Old
04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Also, it seems as if I was the first to see the Burns trade coming after we picked him?
I don't know about that..

Old
04-29-2012, 06:05 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I don't know about that..
Well I was the first to suggest it...

Go back and read it. I suggested it might happen and multiple people said it wouldn't. Then you go to page four, and everyone was surprised when we traded him.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Yeah all the hate Brodin got last year and he has done nothing but prove people wrong.
I was one of the folks who HATED this pick at the draft. But I am changing my tune on him. He seems to be a steady player that should be able to hold down a top six D position.

However, I still wish the Wild would take a strong, physical, nasty Defensive D-man.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I was one of the folks who HATED this pick at the draft. But I am changing my tune on him. He seems to be a steady player that should be able to hold down a top six D position.

However, I still wish the Wild would take a strong, physical, nasty Defensive D-man.
We will when it's our pick and that d-man is the BPA.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post

i think you VASTLY undervalue brodin, he is the guy who you play 27 minutes in the playoffs and he keeps the opposing best weapon off the score sheet. While this year Farjestads lost to Brynas, Silveberg the guy who tore up 1st and 3rd round opponents didn't score that much vs Farjestads, I am going to go on a hunch as say Brodin had something to do with that.

i will take a smart dman as brodin is over some big physical defensive guy any day of the week. this kid is 18 right now and he is getting praised for playing better then grown men all while playing vs grown men and even NHLers.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:28 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

^ That.

Every one of Fletcher's first and second round picks in the last two drafts has done nothing but get better since being drafted, definitely to include Brodin. Whatever criteria he's using to choose players is really working.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:40 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

We also should give Flahr and his staff credit for these selections, not just GMCF.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:59 AM
State of Hockey

I was at the X that night so I didn't contribute to page 1, but I wasn't high on the Brodin pick then and still now (would have picked Murphy instead). To me, last year isn't the progression we needed to see. And it's the case with Granlund too. Both guys are basically the same players that we drafted. The improvement has been relatively small. You want real progression? Look up Larsson, Bulmer, or Leddy.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Murphy has not progressed as much as Brodin has since the draft.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Brodin has undoubtedly progressed more than Murphy since the draft. The WJC more than proved that.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Well I was the first to suggest it...

Go back and read it. I suggested it might happen and multiple people said it wouldn't. Then you go to page four, and everyone was surprised when we traded him.
Well, congrats then.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:56 AM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
i think you VASTLY undervalue brodin, he is the guy who you play 27 minutes in the playoffs and he keeps the opposing best weapon off the score sheet. While this year Farjestads lost to Brynas, Silveberg the guy who tore up 1st and 3rd round opponents didn't score that much vs Farjestads, I am going to go on a hunch as say Brodin had something to do with that.
Silfverberg scored 2 goals against Färjestad in the Semis. Both in empty nets.
Brodin scored once, in 5 on 5.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
We also should give Flahr and his staff credit for these selections, not just GMCF.
Isn't it actually Flahr who makes the first pick of the draft? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere. I know he was personally scouting all the candidates for the first pick this year.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I was at the X that night so I didn't contribute to page 1, but I wasn't high on the Brodin pick then and still now (would have picked Murphy instead). To me, last year isn't the progression we needed to see. And it's the case with Granlund too. Both guys are basically the same players that we drafted. The improvement has been relatively small. You want real progression? Look up Larsson, Bulmer, or Leddy.
I don't know if it's a matter of progression with Brodin as he was already NHL ready according to our scouts. His biggest problems were size and assertiveness. The assertiveness issue is probably well on its way to disappearing as he skates top minutes on his pro club. Size...he's how old?

People keep praising Leddy for some reason. He isn't horrible, but he isn't that great either (as far as "progression" goes). A lot of Hawks fans this year were complaining that he wasn't as sheltered this year as he should be at this stage in his development--i don't think we'll have to shelter Brodin at all. Leddy certainly isn't a bust, but he isn't anything to pine after either.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:18 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Isn't it actually Flahr who makes the first pick of the draft? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere. I know he was personally scouting all the candidates for the first pick this year.
he is responsible for the pick, yes, but it's not like he operates alone. I get the impression this scouting department works with the current front office a lot better than the dynamic in the last regime.

I would have been very curious to see what Flahr would have done with our pick the year before he came on. Or maybe i don't want to know.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
he is responsible for the pick, yes, but it's not like he operates alone. I get the impression this scouting department works with the current front office a lot better than the dynamic in the last regime.

I would have been very curious to see what Flahr would have done with our pick the year before he came on. Or maybe i don't want to know.
Yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound so draconian, but I meant that he's the one who makes the actual decision on the selection (after taking input from the rest of the scouting department, management staff, and coaching staff). If he were so inclined, he could yell "Screw you guys, I'm picking [player x]" and that would be our selection. Obviously, he takes the input of the scouting staff extremely seriously.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:54 AM
nickschultzfan

Brodin still has a boy's body, but he thinks the game like a 35 year old vet. When he actually matures, the guy is going to be light-out.

I know the Lindstrom name gets thrown around a lot, but that guy knew you didn't need to unload a slap-shot every time the puck comes to you in order to create goals. A simple wrist shot on net can do just as much damage. Brodin is like that too.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Any of our SEL watchers know how often the bounce pass off the end boards is used in Sweden? I know Granlund has demonstrated a bit of a knack for it. In the current NHL it seems like an important tool for someone like Brodin to add to his repertoire.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Brodin still has a boy's body, but he thinks the game like a 35 year old vet. When he actually matures, the guy is going to be light-out.

I know the Lindstrom name gets thrown around a lot, but that guy knew you didn't need to unload a slap-shot every time the puck comes to you in order to create goals. A simple wrist shot on net can do just as much damage. Brodin is like that too.
I also like Lidstrom's slap shot. He doesn't bring it back until his stick hits the rafters like Heatley's shot. He keeps it short and compact. Lidstrom saves a good amount of time when only losing about 4-7% of his full power when doing this. But to shoot when the defense is still shifting rather than them set and read to block the shot, is just an enormous advantage. This skill is higher underrated. If Brodin can develop this, that would be absolutely huge. Lidstrom has never had an overpowering shot, which gives me hope that Brodin can someday do this. This is something that is very coachable, but a hot commodity.

I, honestly, don't care too much about Brodin's weight right now. Lidstrom was drafted at about 175. His rookie card weight says 180, 6'2". Either he shrunk in his 20s, or he has been 6'1" his entire career. Brodin is the same height and I can't see him losing weight anytime soon. Its the end of a long season for him and I expect him to be up to at least 180-5 by the start of training camp. He has the same sleight body as Lidstrom. If we get half of Lidstrom, that would nice.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
People keep praising Leddy for some reason. He isn't horrible, but he isn't that great either (as far as "progression" goes). A lot of Hawks fans this year were complaining that he wasn't as sheltered this year as he should be at this stage in his development--i don't think we'll have to shelter Brodin at all. Leddy certainly isn't a bust, but he isn't anything to pine after either.
I would argue that Leddy could have done more developing outside of the NHL. He has looked okay for the Blackhawks, but I'll always wonder if he would have been better-off not being rushed.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Okay? 37 points in a full sophomore season in which he played all 82 games. That is outstanding. Obviously, his defense has plenty of room for improvement. But to say okay for a 21 year old defenseman that is already producing solid point totals in the best league in the world is a pretty stale train of thought. Considering how long defenseman usually take to develop, this is great. We can't negatively judge his performance because Fletcher made a mistake in trading him.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
Silfverberg scored 2 goals against Färjestad in the Semis. Both in empty nets.
Brodin scored once, in 5 on 5.
Was brodin used to shut down silfverberg do you know? I am assuming he was

Old
04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Cam Barker had 40 points when he was 22. Just sayin.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

He's also a pure goal scorer now. 2 G- 0 A on the season.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:01 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Cam Barker had 40 points when he was 22. Just sayin.
Yeah, when he was paired with Campbell.

Just say no to Garrison...

Closed Thread