HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds @ Coyotes - three blind mice edition

Old
04-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
How many of them have won 40 games every season since the lockout?
just saying, some people act like it's a sure disaster to make a coaching change.

and i'm much less impressed with the regular season than playoff performance, something this fanbase will learn if we ever make a serious run or two. first round isn't all that impressive either when people barely even remember the conference final losers after a couple of years.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
Truth. We win our two home games and we earn a 3rd.

For all the people who think we're down and out going down 0-2, you're selling this team short. Coming back from an 0-2 deficit is on our franchise first's checkoff list. So was beating Detroit.
You act like winning 2 game is just so easy. Oh yeah, just skate out Pekka and give it to Shea and get out of the way.

Phoenix has dominated us. Absolutely dominated us. We have nothing to build on, nothing to be happy about. Even if we come out and play our best game ever in our franchise, Smith can get hot and steal one. I'd at least be somewhat positive had we given a spirited effort, but we got our arses handed to us. We are in a very very bad spot.

Stats say we lose the series 85% of the time.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Jarnberg

Phoenix looks more like a team that can steal one in Nashville then Nashville coming home and dominating.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Smith gave up three or more goals one time in the Chicago series. We've put three past him in both games. Too bad we forgot to play defense while doing that.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oreilly22

Especially if Suter leaves this summer, this team needs a new start with a new coach. Mike Keenan or maybe Ron Wilson? I wonder if Lane Lambert has anything to do with our powerplay rocking like it has this year? Maybe give the job to him.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
You act like winning 2 game is just so easy. Oh yeah, just skate out Pekka and give it to Shea and get out of the way.

Phoenix has dominated us. Absolutely dominated us. We have nothing to build on, nothing to be happy about. Even if we come out and play our best game ever in our franchise, Smith can get hot and steal one. I'd at least be somewhat positive had we given a spirited effort, but we got our arses handed to us. We are in a very very bad spot.

"Three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

At this point I just want to see the Preds win game three and go from there.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:08 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
IMO, this is enough of a wakeup call for the Preds to tighten up their play and work their way past the Coyotes at home.

It would also help to not give up the first goal of the game, ffs.

Need more physical play from the Predators btw, Coyotes are hitting harder; this contributed to some of the poorer performances against the Wings in round 1.
I was expecting Game 1 to be that wakeup call. A little concerning that it wasn't.

It's like the team thought: Sweet, we've got the Coyotes next round. They suck, we'll probably crush them. Yeah, we played bad in the first 2 periods of Game 1, but look how much we dominated them once we decided to start playing in the 3rd and OT! We're awesome, we can turn it on whenever we want.

NO focus at all tonight. Gross.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Same crowd always defending trotz, even when facts say differently. As for the detroit series, even though we won in 5 I wasn't exactly thrilled with the way things turned out there either. Our power play blew, PK sucked, and our top lines couldn't generate anything. Pekka, not trotz, won that series for us. Actually, I am starting to think Peterson, more than trotz, is behind this team's success over the years.

I give PHX all the credit in the world, they are a great team. But so are we, but right now our game plan is **** and there are three men responsible for that and two have them have been consistent every year and that is Trotz and Horachek.'

If we lose this series, I think it is time to really consider firing trotz.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Legionnaire11

just said on post-game that this is the most goals Rinne gave up in back-to-back games all season...

i'm not saying the series is over, I do expect the Preds to play better and win a few. But right now we're talking Preds have to win 4 out of the next 5... that's a HUGE task against any team.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
But right now we're talking Preds have to win 4 out of the next 5... that's a HUGE task against any team.
This. We are done.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:14 PM
AEM6729

Y'all...we are most definitely not going to be firing Trotz during the playoffs, so can we please keep all this ruckus about firing him for the offseason and focus on talking about the actual game/series right now? Just sayin...

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean they totally suck. I just mean we're better than them. Or at least, we should be. We finished with more points than them, in a MUCH stronger division. Our roster is deeper than theirs. There's no reason, on paper, why they should dominate us the way they did tonight.
There's an expression about why they don't play games on paper.

Quote:
it's not always a bad deal to change coaches...

St. Louis
Washington
Los Angeles

all made a coaching change during the season and are in the second round. New Jersey hired DeBoer in the offseason.
St. Louis - horrid start
Washington - bad start, needed a huge kick in the ass to make the playoffs in a perceived weak division
Los Angeles - couldn't score if the net was as wide as the rink

None of those are problems that our team had. Notice, though, all of the coaching changes you mentioned went to coaches that play....more like Trotz does. Funny, ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
4. She Weber not going beast mode, more like cowardly lion mode.

7. Hal Gill is slower than Bill Houlder
Weber has played solid. I don't see how you can knock his game. He took a stupid penalty...for being too physical. Not much of a cowardly lion. He absolutely abused Boyd Gordon with a shove that must've thrown him 5-6 feet. Of all the players on defense tonight, I don't see how one could single out Weber or Suter. They played like they're supposed to play.

I'd like to see Weber blast it more...but it's obvious Phoenix is keying in on him. Instead, he's letting Suter take more shots. Guess what? Resulted in 2 goals.

As far as Gill being slow. Yes, he's almost Andrew Brunette slow, but his size and reach make up for it. I felt more confident with him and Bouillon on the ice, because at least they were clearing bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Not sure firing Trotz is the answer, but he needs to get a game plan together. I think he was a little too comfortable with how we played in the 3rd/OT of game 1 and was completely caught off guard tonight. He was thinking "just shake the rust off and improve our faceoffs and we should have no problem." Big mistake. Phoenix is not a pushover team.
This is a much more rational take on the coaching situation.

We got outcoached tonight. But it's not like the guy on the other bench is some schmuck.

Adjustments have to be made. That's obvious. Phoenix said they were going to be more aggressive all game after what happened in Game 1. They lived up to their word. We can't just think playing better is going to win us the series. We're going to have to bring our A game. Maybe our A+ game. Play like we did in January A game.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cleangene

I am so glad all the rust was gone after game 1.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

We need to K.I.S.S., win game three and go from there.

Old
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
just saying, some people act like it's a sure disaster to make a coaching change.

and i'm much less impressed with the regular season than playoff performance, something this fanbase will learn if we ever make a serious run or two. first round isn't all that impressive either when people barely even remember the conference final losers after a couple of years.
Babcock has done what the past three years? Two one and dones in a row in Chicago. We complain about one and dones against the Wings when we were the 8th seed and had some pretty weak rosters. We moan about the Sharks when it was two teams with 51 wins meeting in the first round ... the only time the two teams that led the conference in wins met in the first round under the current format.

Until the deadline, this was a team of overperformers. It's amazing to look back to the opinions in October and the huge questions about Smith, Halischuk, and even Wilson.

Coach's messages do get stale. I'm not sold that we've reached that point yet. We're up against a good and very hungry team that peaked about a week before the playoffs started. Right now they are beating us by playing Predators hockey better than us. The glaring issues in game one were faceoffs and the PK ... we mitigated those but let our 5on5 defensive slip. We'll see what Tippet and Trotz adjust before Wednesday. It's not over yet.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem6729 View Post
y'all...we are most definitely not going to be firing trotz during the playoffs, so can we please keep all this ruckus about firing him for the offseason and focus on talking about the actual game/series right now? Just sayin...
+100

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Iron Duke

Pffft, yes please, let's fire Trotz. Let him go to a fanbase that actually understands what poor coaching looks like.

This team got completely outworked, end of story. Their forecheck was better, they were more consistent about getting pucks in deep and thereby keeping pressure in our zone, they did a better job crashing the net, they got more shots on net, they limited turnovers, they were better at breakouts, their defensemen supported the attack and their forwards did a better job getting back to help break up rushes.

Our 'gameplan' is EXACTLY the same as the one being uses against us. The difference is that the men in red are playing like it's the 2nd round of the playoffs and they want a Cup, and the guys in white look like they're mentally making golf reservations.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Y'all...we are most definitely not going to be firing Trotz during the playoffs, so can we please keep all this ruckus about firing him for the offseason and focus on talking about the actual game/series right now? Just sayin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Babcock has done what the past three years? Two one and dones in a row in Chicago. We complain about one and dones against the Wings when we were the 8th seed and had some pretty weak rosters. We moan about the Sharks when it was two teams with 51 wins meeting in the first round ... the only time the two teams that led the conference in wins met in the first round under the current format.

Until the deadline, this was a team of overperformers. It's amazing to look back to the opinions in October and the huge questions about Smith, Halischuk, and even Wilson.

Coach's messages do get stale. I'm not sold that we've reached that point yet. We're up against a good and very hungry team that peaked about a week before the playoffs started. Right now they are beating us by playing Predators hockey better than us. The glaring issues in game one were faceoffs and the PK ... we mitigated those but let our 5on5 defensive slip. We'll see what Tippet and Trotz adjust before Wednesday. It's not over yet.
this and this.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

our leading forward in points this year had a whopping 58 points (erat) ... wow

2011-2012 erat 58 points
2010-2011 sk/erat 50 points
2009-2010 sullivan/hornqvist 51 points
2008-2009 dumont 65 points
2007-2008 arnott 72 points
2006-2007 kariya 76 points
2005-2006 kariya 85 points

looks to me someone is sucking the offense out of the forwards... other than kariya (hall of fame?) .. and the SAD line our forwards are inept at getting on the scoresheet.

and im fine with being defense first... it seems alot of NHL teams are switching to defense first and its working.. STL, LA, PHX, NYR.. but my gosh... at least have a game plan and pay attention to the defensive side if thats going to be our sticking point.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
St. Louis - horrid start
Washington - bad start, needed a huge kick in the ass to make the playoffs in a perceived weak division
Los Angeles - couldn't score if the net was as wide as the rink

None of those are problems that our team had. Notice, though, all of the coaching changes you mentioned went to coaches that play....more like Trotz does. Funny, ain't it?
You can add Tippett and Tortorella to the above as teams that play a very similar system to us. The difference, right now, is that Phoenix is working hard and executing better.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Not saying trotz needs to be fire, but I think it needs to be considered should we lose this series.

Another thing that is bugging me right now is our horrendous passing. Besides a few good passes our team turns the puck over way too much.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

We're 4th in goals per game thus far in the playoffs, 9th in goals against/game.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post

Where did I say it was easy? When we played Detroit in the past, we went down 2-0, then tied it up 2-2. Both times. Yes, we lost those series...because we couldn't win on the road...and we couldn't win an elimination game. We've since done both of those.

It's not easy. All I'm saying is that this pointing out "we've never _____" is useless. We're still a young franchise. 5 years in, it was "we've never been to the playoffs"...then it was "we've never won a playoff series"....then it was "we've never beaten Detroit in a playoff series". You get the picture. There will always be some seemingly impossible obstacle. I sure hope to hell our players are more confident than our fans.

I'm beginning to think some people think the Stanley Cup is easily attained. 29 other teams want it. 15 fight us for it. Vancouver and St. Louis still haven't won it.

As far as what to build on: we scored 3 goals. Yes, we let up 5...but our defense was awful. Faceoffs were more manageable, but our neutral zone play and turnovers were bad. Our forecheck was decent, but our backcheck was terrible.

We played a bad all-around game...but to say there's nothing to build on is false. I'd agree with you if we got shutout 5-0. I'd agree with you if we made Smith look invincible.

What we need to do is tighten up the defense and puck possession. The offense is there...at least enough to win us the game. 3 goals won us 4 games against Detroit. I fail to believe it's not enough to beat Phoenix if we actually play sound on our back end. How many of their goals tonight were off of great plays? I counted 2. 3 goals were absolutely nightmarish defensive breakdowns. Eliminate the breakdowns and we are on more even footing. We're giving them the advantage, and they're gladly taking it.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
We're 4th in goals per game thus far in the playoffs, 9th in goals against/game.
with teams like PHX, LA, STL, NYR, BOS, WAS.. im not sure thats saying much.

team defense and pekka have been the bigger problem this series rather than offense. i agree. the complete opposite of the 1st round.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Iron Duke

Was anybody else keeping count of how many times Spaling lost his stick tonight? He was awful. The one shift where he failed to get the puck all the way up ice, lost his stick, then ran into Klein at the blue line was cringe-worthy.