HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Markham Arena II

Old
04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
Using your website, the radius does include the the portion of the Niagara peninsula if you use the city limit rather than the city centre.

Not as the crow flies.
As the crow flies it's 69 miles

Well the site below says 71 miles
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Using your website, the radius does include the the portion of the Niagara peninsula if you use the city limit [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"](edit:Yonge and Steeles)[/COLOR] rather than the city centre.

Not as the crow flies.

But, I don't think any of this really matters. What matters is the league's whim
50 miles touches Hamilton Harbor.

Very true about the league.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Killion

Quote:
As the crow flies? Really? Are you sure about "As the crow flies"?
Yes dammit. "Really Truly Honestly Forever & Ever Amen". Scouts Honor. Thats exactly how its' worded as unbelievable & ludicrous as it's both written & sounds when you say it out loud. Like some late 19th century clause youd expect to find in a Treaty over land claims & territorial rights attributed to a governmental or miltary authority in negotiations with Cochise' or something. Just, bizarre, beyond even John Byner "Bizarre"... Tuesday nights at 8, on CHCH TV 11.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
There are lies, damn lies, and megaproject cost estimates. Rogers Centre, originally called "SkyDome", was promised for $150 million. The final cost was over half a billion ($570 million). After a couple of financial collapses, it was bought by Rogers Communications for $25 million in 2004. In the 15 years since its opening, it had depreciated 96%. Welcome to SkyDome II.
All cost overruns are being covered by Roustan's group, not the town of Markham.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
50 miles touches Hamilton Harbor.
I used the corner of Yonge & Steeles which is the city limit.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&rlz...ed=0CDIQ8gEwAg

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Confucius

Quote:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&rlz...ed=0CDIQ8gEwAg
Yeah I believe I used location to location, but it was a couple of months ago and I used a site ....oh I got the name of the place now

But damn I must have been alot smarter then it looks confusing but very accurate
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Click on Calculators......that's all I can remember

Old
04-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Killion

Quote:
Sorry, but you cant be doing that. The NHL Constitution was drafted in 1917. You'll have to determine where Toronto's city limits were at that time, and Id hazard to guess they stopped at either Bloor or perhaps atop Hoggs Hollow north of Lawrence & south of York Mills. Mt. Pleasant & Duplex on the east & west sides, with Parkdale & the Beaches borough's unto themselves. York, North York, Thornhill, Richmond Hill, Markham etc were all far flung locales' at the time pen was put to paper on this little charade.... if I was Eddie Livingstone, whose Dead, and Im not, though I sometimes wonder if ol' Eddy isnt visiting me out here from time-time, in the middle of the night like... Id' be rolling in the grave hysterically over this one.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
JMROWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
All cost overruns are being covered by Roustan's group, not the town of Markham.
Roustan's group is in for a rude awakking because there is no way this arena is only going cost 325 million LOL. more like between 400 - 500 million . Reason I say that is Quebec City arena is going to cost 400 million so there is no way the arena in Markham is going to cost less than what Quebec City is paying .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Sorry, but you cant be doing that. The NHL Constitution was drafted in 1917. You'll have to determine where Toronto's city limits were at that time
Actually, yes you can. The NHL Constitution defines Home Territory as "the city in which it is located and within 50 miles of that city's corporate limits", present tense - not within 50 miles of that city's corporate limits when the Franchise was granted. As Toronto grew through amalgamation the Leafs Home Territory encroached outward.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The NHL Constitution defines Home Territory as "the city in which it is located and within 50 miles of that city's corporate limits", present tense - not within 50 miles of that city's corporate limits....
Dangit, you Long Island Boys are mighty inventive, so I guess we'll just hafta leave it up to a Judge to decide...

Last edited by Killion: 04-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
04-27-2012, 10:42 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Roustan's group is in for a rude awakking because there is no way this arena is only going cost 325 million LOL. more like between 400 - 500 million . Reason I say that is Quebec City arena is going to cost 400 million so there is no way the arena in Markham is going to cost less than what Quebec City is paying .
How much of QC's cost includes land acquisition and site prep?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
How much of QC's cost includes land acquisition and site prep?
Land acquisition should be free.
Site prep & soil remediation?. Free.
You have a problem with this concept?...

Old
04-27-2012, 10:57 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Land acquisition should be free.
Site prep & soil remediation?. Free.
You have a problem with this concept?...
No Killion I don't. I was just pointing out that the absence of land acquisition and site prep costs may keep the costs lower vis-a-vis QC. Nothing to get hostile over.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
No Killion I don't. I was just pointing out that the absence of land acquisition and site prep costs may keep the costs lower vis-a-vis QC. Nothing to get hostile over.
... no worries. Im too old (and drunk) to get "hostile".

Last edited by Killion: 04-28-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old
04-28-2012, 02:25 AM
htpwn

Markham City Council will discuss all-day transit service between Unionville GO Station (adjacent to the arena) and Union Station in Downtown Toronto on May 1st.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/...c323200775%29:

Metrolinx was already planning to study all-day, hourly service on this line in 2014, though Markham seems to be aiming for a more frequent service.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
....Markham seems to be aiming for a more frequent service.
... of couse they are. TTC clean on up to the arena.. Subway City. Theyll get it, eventually. Remove the tiles from Carlton/Wellesley, new Maple Leaf Gardens, "How d'ya Like Me So Far"?...

Old
04-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Melrose Munch

FYI this arena is supposed to finish long before the QC arena

Old
04-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Listen Jim, why don't you send the Roustan group an email and inform them they are way out of line on the price. If you do this and save them 100's of millions of dollars, they may send you a lttle something. Maybe even season tickets to the new Markham NHL team.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:26 PM
JMROWE

This is wake up call for Hamilton to get there act together & get Copps Coliseum renovated & get an prospective owner lined up within the next 3 years or risk lossing a potienial NHL. team that Hamilton has fought so hard for to Toronto & we all know we don't want that to happen do we .

Old
04-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Well with large Quebec construction projects you have to assume that $150M or so is tacked on due to corruption, no?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Listen Jim, why don't you send the Roustan group an email and inform them they are way out of line on the price. If you do this and save them 100's of millions of dollars, they may send you a lttle something. Maybe even season tickets to the new Markham NHL team.
I love you.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Listen Jim....
... man are you ever irreverent. ya'll ax the Minister "howz it hangin" on your way into Church?....

Old
04-28-2012, 04:38 PM
JMROWE

Roustan is a smart man & probley read that report by the confrence board of Canada saying that Hamilton & Quebec City are the only viable cities left in Canada in which to put an NHL. team & Toronto (Markham) was deemed not viable & would be difficult to make happen & he probley thinks it would be more trouble than it really worth to try putting a 2nd team in the GTA. .

Old
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Roustan is a smart man & probley read that report by the confrence board of Canada saying that Hamilton & Quebec City are the only viable cities left in Canada in which to put an NHL. team & Toronto (Markham) was deemed not viable & would be difficult to make happen & he probley thinks it would be more trouble than it really worth to try putting a 2nd team in the GTA. .
1) That confrence report never ever said anything about Markham
2) The NHL decides compensation

Old
04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
JMROWE

You guys want know somthing whille we are here bickerring away about who is better market Hamilton \ Markham \ Quebec City Gary Bettman & jolly gang of morons are sitting back laughing at us whille they plan to do stupid things to are national past time like trying hopeless crusade to save the Coyotes & thinkking of more stupid markets for hockey to expand to like Las Vegas or how about hawaii or new mexico anyything but Canada huh Gary . The fact is that Hamilton , Quebec City & Toronto 2 all can support & deserve NHL. teams I just think Hamilton & Quebec City should get there teams first because they have been waitting the longest & Toronto can afford to wait a little bit longer for a 2nd team . What I am trying to get at is that we have all turned on each other whille we have lost sight of who the true enemy is & that enemy is Gary Bettman his lacky Bill Daily & the rest of his jolly gang of morons .