HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 05:12 PM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Jovo and Upshall are going nowhere. And you obviously have no idea where our cap situation is. To clear this for everyone:

Salary cap (could rise by a few million): $64,300,000
Roster size (players under contract for next season): 16 (well, 15 since Santo is gone)
Cap payroll: $40,644,500
Current bonuses: $2,300,000
Projected cap space: $23,655,500

Missing from the payroll are (and the projected numbers are over what they'll probably get):

- Versteeg (RFA $3,083,333, around 3.5-4 million)
- Kulikov (RFA, $1,325,000, depends if it's short or long term- let's say 3 million)
- Wolski (not tendered $3,800,000, gone or back for less than a million)
- Ellerby (RFA $787,500, 1.5 million MAX)
- Garrison (UFA $675,000, 4.5 million)
- Barch (UFA $837,500, if he's back- around a million or less)
- (a backup if Markie is still in the AHL)

[ ALREADY SIGNED BUT POSSIBLY PLAYING NEXT YEAR ]

- Markström $1,300,000
- Huberdeau $3,175,000

= $19,475,000 (With Wolski&Barch included)

-> Cap space left = $4,180,500 ($5,780,500 if Santo is gone)

AND KEEP IN MIND, ALL THE NUMBERS I PLACED FOR RFA's ARE INFLATED, MOST OF THEM PROBABLY END UP GETTING LESS.
Thanks for the thoughtful analysis.

I suspect that Garrison, and Wolski will not be resigned. Bradley and Santorelli will be traded or, more likely, waived. Tallon needs to clear space on the roster for prospects other than Huberdeau if he is to continue his youth movement. That means that Howden, Replik, Shore et al will be competing for an open spot or two.

Old
04-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Mavs3441

Quote:
CPU trades usually make no sense. Canes traded for DP's eternity contract the other day, and they still had Ward. Sense, these trades make none.

Oh, and Barch has 400 PIMs in 42 games on my Be a GM.
Yea, but I can dream. I have Hossa with Goc and Samuelsson

Old
04-28-2012, 05:34 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Bradley and Santorelli will be traded or, more likely, waived.
IMO this will happen, at least on Santo's part. If the rumours about CBJ buying out Mason are true, I wonder if they would be prepared to trade him for these two (or one) and then we could buy him out for 1/3.

2012-13: $233,333
2013-14: $533,333

It has happened before many times, most recent one I remember was when Oilers traded O'Sullivan (again, 1/3 buy out because of his age) to Yotes for Vandermeer a few years back and the Yotes bought O'Sullivan out while Vandermeer played out the final year of his contract in Edmonton.

Old
04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Slick Cat

My assessment going into next year: Great season, no need for major moves, just refining what we have, plus the addition of some young potential star players and another year together for the coaches and the core will show much improvement.

Goal:
Theo and Markstrom, plus sign one veteran goalie that would play in the minors and could be called up if needed. A consistent and healthy Markstrom all year will alone raise our team to another level.

defense:
Bring back everyone, and sign Garrison to a 4 or 5 year at 4-5 mill per year, Kulikov keeps improving, cant imagine why anyone would think of getting rid of him, Ellerby is a good depth guy and has talent but may be moved for flexibility to bring up Petrovic, loved Strachan as a backup as well.

Forwards:
Sign Versteeg, 4 years at 4 mill, sign Samuelsson no more than two years at 2-2.5 or let him go, let Sturm and Wolski go, get rid of Santorelli and Skille by trade, sign Barch and Madden, who will come cheap and only needs to play sparingly during the season but huge in the playoffs, and can serve as an extra coaching presence.

Bring up Huber and Howden

Centers: Weiss, Goc, Mattias, Smithson, Madden
Wingers: Versteeg, Flash, Sammy(?), Bergy, Upshall, Kopy, Barch, Howden, Huber, Bradley

Also, a captain needs to be named and Weiss seems obvious at this point, which means that they need to look at extending him since he is going into his last year of his contract and will be UFA next season. extend three or four more years at 4 mill per.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:41 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
My assessment going into next year: Great season, no need for major moves, just refining what we have, plus the addition of some young potential star players and another year together for the coaches and the core will show much improvement.
Disagree. We NEED scoring and we NEED it NOW!!!!!!! Huber is a piece but not the solution.

MUST GET SCORING this off season.

I'd be open for Tallon trading for Nail. Send this years first, next years, Marky or Kuli... Sorry but I'm not sold on Marky yet.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:45 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

What about bringing back Olli? Dude had 61 pts this year.

Parise had 69....

Old
04-28-2012, 08:46 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Also, a captain needs to be named and Weiss seems obvious at this point,
Disagree again. Campbell should be captain.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
Disagree. We NEED scoring and we NEED it NOW!!!!!!! Huber is a piece but not the solution.

MUST GET SCORING this off season.

I'd be open for Tallon trading for Nail. Send this years first, next years, Marky or Kuli... Sorry but I'm not sold on Marky yet.
Quote:
What about bringing back Olli? Dude had 61 pts this year.

Parise had 69....
I got all the respect in the world for you...

But I'm glad you aren't our GM or doesn't work for the Panthers.

Don't understand those guys crying for offense when we aren't sure if we'll keep our stud on D (Garrison) and want to trade our future on defense (either Kulikov or Markstrom) !!

I really don't get it guys... Be believers ! I'm not saying status-quo will give us a better year next year with the only addition of the kids... But it seems posters around here aren't aware of our strenghts and that they are in big jeopardy !

Garrison is a UFA, do we all know that ? Our strenght has to be our puck-moving and point-producing D ! No Garrison, no Kulikov and we aren't the same team... Even if you sign Ryan Suter which is highly unlikely... Even if we sign Parise or get all the offense in the world through trades... Do we all know that ?

Geez...

Old
04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:

I suspect that Garrison, and Wolski will not be resigned. Bradley and Santorelli will be traded or, more likely, waived. Tallon needs to clear space on the roster for prospects other than Huberdeau if he is to continue his youth movement. That means that Howden, Replik, Shore et al will be competing for an open spot or two.
Huberdeau, Markstrom and another rookie or two? Is it standard to have that many first full year NHL players on a team? I think they'll stop at Huby and Marky. Tallon isn't going to rush our prospects. It's been stated and demonstrated many times before.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I'm not at all worried about Tallon getting deals done with both Garry & Kuli. And as big as a trading chip Kuli is, I'd be surprised if Tallon trades him.

-ghoste

Old
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Huberdeau, Markstrom and another rookie or two? Is it standard to have that many first full year NHL players on a team? I think they'll stop at Huby and Marky. Tallon isn't going to rush our prospects. It's been stated and demonstrated many times before.
I agree. Guys like Howden, Shore, and Petrovic should start in the A next season.

-ghoste

Old
04-28-2012, 11:19 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I got all the respect in the world for you...

But I'm glad you aren't our GM or doesn't work for the Panthers.

Don't understand those guys crying for offense when we aren't sure if we'll keep our stud on D (Garrison) and want to trade our future on defense (either Kulikov or Markstrom) !!

I really don't get it guys... Be believers ! I'm not saying status-quo will give us a better year next year with the only addition of the kids... But it seems posters around here aren't aware of our strenghts and that they are in big jeopardy !

Garrison is a UFA, do we all know that ? Our strenght has to be our puck-moving and point-producing D ! No Garrison, no Kulikov and we aren't the same team... Even if you sign Ryan Suter which is highly unlikely... Even if we sign Parise or get all the offense in the world through trades... Do we all know that ?

Geez...
Cant there be the best of both worlds? Cant we keep our PMD's and go after big ticket offensive players? On top of prospects? What good is puck moving defensemen if they have no offensive weapons who can finish on scoring chances?

Not to play devils advocate but just some food for thought.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Tuco

Don't you guys ever get enough of the old Panther strategy: next year we'll bring in a few top prospects, and they'll lift us to another level?

If we think we are a better team now, we should start to slow down the youth movement. Bring up Hubey and Marky, provided that they prove themselves on camp. Otherwise, look for solutions in FA to upgrade some of the guys we have. It wasn't all nonsense when we were thought of as a team full of quality 3 rd liners.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
FrolikFan67

Goaltending:
Theodore
Markstrom
sign a cheap 3rd string for the ahl, not sure if we're comfortable enough with Foster being the 3rd string.

Forwards:
LW - our best position offensively. Fleischmann, Huberdeau, and Bergenheim as the top 3. would love to get rid of Kopecky's contract but i doubt we do, so he'll be somewhere on the 4th line (either wing) most likely.

Center - still on the search for a true "#1 center". best case scenario is that we do trade for one, if not a "#1" then hopefully a top-6 center. this past season weiss centered the first w/ flash and steeger on the wings. goc centered the 2nd w/ bergy and sammy (which was an awesome line, and i was very happy w/ goc's play, good on the faceoffs, plays D well, good on the pk, patient w/ the puck, really impressed me). the best thing to happen is to get a #1 center, weiss centering the 2nd, and goc on the 3rd. bjugstad could potentially play if he decides to sign, depends on whether we sign a center or not. if we stay the way we are, theres a chance we have weiss on the 1st, goc on the 2nd, and bjugstad could center that 3rd line, w/ matthias or smithson on the 4th (i think santorelli gets traded). but if we get a #1, top 6 or even top 9 center, i think bjugstad will end up playing a 3rd year at minnesota, or if he signs then he'll be playing w/ the rampage, but if he performs well at camp theres a chance, even if we do get another top 9 or top 6 center that he could slot into the 3rd line and goc on the 4th, but who knows. in other words, we got weiss and goc who i think both will stay, after that its anyones guess, we'd love to add a true #1 centerman, if not the doors potentially open for bjugstad.

Rw - this is probably our worst position as of now. we'll resign versteeg, thats a given, he didnt like getting moved around so much, likes it here, and says he wants to stay here for a while. then we have upshall, would like to move that contract too, but we'll probably be stuck w/ him, he'll slot into the 3rd line most likely. got Skille on the 4th. so we'd like to acquire a top 6 rw somehow. i wouldnt mind resigning samuelsson, thought he played great for us and wouldnt cost much. if we resign him, best case scenario is that we can then trade upshall (i dont know who'd take him), and then sign someone (david jones would be awesome if he tests the market, colorado will resign him most likely im sure)

Fleischmann-???-Versteeg (first line center would be awesome)
Huberdeau-Weiss-??? (samuelsson?)
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall
Kopecky-Matthias-Skille

if we cant get a #1 center (or a top 6) then weiss, then goc, then bjugstad/new player/matthias on the 3rd, 4th could be smithson or a new player.

D: We'll be building our backend around Campbell, Kulikov, and Gudbranson for a while. resign Kulikov (rfa) for hopefully 4+ years, anything under 4mil per imo would be amazing. Weaver just resigned and we wouldnt get anything in a trade, vet, amazing player for us, and cheap, def keep him. jovo, kinda stuck w/ him. garrison, we'll try to resign him, if we cant get anything done, well, thatd suck but what can we do if he makes that decision. got ellerby (rfa) as the current 7th D, then strachan. also got petrovic and robak coming up. if none of them then free agency i suppose.

this years lines were:
Campbell-Garrison
Kulikov-Weaver
Gudbranson-Jovanovski

Old
04-29-2012, 03:57 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Don't you guys ever get enough of the old Panther strategy: next year we'll bring in a few top prospects, and they'll lift us to another level?

If we think we are a better team now, we should start to slow down the youth movement. Bring up Hubey and Marky, provided that they prove themselves on camp. Otherwise, look for solutions in FA to upgrade some of the guys we have. It wasn't all nonsense when we were thought of as a team full of quality 3 rd liners.
Who's expecting more than Huber and Marks to make the team realistically?

Old
04-29-2012, 04:00 AM
nhlfan9191

I kinda hope Versteeg is gone TBH.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:03 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:

I will bet the skin off my arse that Garrison gets resigned. You don't put that much effort and development into a successful undrafted player just to let him walk away.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:05 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
This makes no sense. Sorry.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:12 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I wouldn't cry for sure if this happened. I'd drive him to the airport myself.

I'm gonna be furious if he gets a +5 million eternity contract with NMC/NTC.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:22 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
I wouldn't cry for sure if this happened. I'd drive him to the airport myself.

I'm gonna be furious if he gets a +5 million eternity contract with NMC/NTC.
Who is going to replace his offense?

Old
04-29-2012, 04:32 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Who is going to replace his offense?
Whomever we'd get in return for him. Hell, even Huber could put up those points playing 1st line minutes with Weiss&Flash without constantly giving the puck away in our own zone and losing it in the other end when trying to deke his way through 3 guys.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Gudbranson44

In regards to the offseason, Ondrej Roman has signed with his former czech team. Not that it makes a large impact on our future, but I thought it should be noted. I wouldnt be surprized if we dont even qualify him this summer tbh

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11103

Old
04-29-2012, 04:58 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Sure Kopecky is overpaid but he's killer to have on our 4th line, I love that guy. Should be kept around.

Guys I want gone: Santorelli (sucks), Sturm (old), Madden (old), Wolski (irrelevant), Clem (Mark's spot).

Wouldn't mind seeing Samuelsson back, he did good and would come cheap I believe.
Garry has to be brought back, period.
Jovo cannot be unloaded so I guess he sticks.

I think most of us will be wrong in our prediction, Tallon usually has something random/unexpected, and good, up his sleeve.

Last edited by billysbreakdown: 04-29-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old
04-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I got a feeling Joke might be back for that retirement contract.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:12 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I got a feeling Joke might be back for that retirement contract.

Closed Thread