HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Old
12-14-2011, 09:25 AM
MoJo903

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
how 'bout nooooo
How about an explanation?

MoJo903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:27 AM
fredligh

Your thoughts about Marcus Johansson

Seen the Caps a lot of times this season and this guy impresses me a lot. Butt i also read that many people here wants to trade him. Whats his problem? I think he is a fast skater with both grit and playmaking and playing like this at 22 he would be a key player for the coming years.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:29 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Seen the Caps a lot of times this season and this guy impresses me a lot. Butt i also read that many people here wants to trade him. Whats his problem? I think he is a fast skater with both grit and playmaking and playing like this at 22 he would be a key player for the coming years.
He's not a great defensive player (though not good either)... not physical... bad at faceoffs... and better on the wing. That's the reasons to trade him.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:42 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I wouldn't call MoJo bad defensively, the problem is most teams use a checking line to shutdown the other teams first line, so big tough gritty grinders while centering Ovi makes him look bad, he needs to work on his strength in the off season.

His face offs, well are bad, but not as bad as Laich.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:09 AM
fredligh

I think he is one the best in Caps to prevent the defenders from getting the puck of the zone, good backchecker imo.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:36 AM
txpd

the problem is that some here want a fully developed 2nd line center who might even be a 1st line center on some teams, a joe pavelski like guy, playing behind backstrom.

johansson is not that. its that simple. the caps make no effort to get that bacause they have johansson who at 21 is near at 50 pts with obvious yet to be seen upside and a player like pavelski will likely come with an extensive contract term.

so, the caps are willing to wait and some fans are not. the kid, 90, is going to be a very good player

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Kallejohansson

Some fans aren't patient enough. WHY would the Caps trade away a flexible player, because he can play both winger and center, who will probably score around 50-70 points for many many years to come? I really don't see that. If we need a #2 center so badly, I'm sure there are other assets we could trade away.

MoJo needs to work on his finishing, board work and strength. Other than that he's got it all. Great speed, perhaps the fastest player on the roster, he's a decent play maker and a great fore checker. I really like him and I think it would be a big mistake to trade him away. We would regret it in 3-4 years when he's a good 1st line player.

Kallejohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
fredligh

This play i think is a show of his anticipation/checking skills where he battles and wins the puck and feed the puck to Backstrom with a no-look pass. Underrated play imo.

Old
04-29-2012, 09:05 AM
fredligh

the play;

Old
04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Devil Dancer

I don't want to trade MAJO, but I have been a bit disappointed with his development this season, and I think he's been pretty bad in the playoffs so far. His passing has been particularly bad in the post-season. He makes a highlight pass every now and then, but for every great pass he makes he coughs up the puck 5 times.

Good player, bright future, don't trade him, but I'm just a little frustrated with him in the short term.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:01 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I would label MoJo a talented player that is still very immature.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Carlzner

Bad defensively? He plays on the PK!

I think he's got the skills, and will be a very good player, but still makes some mistakes.

He's fast, defensively responsible, will go into the corners to do dirty work, and can make nice passes.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
laika86

I like Mojo, but his upside seems a little limited to me. He's definitely better suited as a winger than a center. He's got great speed and above average skills. He has good positioning and instincts - he seems to come open in good scoring position a lot. This is particularly helpful when he's paired with Backstrom and Semin, who can both deliver the pass to him. He struggles more when he has the puck. He's a little predictable sometimes (his drop pass is great...or at least it was first 10 times he did it). He tries to force passes a lot, leading to turnovers. His general awareness with the puck is lacking - much stronger off the puck than with it. He also struggles to win puck battles in the corners. He's helpful on the forecheck, but more because of his speed and puck retrieval. He struggles more once the puck is in the zone and space is limited. A lot of this is due to size - he simply gets outmuscled. His frame is small to average, so I don't see this changing significantly. I would say that he's probably close to his upside right now (20-25 goals, 30-35 assists, average to above average defense). I could potentially see him getting into the 60-70 point range if he improves his awareness with the puck, but I wouldn't count on that.

laika86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:16 PM
sunnydaycrash

he`s 21 years old people...21 friggin years old

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
he`s 21 years old people...21 friggin years old
Yeah, a 21 year old who put up 46 points in his second season (third on the team), and increased his per-game production by roughly 47% from his rookie season.

If he were to hypothetically increase his production a similar amount next year, he'd put up 69 points over 82 games.

The kid's got great upside, and is still far from filling out his frame.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 04-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.
NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, a 21 year old who put up 46 points in his second season (third on the team), and increased his per-game production by roughly 47% from his rookie season.

If he were to hypothetically increase his production a similar amount next year, he'd put up 69 points over 82 games.

The kid's got great upside, and is still from from filling out his frame.
I know, I think he`s been great, but apparently he`s aleady a bust to most people.....it`s dumbfounding.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't want to trade MAJO, but I have been a bit disappointed with his development this season, and I think he's been pretty bad in the playoffs so far. His passing has been particularly bad in the post-season. He makes a highlight pass every now and then, but for every great pass he makes he coughs up the puck 5 times.

Good player, bright future, don't trade him, but I'm just a little frustrated with him in the short term.
marcus johansson is a different king of player than nicklas backstrom. dont expect the same things. he is not an elite passer. he creates assists with his speed and the simple pass. in the end he is going to score more goals per assist than backstrom does because of the speed as well.

he is a 21 year old center with nearly 50 nhl points and was not a top 5 pick. it might be that he disappointed your expectations because they were a bit too high.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:36 PM
WayneBruce

He was picked at #24, that looks like a steal right now if you look at some of the forwards picked before him.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
NeilYoung

He's stepped up pretty well two years in a row when it counts

Realistically he's frustrating at times and still very young and in a lot of ways very raw. Expecting him to be a capable 2nd line center on a cup team is out of his reach at this point, realistically it isn't fair to him either.

That's not his fault it's Mcphee

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Sort of off-topic, but looking over the 2009 draft you can't help but be impressed with the Capitals' picks. To this point, each of their first three picks looks like great value. Johansson at #24, Orlov at #55, and Eakin at #85. Johansson and Orlov have also developed pretty quickly and exceeded most expectations.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Some people have excessive expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
the play;

Fixed that link for you.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Sort of off-topic, but looking over the 2009 draft you can't help but be impressed with the Capitals' picks. To this point, each of their first three picks looks like great value. Johansson at #24, Orlov at #55, and Eakin at #85. Johansson and Orlov have also developed pretty quickly and exceeded most expectations.
Wey and Flemming each has a pretty decent chance of developing into an NHLer as well. Very good draft.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:12 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
He's stepped up pretty well two years in a row when it counts

Realistically he's frustrating at times and still very young and in a lot of ways very raw. Expecting him to be a capable 2nd line center on a cup team is out of his reach at this point, realistically it isn't fair to him either.

That's not his fault it's Mcphee
when you have a $10m salary on your roster cap, you have to take advantage of overperforming a salary. johansson does that.

if he's going to be a center, he needs to be a center. he's an offensive center, not a checker. whats your solution?

Old
04-29-2012, 06:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
mcphee seems to have set a standard for the caps where they are willing to take a chance on a player with a problem that scares most teams off. green was a top 10 players that fell because he team sucked. johansson fell because of the concussion. kuznetsov and orlov because they are russian. i am sure there are more like that

Old
04-29-2012, 06:17 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mcphee seems to have set a standard for the caps where they are willing to take a chance on a player with a problem that scares most teams off. green was a top 10 players that fell because he team sucked. johansson fell because of the concussion. kuznetsov and orlov because they are russian. i am sure there are more like that
I wish they drafted Casey Cizikas, too.He fell to the Isles in the 4th round. BTW, Isles made another such pick in Kabanov later.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote