HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Capitals @ Rangers ECSF Game 1

View Poll Results: Who are the top 3 stars of the game?
Chris Kreider 187 96.39%
Derek Stepan 10 5.15%
Ryan Callahan 9 4.64%
Brad Richards 87 44.85%
Marian Gaborik 2 1.03%
Artem Anisimov 20 10.31%
Carl Hagelin 1 0.52%
Ruslan Fedotenko 92 47.42%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Mike Rupp 0 0%
John Mitchell 1 0.52%
Ryan McDonagh 59 30.41%
Dan Girardi 4 2.06%
Marc Staal 1 0.52%
Michael Del Zotto 1 0.52%
Stu Bickel 1 0.52%
Steve Eminger 1 0.52%
Anton Stralman 3 1.55%
Henrik Lundqvist 71 36.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Well it is difficult to base skating ability on anything other than personal perspective as it is a very difficult thing to objectify.

There aren't any hard statistics to prove it.
It is generally difficult. However, when comparing McDonagh to others, it becomes apparent that he is a much greater skater than nearly every other d-man out there in the league. It would be harder comparing average skaters.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
There is far more to "skating" than straight up/down motion. Timonen has great edge control when controlling the puck, certainly beyyer than RM as does Streit.
Your talking skating agility on lateral movement. Trust me McD is fine lateral skater. The Reason you don't see much of it is because the lack of PP time.

Not one of those skaters(exception being letang)is even close to the straight ahead skating of McD. I think McD is a much better lateral skater than those guys relative to their skating straight ahead.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Your talking skating agility on lateral movement. Trust me McD is fine lateral skater. The Reason you don't see much of it is because the lack of PP time.
Exactly. McD's lateral skating is just as good as the rest of his arsenal.

Again, there is a reason that people compare his skating to Niedermayer's. It's not because he is not even a top 5 skater in his own division.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:11 PM
doakacola*

Quote:

Not one of those skaters(exception being letang)is even close to the straight ahead skating of McD. I think McD is a much better lateral skater than those guys relative to their skating straight ahead.
Where in this discussion have I said RM is average or poor? I said he's not as fluid or powerful as Carlson, because I've seen plenty of both. RM doesnt have the edge control Timonen or Streit have, thats part and parcel of skating ability in the NHL.
Yes Coburn is a much better skater than you people give him credit for.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Braydon Coburn? Seriously?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Where in this discussion have I said RM is average or poor? I said he's not as fluid or powerful as Carlson, because I've seen plenty of both. RM doesnt have the edge control Timonen or Streit have, thats part and parcel of skating ability in the NHL.
Coburn's skating is more comparable with one of our other 5 d-men's skating. Coburn is above average, I guess. I wouldn't go any higher than that.

McDonagh's skating is elite. And "fluid or powerful" is a joke because McDonagh is outright faster than Carlson. His skating is both more fluid and more powerful than Carlson's. McDonagh can catch up to Ovechkin in as little as two steps or so. He's done it a few times in the past.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Exactly. McD's lateral skating is just as good as the rest of his arsenal.

Again, there is a reason that people compare his skating to Niedermayer's. It's not because he is not even a top 5 skater in his own division.
RM does not have SN skating ability, please stop with the 2007 Hockey News
Draft summaries. Again this isn't an attempt to degrade RM, I like him as a quality US dman, but he's not top 5 in skating amongst dmen, thats not accurate, not even close.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
RM does not have SN skating ability, please stop with the 2007 Hockey News
Draft summaries. Again this isn't an attempt to degrade RM, I like him as a quality US dman, but he's not top 5 in skating amongst dmen, thats not accurate, not even close.
Name 5 better skating d-men. There are none in the Atlantic. There is a comparable in Letang, but, again, McDonagh's speed puts him a bit ahead. And don't name anyone that you've already brought up because they are all wrong.

There are only a select few that I can think of that I would rank as equal or take over McD.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Streit is probably a better lateral skater but he isn't even in the same ball park with McD in skating speed, acceleration, cutting ability, or back skating. I don't understand how you can give him the edge. Skating ability is cumlative, not isolated.

Timmonen isn't dramatically better in any department really.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Leetch66

Can't believe I just read the last 3 pages on who was faster .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
What does that have to do with skating? I am saying everything you've said about his skating is wrong.

Billy Madison has a great scene in it for your debating skills.
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkodTydUR0E

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Haha, yes.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
True Blue

Late to the party. Was at the game. Really close to the ice. Some quick observations. Am sure tha tit was already covered.
1. Krieder is bigger than anyone things.
2. Gaborik is invisible.
3. The ONLY defenseman that is interested in putting himself between Henke and the opposing player is Bickel. Only one playing mean in front of net.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Name 5 better skating d-men. There are none in the Atlantic. There is a comparable in Letang, but, again, McDonagh's speed puts him a bit ahead. And don't name anyone that you've already brought up because they are all wrong.

There are only a select few that I can think of that I would rank as equal or take over McD.
You really think McD is that fast of a skater? A great skater for sure, but I don't know how FAST he is.... Powerful - Yes, Fluid - Yes, Pretty quick - Yes, but I wouldn't consider him a speed demon. I think Karlsson and Letang are probably both faster. They both look smaller as well.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Late to the party. Was at the game. Really close to the ice. Some quick observations. Am sure tha tit was already covered.
1. Krieder is bigger than anyone things.
2. Gaborik is invisible.
3. The ONLY defenseman that is interested in putting himself between Henke and the opposing player is Bickel. Only one playing mean in front of net.
The problem is more that the opponents players are not invisible... and therefore the 2-4 players surrounding Gaborik obscure him from your vision.

I actually am pretty happy with how things went. Previous incarnations of this team would've folded like a pair of deuces after giving up a tying goal in the last minute of the 2nd period. They persevered and won the game.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
You really think McD is that fast of a skater? A great skater for sure, but I don't know how FAST he is.... Powerful - Yes, Fluid - Yes, Pretty quick - Yes, but I wouldn't consider him a speed demon. I think Karlsson and Letang are probably both faster. They both look smaller as well.
He absolutely is.

Letang is definitely not as fast as he is. Karlsson, however, is one of the guys who I would put in front of McD.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
He absolutely is.

Letang is definitely not as fast as he is. Karlsson, however, is one of the guys who I would put in front of McD.
That I can agree with, Karlsson has insane skating ability.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:32 PM
MSGFaithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Can't believe I just read the last 3 pages on who was faster .
I think this is a sign to close the thread.

MSGFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Coburn's skating is more comparable with one of our other 5 d-men's skating. Coburn is above average, I guess. I wouldn't go any higher than that.

McDonagh's skating is elite. And "fluid or powerful" is a joke because McDonagh is outright faster than Carlson. His skating is both more fluid and more powerful than Carlson's. McDonagh can catch up to Ovechkin in as little as two steps or so. He's done it a few times in the past.
Gotta agree with Jon here.

The reason why McD reminds me so much of Neidermeyer is because he pivots and can go from skating backwards defensively to then stealing the puck to then all of a sudden being shot out of a rocket and carrying the puck the other way with threatening speed that backs everyone off.

He is a treat to watch and will only get better. It's so easy to forget this is his FIRST full NHL season. My goodness.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
SnowblindNYR

doakacola, from his posts on the Bruins board seems to be a McDonagh hater for some reason. No use in arguing with him. I don't think I've seen such venom towards McD from Habs fans.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
doakacola, from his posts on the Bruins board seems to be a McDonagh hater for some reason. No use in arguing with him. I don't think I've seen such venom towards McD from Habs fans.
oh he is a habs fan? Makes sense I guess.

Old
04-29-2012, 08:45 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
oh he is a habs fan? Makes sense I guess.
No I think he's a Bruins fan. I meant that not even Habs fans had such hate for him. If I were a Bruins fan I'd wish he'd be great so that the Habs would look bad. He said something like maybe Eddie O should talk about how he will be in the olympics in 2014. Completely blowing out of proportion 1 turnover in an otherwise great game.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Levitate

Man not to really jump into this argument too much but while John Carlson is a fine skater, he is not McDonagh's equal in that regard.

I think one thing that "hurts" McDonagh here is that he doesn't skate up the ice as much as a lot of players we consider to have great skating, and he's especially toned that down in the playoffs, probably because he doesn't want to make mistakes.

But he can skate it up the ice just as well as almost anyone when he wants to, as he has shown in the past. He is an excellent, excellent skater, he's just not an offensive defenseman who's using his skating all the time to skate through the neutral zone or set up offense

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Man not to really jump into this argument too much but while John Carlson is a fine skater, he is not McDonagh's equal in that regard.

I think one thing that "hurts" McDonagh here is that he doesn't skate up the ice as much as a lot of players we consider to have great skating, and he's especially toned that down in the playoffs, probably because he doesn't want to make mistakes.

But he can skate it up the ice just as well as almost anyone when he wants to, as he has shown in the past. He is an excellent, excellent skater, he's just not an offensive defenseman who's using his skating all the time to skate through the neutral zone or set up offense
I think a lot of that is he simply doesn't HAVE to skate up the ice a lot.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I think McDonagh is an excellent skater...I also think his skating, at times, is blown a little out of proportion. He's not Chris Kreider as a defenseman. He's not even in the same stratosphere as Karlsson who may be in the top 10 in terms of fastest skaters in the NHL.

He's a better skater than Carlson, but i dont think its a HUGE difference, and I don't think he's bobby orr on skates either ;-)

McDonagh is what he is, a guy who does pretty much everything at a borderline elite level. you can even see the offensive instincts come out here and there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote