HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need player preferences on griptac vs regular

Old
04-29-2012, 03:39 AM
WolfonIce
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Need player preferences on griptac vs regular

Hey so Im gonna buy the bauer apx, im not sure if i should buy the griptac or just the regular, i can get the griptac apx for 100 dollars cheaper. i felt the stick in store and didnt find it too bad, but dont know what griptac would be like with gloves, anyone know? i wanna know if anyone uses griptac, what do you think of it and if youve tried it before but didnt like it, thank you

WolfonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
wahsnairb

$100 cheaper is your answer.. especially if you felt it already

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
$100 cheaper is your answer.. especially if you felt it already
Yup. Not sure why you need anything more than that. Grip is pretty popular on sticks, it won't kill you.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
hockeymass

I prefer sticks without grip coating, but if it were 100 bucks cheaper for the grip version I could easily live with it.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

$100 off is a no-brainer.

If you really dislike the grip, I suppose you could sand it off or wrap it with clear tape? Better consult someone who has done this before.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Stickmata

Love the grip. Wouldn't buy one without it at this point.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
i agree with the others that the "$100 cheaper" should pretty much be your answer right there. if it turns out you really dislike the grip, it's nothing that a thin layer of spray clearcoat won't solve.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
AIREAYE

I think he means $10 lol, some sticks in grip are $5-$10 pricier than their clear coat counterparts.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I think he means $10 lol, some sticks in grip are $5-$10 pricier than their clear coat counterparts.
me too...if its $100 is a no brainer and i HATE grip sticks....if its $10 i go clear...but again i HATE grip (unless its my velvet AK27 grip) but that is all PERSONAL preferance

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me non-grip is completely unusable so Griptac all the way. Wouldn't buy a non-grip APX even for $100.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
right, and he said he can get the grip for cheaper so that's why I figured it wasn't a typo.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:55 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i honestly don't understand how grips can affect our game... my x40 was grip version, my apx is non-grip, my mako is gripped, my totalone has griptac.

No difference for me whatsoever... except the constant worrying of griptac damaging my glove palms..

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:01 AM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
i honestly don't understand how grips can affect our game... my x40 was grip version, my apx is non-grip, my mako is gripped, my totalone has griptac.

No difference for me whatsoever... except the constant worrying of griptac damaging my glove palms..
for me its more of the "feel" when im stickhandling...i feel like it sticks/catches when i am trying to slide my hand down...it isnt that i cant play, or that it effects my play that much but it is one of those things that just bugs me on the ice

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:15 AM
WolfonIce
Rookie User

sweet thanks guys i appreciate all the help, ya it was $100 difference aireye, crazy huh
thats why im gettin it, its the p106 curve, i use p88 but i did the research i can probally get used to p106 seeing how i use a curve similar to that on my street hockey stick and backyard stick for pucks on the net/shooting tiles. Just makes it easy to raise the puck even with slappers which i like doing and struggle raising off the ground. Now im in another jiffy where i broke my damn skate blade on reebok xt pumps i got this past december in a size 9. Im going to canadian tire to see if i can get it returned cause i out of 5 canadian tires in british columbia, i only managed to find one pair of size 9s... So i might invest in bauer apx skates if i can find a cheap pair on ebay, used or not.

WolfonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:42 AM
nullterm

Once you go grip....

Since I got a 6K grip a while back, I became a believer. I started wrapping tape in a spiral down the shaft Duncan Keith style on my non-grip sticks to try get the same feel. It's okay, but nothing beats the real deal.

http://www.jtbourne.com/wp-content/u...ncan-keith.jpg

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:51 AM
hockeymass

Quote:

I guess if you never move your hands you wouldn't notice it... if you do I'm not sure how you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

I use gloves with clarino palms which aren't very grippy. I don't want my hands sliding up and down the stick when I'm trying to shoot and stickhandle. Grip sticks keep my hands in place until I want to move them. Non-grip means when I take a hard shot my bottom hand can move a bit and it goes off target.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:33 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfonIce View Post
sweet thanks guys i appreciate all the help, ya it was $100 difference aireye, crazy huh
thats why im gettin it, its the p106 curve, i use p88 but i did the research i can probally get used to p106 seeing how i use a curve similar to that on my street hockey stick and backyard stick for pucks on the net/shooting tiles. Just makes it easy to raise the puck even with slappers which i like doing and struggle raising off the ground. Now im in another jiffy where i broke my damn skate blade on reebok xt pumps i got this past december in a size 9. Im going to canadian tire to see if i can get it returned cause i out of 5 canadian tires in british columbia, i only managed to find one pair of size 9s... So i might invest in bauer apx skates if i can find a cheap pair on ebay, used or not.
If it's $100 then I hope common sense comes through. There are more important things to spend $$ on than hockey gear haha.

If your steel broke, then it is still covered under the 1 year warranty. I'm not sure what CT will do since they do not have replacement steel to cover the warranty claim with. See what they say.

You're coming from Reeboks you say? Why would you consider APXs? They fit on opposite ends of the spectrum. You're also in BC, head to your local store, I'm sure there are plenty of excellent ones around where you can actually try on skates, which is key.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I cannot use a stick without grip, even for ball hockey. If it does not have grip then I have to candy cane it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I use gloves with clarino palms which aren't very grippy. I don't want my hands sliding up and down the stick when I'm trying to shoot and stickhandle. Grip sticks keep my hands in place until I want to move them. Non-grip means when I take a hard shot my bottom hand can move a bit and it goes off target.
Ah, the palms. I guess that makes sense.. my glove palms are thicker and somewhat a bit stickier.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have the opposite problem. When i've used grip sticks (both Dolomite and x:60), my bottom hand essentially sticks to the shaft with no freedom. Whenever i'm making a move close to my body and i want my bottom hand to move freely up or down the shaft this becomes a serious problem. It drives me nuts.

As a result i'm much more comfortable with non-grip sticks. I do like some grip on my shaft however, so i put about 4-6 strips of tape about 6-8 inches apart down the shaft. This gives me different gripping points, but allows my bottom hand to smoothly ride up or down to the next piece of tape.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When I had some old Vector Pros they had little rubber grippy things on the palm and I had to use scotchbrite pads to knock down the grip so my hand would move, otherwise it was locked.

It's a lot easier to smooth out grip than it is to add grip in my experience.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
r3cc0s

I too now own 2 pairs of pro-stock gloves that have no overlay and are pure clarino and I can say that they are slippery when dry

sometimes I will wet the palms with water if I'm not sweating enough in them, which gives them a beautiful transparent feel, but when they are dry, they are slippery

my favorite palm is the digital overlay (perferated leather) and clarino in my TPS R8, Sherwood 9950 and my Z-Air

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote