HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any interest in Filppula?

Old
04-29-2012, 07:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
No offense to the OP, but, frankly, I hope this team does nothing except sign Justin Schultz as a free agent, and, perhaps, a 4th line center who can win faceoffs. I am fully content at this point to allow this franchise to continue organically building this team from within. No, they are not being built to entertain, but, rather, they are being built to contend for a long time. So, no, I have no interest in Filppula.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Ail
k.

Dubinsky is really the only player I want gone next season, Arty could go too, but I'm not as adamant about trading him since his cap-hit isn't as bad.

I would do a Dubi for Filppula swap. About it.

04-29-2012, 08:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No offense to the OP, but, frankly, I hope this team does nothing except sign Justin Schultz as a free agent, and, perhaps, a 4th line center who can win faceoffs. I am fully content at this point to allow this franchise to continue organically building this team from within. No, they are not being built to entertain, but, rather, they are being built to contend for a long time. So, no, I have no interest in Filppula.
This x100000000000000000000

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:18 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I like Valteri Filppula, but I 100% believe he is a product of the players he is playing with.

He's a decent player, but moving Dubinsky for him would be lateral AT BEST. We gain marginal offensive increase and lose a significant physical element to our team.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Wings fan here, definitely rooting for the Blueshirts to take the Cup w/ the Wings out of commission.

Question for the esteemed Rangers fans on this board- what interest would a guy like Valtteri Filppula create for the NYR? Really good 2-way game, can play C or LW, good PK, 28 yrs old, coming off his best offensive season. Full disclosure- he'll be a UFA after next year, cap hit for next season is only $3 million. I'm sure the Wings brass like this guy, but we have a LOT of forwards at his size and style of play either on the roster now, or on the way up, and he seems to be one of the best trading chips we have.

There are a LOT of guys on the Rangers that would really help the Wings retool for next year. Dubinsky would be a buy-low option for us, coming off his poor year this year (although I wished he was on the ice when Weber slammed Zetterberg's head into the glass in game 1 of the QF- we wouldn't have needed to wait for a half-assed "fight" from Bertuzzi in game 2 for an answer). Hagelin and Anisimov would be fantastic too.

Some posters on the Wings board were pitching Fil for Dub/AA + Hagelin/Erixon/MDZ, which I thought would be a terrible deal for the Rangers (think we'd have to add a big piece to Fil to make that happen). Anyway, curious what you guys think the Rangers would give up for Fil- feel free to make it multiple Wings/prospects/picks coming to NY if it makes sense.
Off topic but awesome avatar.

You take sugar?

No Turkish, I'm sweet enough

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I like Valteri Filppula, but I 100% believe he is a product of the players he is playing with.

He's a decent player, but moving Dubinsky for him would be lateral AT BEST. We gain marginal offensive increase and lose a significant physical element to our team.
I don't know about his linemates being 100% of the reason for his success, but I can't argue that anyone playing w/ Henrik Zetterberg for most of a season should see a jump in #'s. Flip brought the speed to a line w/ Z and Jiri Hudler, who simply can't skate. So I'd say he's a responsible 2-way player w/ good speed and nice playmaking skills- still doesn't shoot often enough, which is a common ailment for most of the Euro's imported to Detroit. The Wings could use Dubi's physical edge for sure- don't really have anyone right now who consistently takes the body and wears on the opponent's D.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't know if for Filppula but IMO Dubinsky (easily), Anisimov, and to a smaller extent Erixon are all in play. I just don't know if it's for Filppula. I believe Filppula would be our 2nd or 3rd leading scorer. However Detroit is a better offensive team, I don't know how much the players he played with played a role in his stats.
Quote:
Look at their respective stats, we'd probably have to add. Though maybe Filppula's UFA status will get him for only Anisimov.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Anisimov + a 2nd or something is a deal I'd be interested in. Don't think the Wings do it though.
Flip fits Detroit's system and is one of our few fast players, but Detroit really needs some grit. They don't have the talent required thru 4 lines to play successful puck possession and don't have the players w/ the mindset to play physical, dump and chase when the puck possession bogs down.
AA or Dubi would give us other dimensions, but I get it if the NYR aren't down w/ that trade. I'd love the Wings to put Franzen on the trade block, but I think that his contract through 2074 may dissuade otherwise interested teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGFaithful View Post
Kreider is off the table. Sorry bud.
Appreciate the breaking news on Krieder- after his playoff performance so far, I was wondering if the Rangers might want to sell high on the kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
Off topic but awesome avatar.

You take sugar?

No Turkish, I'm sweet enough
Fantastic movie, ridiculously quotable.

Why do the Wings need size? Because
Nobody brings a fella the size of you unless they're trying to say something without talking, right boy?

Old
04-29-2012, 05:07 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Filp would not be welcome here. His play doesnt suit our style.

I watched him numerous times during the nashville series, turn pucks over, play other players lightly. Not finishing hits, only to see that player create a scoring chance and twice, goals.

Probably the worst wings player in that series..

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:03 AM
thepoeticgoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
I'd do Filppula for Anisimov/Dubinsky+ in a heartbeat. I love his game.
Me too.. But I always get stomach ache whenever I consider trading one of our Blueshirts from this year. Even Dubi. But, in all seriousness, I'd probably do this trade.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:09 AM
pld459666

As stated, I like Filppula, but we have him here already, his name is Anisimov.

Filppula had a nice season being played with Zetts and Jiri, but has been less than a 40pt. player for the previous 5 years.

A good season and my STHS hockey team will benefir from that next year, but he's no upgrade to Arty or Dubinsky and it would make no sense to trade either guy PLUS something else to get him.

One season doesn't make the player, be that season a good one (Filppula) or a bad one (Dubinsky)

Old
04-30-2012, 08:29 AM
NYR Viper

Filpulla has more creativity in his right foot than Dubinsky has in his entire body.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a grinder. Keep Dubi. If you want someone with some skill and creativity who may help the PP, Filpulla.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:17 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No interest in Filpulla whatsoever. We could benefit from some moves, but Filpulla isn't one of them. We are fine at 2nd and 3rd line center.

Please, by all means trade Dubinsky. But why for Filpulla?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
No interest in Filpulla whatsoever. We could benefit from some moves, but Filpulla isn't one of them. We are fine at 2nd and 3rd line center.

Please, by all means trade Dubinsky. But why for Filpulla?
FWIW, he's better on the wing, where he's been this whole season. Definitely put up more points and goals, which was probably a combo of not having the responsibilities at C and his confidence finally going up (which was about freaking time, as he's been in the league full time for 5 seasons now). I would imagine if the Wings were shopping him, they'd emphasize his versatility to play C and LW to other teams, but obviously the Rangers don't need a C.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Filpulla has more creativity in his right foot than Dubinsky has in his entire body.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a grinder. Keep Dubi. If you want someone with some skill and creativity who may help the PP, Filpulla.
And yet, playing for the Wings, he's managed to post 40 points or better one time in the last 5 years prior to this year?

I like Filppula, but he's no better than Dubinsky on an overall basis.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
And yet, playing for the Wings, he's managed to post 40 points or better one time in the last 5 years prior to this year?

I like Filppula, but he's no better than Dubinsky on an overall basis.
All I was saying is that they are totally different types of players. Apple and Orange.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
FWIW, he's better on the wing, where he's been this whole season. Definitely put up more points and goals, which was probably a combo of not having the responsibilities at C and his confidence finally going up (which was about freaking time, as he's been in the league full time for 5 seasons now). I would imagine if the Wings were shopping him, they'd emphasize his versatility to play C and LW to other teams, but obviously the Rangers don't need a C.
Better on the wing when playing with ___ as his center.

Fill in the blank. It's going to look a lot different if he's on the Wings than if he's a Ranger.

And we do need, a LW, but we need a power forward, not a soft, turnover prone player like Flip.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
All I was saying is that they are totally different types of players. Apple and Orange.
agreed

Old
04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
satrabyk

I wouldint give anything. Ive seen Fillpula play hes alright, has skill but often coasts to often and doesent get involved physically enough. Hes not Torts type of player and would not fit here.

Giving up Dubi/AA plus hagelin laughable, i wouldint trade Hagelin for Fillpula in a million years, and any person watching Rangers play shouldint want to either.

BTW i dont care about Dubi poor season i take him over Fillpula any day.

Id consider Franzen for Dubi/AA and a 2nd thats all.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:32 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Look at their respective stats, we'd probably have to add. Though maybe Filppula's UFA status will get him for only Anisimov.
Its not abou Stats alone. Filpulla is playing on a highly offensive Det team and got a top 6 spot playing with a great creative center he wont really have here. Anisimov does more out there and his size is something we would really miss if he was gone. Hes the only forward with size and skill and is a center. This is valuable in this league. I would not want to move him unless its for a top 3 offesnive forward.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

The key would be the present and future cap flexibility you get from the swap. Saves $1.2M next year and Filppula hits UFA when McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider and Hagelin are up for renewals.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
bernmeister

We probably want to keep most of our own guys, so top offer would probably be a 2nd + a prospect, and that's a medium prospect, not a super blue chipper.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The key would be the present and future cap flexibility you get from the swap. Saves $1.2M next year and Filppula hits UFA when McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider and Hagelin are up for renewals.
I can see the benefit, and it's STILL not worth it.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Contrary to popular belief, Dubinsky does have some value on the market. He's a hard-working player that can easily score 25-30 goals a year. He just had an off year. That's all.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Dubinsky does have some value on the market. He's a hard-working player that can easily score 25-30 goals a year. He just had an off year. That's all.
Easily score 25-30 goals? I believe he's broken 50 points once, and has one season with 24 goals. The question is whether this year or last year is the aberration. I think he's settling into being a gritty, 2-way, 45-50 point guy. Which is fine - I think your'e setting yourself up for failure if you think he's going to be touching 30 goals.

I like him, but his salary cap hit could see him on his way out in a year or two - especially if he can't capture his old play.

As for Flipulla, thanks, but no thanks. He's a nice player, but I don't see where he fits - especially when he'll be a UFA in another year.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote