HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 01:33 PM
nightfighter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Visnovsky wanted out, Whitney got hurt, not the GM's bad on that one

Without Nikolai we wouldn't have Hall or Nuge and now the opportunity to take 1st overall for a third time consecutively, while painful to watch for the last few years this deal has done more to set us up for the future than any other signing made by this club since Chris Pronger.

POS and Kotalik were both huge disappointments, O'Sullivans initials should have been warning enough

as for not making moves for the sake of looking busy, I'm pretty stoked about our future, time to stop fretting about the past.
Are you saying this deal was so bad, that it's good? If only it worked that way.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
With forward talent piling up in Edmonton, it seems we have too many people vying for a top six RW position.

LW Center RW
Taylor Hall (L) RNH (L) Eberle (R)
Magnus Paajarvi (L) Gagner (R) Hemsky (R)
Yakupov (L)

My question is who is best suited to change position? As a left handed RW is Yakupov able to play LW? Does he have experience on the LW?
I think halls battle level and moderate size makes him the best candidate for center.

I think yakupov should be the last RW you move to the left because of his one timer. It's a huge weapon, taking him off the right would remove that. I think that Eberle would have no problem going to the left, he did for acouple of games with hemsky and looked good.

Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Prv-Hall-Hemsky

The real question is, what exactly can we actually get for Gagner.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Are you saying this deal was so bad, that it's good? If only it worked that way.
Felix culpa

Old
04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
I think halls battle level and moderate size makes him the best candidate for center.

I think yakupov should be the last RW you move to the left because of his one timer. It's a huge weapon, taking him off the right would remove that. I think that Eberle would have no problem going to the left, he did for acouple of games with hemsky and looked good.

Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Prv-Hall-Hemsky

The real question is, what exactly can we actually get for Gagner.
If you move Eberle to LW then why the need to move Hall to C? Because PRV is doing so well? I don't think so.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
If you move Eberle to LW then why the need to move Hall to C? Because PRV is doing so well? I don't think so.

Why the need to move Hall to centre no matter where Eberle plays? I get that people don't like Gagner and some worry about Hall getting injured, but I've never understood the logic of trying to get our best left winger off of the left wing to somehow free up space for the 3 right wingers competing for a spot in the top 6. How does moving Hall help the situation even slightly? If we keep all of Yakupov, Eberle and Hemsky, I think one of them is going to have to move to the left wing (or centre I guess). Moving Hall just doesn't make sense to me.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Can't count on MPS to grab a top 6 job out of camp quite yet IMO.
He could very well play a full season of AHL next year.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
He also said, you win cups with great forwards.
It's funny because you mostly hear that defense wins championships. Funny how Crosby and Malkin also weren't able to bring the cup with their very very average defense this year. And Boston last year full of depth not one superstar forward.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
It's funny because you mostly hear that defense wins championships. Funny how Crosby and Malkin also weren't able to bring the cup with their very very average defense this year. And Boston last year full of depth not one superstar forward.
Crosby and company lost their heads, and lost the series because of it.

When they were composed and on their game they destroyed philly.

MAF crapping the bed didn't help their cause either.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
carolina hurricanes, pittsburgh penguins (to the finals twice), chicago blackhawks...uhh, we will use the tools available to win, not go by some generic quip with no statistical backing.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:29 AM
nexttothemoon
10 again

vCash: 733
There are as many formulas to winning a cup as there are cup winners. Every team is different. This year's winner will be a similar story.

I'd rather have a deep team at every single position but every team in this cap era can only do so much so something has to give usually. Strong defense and in net... weaker offense. Strong offense, good defense... average in net. There are endless combinations and nothing is black and white... lots of gray.

If the Oilers develop strong top 2 forward lines and can get their defense at least to average that's a great start to becoming very competitive. Goaltending still has to shape up but who knows... any of Dubnyk/Bunz/Roy/Perhonen etc could still develop into a solid goalie duo.

The funny thing about all these debates is that some seem to think Yakupov would be an excess asset up front and getting a decent dman would suddenly be a huge puzzle piece... sending them out of mediocrity. Newsflash to those deluded fans (mostly from other fanbases)... the Oilers are a 29th pace team (1 entire spot above their DFL finishes the previous 2 years) and they have plenty of holes EVERYWHERE so adding a premier piece at ANY position helps this team.

They don't need a premier talent like Yakupov any less than any other premier talent... they just need all the elite talent they can get and Yakupov is sitting there on a plate for them. Easy choice imo.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
The team that beat Pittsburgh has a pretty soft defence (Philly). They beat them with offence.

I think we could be similar to Philly in a couple of years if we bring in some bigger supplementary forwards.

Boston and their vaunted defence is golfing right alongside Pittsburgh right now. Playoffs can be a crap shoot, lets be honest.

IMO though if TV ratings for the ECF + SCF slip this year the NHL is going to instruct officials to start calling more obstruction penalties next season to allow for more offence. Right now I think they're trying to slow the game down because they don't know how else to deal with the concussion issue.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Arpeggio

Pittsburgh won a cup though, as has Chicago and to some extent Detroit using an offensive system. Just because this year a lot of big, defensive-minded teams are doing well doesn't mean you can't build a successful team in other ways.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Pittsburgh won a cup though, as has Chicago and to some extent Detroit using an offensive system. Just because this year a lot of big, defensive-minded teams are doing well doesn't mean you can't build a successful team in other ways.
What are you suggesting that things aren't exactly the same year to year? Isn't that why the Ducks are still the best team in the league because they beat everyone up?

In the end in the NHL, elite Talent wins you Cups, it's just surrounding that talent with pieces to help that help and fill holes.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Can we bring this thread back on track? How did it get to building defense for championship teams??

Old
04-28-2012, 08:01 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Seems like Yakupov is a little more physical than Hall is. Will be very interesting to see if Edmonton takes him, or moves the pick before the draft.
hall gets alot of physical attention too! having yakupov would split the load. the concussion is a huge issue for me though. that doesn't go away and every one after the first one comes easier and easier.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Can we bring this thread back on track? How did it get to building defense for championship teams??
I'm hoping for at least some new interviews. Driving me crazy.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:41 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
hall gets alot of physical attention too! having yakupov would split the load. the concussion is a huge issue for me though. that doesn't go away and every one after the first one comes easier and easier.
Could be an issue, could me nothing, Ovi got a concussion in the WJC and i havent heard of him getting one since then (and thats been what 7 years?), and he hits hard and gets hit hard a lot.

In this day and age, there arent too many players that dont get concussions. And he was back pretty quick after he got his, plus he has all summer to recover fully from it.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:53 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
It was a fairly minor concussion.

I heard he was sitting out more so due to the cut/bruising on his face.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
What are you suggesting that things aren't exactly the same year to year? Isn't that why the Ducks are still the best team in the league because they beat everyone up?

In the end in the NHL, elite Talent wins you Cups, it's just surrounding that talent with pieces to help that help and fill holes.
Yup and the pieces that we need are big and tough to play against forwards and some skilled d-men to get our forwards the puck.

04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
It was a fairly minor concussion.

I heard he was sitting out more so due to the cut/bruising on his face.
I heard it may have not even been a minor concussion, but rather whiplash.

It blows my mind how Montreal fans think Yakupov is a bigger risk, then galchenyuk. Because yakupov was out 3 games with a head injury, and galy missed the whole season.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:

It blows my mind how Montreal fans think Yakupov is a bigger risk, then galchenyuk. Because yakupov was out 3 games with a head injury, and galy missed the whole season.

It's because they are finally resigned to the fact that the Oilers wont be trading down with them, so they have to get used to the fact that Yakupov will be an Oiler and they will (more than likely) get Galchenyuk. It's either that or they are still trying to convince Oiler fans that he is too risky in the off chance that we change our minds about Nail (we wont, but hey whatever floats their boat i guess).

At least the trolling has slowed down lately, which is nice to see, although i expect it to pick up again as the draft gets closer (not just by habs fans, but by everybody).

Old
04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
StanDarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge
It wouldn't have mattered if they had the best defence in the world. If you have a goalie letting in 2 out of 10 shots, you are going to lose.
You need a good goaltending no matter what to win a cup. Or in the very least you need average goaltending.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Nail and Nuge

Just watched the Junior World's again on TSN- specifically, the round robin Russia vs Sweden game. Yakupov was world class in that game. He set up a beautiful goal and nearly sniped a few from the slot.

Edmonton has simply got to take the easy choice and take the BPA. Let our (? new) coach deal with line combinations, and acquire assets.

Yakupov = major asset.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Dinkum View Post
Just watched the Junior World's again on TSN- specifically, the round robin Russia vs Sweden game. Yakupov was world class in that game. He set up a beautiful goal and nearly sniped a few from the slot.

Edmonton has simply got to take the easy choice and take the BPA. Let our (? new) coach deal with line combinations, and acquire assets.

Yakupov = major asset.
They will or else they will lose a million fans.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:

Does it really? they pick 3rd of course Yakupov is the risk player now they have 0 chance of getting him withought a huge overpayment. It is HF at its classic self our pick at 3rd is going to be better than yours at 1st. Remember the thread last year from sens saying whoever they picked at 6th was going to be better than RNH and they would not trade Runblad or Cowen for the 1st overall because Cowen was lighting it up in the AHL playoffs and Runblad was the Swedish version of Bobby Orr.

Closed Thread