HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 7 | 4-26-2012 | Devils @ Panthers | 8:30 PM EDT | TV: NHL-N, TSN, FS FLA

Old
04-28-2012, 06:17 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

vCash: 500
Stumbled over this clip from game 7, gotta love Cliff Viners passion Around 24 second mark..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Just got around to watching Game 7 today, and for the first time in supporting the Panthers, im genuinely disappointed. Up until this point, i genuinely haven't been too disappointed when we lose, because it's become such a standard concept.

The achievements accomplished this year are a major positive for the franchise, and we gave everything we had in this Series, but man does it suck. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as someone who gets particularly emotionally invested in sport (I love sport, but if my team loses, so be it), but that was pretty cruel.

I thought some players were excellent in the third and beyond. Versteeg was exceptional. Other forwards who were very good were Weiss, Goc, Bergenheim and Madden. Madden is about as useless a player as you'll find for the majority of a season, but these types of games, his value is immeasurable.

On the other hand, Jovo needs to go. I just don't trust him at all. I didn't really trust Gudbranson either late in the game, but that is somewhat different. I didn't enjoy Kulikov either, but thats largely because he doesn't play a simple game.

Going Forward, i hope we begin to reap the rewards of a deep prospect system soon. For all this years addition of players has been a success, we do need more talent going forward. I don't really want to watch players like Matthias for very much longer.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Stumbled over this clip from game 7, gotta love Cliff Viners passion Around 24 second mark..

Nice video! Thx for sharing!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Just got around to watching Game 7 today, and for the first time in supporting the Panthers, im genuinely disappointed. Up until this point, i genuinely haven't been too disappointed when we lose, because it's become such a standard concept.

The achievements accomplished this year are a major positive for the franchise, and we gave everything we had in this Series, but man does it suck. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as someone who gets particularly emotionally invested in sport (I love sport, but if my team loses, so be it), but that was pretty cruel.

I thought some players were excellent in the third and beyond. Versteeg was exceptional. Other forwards who were very good were Weiss, Goc, Bergenheim and Madden. Madden is about as useless a player as you'll find for the majority of a season, but these types of games, his value is immeasurable.

On the other hand, Jovo needs to go. I just don't trust him at all. I didn't really trust Gudbranson either late in the game, but that is somewhat different. I didn't enjoy Kulikov either, but thats largely because he doesn't play a simple game.

Going Forward, i hope we begin to reap the rewards of a deep prospect system soon. For all this years addition of players has been a success, we do need more talent going forward. I don't really want to watch players like Matthias for very much longer.
Hopefully cooler heads have now prevailed. All this talk of trading Kulikov and not trusting Gubbranson and tired of Matthias. What I saw is a few young guys playing their first NHL playoff games with a ton of passion. That Kopecky, Fleishman, Matthias line in the third period of game 7 was great. Too bad it took Dineen so long to realize he could have had three good lines rolling instead of one good line just by putting Kopecky and Fleishman with Matthias. Fleishman on the first line and Kopecky on the fourth line wasn't working long before the third period of game 7.

Young guys hit walls at times but the experience they have gained this year is unbelievable. Defense and center are the hardest positions to learn. These 3 guys I believe are Panther core guys that will win the community a Stanley Cup before they're done in south Florida.

Last edited by hockey dude: 04-28-2012 at 10:43 AM.
hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:

Gotta disagree on three guys. Jovo was solid througout the seven games, very physical reminding me of the young Jovo, and his leadership was evident on the ice and believe me off the ice as well. He is a very important part of this team. Guds is a star in the making and played very well, moreso when he had more important minutes as Garrison was out. Any dman over the course of the season or a playoff series will have breakdowns but they were both consistent and solid. Even Campbell, who most panthers fans think is the second coming of Bobby Orr, was beaten defensively and made some questionable decisions for him. For example, the second goal in game seven he was outhustled and outmuscled by a four foot tall gionta on a goal that was all him. He was probably tired from playing so many minutes, but as good as he is and he has been great for us, he has also had his moments. And Mattias is very young and as a big strong skater he is an ideal third or fourth line center, he will not be a scoring line center people want him to be but he is so strong on the puck and does a lot of the little things, such as his board play leading to the second goal in game five.

Last edited by Slick Cat: 04-28-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typos
Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

Finally have a chance to sit down and type up my thoughts...

The Game

Wow, I was p***** after two periods. I was embarassed and terrified we'd go down 5-0 in that game. That waved off goal in the third changed the entire game and finally got them playing THEIR game. Once they did that, it was all Florida. I couldn't believe the pressure we finally started putting on them.

I thought Theo did a great job keeping us in the game, and I don't blame him for the OT goal at all. Just one of those weird fluke goals, to me.

So happy that Garrison came back, he means the world to our PP and I hope we resign him.

As much as Jovo drives me nuts, I love his physical play and his ability to knock guys off the puck. Guds is a beast. Period. Overall, I was very happy with our D in that game.

Weiss - love you so much. So happy when he scored that goal.

Goc - love you too! What more can we say about this guy?

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the clips TSN was airing of Tallon & Torrey in their suite. They were mirroring all the things I was doing in my apartment. It was priceless and it makes me so proud to have a management team that truly cares for this team and their success. Makes me really happy for the future.

The Season

Can't say I'm disappointed with how this season has gone. A division title, playoffs, and a 7 game series. As much as losing hurts, I feel like we won this year. We proved a lot of people wrong and our young guys got some valuable playoff experience. I have always held my head high as a Panthers fan, but right now, and going forward I can't wait to see what this team does.

We should be so proud and so excited for the future.

2012-13 season - BRING IT ON!

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Gotta disagree on three guys. Jovo was solid througout the seven games, very physical reminding me of the young Jovo, and his leadership was evident on the ice and believe me off the ice as well. He is a very important part of this team. Guds is a star in the making and played very well, moreso when he had more important minutes as Garrison was out. Any dman over the course of the season or a playoff series will have breakdowns but they were both consistent and solid. Even Campbell, who most panthers fans think is the second coming of Bobby Orr, was beaten defensively and made some questionable decisions for him. For example, the second goal in game seven he was outhustled and outmuscled by a four foot tall gionta on a goal that was all him. He was probably tired from playing so many minutes, but as good as he is and he has been great for us, he has also had his moments. And Mattias is very young and as a big strong skater he is an ideal third or fourth line center, he will not be a scoring line center people want him to be but he is so strong on the puck and does a lot of the little things, such as his board play leading to the second goal in game five.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Last edited by adam graves: 04-29-2012 at 09:55 AM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:19 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Jovo is the worst decision maker we have in his own zone. Just isn't a very reliable Defensive player. Physical yes, but going forward, his leadership doesn't outweigh his flaws.

Matthias is inept. Great skater and thats about as complimentary as you can be. Absolutely useless in the Offensize zone, especially if can't use his speed. He's not bad defensively.

Gudbranson is a good hockey player in the making. He was a little unreliable late in Game 7, but that should be expected. I still haven't seen any evidence to suggest he's likely projects into a two way all star defenseman, and there are various U-22 D in the league i'd take over him, but he will be a good player for many years.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:47 AM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
Jovo is the worst decision maker we have in his own zone. Just isn't a very reliable Defensive player. Physical yes, but going forward, his leadership doesn't outweigh his flaws.

Matthias is inept. Great skater and thats about as complimentary as you can be. Absolutely useless in the Offensize zone, especially if can't use his speed. He's not bad defensively.

Gudbranson is a good hockey player in the making. He was a little unreliable late in Game 7, but that should be expected. I still haven't seen any evidence to suggest he's likely projects into a two way all star defenseman, and there are various U-22 D in the league i'd take over him, but he will be a good player for many years.
Who? By League, do you mean in the NHL proper, or including defensemen in teams' system? The only other defensemen in the league (NHL) same age as Gudbranson are Justin Faulk and Adam Laarson. There are none younger. Even if you consider him the worst of the three, I wouldn't call that various. Maybe you meant defensemen in their rookie year? 2011-2012 - Regular Season - Defenseman - Rookies - Points

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:

strongly disagree with everything you wrote and glad Tallon and Dineen are making these assessments

Old
04-29-2012, 09:25 AM
ursavolta

Quote:

i Agree with the post in many levels.

Matthias has the tools but isnt smart enough to use them at all.. trade trade trade..

and jovo is a waste of capspace and was just a P.R. stunt.... his leadership skills are great i guess but..COME ON...

and guds stepped it up late .. but It's hard to see him into anything but another bryan allen clone..

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post

Matthias has the tools but isnt smart enough to use them at all.. trade trade trade..

and jovo is a waste of capspace and was just a P.R. stunt.... his leadership skills is great i guess but..COME ON...

and guds stepped it up late .. but It's hard to see him into anything but another bryan allen clone..
Brian Allen clone? Oh my, again, thank goodness Tallon is making these calls.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:02 AM
harv3317

was at the game. the first 2 periods were boring. the devils trap made me want to leave out of boredom!!! some how the third we started breaking it and the game got really exciting. everyone was standing for the third and both overtime periods. this team did everything it could to win, i thought we scored on at least two seperate occasions in ot. brodeur saved the game multiple times. unfortunately kuli was terrible all game and gave up the turnover on the winning goal. jovo, gubranson played well, basically every other d was sufficient. was really disappointed that theo didn't make the final save. imo, it was a fairly easy save, but the boys did themselves proud with a great comeback!! it really hurts to have 2 overtime losses in a row that could've won the series for us. broeduer stood tall when it really mattered. both ot goals were weak, but that's the way it goes. the boys were devastated after the loss!!!
i'm really prowd of this team!!! they showed resielency, guts and pride. they gained us a lot of respect around the league.

GUYS, THANKS FOR A GREAT SEASON AND SERIES!!!!!!! HOPE WE CAN GO FURTHER NEXT YEAR!!!!!!
IT'S ONLY THE BEGINING!!!!!!
GGGGOOOOO PPPPPAAAANNNNNTTTTHHHHEEEERRRSSSS!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Who? By League, do you mean in the NHL proper, or including defensemen in teams' system? The only other defensemen in the league (NHL) same age as Gudbranson are Justin Faulk and Adam Laarson. There are none younger. Even if you consider him the worst of the three, I wouldn't call that various. Maybe you meant defensemen in their rookie year? 2011-2012 - Regular Season - Defenseman - Rookies - Points
I said U-22. Im also fully aware Gudbranson is younger than most in that category, but then knowing those various players and their tools, i believe Gudbranson leaves a little bit to be desired in the Offensize zone in comparison.

He's a fine young Defenseman (I sound like an artistocrat!) who promises to be an excellent Defenseman in the NHL for a sustained period of time. I just happen to think that the clutch of Young Defenseman currently in and around the NHL is exceptional, and that Gudbranson lacks the attacking ability of many.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:05 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
strongly disagree with everything you wrote and glad Tallon and Dineen are making these assessments
Making what assessments?

Must would agree, Jovo has been our worst constant D throughout the year.

Matthias is inept Offensively.

My assessment of Gudbranson doesn't change the fact that he is a viable NHL option already, and thus is playing in the NHL.

Nothing about their "assessments" (Poor choice of wording on your part) neccessairly contradicts my view.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
I said U-22. Im also fully aware Gudbranson is younger than most in that category, but then knowing those various players and their tools, i believe Gudbranson leaves a little bit to be desired in the Offensize zone in comparison.

He's a fine young Defenseman (I sound like an artistocrat!) who promises to be an excellent Defenseman in the NHL for a sustained period of time. I just happen to think that the clutch of Young Defenseman currently in and around the NHL is exceptional, and that Gudbranson lacks the attacking ability of many.
Oh, I thought you were talking about this.

I agree with Gud's lack of offense. Hopefully we'll see that come with next season. Projecting him not to be a two-way defenseman feels too much like dooming him. We ultimately have no idea what will happen. It's not predestined.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Making what assessments?

Must would agree, Jovo has been our worst constant D throughout the year.

Matthias is inept Offensively.

My assessment of Gudbranson doesn't change the fact that he is a viable NHL option already, and thus is playing in the NHL.

Nothing about their "assessments" (Poor choice of wording on your part) neccessairly contradicts my view.
In your original note you clearly said you wanted Jovo and Mattias gone and that you didn't trust Guds late in the game. In the seven game series Campbell as good a he is made as many our more glaring mistakes than Jovo or Guds. Mattias is not a scorer but is also very valuable and was thruout the year. Jovo and Guds were physical and solid all series.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

A good argument can be made to keep each and every roster player. Lots of great role players.

Truth is we need to clear a couple of spaces for legitimate big time goal scorers...hubredeau and a ufa.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
In your original note you clearly said you wanted Jovo and Mattias gone and that you didn't trust Guds late in the game. In the seven game series Campbell as good a he is made as many our more glaring mistakes than Jovo or Guds. Mattias is not a scorer but is also very valuable and was thruout the year. Jovo and Guds were physical and solid all series.
Matthias isn't valuable in the least. He's proficient at nothing other than skating well for a big man. Easily replaceable.

Jovo at times has the decision making of a Goat. He's vastly overpaid. Comfortable the worst Defenseman on the team (Who plays regular minutes).

Campbell may have made his share of mistakes, but he's certainly more reliable in both zones, has a certified impact and is a minute muncher. Jovo is a below average NHL Defenseman at this point.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Matthias isn't valuable in the least. He's proficient at nothing other than skating well for a big man. Easily replaceable.

Jovo at times has the decision making of a Goat. He's vastly overpaid. Comfortable the worst Defenseman on the team (Who plays regular minutes).

Campbell may have made his share of mistakes, but he's certainly more reliable in both zones, has a certified impact and is a minute muncher. Jovo is a below average NHL Defenseman at this point.
Again, I disagree. Mattias reminds me of another former panthers center, under appreciated here until he left and had a pretty good and long career including a stanley cup. Niedermayer. Also a guy fans wnated to see score but not all players are meant to score 30 goals.

Jovo is overpaid, I agree, but so is pretty much everyone we got this offseason becaseu we had to overpay to get them. Does he make mistakes? yes, so do all of our defensemen, but when the chips were down he played solid and physical and his leadership is very valuable. It is no coincidence that for many reasons we had our worst play during the season when he was out. I will welcome him back and although I would have preferred a three year contract instead of four, I am happy to have him here and see him retire a panther. For example, Clarkson, a very physical player who scored 30 goals was virtually eliminated by Jovo in the series, physically and on the scoreboard.

We can continue to disagree but I believe you are missing the little things in the game, the things that are not so easy to notice things that usually make the difference. All three of these players bring that and we need more on this team not less.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Again, I disagree. Mattias reminds me of another former panthers center, under appreciated here until he left and had a pretty good and long career including a stanley cup. Niedermayer. Also a guy fans wnated to see score but not all players are meant to score 30 goals.

Jovo is overpaid, I agree, but so is pretty much everyone we got this offseason becaseu we had to overpay to get them. Does he make mistakes? yes, so do all of our defensemen, but when the chips were down he played solid and physical and his leadership is very valuable. It is no coincidence that for many reasons we had our worst play during the season when he was out. I will welcome him back and although I would have preferred a three year contract instead of four, I am happy to have him here and see him retire a panther. For example, Clarkson, a very physical player who scored 30 goals was virtually eliminated by Jovo in the series, physically and on the scoreboard.

We can continue to disagree but I believe you are missing the little things in the game, the things that are not so easy to notice things that usually make the difference. All three of these players bring that and we need more on this team not less.
Again, very well put Slick. We have very little physicalty on this team as a whole. Jovo and Guds totally showed their value against NJ. Think J17 has the start of the season in his mind.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:24 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post

and jovo is a waste of capspace and was just a P.R. stunt.... his leadership skills are great i guess but..COME ON...

Are you being serious?

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Now that I think I have finally completely cooled off, here's my final brief game synopsis

1st period: Jersey gets an early goal, Madden's face gets smashed on a hit by his own teammate, Bergenheim's foot gets broken by his own teammate - demoralized Panthers zombie skate through the period

2nd period: continued zombie skating - booed by home crowd at end of period

3rd period: (what happened to flip the switch?) team comes out flying & scores 3 goals (one disallowed) - fans standing & cheering

OT1 & 2: Panthers carry play but ultimately fall to a bad clear (Kulikov), unlucky bounce, good shot (Henrique) & bad look (Theodore).

Ultimately, it could have gone either way, but the Panthers lost that game before they put themselves in a position to win it.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Now that I think I have finally completely cooled off, here's my final brief game synopsis

1st period: Jersey gets an early goal, Madden's face gets smashed on a hit by his own teammate, Bergenheim's foot gets broken by his own teammate - demoralized Panthers zombie skate through the period

2nd period: continued zombie skating - booed by home crowd at end of period

3rd period: (what happened to flip the switch?) team comes out flying & scores 3 goals (one disallowed) - fans standing & cheering

OT1 & 2: Panthers carry play but ultimately fall to a bad clear (Kulikov), unlucky bounce, good shot (Henrique) & bad look (Theodore).

Ultimately, it could have gone either way, but the Panthers lost that game before they put themselves in a position to win it.
i said earlier i felt the PP goal is what really turned things around. maybe we came out with a little more energy in the 3rd but i didn't get the feeling (nor do i think the boys had the feeling) a comeback was afoot until it was 2-1. THEN we were flying and the devils were back on their heels. you could see pete looking a little peaked behind the bench.

i do agree with the premise of your post, though. unfortunately, bad starts were far too common this year. not sure what the answer is but since most of these guys are going to be back next year, they are going to have to find it in that room.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote