HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Best WC in a while?

Old
04-29-2012, 09:00 AM
QnebO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNNe View Post
OT
What dream team? Team Finland has all the best players available in it that haven't quit the NT.
Pitkänen
Timonen
Salo
Lydman
Selänne
S. Koivu
Bergenheim
Vatanen
Hagman
Korpikoski
Leino
Tuomo Ruutu

Thats 'nuf said. No one of them is retired from national team. Olli Jokinen is only one who keeps hes retirement.

Last edited by QnebO: 04-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:11 AM
MaNNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Pitkänen
Timonen
Salo
Lydman
Selänne
S. Koivu
Bergenheim
Vatanen
Nummelin

Thats what came into my mind in 30sec and thats 'nuf said. No one of them is retired from national team. Olli Jokinen is only one who keeps hes retirement.
Selänne and especially Koivu have said publicly that they will not play anymore and that they'll leave the younger generation to take the reins. Salo isn't coming into the nt anymore either he might not even play in the NHL anymore next year. Timonen is also too old to play in the future not to mention that he isn't available. If you had read my post I said that we have the best players that are available. Nummelin is far from being capable of belonging to any "dream team" anymore. Bergenheim and Pitkänen i mentioned in my post already and they are the only players that could play for Finland in future competitions. Vatanen I forgot and he would be a clear improvement tho.

MaNNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Selänne and especially Koivu have said publicly that they will not play anymore and that they'll leave the younger generation to take the reins. Salo isn't coming into the nt anymore either he might not even play in the NHL anymore next year.
Yes.. Thats why we didint get the "dream team" because we didint get those "big" guys. Didint say anything against that thing u said there.. But I thought Selänne said he could've as well played if he didint still consider one more year. Thats why we might break the curse, because we didint get any kind of "dream team".

Old
04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Who is Adam Mitchell...?

Edit - Seriously? The best option they could find was some random winger in Germany...?
It would be wrong to call in an NHL guy to be the 14th forward. Or in Ryan Murray's case, 8th D.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
edd1e

Quote:
OT
What dream team? Team Finland has all the best players available in it that haven't quit the NT, except for Bergenheim who is injured and Pitkänen. Fact to the matter is Finland is void of any talent in the ageg roups 85-90 and this is starting to show more and more every year, especially now that the old guard has quit the NT.

/OT
No Lydman,Koivu,Salo,Ruutu,Vatanen,Hagman just from top of my head..

So few more than two

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:21 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Selänne and especially Koivu have said publicly that they will not play anymore and that they'll leave the younger generation to take the reins. Salo isn't coming into the nt anymore either he might not even play in the NHL anymore next year. Timonen is also too old to play in the future not to mention that he isn't available. If you had read my post I said that we have the best players that are available. Nummelin is far from being capable of belonging to any "dream team" anymore. Bergenheim and Pitkänen i mentioned in my post already and they are the only players that could play for Finland in future competitions. Vatanen I forgot and he would be a clear improvement tho.
Post me link where S. Koivu said his NT career is over? Cause i remember seeing article about Koivu wanting to play in the next Olympics.

So before making statements like that back them up and not just make stuff up.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:49 PM
MaNNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
No Lydman,Koivu,Salo,Ruutu,Vatanen,Hagman just from top of my head..

So few more than two
Hagman isn't in shape to be playing in the top 6 for Finland right now. Ruutu is injured as is Vatanen and I already said I forgot about him. Salo will never play for the NT anymore - book it.

And about Koivu he said before as in last year, when asked if he wanted to join the national team that he doesn't want to take any authority away from his brother by joining the team as a leader. I believe this is also why he didn't come this year.Sure he has said that his goal is to play until Sochi, but it doesn't mean that he will play in the NT. Also he and Teemu have implied many times that it's time for a change of guard in the national team. I don't have any quotes for you. I read it somewhere but can't be arsed to look for it. But you could also look at the fact that they are pretty darn old. Selänne is 41, Koivu is 37 and his level has been constantly dropping too, Salo is 37 and Timonen is also 37. Ie. Swedes have already gone through this generation change.

It's funny how defensive the Finns over here get ... Fact to the matter is that outside Korpikoski Finlands yongest regular NHL players are -84 born. The old guard in Timonen, Salo, Selänne and Koivu is pretty much already gone and right now there is no one to take that mantle. The next few years we will have the worst teams in a long time. Luckily there are some great prospects finally coming out of Finland for the future, but it'll take a while for them to develop and meanwhile Finland will have pretty bad teams.

Just a funny fact: If Selänne, Koivu, Salo and retires next year, which could happen we'll have 2 regular NHL defenceman. And around 15 regular NHL-players out of which only 5 are playing top 6 minutes. Defence is looking especially horrible for Sochi. If Vatanen ends up not making the NHL, we could have just 2 NHL-defenceman for Sochi. Luckily we have the goaltenders that can bail them out...

Old
04-29-2012, 04:27 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Hagman isn't in shape to be playing in the top 6 for Finland right now. Ruutu is injured as is Vatanen and I already said I forgot about him. Salo will never play for the NT anymore - book it.
Hagman isnt in shape? Did you see at him playing at the ducks firstline and second line? He jumped hes level when he joined the ducks.

Salo has never said anything like, nor did Koivu - opposite what u claimed. Injuries... what the heck? Thats what everyones trying to say, we are not getting the "dream team" in our home tournament because of injuries, unwillingnes ect. What are you trying to point out man? You're saying that those guys couldn't be lions, but there they are playing good level hockey in the NHL, so yes they could make a dreamteam here in this tournament, just like Slovakia had theirs last year (and failed with it). But we're not having that team because of several reasons. Whats the part you're not getting?

Last edited by QnebO: 04-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old
04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Just a funny fact: If Selänne, Koivu, Salo and retires next year, which could happen we'll have 2 regular NHL defenceman. And around 15 regular NHL-players out of which only 5 are playing top 6 minutes. Defence is looking especially horrible for Sochi. If Vatanen ends up not making the NHL, we could have just 2 NHL-defenceman for Sochi. Luckily we have the goaltenders that can bail them out...
You do on the other hand have plenty of players (d-men mostly) that is of a very high european quality. Unlike Sweden nowadays when the old guard (Magnus Johansson, Johan Davidsson, Tony Mårtensson et.c.) seems to be done with the NT there is some good finnish players in KHL and such that can be real assets on a WC-team.

In swedish hockey theres the youngsters, one or two oldies (like Niklas Persson) and then there is the players born 1982-1986 that should be in their prime, but is kind of a lost generation with few very high quality players playing in Europe. There is especially a lack of puckmoving d (which is ironic since that is a trademark of swedish junior hockey atm) of good quality. D-men that can skate well, run a PP and not look lost in their own zone on a high international level is far and few between in Sweden (allthough there is plenty of swedish d-men in NHL with those traits.)

On topic, allthough there is not so many finns in NHL at the moment, there is still good finnish hockeyplayers, and there seems to be a new wave of high end finnish prospects coming out after some reay bad years prospectwise.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:41 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
You do on the other hand have plenty of players (d-men mostly) that is of a very high european quality. Unlike Sweden nowadays when the old guard (Magnus Johansson, Johan Davidsson, Tony Mårtensson et.c.) seems to be done with the NT there is some good finnish players in KHL and such that can be real assets on a WC-team.
In the studio today they just talked about that, Finns having 30+ players in the KHL, some who moved there from the NHL just to cash in some more $ like Niko Kapanen from the Stars for example back then. And that many of those 30 would play some kind of minutes def. in the NHL because they're just too good to SM-Liiga or some other.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:34 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Canadian words, and yet people from outside of Canada bring it up several times more often than Canadians do. Very interesting.
not to mention that it's not even what Canadians say... What canadians actually say is that Canada could send 3 teams that could win, and I have yet to see anyone really refute that point... the fact that they always have a team that people say looks good on paper going into these tournaments despite the number of players unavailable and declining inviations seems to back up that line of thinking... when you have a short tournament where you lose one playoff game and you can't win the tournament of course you're going to see them not win some, that doesn't change the facts about the talent on teams.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Huxflux

Quote:
Pitkänen
Timonen
Salo
Lydman
Selänne
S. Koivu
Bergenheim
Vatanen
Hagman
Korpikoski
Leino
Tuomo Ruutu

Thats 'nuf said. No one of them is retired from national team. Olli Jokinen is only one who keeps hes retirement.
Good for you guys, you got alot of new young talent that can take Olli Jokinens place on the NT at least. And i would'nt be too worried about stacking up on some quality D until Sochi, well maybe abit but you got lots of guys in KHL that could fill it up too.

Huxflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:16 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
not to mention that it's not even what Canadians say... What canadians actually say is that Canada could send 3 teams that could win, and I have yet to see anyone really refute that point... the fact that they always have a team that people say looks good on paper going into these tournaments despite the number of players unavailable and declining inviations seems to back up that line of thinking... when you have a short tournament where you lose one playoff game and you can't win the tournament of course you're going to see them not win some, that doesn't change the facts about the talent on teams.
Oh you're right, but it's more convenient to just exaggerate when you want to complain about something, but actually can't support your claim. In another thread I made up three different Canadian teams that could contend for gold at the Olympics, and not one person has complained yet. Probably because each of the three teams is good enough for gold, but who knows.

Can Americans watch this tournament on the NHL network? Is it being shown on any channel?

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Hell just froze over.

So nice to see you again. It had been a while since I saw your complaining cluttering up a thread.

To answer the OP, yes. I think that players are becoming more aware that answering the call for this tournament can be a factor as to whether or not they will be picked for the Olympics team.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:44 PM
MaNNe

Quote:
In the studio today they just talked about that, Finns having 30+ players in the KHL, some who moved there from the NHL just to cash in some more $ like Niko Kapanen from the Stars for example back then. And that many of those 30 would play some kind of minutes def. in the NHL because they're just too good to SM-Liiga or some other.
My "point" is that the dream team you and others spoke of doesn't exist anymore. Generations have changed. Timonen, Salo, Koivu and Selänne will never play in the NT again. Nor will Peltonen or Lehtinen who already quit. And then there is Jokinen who said he quit, but he just might come around yet. Just because they haven't directly said they won't play anymore doesn't mean they will.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:43 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Stamkos, Crosby and Toews all said no. If they said yes then I would agree.
Stamkos would probably be playing if he wasn't injured.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
That defense is not that good. The forwards and goaltenders are good for WC standards.

2008 was the best World Championships I've ever seen, to be honest.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote