HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Rangers ECSF Game 1

View Poll Results: Who are the top 3 stars of the game?
Chris Kreider 187 96.39%
Derek Stepan 10 5.15%
Ryan Callahan 9 4.64%
Brad Richards 87 44.85%
Marian Gaborik 2 1.03%
Artem Anisimov 20 10.31%
Carl Hagelin 1 0.52%
Ruslan Fedotenko 92 47.42%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Mike Rupp 0 0%
John Mitchell 1 0.52%
Ryan McDonagh 59 30.41%
Dan Girardi 4 2.06%
Marc Staal 1 0.52%
Michael Del Zotto 1 0.52%
Stu Bickel 1 0.52%
Steve Eminger 1 0.52%
Anton Stralman 3 1.55%
Henrik Lundqvist 71 36.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Are we reading into this too much? Or what can it mean?
im guessing mind games

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Tell me if y'all agree with this or not. Winning yesterday was such an important win and I think it's been understated actually. Our winning puts a ton of pressure on Caps to win on Monday. I truly believe if we win Game 2, this is going to be a short series much to the shock and chagrin of all the many haters out there. We've been an awesome road team this year and have gone into hostile territory numeours times when even we as a fanbase had some doubts if the boys could pull it out and we came out on top majority of the times.

I have no doubt that we'll snag one of the two in D.C hence why tomorrow is crucial. We win tomorrow, I think this series goes 5(not delusional enough to think we can sweep). We lose, I think we are looking at very likely a 7 gamer. With their goaltending in flux and Holtby, I don't care how mentally tough he's supposed to be, he has to be questioning himself for giving up 3 softies. The coaching staff is going to have a short leash for him too as you have to believe we'll be seeing Neuverth if even one more softie gets by Holtby. Not saying we won't win series if we don't win but tomorrow due to our winning yesterday, IMO is easily THE most important game of the series and we can do ourselves a huge favor if we truly are going to make a long playoff run. Caps will be much better for certain. We just need to weather the storm and I truly believe we can eek another one out based on our huge goaltending advantage.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Just a quick question. I know there is no salary cap, but there is also no limit to number of players recalled during the playoffs, right?

nyrpassion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
Watching that Chris Kreider goal over and over still gives me goosebumps. Amazing how the announcers and the crowd explodes. This kid is going to be a stud.

LotsOfHags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
What's that scene from mighty ducks again? Just got flashbacks lol
Every time the other team hits the post, I always remember Emilio Estevez saying to that kid "It was an inch away from going in" and the kid responding "yeah but it was an inch away from missing the net entirely". Of course when we hit the post I'm pissed.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Every time the other team hits the post, I always remember Emilio Estevez saying to that kid "It was an inch away from going in" and the kid responding "yeah but it was an inch away from missing the net entirely". Of course when we hit the post I'm pissed.
I haven't read the entire thread yet but I was thinking yesterday after listening to the NBC non-Ranger homers and that moron, Barry Melrose talking about how many posts the Caps hit, I think they all got it wrong. It seems like they are saying, "The post won the game for the Rangers". I tend to disagree and after watching the post game what everyone failed to mention is probably 4 or 5 of those 6-7 posts they hit were deflected off of Lundqvist's saves. If they deflected off of him they count as shots on goal and posts do not. Anyone else notice this? I think the homers are getting too excited about hearing the puck hit the post and misinterpreting it. Agreed?

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
No way should Henrik be one of the stars of the game. He was more lucky than good. Don't just vote for Lundqvist just because he's good in so many other games. He gave up 5 goals, but was lucky enough that 4 of them hit the post. That was more posts than I've seen in years. Lundqvist was very, very lucky today. If he wasn't so lucky, he could've even been pulled after 3-4 goals.

Most of the team was better than him today.
Again, most of those posts were actually saves if you watch the replay. At least half of them were...and NYR hit as many posts. I'm sick of hearing the post argument. The caps didn't hit the posts in those cases, Hank did.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
I haven't read the entire thread yet but I was thinking yesterday after listening to the NBC non-Ranger homers and that moron, Barry Melrose talking about how many posts the Caps hit, I think they all got it wrong. It seems like they are saying, "The post won the game for the Rangers". I tend to disagree and after watching the post game what everyone failed to mention is probably 4 or 5 of those 6-7 posts they hit were deflected off of Lundqvist's saves. If they deflected off of him they count as shots on goal and posts do not. Anyone else notice this? I think the homers are getting too excited about hearing the puck hit the post and misinterpreting it. Agreed?
I think they hit 4 posts and at least 2 of those were Lundqvist saves. We hit 1 post. 2 legit posts-1 legit post. 1 goal difference. We won by 2. **** the haters.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
I think they hit 4 posts and at least 2 of those were Lundqvist saves. We hit 1 post. 2 legit posts-1 legit post. 1 goal difference. We won by 2. **** the haters.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Vitto79

so I keep hearing Caps fans are cocky in this series.......errr why? Its the 1st seed vs the 7th.........Rangers have been way more consistent all yr............oh yea and the revenge factor from the past two eliminations. I just dont see the Rangers blowing this one. The eek out close games all the time

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
You don't even need to talk about this stuff. We won the game. Posts aren't goals. They lost and they're trying to rationalize it.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:40 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so I keep hearing Caps fans are cocky in this series.......errr why? Its the 1st seed vs the 7th.........Rangers have been way more consistent all yr............oh yea and the revenge factor from the past two eliminations. I just dont see the Rangers blowing this one. The eek out close games all the time
I'm guessing 3 reasons. They beat the #2 seed defending champs who played AWFUL (but they don't look at that). We barely beat the #8 seed who played great (of course they don't look at that either). #3, their playoff history against us. But let's take a look at those 2 series, shall we? We have 9 players from that 09 team left. Completely different team. We have at least 5 new players on this team from last year. All are major contributors. 1) Richards 2) Callahan 3) Del Zotto 4) Hagelin 5) Kreider. McDonagh is light years better than last year. So is Girardi. Staal is getting closer to what he was last year. Hank also is having his best season.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
JCrusher*

Im surprised how much praise the Caps are getting. They are picking the Caps to win and say that Holtby let "soft goals" go by him Yes they did beat the Bruins but the Bruins really didnt play well. also Holtby they act like he is the best goaltender in the league now. He did have a nice series agianst Boston but one series doesn't make you a dominant goaltender. I wasn't really impressed by him yesterday considering we didnt have our best offensie game and still put up 3 goals

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Yeah I saw Barry's analysis. I don't know what he was smoking. The Rangers dominated on the forecheck that game, dominated possession. Caps had a couple chances but no real sustained pressure.

I think Barry is picking the Caps because he saw how much the Rangers struggled with Ottawa. Thinking that if they struggled so much against the 8th seed they will struggle so much against the 7th.

I did agree with him that Holtby needs to be better but I think the Rangers are going to be even more relentless down low.

The biggest issue the Rangers had against Ottawa was mobile Dmen who could skate end to end or transition the puck quickly. There is pretty much no one on Caps D that does that(Green isn't that type of skater). On top of that they don't play a quick transition style. The Caps are going to get chances off Rangers mistakes. Rangers minimize their mistakes, Caps won't have much to work with.

I am not saying the Caps can't win the series, but they will have to be FAR more physical if they want a chance. Hunter's passive strategy works well against other teams who don't want to commit to the physical play. But the ones who are relentless with their forecheck will expose it.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

When does game 2 start on monday in Norwegian time?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
When does game 2 start on monday in Norwegian time?
1:30 in the morning (Tuesday for you). Good luck my friend!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah I saw Barry's analysis. I don't know what he was smoking. The Rangers dominated on the forecheck that game, dominated possession. Caps had a couple chances but no real sustained pressure.

I think Barry is picking the Caps because he saw how much the Rangers struggled with Ottawa. Thinking that if they struggled so much against the 8th seed they will struggle so much against the 7th.

I did agree with him that Holtby needs to be better but I think the Rangers are going to be even more relentless down low.

The biggest issue the Rangers had against Ottawa was mobile Dmen who could skate end to end or transition the puck quickly. There is pretty much no one on Caps D that does that(Green isn't that type of skater). On top of that they don't play a quick transition style. The Caps are going to get chances off Rangers mistakes. Rangers minimize their mistakes, Caps won't have much to work with.

I am not saying the Caps can't win the series, but they will have to be FAR more physical if they want a chance. Hunter's passive strategy works well against other teams who don't want to commit to the physical play. But the ones who are relentless with their forecheck will expose it.
I agree Karlsson is a stud defensive player who broke up a lot of our plays in that series. the Caps dont have anybody near his level even if they play a defensive style

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I'm guessing 3 reasons. They beat the #2 seed defending champs who played AWFUL (but they don't look at that). We barely beat the #8 seed who played great (of course they don't look at that either). #3, their playoff history against us. But let's take a look at those 2 series, shall we? We have 9 players from that 09 team left. Completely different team. We have at least 5 new players on this team from last year. All are major contributors. 1) Richards 2) Callahan 3) Del Zotto 4) Hagelin 5) Kreider. McDonagh is light years better than last year. So is Girardi. Staal is getting closer to what he was last year. Hank also is having his best season.
Forgot Stralman. That's a 3rd of the roster and that's not even counting improvement in the game of several players.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
Im surprised how much praise the Caps are getting. They are picking the Caps to win and say that Holtby let "soft goals" go by him Yes they did beat the Bruins but the Bruins really didnt play well. also Holtby they act like he is the best goaltender in the league now. He did have a nice series agianst Boston but one series doesn't make you a dominant goaltender. I wasn't really impressed by him yesterday considering we didnt have our best offensie game and still put up 3 goals
Boston fan here. Rooting for NY with all the Boston connections.

Boston had a top 4 upfront by the time g6 arrived. NY has a complete top 6 and will consistently expose Wideman, Hamrlik, Schultz/Erskine. Why do you think Hunter has played an ultra to the max conservative style. He knows he needs all of his forwards to cover for that bunch of garbage on the Caps D. Caps also got almost 100% of the puck luck in the Boston series.

This series is going 6 at the most and IMO should go 5.

Caps D outside of Carlson (stud), Alzner and Green is total trash. Those last three
are Bickelesque (sorry Ranger fans).

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
I agree Karlsson is a stud defensive player who broke up a lot of our plays in that series. the Caps dont have anybody near his level even if they play a defensive style
I thought Karlsson was mediocre away from the puck in that series. Its when he had the puck is when he caused problems-especially on the transition.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:00 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
I thought Karlsson was mediocre away from the puck in that series. Its when he had the puck is when he caused problems-especially on the transition.
John Carlson is a better dman than Ryan McDonagh. Not knocking RM, but Carlson is a little more fluid skater, little stronger on his skates and a bit better passer.

I also know you are talking about Ottawa's dman.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:03 PM
JHaggis

1.Kreider
2.Lundqvist
3.Fedotenko

JHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Squarp
Ranger for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
John Carlson is a better dman than Ryan McDonagh. Not knocking RM, but Carlson is a little more fluid skater, little stronger on his skates and a bit better passer.

I also know you are talking about Ottawa's dman.
Not sure if serious

Squarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Greg02

Quote:
There were certain plays that I thought Karlsson was able to make purely by his speed. In situations like that, he made defensive plays not many others could. But yeah, his away-from-the-puck game has plenty of room for improvement and was occasionally exploited by the Rangers.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:21 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaitingIsOverCK View Post
Not sure if serious
Why the emoticon? Ive watched both of these guys for several years and what I said is completley accurate. Its not a knock on RM. JC was by far the best dman on Washington in the Boston series and considering he didn't have Chara as his d partner
the best dman in the Boston series as Seidenberg was terrific also.

I think your opinion is somewhat tainted by your allegiance. like I said Im not a Ranger fan. The TO RM made while Olczyk/McGuire were ball washing him was hilarious. That was the worst to of the game and RM made it.