HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is Holtby a True Number 1 Goalie?!

Old
04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
NeilYoung

vCash: 500
Obviously Varly established himself a lot more than Holtby.

In my mind the Avs traded for the wrong goalie Holtby would have been cheaper for them and is just as good as Varly was at this point in his career. Personally I think he'll turn out better even

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
bonzaifan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
I agree with alot of people. I am not a one year wonder fan. Consistency is key and he is very young.

Could be a Kolzig, but then again could be Jim Carey. How quickly some of us forget.
I was never that thrilled with Carey...Especially after he showed no poise or ability to bounce back in that playoff series (Hence why Kolzig moved up). Holtby reminds me more of Olie because he has the mental stability. Yes he still makes rookie mistakes and yes I wouldn't put him Number 1 yet but I do believe he will be there in a season or 2.

bonzaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
bonzaifan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Kolzig did not get the starting job off that series. He was starting that series because Jim Carey put up the worst save % ever put up in a post season. Less than a year later we were trading Carey for Bill Ranford, and Kolzig could have gone in that trade just as easily as Carey did. Kolzig got the #1 job the following fall (of '97) when Bill Ranford went down hurt.
Actually I meant the starting job in that series...Not overall. Guess i didn't spell that out properly. I don't think Holtby is quite ready to be our starter yet either but give him a year or 2 splitting with Neuvirth or as Neuvy's backup and he will take the job

bonzaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Holtby's mental toughness and ability to bounce back far exceeded what I estimated it would be. Very impressed with that. He also played really well in most of the games, but he is extremely rough around the edges at this point. I'm still not completely sold on him as the franchise goalie for the foreseeable future, but he has definitely shown potential. I think he looked pretty shaky last night and could have easily cost the team the game if he'd been given the right opportunity to do so. It's a good thing he has this defensive system in front of him, honestly. For now.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskogien View Post
Keep Holtby and Neuvirth.

They would get less for Holtby than they did for Varly I would think.
Disagree. They'd get more for Holtby without the KHL threat looming.

That said, not a chance they trade him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:39 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Disagree. They'd get more for Holtby without the KHL threat looming.

That said, not a chance they trade him.
They might have better leverage than they did with Varly, but do you find another GM that would give up such supreme value as Sherman did (hypothetically, of course, since a trade should be totally out of the question)?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Yeah, I don't think they would get more for him, even with the playoff hype.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
They might have better leverage than they did with Varly, but do you find another GM that would give up such supreme value as Sherman did (hypothetically, of course, since a trade should be totally out of the question)?
Situationally, maybe you wouldn't find a GM as desperate. But lets pretend that you have Varly of last summer and Holtby of this summer both available at the same time, with the same circumstances surrounding them. There's no question who I think would yield the greater return from Colorado.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
amin723

I would think the Caps would be able to get Halak-like return for Holtby if they were to trade him...Maybe to Philadelphia for Courtourier

But I wouldn't trade him.

amin723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
capsfantaj
Rookie User

To me, he looks the part of a kid who could grow into a top 10 goalie in the NHL. However we, among all other teams have had the next hot tender. Anyone remember the mask? Where is old Jim these days? But he could get just hot enough to beat the Rangers.

capsfantaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Holtby has some qualities (that are obvious) that can't be taught. That being said there are naturally some technical elements to his game that can be improved with good goalie coaching and willing student. Noticed that he tends to leave the near post a little early or leaves a little to much room there. Tends to drop the glove a bit leaving opening there but again this and the previous can come by experience and coaching.

04-28-2012, 01:53 AM
Fitlanbox

I think Holtby clearly has more upside, but if you're talking about a goalie that thrives under a defense first system that limits quality scoring chances and blocks tons of shots, Neuvirth fits that mold better. I think its actually quite similar to the Nuevy/Varly situation. Holtby has more upside, but Neuvirth is much more likely to be a consistent NHLer/starter, even if he will never be great. He just kind of is what he is.

Fitlanbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:41 AM
McDunna with Fries

I've seen a couple of the Boston series games and I was really impressed with Holtby's hands. Very quick glove, couldn't believe some of the ones I saw.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 06:09 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwegand View Post
so after his showing in the playoffs so far we know Holtby is a solid netminder!

The real question is, is he a number 1 goalie now?

Is he our number 1 goalie, or is he trade bait?
Im not a Caps fan,but from what i seen he shouldnt be trade bait..the kid is out of no where leading your team,playing excellent hockey..that says alot..i dont see why he wouldnt be a staple in nets for u guys.Vokun gone and Holtby in,the kids going to be good.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:33 PM
McDunna with Fries

Def seems like his weakness is concentration in low-SOG games

Old
04-28-2012, 09:53 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Def seems like his weakness is concentration in low-SOG games
It's pretty common among goalies atleast

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
It's pretty common among goalies atleast
Agreed. Holtby's goal to Artie was just TERRIBLE. Happens though. He had no shot on the Kreider slapper and he should have stopped the Richie 5holer but that was really on the Caps D allowing Kreider to make that pass.

I was just confused because I remmeberd Holtby having an amazing glove in round 1 and that just seemed to disappear in game 1.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Situationally, maybe you wouldn't find a GM as desperate. But lets pretend that you have Varly of last summer and Holtby of this summer both available at the same time, with the same circumstances surrounding them. There's no question who I think would yield the greater return from Colorado.
They could also look at Holtby vs. Varlamov as Halak vs. Price. Halak got a good return but no question Price would have gotten more had they decided to move him instead. I like Holtby as much as anyone here but I would say Varlamov is more talented and has that thoroughbred pedigree, while not really being mentally weak himself. I think Sherman was trying to hit on a Price-like acquisition.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote