HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers "Blue-out" at Home

Old
04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Rangers "Blue-out" at Home

In reference to the blue shirts that were handed out in game 1. Not sure what to call it, "sea of blue"? "blue out"? But do the Rangers normally do this in the second round and beyond? I don't recall them doing this in the 08' playoffs in the second round. Whatever, either way I love it! I think the mass blue really gets the fans feeling a sense of unity. Game 1 sounded awesome. I'm assuming that MSG will keep doing this for the remainder of the playoffs. Hopefully this becomes a tradition.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

vCash: 500
yes we should do it again, Broadway "Blue" Out

goalie dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:37 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

ROCK DA RED
I rather have a blow out...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
In reference to the blue shirts that were handed out in game 1. Not sure what to call it, "sea of blue"? "blue out"? But do the Rangers normally do this in the second round and beyond? I don't recall them doing this in the 08' playoffs in the second round. Whatever, either way I love it! I think the mass blue really gets the fans feeling a sense of unity. Game 1 sounded awesome. I'm assuming that MSG will keep doing this for the remainder of the playoffs. Hopefully this becomes a tradition.
They handed out the shirts along with the rally towels only for game 1 of each round so far. And I don't think the atmosphere yesterday was that great up until the Kreider goal, then it got really loud and crazy in there. A lot of it had to do with the quick turnaround from game 7 and that it was an afternoon game.

04-29-2012, 11:58 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
They handed out the shirts along with the rally towels only for game 1 of each round so far. And I don't think the atmosphere yesterday was that great up until the Kreider goal, then it got really loud and crazy in there. A lot of it had to do with the quick turnaround from game 7 and that it was an afternoon game.
And the fact that the game wasn't on MSG.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Things really picked up in the crowd after they killed the 5 on 3

Calad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Eh, you can't really tell watching on TV since MSG keeps the crowd in the dark. And I doubt the players really notice much, because again, the dark.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:47 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Eh, you can't really tell watching on TV since MSG keeps the crowd in the dark. And I doubt the players really notice much, because again, the dark.
Yeah except the game was on NBC lol

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Yeah except the game was on NBC lol
I meant the physical building MSG, not the TV channel. For what ever reason they don't light up the stands the way many other places do.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:58 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I meant the physical building MSG, not the TV channel. For what ever reason they don't light up the stands the way many other places do.
Because msg treats its events like the theater. The ice is the stage and is the focal point of the lights.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Because msg treats its events like the theater. The ice is the stage and is the focal point of the lights.
Makes sense. I'm personally too biased to objectively say which way is better, obviously I like the way MSG does it. The point related to this thread however is that because MSG does this most people at home watching the game aren't going to notice any sort of "blue out" in particular since you can't see the fans all that much. And the same goes for the players. That being said, I really don't give a **** myself. The only thing I want out of our crowd is a lot of positive energy (or negative directed at the other team). I don't really care if they're all wearing the same shirt or waving towels. Actually, I know if I manage to make it out to a game I'd be wearing a nyr jersey so those shirts better be pretty nice if I'm going to be covering it up.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:13 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
You just angered Tim Thomas

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:56 AM
mrhockey193195

Since the idea of a *color*-out is not original and is associated more with other teams (The original jets/now the coyotes, the flames, the penguins, etc.), I don't care too much about it either way for the Rangers. But for me, I love the free t-shirts just because there are plenty of die-hard fans who show up to games directly from work, or who don't own a ton of Rangers apparel. It's just great to see as many fans as possible with some form of Ranger garb on.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Crease

They handed out shirts and towels for Game 1 of Round 1. Just towels for Game 7. Not sure what they've done for Round 2 though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I don't like gimmicks, especially ones other franchises started. MSG and Rangers fans have always been unique. The towel is a bit much. I loved the shots of MSG during 1986. Nothing but crazy New York fans and their voices.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
nyrmetros

I agree on the towels. They take away from people using their hands to make noise.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I love the towels and even though I'm not huge on the shirts, at least it gives people in the lower bowl who didn't show up with Rangers stuff something to wear.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie dude View Post
yes we should do it again, Broadway "Blue" Out
I like it.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:31 AM
TheKing30

Just towels tonight??

TheKing30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
district9

i'm not really into this whole thing honestly. plus, i always wear a white jersey to games

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I don't like gimmicks, especially ones other franchises started. MSG and Rangers fans have always been unique. The towel is a bit much. I loved the shots of MSG during 1986. Nothing but crazy New York fans and their voices.
Quote:
I agree on the towels. They take away from people using their hands to make noise.
Sorry..totally disagree. This whole thing about how we're Rangers fans and how we're "supposed to be different", is a little arrogant. We haven't been that crazy, dangerous crowd for years. A lot of nights it's very quiet in there. Playoffs it obviously gets amped up a bit. And I'm an old school fan, but to me 18,200 towels waving is awesome. As is the sea of blue. Problem is, it's so freaking dark in there, you can't even see it on TV. I hate Philly, but the Orange Crush there is awesome. As is the Gold Rush in Nashville, and the White Out in Phoenix. It looks amazing, and intimidating. So I see nothing wrong with towels waiving or dressing the whole arena up in one color. Personally, I think MSG should stop with this whole, "theater" crap, and make it lighter in there, cause I hate how you can't see the crowd at MSG on TV. There is nothing better than that puck hitting the back of the net and watching the whole crowd explode out of their seats, screaming "YEAH!!!" at the top of their lungs. Other teams you can see it, with us..very rarely, and I hate it.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
clmetsfan

Not a fan of the "color-outs" at all. It's impressive in St. Louis, where everyone who goes to Cardinals games wears red on their own. A bunch of people putting on shirts that are waiting for them on their seats doesn't impress me.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Crease

I like the blue-out. I also like the towels, but it would make more sense if they were blue as well.

Nothing beats the C of Red in Calgary. 18,000 fans with red jerseys, all on their own.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Sorry..totally disagree. This whole thing about how we're Rangers fans and how we're "supposed to be different", is a little arrogant. We haven't been that crazy, dangerous crowd for years. A lot of nights it's very quiet in there. Playoffs it obviously gets amped up a bit. And I'm an old school fan, but to me 18,200 towels waving is awesome. As is the sea of blue. Problem is, it's so freaking dark in there, you can't even see it on TV. I hate Philly, but the Orange Crush there is awesome. As is the Gold Rush in Nashville, and the White Out in Phoenix. It looks amazing, and intimidating. So I see nothing wrong with towels waiving or dressing the whole arena up in one color. Personally, I think MSG should stop with this whole, "theater" crap, and make it lighter in there, cause I hate how you can't see the crowd at MSG on TV. There is nothing better than that puck hitting the back of the net and watching the whole crowd explode out of their seats, screaming "YEAH!!!" at the top of their lungs. Other teams you can see it, with us..very rarely, and I hate it.
I'll agree with you about NY fans not being what they once were. I was at game 1 & 2 of round 1 and I was really let down by the way fans just gave up and hung their heads in game 2 when the Senators were putting it to the Rangers.

I blame the corporations and excessively high ticket prices. Most of the people in the middle/lower area of MSG are there because they get tickets for free from work. A lot just come in their suit to get drunk and watch a game which they dont really seem to give a crap about.

I've never sat up in the "bleachers" because I was going with a buddy who has season tickets in at row 6, but next season I plan to get some seats up high near Homo Larry and see if there is more excitement up there.

As far as the blue out goes. They gave out shirts in game 1, and only towels the rest of the home games. I wasnt at game 1 of round 2, but it looked like the crowd was all in blue so I guess they did it again. My buddy was there so I can always ask him if you want confirmation. I honestly cant believe how cheap MSG is. You'd think they could afford some cool shirts every single home game during the playoffs. (Not that the one they gave out is very "cool")

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Not a fan of the "color-outs" at all. It's impressive in St. Louis, where everyone who goes to Cardinals games wears red on their own. A bunch of people putting on shirts that are waiting for them on their seats doesn't impress me.
What's the big deal? Who cares if they're handed out or not? The whole point is solidairity and trying to amp up the home ice advantage a little. You don't think that orange crush in Philly gives them at least a little bit of an edge? If the Rangers wanna hand me a free shirt and a towel after all the money I shelled out just to go there, and the whole crowd puts them on? Guess what..I'm putting it on. If most people don't, then I'll keep my jersey on, and I got a free shirt..win-win if you ask me.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote