HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The negative crowd has to keep their mouths shut.

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 06:28 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

vCash: 500
The negative crowd has to keep their mouths shut.

Back in 1994 when the Rangers were on their way to winning their first Stanley Cup in 54 years, I was years 6 old. My dad, a lifelong Ranger fan, tried his hardest to get me into the games. Alas, I was 6 years old, and a 1st grader doesn't have the attention span for hockey. So... I missed out on one of the greatest playoff runs in NHL history.

Fast forward to 1997. I'm 10 years old. I play hockey. I love hockey. Messier and Gretzky back together. They go to the Eastern Conference Finals against the hated Philadelphia Flyers. I'm a New York fan in South Jersey as the entire area goes into Flyers frenzy. Mind you... I'm a 4th grader. I wear my Starter blank Ranger away jersey to school EVERY FREAKING DAY of the playoffs. I get nothing but abuse, and cry my first sports tears when the Flyers win it in 5.

9 years of obscurity, underachievement... and plain old bad hockey.

Fast forward to today. We are 1st in the East. Something I never thought we could have achieved. We went down 3 games to 2 against a team that plays us well.... and we came back. Washington scores a KILLER goal with 3 seconds left in the 2nd. WE respond with 2 goals in the 3rd and lockdown defense. Game one goes to the greatest city in the world... the city I'm moving to after I'm done school.

I've witnessed a vast majority of crap when it comes to my Rangers, and my Mets. Then 2012 comes along... and there's some hope. I rejoice with my fans.... and then every time there's ONE bad play, half the community craps all over the team that taken us through one of the greatest rides we've been through as Ranger fans.

Here's what I have to say.... GO THE F HOME!!!! This season and this ride has been incredible... and whether it's raising the Cup or falling short, I will be proud of what this team has accomplished and look forward to the bright future we have.

LGR

(and BTW... if i hear one more comment about their effort... YOU go get down in front of a 100 mph slapshot and tell me about commitment)

love this team... love this system... you should too

Old
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
blue425

+1

Based on my post history I think you know where I stand on the topic.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Let's Go Rangers!!!!!

Old
04-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Mkhizgilov

People over here are so bipolar thats the problem, especially the ones that never played hockey before, they think its easy to play a game without making mistakes....

That being said we have the greatest fans in the world

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

Old
04-28-2012, 09:39 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
I hear you man. Look no farther than "the confidence thread" to see how many we have of little faith on this board.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:40 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkhizgilov View Post
People over here are so bipolar thats the problem, especially the ones that never played hockey before, they think its easy to play a game without making mistakes....

That being said we have the greatest fans in the world

LETS GO RANGERS!!!
Dude.. it's not just these boards. It's every fan-based message board out there, whether it's soccer, college sports, football, or whatever. Every fan-based message board is absolutely bipolar. It comes with the territory for obsessive fans.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:42 PM
PMantis24
LGR!

I hear you man!

I'm also a Rangers and Mets fan. I was 16 in '94 so I remember it clear as day.

I just ignore what the negative nancys have to say.

Ever since Cally and Dubi came up i've been enjoying the resurgence of this team with homegrown talent. Even through the growing pains, it's been a joy to watch them all develop. Now watching Kreider... it doesn't get better than this for me. I'm going to enjoy the ride wherever it takes us.

Let's Go Rangers!!!

Old
04-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I agree with you on principle and pretty much on all accounts.

But as I said the other day, being a Rangers fan tends to come with having a jaded outlook on life, high blood pressure, an ounce of paranoia and fear of conspiracy, and the utmost skepticism. Part of suffering with these negative traits comes the sheer euphoria and thrill when the team succeeds. Every goal is a rush, every win feels like you won a small war, every playoff victory is like you conquered an enemy. You get the point.

As a Yankees fan, it's like you're entitled to success. You're intoxicated and drunk off of homeruns, wins, and world series titles. I love the Yankees, but I will be the first to say I'm a spoiled brat of a fan growing up in the 90s and early 2000s.

As a Rangers fan, we are all in this together. We all share the pain of a loss, the pain of a prospect gone south, the pain of an overpriced free-agent underperforming, the pain of an elimination, the pain of a bad call that costs us a game. We vent to each other, we rant to each other, we lean on each other, we bend but do not break.

I think that last part epitomizes our team this year, and it is a trait of our defense and goaltending especially that we have to be proud of. This year has been an absolute thrill, and has exceeded all expectations. I still might be jaded and sour at times, but holy crap has it been a treat.

LETS GO RANGERS!

Old
04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Back in 1994 when the Rangers were on their way to winning their first Stanley Cup in 54 years, I was years 6 old. My dad, a lifelong Ranger fan, tried his hardest to get me into the games. Alas, I was 6 years old, and a 1st grader doesn't have the attention span for hockey. So... I missed out on one of the greatest playoff runs in NHL history.

Fast forward to 1997. I'm 10 years old. I play hockey. I love hockey. Messier and Gretzky back together. They go to the Eastern Conference Finals against the hated Philadelphia Flyers. I'm a New York fan in South Jersey as the entire area goes into Flyers frenzy. Mind you... I'm a 4th grader. I wear my Starter blank Ranger away jersey to school EVERY FREAKING DAY of the playoffs. I get nothing but abuse, and cry my first sports tears when the Flyers win it in 5.

Fast forward to today. We are 1st in the East. Something I never thought we could have achieved. We went down 3 games to 2 against a team that plays us well.... and we came back. Washington scores a KILLER goal with 3 seconds left in the 2nd. WE respond with 2 goals in the 3rd and lockdown defense. Game one goes to the greatest city in the world... the city I'm moving to after I'm done school.

I've witnessed a vast majority of crap when it comes to my Rangers, and my Mets. Then 2012 comes along... and there's some hope. I rejoice with my fans.... and then every time there's ONE bad play, half the community craps all over the team that taken us through one of the greatest rides we've been through as Ranger fans.

Here's what I have to say.... GO THE F HOME!!!! This season and this ride has been incredible... and whether it's raising the Cup or falling short, I will be proud of what this team has accomplished and look forward to the bright future we have.

LGR

(and BTW... if i hear one more comment about their effort... YOU go get down in front of a 100 mph slapshot and tell me about commitment)

Thank you good sir! I came aboard during the dark ages. I've seen my fair share of pain. If one little thing goes wrong everyone turns on the team. To those that were here before... at least you had 94. What we have today is special though. Enjoy it. Don't live in fear. Those dark ages are over. A little optimism would be welcome for once.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post

LGR

Best post ever. My sentiments exactly. You get to NY, I wanna buy you a drink.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:36 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

what I dont get is when we fall behind 1-0 in the first and 50 percent jump ship..we suck,game over,same old Rangers...these people are a joke.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
what I dont get is when we fall behind 1-0 in the first and 50 percent jump ship..we suck,game over,same old Rangers...these people are a joke.
A lot of those comments are made in the heat of passion and aren't reflective of someone's true feelings. Just like when coaches get interviewed mid-game and are annoyed and say something stupid that lands them a fine (like Quenville [sp?]) for Chicago and when the media baits Torts after a bad loss.

It's the people who are always negative, even when we win or do well, who get under my skin.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

There was a poster who said we were getting swept when the score was 1-1...

Some people really need to get a grip.

We score, we're instant Cup Favorites.

We get scored on, we're a bunch of playoff chokers who are going to be embarrassed.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I agree with you...75% of HF is bipolar, and half the stuff said is ridiculous. If the rangers traded boyle and dubi like all this threads wanted, we wouldnt have beat the senators. LGR

Old
04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

we can agree to disagree...I have so much passion for the Rangers its scary...I would never make comments like 50 percent do here...I bleed Rangers and Giants blue...its not about heat of the moment,its about being a real fan and backing them through thick and thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hagelins Flow View Post
A lot of those comments are made in the heat of passion and aren't reflective of someone's true feelings. Just like when coaches get interviewed mid-game and are annoyed and say something stupid that lands them a fine (like Quenville [sp?]) for Chicago and when the media baits Torts after a bad loss.

It's the people who are always negative, even when we win or do well, who get under my skin.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 561
I was called illogical for saying that we would win Games 6 and 7 against Ottawa. Everyone is way too negative.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:05 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I think the game day thread is a joke. No offense to Loffen who great, but that thread is set up for posters like that, who blow in the breeze.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:07 PM
MDL8981

Where is that poster who always trashes Hank basically everytime he gives up a goal??

Old
04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

What pisses me off is when people mix up being critical with the people who say "game over" when its tied going into the third.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 561
The GDT is a gold mine for the madness.

One poster had bid farewell until the next season.

Another said we were getting swept.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Riverdale

Come on now, Seriously? Just because some people might be pessimistic when it comes to their Sports team doesn't mean they aren't a true fan, and that their opinion is immediately **** and they need to go home. Some people express what they are feeling differently, some are optimistic and some are pessimistic. So people who are pessimistic don't deserve to be (in this case) Ranger fans? Thats completely absurd, and almost more absurd than comments that are brought up in the GDT, a thread that goes on DURING the game. If you've never felt angry, frustrated, happy, watching a sports game then you aren't emotionally invested as some, simple as that.

I can get down on these team sometimes, but I also admit when I'm wrong. I don't feel i fit in either camp, but all this thread is accomplishing is criticizing people for having a different view point than your own. Not everyone who yells at this team during an important game is jumping ship and becoming Bruins fans or whatever. You might not like how they express themselves watching the game, but that doesn't mean they aren't worthy of havingin an opinion and that they need to go home.

Re-title this thread the "Criticizing other fans who don't think like I do thread".

I see where you are coming from, completely, but think about what you're REALLY saying here. At the end of the day we are ALL RANGER FANS.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Does not getting giddy over game #8 and not posting "inspirational" Ranger background stories constitute being negative?

Old
04-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Giacomin

I have been a Rangers fan since the early 70,s and remember the heartbreak of 19721974,1979 and 1992 and also experienced 1994. This team feels more like 1994. I remember them down 3-2 against NJ and feeling there is no way way they are losing. I also remember them being up 3-1 against Vancouver and getting embarrased in the next 2 games and saying no way this team will lose. I feel the same way with this team as I felt in 1994 but not with the other teams!

Old
04-28-2012, 11:42 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

More heroic self back-patting from the super fans, I'm shocked.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ive said it a few times, if this team lost in the first round, i'd still be exceptionally proud of what they accomplished this year. Its insane how much this team is overacheiving right now...in the sense that, they should be this good in 2 years...not right now. I think anyone whose following the trajectory of this team...how it's built, etc, would tell you, the Rangers will be hitting their peak in 2 years. When Kreider has had a few years under his belt, McDonagh has established himself as a #1, and youve got 3 first pairing caliber defenseman, etc, etc, etc.

Instead...the Rangers are well ahead of schedule. IMHO anything we do this year in the playoffs is just bonus. And right now, with how wide open the field is after Vancouver, Boston, AND the Pens were eliminated.....ANYTHING is possible :-O

With that said, I still stand behind my assertion that if the Caps were smart, they would open this series up. If they try to go toe-to-toe with the rangers trying to beat us at our own game, that's when they will lose. If they try to win every game 2-1, they will lose. If they try to win games 6-5 agianst us, they will slaughter us. They arent trying to play that game...which is, imho, a serious mistake.

Closed Thread