HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part IX: Draft day moves, and beyond

View Poll Results: If EDM drafts Yakapov should EDM trade or keep Hemsky?
Trade Hemsky 59 23.89%
Keep Hemsky 188 76.11%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
senorchang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
1) Yes. Now look at Luongo's contract. He's making 1M in the last season. I don't expect him to play the last year of that contract but if he did... and if he was given 3M in the last year of that contract would that be considered a raise just because he made more money than what he did in the last season? He's getting a raise because his average salary throughout the entirety of the contract is higher.
2) Yes. I suggested earlier in the year that someone would be crazy enough to sign Hemsky for 6M and that he he could turn into the next Gaborik. I probably said it half a dozen times. I don't feel it's in our best interest in rolling the dice on that one.
3) Yes. Again you're rolling the dice on a guy who hasn't had a good season for four years. He didn't just have a bad season. He's just had his forth bad season.
4) Yakupov and Hartikianen are better options. Yakupov can put the puck in the net and Hartikainen can provide a physical presence. Heck. Even Dustin Penner would be better. He's got decent hands, he's big and he stays healthy.
5) I'd rather have a decent player play 80 games than have a good player play 30 games.
6) That's just a matter of opinion. I believe most of what I've said has been based off of cold hard facts.
2. Hemsky would've fetched the same price elsewhere just as easily if not more. Be happy someone wanted to stay in Edmonton.
3. PPG player is bad? 3 seasons ago he put 66 points. Last 2 he put up ppg on a 30th place team. Terrible.
4. Obviously Yakupov is better than Hemsky, but Yakupov is probably gonna be better than hall or eberle. You're also forgetting that hemsky is of the better playmakers in the game. Hemsky>Harski and Penner.
5. How about a great player that plays 70~ games? his name is Ales Hemsky.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Nail and Nuge

Not to be rude, but could someone please change the title of the thread re: spelling of Yakupov's name? Slightly embarrassing to have a lengthy discussion about a potential Number One pick and mangle his name.

For the record- I am in the camp of "trade Hemsky" despite the poor optics, and trading low theories.

- Yakupov duplicates Hemsky in position 5-5 and on the PP ( half wall).
- Put Yakupov in a position to make a major impact, playing 1B/2A to our number one RW Eberle. Get rid of the prospect of dropping to the third line if Hemsky starts playing well.
- Remove any of the temptations of playing Yakupov out of position- a la failed Cole to LW disaster.

If our aim is to rebuild then commit to the process. Build with youth and surround them with beneficial players, not players who threaten their position and push them down the order.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
senorchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Dinkum View Post
Not to be rude, but could someone please change the title of the thread re: spelling of Yakupov's name? Slightly embarrassing to have a lengthy discussion about a potential Number One pick and mangle his name.

For the record- I am in the camp of "trade Hemsky" despite the poor optics, and trading low theories.

- Put Yakupov in a position to make a major impact, playing 1B/2A to our number one RW Eberle. Get rid of the prospect of dropping to the third line if Hemsky starts playing well.
- Remove any of the temptations of playing Yakupov out of position- a la failed Cole to LW disaster.

If our aim is to rebuild then commit to the process. Build with youth and surround them with beneficial players, not players who threaten their position and push them down the order.
There is no point in shipping him when his value is being downplayed so much. Hes worth more playing to us than a 2nd round pick.

Put Hemsky on LW, play him with Hall and Yakupov raise his value and fetch an asset that can contribute.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
1) Yes. Now look at Luongo's contract. He's making 1M in the last season. I don't expect him to play the last year of that contract but if he did... and if he was given 3M in the last year of that contract would that be considered a raise just because he made more money than what he did in the last season? He's getting a raise because his average salary throughout the entirety of the contract is higher.
2) Yes. I suggested earlier in the year that someone would be crazy enough to sign Hemsky for 6M and that he he could turn into the next Gaborik. I probably said it half a dozen times. I don't feel it's in our best interest in rolling the dice on that one.
3) Yes. Again you're rolling the dice on a guy who hasn't had a good season for four years. He didn't just have a bad season. He's just had his forth bad season.
4) Yakupov and Hartikianen are better options. Yakupov can put the puck in the net and Hartikainen can provide a physical presence. Heck. Even Dustin Penner would be better. He's got decent hands, he's big and he stays healthy.
5) I'd rather have a decent player play 80 games than have a good player play 30 games.
6) That's just a matter of opinion. I believe most of what I've said has been based off of cold hard facts.
1) We're arguing semantics and it really doesn't matter. 5M in salary or cap hit for 2 year isn't a hindrance for us.
2) Agree to disagree. I think it is worth rolling the dice on him. It is something a classy organization would do rather than just toss their guy to the wind.
3) You keep saying this and it isn't true. Here are his last 4 seasons
11/12- 69gp, 36p
10/11- 47gp, 42p
09/10- 22gp, 22p
08/09- 72gp, 66p
Out of his last 4, I would say he's has 1 bad season(coming off surgery), 2 injury plagued ones where he was still good when he played, and a good season.
4) You are so quick to write Hemsky off for a lack of points this year, but Hartikainen, who scored 32p in 51 AHL games and 5p in 17 NHL ones is ready to take over? I disagree quite vehemently.
5) Hemsky's shoulders are supposed to be repaired and he was looking like his old self near the end of the season. Should we also trade away Hall and Yakupov because they might get injured?
6) Yes it is a matter of opinion, but your's seems light on facts. Hartikainen and Paajarvi are not ready to make Hemsky redundant and I think you'd find few that agree with your opinion on that.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
nullterm

1. Draft Yakupov
2. Keep in mind Yakupov is a 1st year rookie, don't count on him being lights out for a few seasons.
3. Keep Hemsky and play him.
4. Worry about the rest AFTER Yakupov proves to be a better NHL player than Hemsky.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:12 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
He played 70 games this season.
He played 69 games this season and he played like an old hack when he was supposedly healthy.

There. I finally stated a point which was an opinion and not a fact. I feel he played like an old hack when he was healthy.

I don't believe that his shoulder was as strong as he said he was coming into the beginning of the season.

There's an opinion among a million facts against Hemsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
2. Hemsky would've fetched the same price elsewhere just as easily if not more. Be happy someone wanted to stay in Edmonton.
3. PPG player is bad? 3 seasons ago he put 66 points. Last 2 he put up ppg on a 30th place team. Terrible.
4. Obviously Yakupov is better than Hemsky, but Yakupov is probably gonna be better than hall or eberle. You're also forgetting that hemsky is of the better playmakers in the game. Hemsky>Harski and Penner.
5. How about a great player that plays 70~ games? his name is Ales Hemsky.

2) I agree. Someone would have taken the chance on him and paid him 5-6 million per year. But given our history of injuries and Hemsky's history with us, how can we afford to pay him five mill and count on him to play well throughout the majority of the season?
3) Again, three years ago, again a season highlighted by injuries. I can stand Hall missing 15-20 games per year because when he's in the line-up he makes us play like a playoff team. He completely changes the entire line-up. Hemsky doesn't do that.
4) To say he'll be better than Hall .... i think that's a bit premature. As Hall fills out and learns when to pick his spots through the maturity process, we'll see a slightly different character emerge.
5) That was four years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
4) You are so quick to write Hemsky off for a lack of points this year, but Hartikainen, who scored 32p in 51 AHL games and 5p in 17 NHL ones is ready to take over? I disagree quite vehemently.
5) Hemsky's shoulders are supposed to be repaired and he was looking like his old self near the end of the season. Should we also trade away Hall and Yakupov because they might get injured?
6) Yes it is a matter of opinion, but your's seems light on facts. Hartikainen and Paajarvi are not ready to make Hemsky redundant and I think you'd find few that agree with your opinion on that.
4) I don't expect Hartikainen to provide offence. I expect him to do what Ryan Smyth did when he as younger. Forecheck, play the body, pressure the opposition and stand in front of the net. I think that'll work wonders for Yakupov and Gagner.
5) Hemsky hasn't been an impact player on the Oil squad for a while. When he was healthy during those years you mentioned, we still stank. Healthy Hall is an impact player. The team is noticeably better with him in the line-up.
6) If Paajarvi starts next year in Edmonton I'll be infuriated.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:23 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
4) I don't expect Hartikainen to provide offence. I expect him to do what Ryan Smyth did when he as younger. Forecheck, play the body, pressure the opposition and stand in front of the net. I think that'll work wonders for Yakupov and Gagner.
5) Hemsky hasn't been an impact player on the Oil squad for a while. When he was healthy during those years you mentioned, we still stank. Healthy Hall is an impact player. The team is noticeably better with him in the line-up.
6) If Paajarvi starts next year in Edmonton I'll be infuriated.
Ok, slowly whittling down your arguments. Hopefully this response will finish them off.

4) Ryan Smyth scored 39g as a rookie. Hartikainen wouldn't even get to half of that if he played a top 6 role here next season. How many chances did Teemu wiff on during his stint up here? He flat out isn't ready to be handed a top 6 role just because he had one 2g game. We need someone to get points on the 2nd line so Yakupov doesn't have to carry the line as a rookie.
5) I sure noticed Hemsky in his 47 and 22 game seasons. He was one of our best players in near every one of those games. The team is noticeably better with a healthy Hemsky in the lineup too.
6) Paajarvi in the AHL = 0.735ppg and you'll be infuriated if he plays in Edmonton.
Hartikainen in the AHL = 0.627ppg and he should be gifted a top 6 role.
Care to rethink your stance?

Old
04-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Ok, slowly whittling down your arguments. Hopefully this response will finish them off.

4) Ryan Smyth scored 39g as a rookie. Hartikainen wouldn't even get to half of that if he played a top 6 role here next season. How many chances did Teemu wiff on during his stint up here? He flat out isn't ready to be handed a top 6 role just because he had one 2g game. We need someone to get points on the 2nd line so Yakupov doesn't have to carry the line as a rookie.
5) I sure noticed Hemsky in his 47 and 22 game seasons. He was one of our best players in near every one of those games. The team is noticeably better with a healthy Hemsky in the lineup too.
6) Paajarvi in the AHL = 0.735ppg and you'll be infuriated if he plays in Edmonton.
Ryan smyth scored 2 goals in 49 games as a rookie Harti has already scored 5 in 25 games and still is a rookie

Old
04-30-2012, 12:37 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

I think people are just tired of losing and are looking for answers.

The status quo (re: vets) arent cutting it.

I would like to see Paajarvi get a full year in OKC. Im almost positive he will either be given a spot on the Oilers to start the year and/or he will be hopping back and forth between Edmonton and OKC.

Hartikainen should have another year of seasoning in OKC as well.

Hemsky should be dealt at the deadline, if he isnt hurt again, and hopefully he produces so we could actually get something for him.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:38 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:

4) I don't think you understand how I want to see Hartikainen used. We need a physical presence on Yakupov and Gagner's line. Yakupov has filled out well for his size considering his age, but we can't expect him to be the guy creating the space with the physical play. Hemsky isn't that guy either. If he creates that space in the corners and along the boards and stands in front of the net his contributions will be significant and he'll score more points than you think.
5) Not this year.
6) Paajarvi needs to score more goals. We all know he can pass the puck. I want him to work on his shot, his patience with the puck and his timing before he plays in the NHL again. Hartikainen can't be expected to evolve nearly as much as Paajarvi has the space to evolve. I'll be right right pissed off if Paajarvi starts the 12/13 season with the Oilers unless he really goes on a goal scoring tear in the playoffs. 1 assist and no goals in four games isn't very promising.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Ryan smyth scored 2 goals in 49 games as a rookie Harti has already scored 5 in 25 games and still is a rookie
Thanks for the correction. But it is 5 goals in 29 games over 2 seasons for Teemu. Smyth potted 39 when he was 20/21 in his 2nd year.

Hartikainen still won't come close to 20 next season in a top 6 role for us next season. He needs more time on the farm, imo. Ideally I'd like to see him do a 50/50 split next season when we have injuries to our top 9 wingers.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:51 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. But it is 5 goals in 29 games over 2 seasons for Teemu. Smyth potted 39 when he was 20/21 in his 2nd year.

Hartikainen still won't come close to 20 next season in a top 6 role for us next season. He needs more time on the farm, imo. Ideally I'd like to see him do a 50/50 split next season when we have injuries to our top 9 wingers.
Unless we make a trade for a power forward or find one via free agency, we'll likely have the physically weakest top 6 in the NHL.

Like it or not, we need Hartikianen in the top six. Penner could be another option, but would he want to come back to Edmonton and would we want him back in Edmonton?

Old
04-30-2012, 12:59 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I think people are just tired of losing and are looking for answers.

The status quo (re: vets) arent cutting it.

I would like to see Paajarvi get a full year in OKC. Im almost positive he will either be given a spot on the Oilers to start the year and/or he will be hopping back and forth between Edmonton and OKC.

Hartikainen should have another year of seasoning in OKC as well.

Hemsky should be dealt at the deadline, if he isnt hurt again, and hopefully he produces so we could actually get something for him.
I agree with a lot of this. In terms of the vets issue, I think if we don't play Horcoff and Smyth/(whoever replaces him) as our top 2 forwards, we'll do better overall. So long as the coach we have is planning on living and dying with the kids, our crappy vets won't have as much of a chance to drag us down.

I do think Paajarvi could force his way into the top 9 though. He did have 15g and 34p as a rookie, and he wouldn't be the first player to have a sophomore slump and then rebound.

Teemu I would like to see do a 50/50 split. Magnus too if he doesn't blow the doors off in camp.

And yes, trading Hemsky at next deadline would make sense, if he's had a good season and we're sure we've got a replacement. But right now, he has little value and is more important to our team than whatever middle of the road prospect + pick we could get for him atm.

Quote:
4) I don't think you understand how I want to see Hartikainen used. We need a physical presence on Yakupov and Gagner's line. Yakupov has filled out well for his size considering his age, but we can't expect him to be the guy creating the space with the physical play. Hemsky isn't that guy either. If he creates that space in the corners and along the boards and stands in front of the net his contributions will be significant and he'll score more points than you think.
5) Not this year.
6) Paajarvi needs to score more goals. We all know he can pass the puck. I want him to work on his shot, his patience with the puck and his timing before he plays in the NHL again. Hartikainen can't be expected to evolve nearly as much as Paajarvi has the space to evolve. I'll be right right pissed off if Paajarvi starts the 12/13 season with the Oilers unless he really goes on a goal scoring tear in the playoffs. 1 assist and no goals in four games isn't very promising.
4) If he's got a role in the top 6, he'll be expected to supply points. If all you want is a guy to crash and bang and fight along the boards while adding nothing to the scoresheet, we've got Eager and Jones for that. And are you sure we can't count on Yakupov to be physical?

5) Nope not this year. Like I said he was bad this year. He's only been an impact player for us near every other year he's been here(maybe less so in his first 2 seasons). But other players have had bad years after returning from surgery and then bounced back and I see no reason why Hemsky can't do the same.
6) I agree Paajarvi needs to get back to his goal scoring rookie ways if he's going to start the season here. And if he isn't ready in camp, send him down. But he did play well as a rookie, and could easily return to that form again.

Quote:
Unless we make a trade for a power forward or find one via free agency, we'll likely have the physically weakest top 6 in the NHL.

Like it or not, we need Hartikianen in the top six. Penner could be another option, but would he want to come back to Edmonton and would we want him back in Edmonton?
I am all over the Penner idea. I think we could lure him back and that he'd be an upgrade on Smyth. But no we don't need Teemu in the top 6, until he can produce. Otherwise it's just another Jones on the top line situation.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:11 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:

4) If he's got a role in the top 6, he'll be expected to supply points. If all you want is a guy to crash and bang and fight along the boards while adding nothing to the scoresheet, we've got Eager and Jones for that. And are you sure we can't count on Yakupov to be physical?

5) Nope not this year. Like I said he was bad this year. He's only been an impact player for us near every other year he's been here(maybe less so in his first 2 seasons). But other players have had bad years after returning from surgery and then bounced back and I see no reason why Hemsky can't do the same.
6) I agree Paajarvi needs to get back to his goal scoring rookie ways if he's going to start the season here. And if he isn't ready in camp, send him down. But he did play well as a rookie, and could easily return to that form again.

I am all over the Penner idea. I think we could lure him back and that he'd be an upgrade on Smyth. But no we don't need Teemu in the top 6, until he can produce. Otherwise it's just another Jones on the top line situation.
4)I know that Yakupov plays a physical game, but I don't want him to be counted on to be the main supplier of that in his rookie season. That reeks of danger. Considering the injury troubles we've had over the past decade I don't think you can blame me.

Eager and Jones don't play the body often enough. THey've either lost their mojo or Renney has officially declawed them.

5) So lets say you're right. Hemsky comes in and has a great year. We keep Yakupov on the third line until we get offered a suitable package for Hemsky?

6) So if we sign Penner, what's the point in keeping Hemsky? Would you prefer Yakupov plays with *pukes* Horcoff and one of Smyth or Jones? *Pukes* That sound's just downright embarrassing for a 1st overall pick in his rookie season.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
1) We're arguing semantics and it really doesn't matter. 5M in salary or cap hit for 2 year isn't a hindrance for us.
2) Agree to disagree. I think it is worth rolling the dice on him. It is something a classy organization would do rather than just toss their guy to the wind.
3) You keep saying this and it isn't true. Here are his last 4 seasons
11/12- 69gp, 36p
10/11- 47gp, 42p
09/10- 22gp, 22p
08/09- 72gp, 66p
Out of his last 4, I would say he's has 1 bad season(coming off surgery), 2 injury plagued ones where he was still good when he played, and a good season.
Another thing to consider is he was 15th out of all wingers in ppg since the lockout coming into this season. Do you know who was immediatly behind him? Rick Nash, the 8 million dollar franchise player.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
4)I know that Yakupov plays a physical game, but I don't want him to be counted on to be the main supplier of that in his rookie season. That reeks of danger. Considering the injury troubles we've had over the past decade I don't think you can blame me.

Eager and Jones don't play the body often enough. THey've either lost their mojo or Renney has officially declawed them.

5) So lets say you're right. Hemsky comes in and has a great year. We keep Yakupov on the third line until we get offered a suitable package for Hemsky?

6) So if we sign Penner, what's the point in keeping Hemsky? Would you prefer Yakupov plays with *pukes* Horcoff and one of Smyth or Jones? *Pukes* That sound's just downright embarrassing for a 1st overall pick in his rookie season.
Believe me my freind, Eager has always been useless. Renney didn't do anything, Eager seems to think he's some kind of power forward actual hockey player. If he was a goon he'd be skilled as far as that goes, but this isn't the first time he's gone prima donna on an org. and felt he should be treated like some kind of talent.

Why does Yakupov have to play on the third? Hemsky for what it's worth has played LW before, Yakupov may be able to, and Eberle can. Adjustments can be made.

Hall and Eberle spent their first year with Horcoff, and they did all right. Horcoff isn't ideal, but it's not unusual to have a Mike Fisher on the 1st line and thats the exact type of player Horcoff is. He's climbing a mountain everynight, and he's getting more and more raged as time goes on but he is far from a detriment to this team. Things went downhill when we got rid of Peca, Reasoner, Brodziak, Stoll all in the span of a couple years, that's no coincidence. MacTavish also helped him out alot by giving players roles they could succeed in, Horcoff is in a role he can't have success in and part of that is because there are players on our team that seem to have no role at all. MacT always had a guy who could help with the toughs and Dzone faceoffs (see above), instead of trusting Horcoff with it all. Even if the guy got beat up a little bit it was better than neutering a key player, and since he's been gone we don't seem to recognize that. At least thats my two cents.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:37 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
1) Going from 4.1M per year to 5M per year is a raise. Capgeek is great.
2) When was that? He hasn't reached either of those stats in four years.
3) Playing well and not putting up points. What's he paid to do? Win face-offs? Block shots? Hit people? Stay out of the penalty box? Why don't you actually go look at his stats for the season.
4) An 8th rounder is a tad bit sarcastic, but I don't expect to get anything significant for him.
5) Yes, there's isn't a UFA on the market who we could sign for 5M or less who could play as well as Hemsky did 4 years ago. Wake up. This is 2012. Not 2008.
6) No. Yakupov is an incredible replacement for Hemsky. He will play in the 12/13 season. He's already Hemsky's size and he hasn't A) Had time to put on weight over the off-season. B) Get in better shape for the columbine. C) Gone through training camp.

Please think things out before you try to nuke me.
1) That's not really a raise when you consider the term of the deal. Furthermore, he easily would have gotten more on the open market (injury comparables: Connolly, Gaborik).
2) So at 28 he has suddenly regressed? The only reason I could see for that would be his injuries accumulating but I doubt we would have re-signed him if we thought he would be crippled by injuries the way he was this season.
3) He's paid to take some pressure off of the other offensive guys. Last year was a poor one for him, but if he can return to his previous form then he will be a valuable asset for the team moving forward. He will never be "the guy" on this team anymore but we need that secondary scoring.
4) He's got a fantastic, team-friendly contract. He would be worth a fair bit in a trade, provided that prospective teams can assess his medical fitness (and he passes their tests).
5) If he returns to his 2008 form, we still got an absolute steal at 5m. If he plays like he did in 2012, then 5m is a bit much, but the deal he got is a reflection of his considerable upside.
6) Yakupov is an incredible replacement for basically every 2nd line winger in the league. We could use Hemsky's talents to help with secondary scoring. A top 6 featuring Yakupov, Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, RNH, and Hall features enough talent that teams will need 2 shutdown lines to contain them.

Give Hemsky skilled linemates and I believe he will excel.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Dinkum View Post

1st yes I will change the spelling.
2nd I agree with the point on Cole and pushing our young players down in the order. That is what happened to PRV this year. We got Smyth and it left no place to play him to the point where he sat a lot and was playing on the 3rd and 4th line when he should of played on the 1st or 2nd line. It pissed me off all season, they would put PRV on one of the top 2 lines to start the game but not give him a chance.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:

I know Harti won't be happy with this but give him one more complete year in the AHL playing top minutes in all situations. If he is producing he will be the 1st call up when we have injuries. If Harti can be a 20 goal scorer in the future playing top 6 minutes and playing tough I will be happy with that as it is his bulldog style that will help out other players on his line.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:

I would not go with Penner and allow our young guys to earn their time. If we draft Yak we have Hall; RNH; Eberle; Yak; Gagner; and Hemsky in our top 6. Give it time and see how it goes and then make changes from there. You know there will be injuries so players like Harti and PRV will start in the minors but will get called up if their play warrents it.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Halibut

I said trade Hemsky, but it doesnt have to be right away.

Keep him through the season and wait until Yakupov shows he deserves the icetime. Then you have options to keep Hemsky or trade him if the right option comes along.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Hemsky will get traded

but he will help cushion Yaks NHL arrival for two years

Old
04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Aerchon

Where is the only if and when it makes sense option?

If we draft and keep Nail. Which most people are saying is the only true option. The writing is on the wall for Hemsky. They will not be able to sign him going forward. No way no how. Nuge's contract is up the same time as his. And then Nail will be the following year. Even with just Nuge the cap situation would be bleak for Hemsky. And unfortunatly our RW depth, which was a weakness, is now looking Omfg rediculisly strong right now. Reider looks great. Pitlick is playing the RW and having success. And on top of that Nail and Eberle...

I hope Hemsky plays his ass off like he did towards the end of the year. Barring more injuries I see Hemsky getting nothing less than 60 points next year. Really should be 80+ if he plays like he has in the past but with the much better talent around him.

Get his value as high as possible and trade him when the return is a great first rounder + piece or prospect, a top 2 defenseman, a center with size/grit, or any of the gaping holes Edmonton needs filled. Most likely you trade him at the beggining of his last contract year or at the deadline if we are out of the playoff picture (shouldnt happen). Or if we are doing very well take him on a cup run and hope he signs for dirt cheap to stay in edmonton (very unlikely).

But our depth and his play style and size makes him a very tradeable asset. If we can package Hemsky and Gagner for a big, gritty, talented center or top 2 defenseman both will be gone so fast their heads will be spinning.

On another note. The last year of Hemsky's contract really will be the last year we do not have cap issues. With some major luck that should be the year we make a good push into the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Jamin

WHy are oiler fans always wanting to trade without a replacement. What if Yakupov doesnt make it out of training camp and the team has traded Hemsky. then Jones is the 2nd line winger.

Give Hemsky a year. If he plays good you can keep him/increase his trade value. If he plays bad well then its only a year and some team will take the risk on 1 year of Hemsky.

Anyone read lowetides blog where he sums up every players season? Hemsky is still playing the toughs allowing Eberle to face softer opposition. IMO thats valuable, rather have Yakupov and Eberle play lesser players while Hemsky plays the toughs even if it effects his scoring

Old
04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
in 2006, PIT should have drafted Wishart, Okposo or Frolik instead of Staal because they already had Crosby and Malkin as centers.

Or they should have traded Malkin for a Dman since they were getting one of Staal or Toews or Backstrom.

PHI should have traded Giroux when they acquired Schenn and drafted Couturier.

Unless Yakupov is expected to score 90-100 points in NHL next season we should keep Hemsky.

Closed Thread