HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Let's talk about the expansion franchises and how they have progressed...

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 01:48 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Let's talk about the expansion franchises and how they have progressed...

It's been 5 years now (1999) since Nashville has come into the league setting off the first franchise expansion since 1991 I believe. I could be wrong but my head hurts at the moment. The question is now, how have these franchise progressed. Has one done better than the other? Or have they progressed about the same?

IMO here's my rankings I gave each team:

NOTE: Rankings are based on players younger than 30.

Goaltending:
1. Atlanta
2. Columbus
3a. Minnesota
3b. Nashville

Centers:
1. Minnesota
2a. Atlanta
2b. Nashville
3. Columbus

Wingers:
1. Minnesota
2. Atlanta
3. Columbus
4. Nashville

Defense:
1. Nashville
2. Atlanta
3. Columbus
4. Minnesota

(EDIT: Sorry I had the points and didn't explain them. Don't need too)

(Also another note: I didn't do coaching or how healthy the franchise is but the players within the franchise. I would do the coaching and how healthy but I would be killed even more)

Old
11-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
It's been 5 years now (1999) since Nashville has come into the league setting off the first franchise expansion since 1991 I believe. I could be wrong but my head hurts at the moment. The question is now, how have these franchise progressed. Has one done better than the other? Or have they progressed about the same?

IMO here's my rankings I gave each team:

Goaltending:
1. Atlanta
2. Columbus
3a. Minnesota
3b. Nashville

Centers:
1. Minnesota
2a. Atlanta
2b. Nashville
3. Columbus

Wingers:
1. Minnesota
2. Atlanta
3. Columbus
4. Nashville

Defense:
1. Nashville
2. Atlanta
3. Columbus
4. Minnesota

(EDIT: Sorry I had the points and didn't explain them. Don't need too)

(Also another note: I didn't do coaching or how healthy the franchise is but the players within the franchise. I would do the coaching and how healthy but I would be killed even more)

Hmmm... I smell a bit of bias here.
How the hell could you rank the Wild centers ahead of the BJ's? I guess your head really does hurt.
Cassels and Marchant and Wright are better than what MIN, ATL and NSH have as their top 3 C's.
And if you are doing this without consideration of a teams injury issues... how is Minnesota better than Atlanta on the wings?
Kovalchuk, Heatley, Kozlov, McEachern are a better top 4 than Gaborik, Dupuis, Brunette and Daigle.

Care to explain why the Wild are better?

Old
11-22-2003, 02:41 PM
chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Care to explain why the Wild are better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala

Old
11-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum
Whoops missed that part... guess I just looked at the rankings.
What is the point of comparing them in relative to age if you can't count a teams top centers?
Plus I'd take Marc Savard over any of Minnesota's C's, so he still ranks them too high. Nashville is also better with Legwand and Arkhipov.
And as far as wings... Atlanta still is better than Minnesota, of players under 20.
So I don't really have to take back what I said.

Old
11-22-2003, 03:23 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Legwand has a lot of time in the league. I was split on him. He went down bad with an injury last year. Though I do think he'll be a very good center and I do tend to think that Nashville does have better centers, the Wild are stocked with solid centers through and through, it's just like Legwand, Bouchard needs time in the league and Koivu needs to come over to see how he is doing. Wallin is pretty good. But I guess your right, Legwand is pretty good.

The thing about Atlanta is that I was really debating on putting them over Minnesota. They have absolutely top flight wingers with Kovalchuk and Heatley, I don't know about some of there others like Vigier, that's why I posted this. But the thing is, with Heatley down all I hear is Kovalchuk. I don't know who they have in their depth that can be another pretty solid winger.

Why am I doing this? Because most of the guys when their draft picks (from about 5 years, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 for Nashville) are starting to get in their own and I like benching everything on 5 years. We'll see how Atlanta does after this year, Minnesota and Columbus after next year, those will be the 5 year marks for those teams.

Also if you look at it I think in the end, Nashville and Atlanta are better drafting organizations then Minnesota. Minnesota has a lot of problems on their blueline, they don't have their young goaltenders experience in the NHL, and their wingers are questionable but their talent is unmistakeable.

The thing is:

CENTERS:
1. Minnesota- Pierre- Marc Bouchard*, Marc Choiunard*, Jason Wiemer*, Mikko Koivu, Armands Berzins, Rickard Wallin, Dan Cavanaugh, Danny Irmen, Adam Couchraine

2a. Atlanta- Patrik Stefan*, Marc Savard*, Randy Robitaille*, Simon Gamache, Karl Stewart, Kamil Piros, Jim Slater, Derek MacKenzie, Denis Loginov, Rylan Kaip, Milan Grajic, Colin FitzRandolph, Brad Schell

2b. Nashville- David Legwand*, Scott Hartnell*, Denis Arkhipov*, Vernon Fiddler, Oliver Setzinger, Matt Koalska, Patrick Jarrett, Denis Platonov, Matt Hendricks, Grigory Shafigulin, Gustav Grasberg, Kaleb Betts, Zbynek Irgl

Is Hartnell a center or a winger? But yes I like Arkhipov and Legwand a lot. I also like Savard and I think Stefan and Piros could be something. But Minnesota has Bouchard (who has world class talent), Wallin (who has shown leadership, though they are reluctant to bring him up), and Koivu (who needs a lot of work but could be a pretty solid center). I guess they all could be tied for 1st in centers.

What I wanted to do is generate talks and what you thought about it. I don't want to get in a flaming war but I was trying to get into a discussion on how everyone's prospects are working out.

For Minnesota if everything goes right their top 2 lines would look like this:

Gaborik- Bouchard- Burns
Dupuis- Koivu- O'Sullivan

Burns could be subsituted with Foy.

Closed Thread