.191

Old
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

1 NHL player

IIHF ‏ @IIHFHockey
Forward Marcel Goc of the @FlaPanthers will join the German national team next week.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:59 AM
GermanNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
1 NHL player

IIHF ‏ @IIHFHockey
Forward Marcel Goc of the @FlaPanthers will join the German national team next week.

Nah seriously, i like Goc and think he's very very underrated in the NHL, Florida played visible worse when he was injured. Seems like he makes all those little moves and puts a lot of effort into his play..

Glad he joined!

Old
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Any CHL players?

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
GermanNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Any CHL players?
Nope, only one I would see as physically ready is Abeltshauser, and he's still in the playoffs..

Old
04-27-2012, 02:20 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanNuck View Post
Nope, only one I would see as physically ready is Abeltshauser, and he's still in the playoffs..
What about Kuhnhackl? Both of these guys project to be good NHLers and will be in the AHL next season.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
GermanNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
What about Kuhnhackl? Both of these guys project to be good NHLers and will be in the AHL next season.
Still in the playoffs.. I would give him a chance, but our national coach wouldn't
I think he's a great catch for the Pens nonetheless

Old
04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanNuck View Post
Still in the playoffs.. I would give him a chance, but our national coach wouldn't
I think he's a great catch for the Pens nonetheless
Definitely.

Good to see that Goc is going. Would have been nice to see Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Sulzer and Sturm go as well, but I guess they had their reasons.

Why isn't Greiss the starting goalie on this team? He was in the Olympics and had a very good year for San Jose this year. He came in expected to be the third stringer, but really proved himself as a NHL goalie this season.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Definitely.

Good to see that Goc is going. Would have been nice to see Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Sulzer and Sturm go as well, but I guess they had their reasons.

Why isn't Greiss the starting goalie on this team? He was in the Olympics and had a very good year for San Jose this year. He came in expected to be the third stringer, but really proved himself as a NHL goalie this season.
The coach feels that he wouldn't have enough time to get used to the larger playing surface. It is good to know that two goalies will make it over him that couldn't hold his jockstrap. It should be Endras and Greiss.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
croAVSfan*

So Greiss will come and share duties with Endrass ?

If so, then Germany will have good goaltender duo

Last edited by croAVSfan*: 04-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.
croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
The coach feels that he wouldn't have enough time to get used to the larger playing surface. It is good to know that two goalies will make it over him that couldn't hold his jockstrap. It should be Endras and Greiss.
He played last season in Sweden so adjusting to the big ice shouldn't be a problem. I think there is something else that is keeping him from playing. Almost seems like a punishment for him playing in NA instead of Europe.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
He played last season in Sweden so adjusting to the big ice shouldn't be a problem. I think there is something else that is keeping him from playing. Almost seems like a punishment for him playing in NA instead of Europe.
Finland.

But yes, pretty much everyone here feels that it should not be an issue and that Greiss should be on the team along with Endras and one of Pätzold, Zepp, Kotschnew or Reimer, but apparently the coaches feel differently.

And while they are all decent or even good goalies. At this moment Endras and Greiss are clearly our top two goalies.

Also, with Endras in goal we will never win a shootout. Never, even if the other team plays without a goalie.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:20 PM
croAVSfan*

How do you, german fans, feel about this team ? Can they reach quarters, maybe even semis ?

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Finland.
Sweden was correct, it's Endras who played in Finland

This team needs to make the quarters to secure automatic Olympic qualification. I think it's doable with the way they are performing right now, but you never know what happens in the actual tournament. As long as they get the olympic qualification I'm happy.

Anything beyond the quarters would likely need a mixture of a lot of luck, an opponent who fits the team well, plus a very hot goalie. Very very unlikely.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Sweden was correct, it's Endras who played in Finland

This team needs to make the quarters to secure automatic Olympic qualification. I think it's doable with the way they are performing right now, but you never know what happens in the actual tournament. As long as they get the olympic qualification I'm happy.

Anything beyond the quarters would likely need a mixture of a lot of luck, an opponent who fits the team well, plus a very hot goalie. Very very unlikely.
You're right of course, my bad.

All this talk about Endras and Greiss got me confused.

Old
04-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
How do you, german fans, feel about this team ? Can they reach quarters, maybe even semis ?
Can they reach the quarters? Yes
Do I expect them to reach the quarters? No

Can they reach the semis? No

I would rank the teams in that group something like this:

Sweden
Russia

Czech Republic

Denmark

Germany
Norway
Latvia

Italy

Old
04-28-2012, 05:48 AM
GermanNuck

I'm looking forward to our match-up against Denmark, should be a good game, and I think if we continue to play like we're doing it now, we should beat them..

Old
04-28-2012, 06:57 AM
zecke26

Quote:
He played last season in Sweden so adjusting to the big ice shouldn't be a problem.
and he was so bad that it wasn't even funny anymore. never seen him as bad as he was for brynas in some games. so that's really not a good argument.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote