HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Huberdeau, Markstrom and another rookie or two? Is it standard to have that many first full year NHL players on a team? I think they'll stop at Huby and Marky. Tallon isn't going to rush our prospects. It's been stated and demonstrated many times before.
Look at Philly. Their players played a great role in their offense (Couturier, Schenn, Read)

But I doubt that Tallon is going to rush anyone.

Old
04-29-2012, 07:16 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Huberdeau, Markstrom and another rookie or two? Is it standard to have that many first full year NHL players on a team? I think they'll stop at Huby and Marky. Tallon isn't going to rush our prospects. It's been stated and demonstrated many times before.
Your point is valid if we just focus on next season. I loved the character of this year's team, but note that we were still a marginal playoff team that clinched on the last day. I am in favor of injecting more youth even if it makes us less competitive in the short term. Adding Markstrom as a back up goalie and Huberdeau does not qualify as the youth movement that Tallon promised.

I agree if our prospects are not NHL ready then that is a different story, but surely some of the prospects from the 2009 draft and earlier are ready.

Old
04-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

With all the uncertainty surrounding Garrison and people thinking Ellerby could be traded does anyone think that Colby Robak could get a shot next year? Not sure how the pairing would look though. Don't think Kulikov should be on the same pair as Campbell and might be too soon for Guds to be on the 1st pair. But if Garrison does go that would give us something like:

Campbell - Guds
Kulikov - Weaver
Jovanovski - Robak
Strachon

Would be disappointing to see Garrison go as I think he is a very important part of the team and they never played the same without him. Would also be putting a lot of pressure on Guds to perform and increase the accuracy of his shot.

Old
04-29-2012, 09:38 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

looking over the ufa list a couple of good players pop out on the list for me. The key is replacing deadweight in our lineup with solid offensive players.

1. Andrei Kostitsyn

2. Jiri Hudler

3. David Jones

4. And my personal favorite is PA Parentau-This guy continuously puts up incredible numbers on a terrible team.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
looking over the ufa list a couple of good players pop out on the list for me. The key is replacing deadweight in our lineup with solid offensive players.

1. Andrei Kostitsyn

2. Jiri Hudler

3. David Jones

4. And my personal favorite is PA Parentau-This guy continuously puts up incredible numbers on a terrible team.
Whoa? Parenteau is a free agent? I think with the way we have been playing we might be able to ink him to a contract..Get rid of some guys like Santo, Matthias (since he has no offensive abilities) other than playing hard every shift..

Old
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
homegrizown

i would think resigning sammy is really the only ufa we might go for. i know tallon does not want to rush the kids, but i felt last season howden had a good chance of making the team if not for the concussion.

i know everyone loves kulikov but he and our first are our best trade chips. and if they can bring us a solid young 30 goal scorer i think tallon really considers it. we have a ton of d prospects. i would love to try and get a dustin brown/bobby ryan but i see other teams being able to offer way more then we could. if not try and sign parenteau/parise.

we definitely are in need of 2 top 6 forwards i think hubby is 1 then adding another via trade of free agency

flash-weiss-steeger
hubby-?-upshall
bergy-goc- sammy
kopecky-matthias-skille

garrison-campbell
kuli-gudbranson
weaver-jovo
stratchan

theodore
markstrom

Old
04-29-2012, 01:21 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Parise, Parenteau, Wellwood (Might actually be a decent fit on this team, he is a really good player.), Semin (Another good fit), Hudler, Holmstrom, Benn (RFA, but a good fit too), E.Kane, ROR, T.J. Oshie (Would love to pick him up), Foligno...

Even Ray Whitney would be a decent fit for one year, considering how well he has played.

Just names that popped out at me, didn't list any D-Men because we are pretty solid on D.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Who's expecting more than Huber and Marks to make the team realistically?
Can't be bothered to read through the thread again, but I think I saw some posters embracing the idea of bringing up Howden and Bjugstad, and maybe some others... Anyway, the purpose of my post was also to point out that we shouldn't expect even those two (Marky and Hubey) to be very important pieces next year. If they are, fine, if not, that needs to be fine aswell.

And to those that don't want to see Steeger back - don't know what's gotten into you. I trust he will be one of our most important forwards again next year. Tallon will not let him go.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Hasek39

What do you guys think about this scenario, I think it is fairly realistic assuming that we have the cap space to do it.

At the draft we trade Matthias and Ellerby to Dallas for Ribeiro and maybe a late pick if we can get it. We re-sign Garrison and Barch. Give long-term contracts to RFAs Kuilkov and Versteeg. We let Samuelsson, Sturm, Clemmensen, Wolski, and Madden walk as FAs.

In the FA market we sign David Jones for two years at 3 million per year and Dan Ellis to a two year contract for around 1-1.5 million a year.

Our lineup next year would look like this:

Fleischman/Weiss/Versteeg
Huberdeau/Ribeiro/D.Jones
Bergenheim/Goc/Upshall
Kopecky/Smithson/Skille

Healthy scratches/AHL call-up: Barch, Bradley, Santorelli

Garrison/Campbell
Gudbranson/Kuilkov
Weaver/Jovonaski

Healthy scratches/AHL call-up: Stratchan, Robak

Theodore
Ellis

I think that Ribeiro would be the perfect center to compliment Huberdeau given his skill level and french-canadian heritage. Also, Ribeiro provides us a boost in the shootout department and is one of the most skilled stickhandlers in the league. He is signed for another 2 years at $5 milllion and is in his lower 30s. Therefore, his contract would run out around the time that Bjugstad and/or Shore may be ready to play in the NHL.

David Jones would provide a gritty element to the second line and has shown to be capable of scoring 20+ goals a year.

As for Markstrom I think that he would benefit in having another full year in the AHL. Dan Ellis is a solid backup/fill in starter like Clemmensen. When Theodore's contract runs out, Ellis could provide a solid one to two punch with Markstrom until Markstrom is ready to fully take over the reins.

I would love to get rid of Santorelli and Bradley but that may not be feasible unless we buy them out. Therefore, I think we could keep them as depth players and ride out the remaining year left on each's contract. I would also prefer to see players like Petrovic, Robak, Howden and Shore play in the AHL next year. Also, I would like to see Bjugstad get another year in at Minnesota and come to the AHL or NHL the year after.

I believe that we would be picking at around 25 in the draft this year due to winning our division. I think players such as D Slater Koekkoek, D Dalton Thrower, D Hampus Lindholm, F Martin Frk, F Cristoval Neeves, and F Tomas Hertl would be likely targets.

Last edited by Hasek39: 04-29-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old
04-29-2012, 02:42 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek39 View Post
Give long-term contracts to RFAs Kuilkov and Versteeg.
Kulikov, yes. Versteeg, hell no. I'm gonna ****ing lose it if he gets a eternity contract.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Kulikov, yes. Versteeg, hell no. I'm gonna ****ing lose it if he gets a eternity contract.
I think Versteeg gets a four year deal, around $16 million. He is going to have hip surgery in the offseason, so we know there was a problem with him during the last part of the season. He is a skilled 20-25 goal scorer, which for a team like us, is a necessity. No way does Tallon move him.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Versteeg, hell no. I'm gonna ****ing lose it if he gets a eternity contract.
We need some talented foward on the team. We can't only have some gritty but offesively challenged forward à la Kopecky&Skille.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I think Versteeg gets a four year deal, around $16 million. He is going to have hip surgery in the offseason, so we know there was a problem with him during the last part of the season. He is a skilled 20-25 goal scorer, which for a team like us, is a necessity. No way does Tallon move him.
yep, that's about right,

Old
04-29-2012, 03:38 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I think Versteeg gets a four year deal, around $16 million.
4 million caphit sounds about right. But 2 or 3 years please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
We need some talented foward on the team. We can't only have some gritty but offesively challenged forward à la Kopecky&Skille.
I'm not saying that we have to get rid of him, just that if DT overpays him I'm gonna lose it.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Now that the season is over. Its time to dissect our players and how we can improve this summer.

MY ANALYSIS IN BOLD

Take a quick look at our teams cap. These are our UFA's this summer:

Mikael Samuelsson-2,500,000 (if FA market is cold for us, bring him back for 2-3 years; can still play 2nd line minutes be great with: Goc and Bergie...or a new line with Weiss and Huber... who would SHOOT! the puck though on that line

Marco Sturm-2,250,000 (let him walk)

Krys Barch-835,000 (let him walk..he can be replaced easily if need be)

John Madden-600,000 Option C tier.. one year deal at most after FA period)

Jason Garrison-675,000 If he cost's more than 4.2-4.5 for more than four years, it was a blast but see you later)

Scott Clemmensen-1,200,000 ummm... look no further to my avatar, and who I believe in the most to answer the question here. Clemm was really solid this year, and surprised the heck out of me

Our RFA's Include

Wojtek Wolski-3,800,000 Maybe for around 1.7-2.5 on a one year....if not see you later

Kris Versteeg-3,083,000 He was frustrating at times, but he was injured too. I'm hoping for no more than a four year term

Dmitry Kulikov-1,325,000 He has a higher ceiling than Sexy Bomb, and should be given more term and money than Garrison. I would be happy with 4-5 year deal around 4.5 mil a season. Lock him up long term!

Keaton Ellerby-787,500 I'm in the minority, but want to see him back. He skates like the wind in a bottom six pairing. However, I agree he probably will not be back if BOTH Garrison and Kulikov are coming back.

Santorelli has to go, does not fit at all on the bottom six. I like Skille slightly over Smithson and Bradley for last forward spot... but like to see those two back if possible. Our centre position is our strongest position up front if we can sign (likely trade) for a TOP 6 centre. It would be nice to slot Weiss line as a secondary scoring line going into next summer, but that still might be a year away with Huberdeau and others shaping into form.

Flash-Weiss-Steeg
Huberdeau-FA-Sammy
Bergie-Goc-Kopecky
Upshall-Matthias-Skille

*Bradley/Smithson

Campbell-Kulikov
FA/Ellerby (unless Garrison is re-signed)-Gudbranson
Jovo-Weaver

*Robak/Petrovic/VET

Theo/Markstrom

If it becomes a bidding war for Garrison, I would much rather let him walk. I don't see Suter signing here. It would be nice to do a sign/trade if possibe with Garrison for a top six forward. Jovo's contract if it could be moved (for ugly forward contract in return...maybe not Gomez ugly...but you get my point) would be nice because our young Dmen are ready to jump into the everyday lineup by mid season or sooner.

Last edited by CanadianPantherFan: 04-29-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old
04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
He was great before his injury. He admitted his hip has bothered him since february

Old
04-29-2012, 04:40 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

This thread reminds me of all the talk before the trade deadline. I think the only thing I'm going to be able to reliably predict is that Tallon will make a move that will surprise us.

Old
04-29-2012, 08:43 PM
WhalerPanther

Send a message via Yahoo to WhalerPanther
I like the trade idea with Dallas for Ribiero and also would like to see the Panthers take a run at P.A. Parenteau. He would fit in very nicely on this team. And to clear something up, I mentioned being disappointed in Kulikov's play in the playoffs, but nowhere did I say I hated the guy. I however wouldn't hesitate to move him as long as Garrison was resigned and if Kuli brought back a top 6 scorer. The Panthers have the depth with Strachan, Ellerby, Robak and Petrovic to make up for Kuli if he brings us some much needed offense.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
This thread reminds me of all the talk before the trade deadline. I think the only thing I'm going to be able to reliably predict is that Tallon will make a move that will surprise us.
Hey, you stole my line!

I agree wholeheartedly.

This thread will look silly in September.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek39 View Post
What do you guys think about this scenario, I think it is fairly realistic assuming that we have the cap space to do it.

At the draft we trade Matthias and Ellerby to Dallas for Ribeiro and maybe a late pick if we can get it. We re-sign Garrison and Barch. Give long-term contracts to RFAs Kuilkov and Versteeg. We let Samuelsson, Sturm, Clemmensen, Wolski, and Madden walk as FAs.

In the FA market we sign David Jones for two years at 3 million per year and Dan Ellis to a two year contract for around 1-1.5 million a year.

Our lineup next year would look like this:

Fleischman/Weiss/Versteeg
Huberdeau/Ribeiro/D.Jones
Bergenheim/Goc/Upshall
Kopecky/Smithson/Skille

Healthy scratches/AHL call-up: Barch, Bradley, Santorelli

Garrison/Campbell
Gudbranson/Kuilkov
Weaver/Jovonaski

Healthy scratches/AHL call-up: Stratchan, Robak

Theodore
Ellis

As for Markstrom I think that he would benefit in having another full year in the AHL. Dan Ellis is a solid backup/fill in starter like Clemmensen. When Theodore's contract runs out, Ellis could provide a solid one to two punch with Markstrom until Markstrom is ready to fully take over the reins.

Why should we sign Ellis...Why not give Clemmensen another year here? Still, my guess is Markstrom will backstop behind Theodore.
If he advances even more with Rampage during the playoffs, I expect that to be happen more likely

And I still think there is a reason that Strachan was signed for a One year contract. Either Garrison gets not resigned or Ellerby will be shipped off with Santorelli ..I think we may see a surprised trade by Tallon

Old
04-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I'd love to have Ribeiro but he sort of beats around the bush of our biggest problem, which is needing a pure sniper. He'd be a great step in the right direction though. Filthy hands and immediately the #1 C.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
ShootIt

Would like to get Riberio, but I doubt Dallas will trade him off for so little.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Now that the season is over. Its time to dissect our players and how we can improve this summer.

Take a quick look at our teams cap. These are our UFA's this summer:

Mikael Samuelsson-2,500,000 - keep up to 3M
Marco Sturm-2,250,000 - lose
Krys Barch-835,000 - lose
John Madden-600,000 - lose (no criticism of him, but he's probably set to retire at this point)
Jason Garrison-675,000 - KEEP! worth paying 1.2M for a 2-year deal (keep him hungry)
Scott Clemmensen-1,200,000 - lose, he's good but not starting material and we need to get Markstrom into the NHL splitting time with a vet like Theo.

Our RFA's Include
Wojtek Wolski-3,800,000 - he's not going to get a contract like that from anyone, offer him $1.5M and if he goes, oh well. If he signs, look to trade him.
Kris Versteeg-3,083,000 - keep, he's priced about right and over league average I think, so offer him the same amount for 2-3 years
Dmitry Kulikov-1,325,000 - keep, offer minimum 10% raise 3 year deal
Keaton Ellerby-787,500 - keep, no big raise, should be $900k or so.
My thoughts on the matter.

04-30-2012, 09:33 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Quote:
Jason Garrison-675,000 - KEEP! worth paying 1.2M for a 2-year deal (keep him hungry)

Kris Versteeg-3,083,000 - keep, he's priced about right and over league average I think, so offer him the same amount for 2-3 years
My thoughts on the matter.
G52 is getting atleast 4.5 million. If he doesn't get it here, somewhere else he will. Personally, since we have the cap space- I'd offer him a 2 year 12 million (6 million caphit) deal. He has a very short window to make his retirement policy, and he's more likely to take a paycut in the next deal if he's already made his millions.

Steeg, we can't offer him the same amount. RFA's are always entitled for a raise, and the qualifying offer (which he has no reason to accept) is a few 100k more than he's making now. IIRC it's like 10% more or something from his previous salary.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
What he said has truth. 94 points won't win us a division although it would get us a playoff spot. And too the people who keep bringing up Semin and Parise, there's 29 other teams in the race for those players so our chances are next to zero.
I wouldn't think that way anymore - the playoff drought is broken and Florida's future prospects are for better, not worse. Now is the time that high end free agents looking to win the Cup may well look at Florida as a promising destination.

Closed Thread