HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Caps tougher than we think?

Old
04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
People that think this is the same team that faced the Caps the past two times are insane.

+Gaborik bouncing off his worst professional season
+Brad Richards
+Callahan playing
+a mature McD, MDZ
+Hagelin, Kreider, and Stepan finally picking up his game
+Losing in order to know what it takes to win.

Very confident this series. Very.

Look at this roster and tell me the past has anything to do with THIS Ranger team...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/...w-york-rangers
When I thought we were playing them, I used that as one of my points as to why we're a different team. However he has proven me wrong and played like **** again.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:05 AM
toastbag

To be honest I was MUCH more worried against the Senators than I am for this series. Nothing against the Capitals, I just think the Rangers match up better against them and I think the Rangers now a lot of confidence.

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Rangerfans

We got a huge weight off our backs by surviving a very difficult 1st round against a very formidable opponent in the Sens (we all knew it would be tough).

If we can get this monkey off our back and finally beat this team in the playoffs, I think we can really start believing in something magical.

I believe in this team tremendously. LGR!!!

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
When I thought we were playing them, I used that as one of my points as to why we're a different team. However he has proven me wrong and played like **** again.
No he hasn't.

Do you people play sports? You key onto their best players and shut. them. down.

Their Norris candidate had 1 goal off MDZ's skate. We locked him down. We locked Spezza down. We locked Alfie down.

Does it make them bad players? Absolutely not. Their grinders (Neil, Folig, etc) stepped it up.

Boyle stepped us for us. Step (finally!) stepped up for us.

That is what happens. They're going to be on them all series. That's when your other guys (DUBI! Artie!!!) need to bring up their game.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
People that think this is the same team that faced the Caps the past two times are insane.

+Gaborik bouncing off his worst professional season
+Brad Richards
+Callahan playing
+a mature McD, MDZ
+Hagelin, Kreider, and Stepan finally picking up his game
+Losing in order to know what it takes to win.

Very confident this series. Very.

Look at this roster and tell me the past has anything to do with THIS Ranger team...

Or even better, this team

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
trilobyte

In a match between Dale Hunter's new grinding Capitals against the Rangers' game, I like the Rangers game better.
Ovechkin, Semin and Backstrom (and Matt Bradley in 2009) always delivered killing blows when the Rangers could not buy a goal. That was why they always stuck the knife in the Rangers' back. These guys may be not be such a factor with the new Dale Hunter Caps. Especially if Hunter does not like their game and reduces their icetime. He has certainly proven beyond any doubt that he is decisive in doing exactly that. If the big egoes clash, that will be wonderful.

It's the Rangers being able to score some goals that will be the difference, in my opinion. With what I hope will be a much better attack than last season, I like the Rangers chances here.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat94 View Post
I think if your a Ranger fan then you know that every round/game will be difficult and stressful occurrence. It will be a tough series as always but this time we CAN take it.
This. Nothing is ever thought of as easy in a Rangers fan's world.

Cmox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:35 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Its the playoffs,hockey playoffs..every team is tough,under dogs play there hearts out,there are no easy series or games!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:48 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I'm a bit surprised by you. For someone who's obviously been around awhile you really come off sounding so scared of a challenge. As if you just want the cup to come easy, without having to prove anything. I dunno, just comes off as weak to me. And nothing about winning the cup is rooted in weakness. A true warrior has the courage to face down any opponent, and the Cup is the trophy of warriors. So stop being so scared about having to overcome a challenge or two along this road. If you want to see your team (our team) win the Cup then you best find the fortitude and courage to deal with the fact that the road is a grueling one lined with blood and sacrifice. it really is that simple. But again; that's why winning the Cup is one of the most satisfying moments in all of sports. Cause it definitely ain't for wussies.
Why does realizing a matchup may not favorable equal weak? I don't think he expected a run to the SCF would/should be easy, simply pointed out the reality of a situation. There were a lot of posters here who thought the sens were not a good matchup for this team and look how that series turned out.

Last I checked none of us is lacing up a pair of skates for this series so our concern/fear has no impact on it.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
Its the playoffs,hockey playoffs..every team is tough,under dogs play there hearts out,there are no easy series or games!!!!!!

This is particularly true after the first round. Some weaklings may sneak into the playoffs, but they are quickly sent home in the first round. Anyone who wins the first round is going to be very solid.

That said, there are still more and less favorable match-ups. I'm glad we are facing the Craps and not the Flyers.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
This is particularly true after the first round. Some weaklings may sneak into the playoffs, but they are quickly sent home in the first round. Anyone who wins the first round is going to be very solid.

That said, there are still more and less favorable match-ups. I'm glad we are facing the Craps and not the Flyers.
I can't be more satisfied with getting game 1. Was just an incredible win. Coming out in the 3rd after that late goal,.. I couldn't be more proud of our troops. The Garden was the 6th man on the ice. The Kreider chant almost made me cry. This kid is in line for 4 championships in 3 years. And if we win the Cup, there's no doubt he would be a huge reason why.

That said, we still have a ways to go. This series is far from over. I actually thought we would win game 1,... cause this team is better prepared coming out of a 7 game series than the Caps. And really the Caps didn't play bad. They hit 3 post in the 3rd. Everything went our way this game. With the kid scoring and the Garden erupting it was storybook.

Washington will be back. We need to keep the momentum of this great win.

Let's hope Philly beats the Debbies cause we own the Flyers. Playoffs, regular season it won't matter. They're overmatched against us.

Last edited by ohbaby: 04-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:09 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I can't be more satisfied with getting game 1. Was just an incredible win. Coming out in the 3rd after that late goal,.. I couldn't be more proud of our troops. The Garden was the 6th man on the ice. The Kreider chant almost made me cry. This kid is in line for 4 championships in 3 years. And if we win the Cup, there's no doubt he would be a huge reason why.

That said, we still have a ways to go. This series is far from over. I actually thought we would win game 1,... cause this team is better prepared coming out of a 7 game series than the Caps. And really the Caps didn't play bad. They hit 3 post in the 3rd. Everything went our way this game. With the kid scoring and the Garden erupting it was storybook.

Washington will be back. We need to keep the momentum of this great win.

Let's hope Philly beats the Debbies cause we own the Flyers. Playoffs, regular season it won't matter. They're overmatched against us.
What happened in the regular season doesn't matter.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
DaRags30

Ottawa scared me more because of their speed and anderson. The Caps aren't playing the same style they used to and it benefits the Rangers big time. I'm still keeping a level head here because the caps have some firepower but Ottawa worried me more.

DaRags30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
JCrusher*

nothing is easy in the playoffs. I was real impressed by Ottawa although i felt we gave 2 games away but they were still very scary. You can look at it a couple of way. Previous years the Caps had an explosive offense whihc really has given us trouble. Now they have stepped away from that which makes them tougher defensively but we seem to play better against taht style

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Caps looked exactly like I thought they would. They want to play a style similar to ours but they don't have the personnel. A team led by Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and Mike Green isn't suited to playing grinding, forechecking, low-scoring games the way we are.

Again, every game is going to be close, but I think we prevail in 5. We have better personnel for this type of game.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Caps looked exactly like I thought they would. They want to play a style similar to ours but they don't have the personnel. A team led by Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and Mike Green isn't suited to playing grinding, forechecking, low-scoring games the way we are.

Again, every game is going to be close, but I think we prevail in 5. We have better personnel for this type of game.
And imagine how it will be if/when Boyle and Dubinsky are back?

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Boyle - Feds/Prust
Rupp - Anisimov - Prust/Feds

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:03 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
What happened in the regular season doesn't matter.
Your just trying to tick me off, right? Philly hasn't beaten us in the last 7 or 8 games. Regular season or whatever they can't beat us. Even if they tighten up, and play a simpler game, playoff style hockey with less turnovers, it doesn't stop us from defending them. We just know how to defend against them. And that doesn't change,.... playoffs or not. Yeah sure they might win a game against us, but 4 out of 7? Hardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRags30 View Post
Ottawa scared me more because of their speed and anderson. The Caps aren't playing the same style they used to and it benefits the Rangers big time. I'm still keeping a level head here because the caps have some firepower but Ottawa worried me more.
Game 1 win gives us confidence and momentum. The Caps are on their heels and desperately need game 2 if they're to have any chance. This is why we need game 2, to keep them down and keep home ice. This was the mistake we made with Ottawa. We let them in the door losing game 2 and giving them confidence beating us on the road. We can ill afford to let the Cap(s back in and take us 7 games with snipers like Ovie and Semin. You give these guys confidence and forget about it. They have steamrolled us before.

Last edited by ohbaby: 04-28-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
JCrusher*

The Rangers cant step off the gas. I mean they did that in Ottawa and it cost us 2 games. I give Ottawa a ton of credit but we should have won that in 5. If we play the way we have the last 3 games there shouldn't be a problem in this series

Old
04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
The Rangers cant step off the gas. I mean they did that in Ottawa and it cost us 2 games. I give Ottawa a ton of credit but we should have won that in 5. If we play the way we have the last 3 games there shouldn't be a problem in this series
I agree. Props to Ottawa, they gave us a damn hard time. If we play balls to the wall as we know we're capable of then we take it on home ice in Game 5.

It's just pain.
Old
04-28-2012, 08:24 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
We could have won it in 4. Had the lead with 4 1/2 minutes left in game 2. Had a 2 goal lead in the 2nd in game 4. But have to give the sens credit for fighting back and nearly taking the series.

We can't let up. Take game 2 and at least 1 of 2 in washington. Then come home and win in game 5.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
I agree. Props to Ottawa, they gave us a damn hard time. If we play balls to the wall as we know we're capable of then we take it on home ice in Game 5.
Im not taking away anything from Ottawa they played very hard but when the Rangers only have trouble when they become complacent. But when they play as you said "balls to the wall" we are very good

Old
04-28-2012, 08:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Im not taking away anything from Ottawa they played very hard but when the Rangers only have trouble when they become complacent. But when they play as you said "balls to the wall" we are very good
Yep, and to clarify I mean if we play all out we take the Caps in 5. This series suits our personnel perfectly.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Yep, and to clarify I mean if we play all out we take the Caps in 5. This series suits our personnel perfectly.
Having a goalie like Hank makes us very tough because when we can get at least 3 goals we are hard to beat

Old
04-29-2012, 02:28 PM
ohbaby

Big game 2 Monday.

As hard as it was to get up for game 1,.... after a 7 game first round, (it helped WSH had to do the same) it will be even harder to get game 2.

If the Caps take game 2, this series can turn in a hurry,

We need to play with desperation Monday. Come out flying like game 1, and get the garden crowd going. WSH has no pressure to win this. So they will be very dangerous. We will need home ice against this team. Keep them down, returning home. Wondering how to beat Hank.

I think we all feel great winning game 1, but we need 4.

Dale Hunter has been very helpful in the careers of Girardi, Prust and MDZ, when he was coach of the London Knights. There's a good article on NHL.com.

He will have his team ready Monday. It will be a tough game for us.