HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hate to talk about Comrie today but...

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 08:13 AM
oildrop

vCash: 500
Hate to talk about Comrie today but...

I hate to mention Comrie on a day like today but their are more rumours out of L.A regarding Comrie. Here is what I found over at Spector's rumours...

THE LATEST ON MIKE COMRIE.

LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS: Matt McHale reported yesterday that Edmonton Oiler holdout Mike Comrie and LA Kings center Michael Cammalleri were teammates at the University of Michigan. Speculation persists the Kings may be trying to land Comrie, given the plethora of injuries to their key centers (Jason Allison, Josef Stumpel and Derek Armstrong). Cammalleri, who's name was mentioned as potential trade bait for Comrie, was recently recalled from the minors to fill in at center. McHale suggests the Kings may keep Cammalleri if they do pursue a deal for Comrie.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Word". McHale also reports the Thrashers are considered frontrunners, but if they're not going to part with their promising prospects it's unlikely they'll get Comrie. The Kings, on the other hand, might still have a chance as a player like Alexander Frolov or defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky might interest the Oilers.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Lowetide

No worries, oildrop, it's news.

The wheels are turning, and no doubt the deals must be getting pretty strong in terms of quality of offers (LA has been hit by their usual injury bug).

That Frolov fellow looks like the real deal, so if they've reached that level then Comrie is likely gone soon.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:30 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
No worries, oildrop, it's news.

The wheels are turning, and no doubt the deals must be getting pretty strong in terms of quality of offers (LA has been hit by their usual injury bug).

That Frolov fellow looks like the real deal, so if they've reached that level then Comrie is likely gone soon.
I would think that it would take more than Comrie to land Frolov. I'm sure a pick or prospect would even it out. From our standpoint though (as nice as Frolov is), what the heck do we do with ANOTHER LW??

Old
11-22-2003, 08:58 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
I would think that it would take more than Comrie to land Frolov. I'm sure a pick or prospect would even it out. From our standpoint though (as nice as Frolov is), what the heck do we do with ANOTHER LW??
I know, that's what I think too. But hey. Maybe Smyth stays at center. If that's the case then he rounds out a left side then. If Smyth is at center then we have:
Isbister
Frolov
Moreau
Torres
Chimera

If we get frolov (which I wouldn't mind at all) I'd like to see:

Smyth-Oates-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Isbister
Frolov-Stoll-Salmolainen

That doesn't look like a bunch of ice time, but MacT rolls his lines, and even strength the fourth line (if playing good, like all lines must with MacT) will get as much ice time as anybody. And while Reasoner is out, you could put Smyth in between Moreau and Isbister and Frolov on the top line and Chimera as fourth line LW. But then that also takes Pisani out of the lineup..... I don't want to see that (I know, have I changed my opinion). I dunno. Beats me. I think we'd have to give up another forward with Comrie and they could include a pick. Say:
Comrie, Horcoff, third
for
Frolov, second

But that stil doesn't help my lines as Horcoff wasn't even listed in the lines! Jesh... I dunno.... he'd create a HUGE log jam, but a welcome one IMO.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:03 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I know, that's what I think too. But hey. Maybe Smyth stays at center. If that's the case then he rounds out a left side then. If Smyth is at center then we have:
Isbister
Frolov
Moreau
Torres
Chimera

Smyth-Oates-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Isbister
Frolov-Stoll-Salmolainen

That doesn't look like a bunch of ice time, but MacT rolls his lines, and even strength the fourth line (if playing good, like all lines must with MacT) will get as much ice time as anybody. And while Reasoner is out, you could put Smyth in between Moreau and Isbister and Frolov on the top line and Chimera as fourth line LW. But then that also takes Pisani out of the lineup..... I don't want to see that (I know, have I changed my opinion). I dunno. Beats me. I think we'd have to give up another forward with Comrie and they could include a pick. Say:
Comrie, Horcoff, third
for
Frolov, second

But that stil doesn't help my lines as Horcoff wasn't even listed in the lines! Jesh... I dunno.... he'd create a HUGE log jam, but a welcome one IMO.
Not only does it create a major log jam now, but it creates an absolute nightmare later; two of our top prospects are LWs (Rita, Mikhnov). To top it off, Smyth really doesn't belong at C; I still think we need to make a Comrie+LW (Chimera or Rita or whatever) for a C and a D-man. This makes LA a bad trading partner (since they are already short on Cs).

Old
11-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Axis

I'm curious to see if Lowe is more interested in a d-man rather than a forward after signing Oates. According to the trade rumours board Gainey's trying to trade a defenseman to make room for Komisarek. If we could pry Sheldon Souray from the Habs for Comrie I would be happy. He's from Edmonton and he only makes 1.6 million. He would definitely bolster our blueline.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Isbister
Frolov
Moreau
Torres
Chimera

Smyth-Oates-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Isbister
Frolov-Stoll-Salmolainen

Comrie, Horcoff, third
for
Frolov, second

I actually think getting Frolov would be a good thing. It would allow us to make a deal with Ott who are weak at LW but strong at D. How about flip Frolov for Phillips.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I actually think getting Frolov would be a good thing. It would allow us to make a deal with Ott who are weak at LW but strong at D. How about flip Frolov for Phillips.
My thoughts are that it would be best to get a stud defenceman for Comrie. Our forward lines are looking the best in years, the draft is really starting to come through for us. There are three potential large scoring centers which maybe ready next year, and if not next year the year after.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:22 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Have Smyth practice his face-offs during the lock-out

Closed Thread