HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Skk82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I think he would resign in edmonton although I dont know what there financial situation is, a young forward core of RNH,Jebs,Thall,Nail and staal would he ridiculous, not sure edmonton could swing it without trading one of there young stars though, maybe Hemsky+Gagner+2013 1st+Omark ot something like that
If Edmonton was offering something like that, I think Shero would listen and possibly act on it. But there are some issues- Hemsky is not a Pittsburgh type winger, and has an injury history, don't see much interest there. A 2013 pick, while nice, isn't going to help the Pens, who want to compete ASAP with a possibly closing window right now. The 2012 1st would be more agreeable to Pittsburgh, it's a guy who can probably step right into the NHL and contribute now, which is surely what the Pens are looking for if they decide that Staal has to go this summer.

But again, Edmonton would be foolish to offer that much, or anything that Shero would think twice about given Staal's contract situation. I think for the Oilers, it's a much better idea to stick with what they've got and ride the youth wave. No point in bringing in an impending UFA and just hoping/betting he re-signs with you.

Plus, if Staal were to sign in Edmonton, it'd be at near market value of $5.5-6+. The Oilers are better off saving that money for Eberle, Hall, RNH, etc when all those guys strike it rich on their second contracts.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
What would it take for the Oilers to land Staal?
An asset you wouldn't want to give up: Hall, Eberle, or the #1 pick this year.

Anything else is going to be a bunch of spare parts we don't need.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
Second, everyone believes that he's going to want to leave for what, more playing time? a bigger role in an offense? He played two minutes less per game than Geno and a minute less per game than Sid in the playoffs. I can't really see someone wanting to leave a competitive team to play two minutes more a game on Toronto or Dallas
Geno and Sid get much different minutes though. Both get a couple more minutes and almost entirely in offensive situations. Staal gets a couple less minutes and plays a lot of those in defensive situations like the PK and defensive zone faceoffs etc. Very different and maybe not satisfying to him. Only he knows.

I do think it's going to cost us 5.5m to re-sign Staal. I think he gets even more from another team or the open market. Only way it's less is if he gets a ridiculously long contract and the Pens haven't handed any of those out.

I agree that there are more likely candidates to be moved. Martin is at the top of that list and I agree that he's moveable despite the bad season. He's still a good enough player that some team will take him.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Geno and Sid get much different minutes though. Both get a couple more minutes and almost entirely in offensive situations. Staal gets a couple less minutes and plays a lot of those in defensive situations like the PK and defensive zone faceoffs etc. Very different and maybe not satisfying to him. Only he knows.

I do think it's going to cost us 5.5m to re-sign Staal. I think he gets even more from another team or the open market. Only way it's less is if he gets a ridiculously long contract and the Pens haven't handed any of those out.

I agree that there are more likely candidates to be moved. Martin is at the top of that list and I agree that he's moveable despite the bad season. He's still a good enough player that some team will take him.
Agree with all of this.

Staal will probably stay for $5.5m or $6m. Honestly when you look at what people are getting on the market, that's a bargain. Freaking Mikhail Grabovski is a good player, but he just got $5.75m per year. Someone would offer Staal $7m on the open market. Like him or not, that's just how it is.

The people who whine about can we keep Crosby, Malkin, and Staal kill me. Shero isn't an idiot. If keeping Staal means sacrificing one of Martin, Michalek, or Orpik when we have the likes of Despres and Morrow on ELCs to replace them, that's what he's going to do. This isn't quantum physics.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:08 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
An asset you wouldn't want to give up: Hall, Eberle, or the #1 pick this year.

Anything else is going to be a bunch of spare parts we don't need.
Staal
Martin
Tangradi
Strait

for

Eberle
Lander
1st Overall

Old
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

I agree, i think he'll shake off this year and get back to playing well, and i think as long as the Pens aren't asking for a king's ransom in return, they can find a trading partner. I'd be surprised at the beginning of next season if Martin isn't gone and Staal isn't signed long term, likely for the per year cap hit you mentioned.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:17 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Staal
Martin
Tangradi
Strait

for

Eberle
Lander
1st Overall
Then do Orpik and TK for Stewart, Cole and Rattie.

Sign Allen.

Eberle - Crosby - Stewart
Yakupov - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Lander - Dupuis
Someone - Vitale - Someone

Letang - Michalek
Allen - Despres
Cole - Engelland
Bortuzzo

Old
04-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:

Sign Allen.

Yakupov - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Lander - Dupuis

Letang - Michalek
Allen - Despres
Cole - Engelland
Bortuzzo
I think that's about the only part of those two posts that has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Epic Neal Time

Quote:
Staal
Martin
Tangradi
Strait

for

Eberle
Lander
1st Overall
Where do I sign?!?!

Old
04-30-2012, 10:51 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
I think that's about the only part of those two posts that has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
ok. I will trust your insight.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Because trading a tangible asset for a Nashville defenseman has worked out so well for the Penguins.

No thanks. If Suter's rights got traded to the Pens in June, he'd have absolutely no reason to sign with Pittsburgh, unless they were offering market value ($7+ million long-term). Even if the Pens can dump Martin at the draft, that's probably not a good idea since they have to sign Crosby and Malkin again in the near future. And any potential Suter deal they'd have to match for Letang in a few years time.

If the Pens are gonna trade Jordan Staal this summer, surely there's a smarter option than the prime piece being more than 10 days of exclusive negotiation rights for an elite player who's shown every indication of hitting the open market. Even if "the deal wouldn't go through", it wouldn't go through in the first place, no reason to trade Staal for a prospect or two + Suter, when it's probably going to be nearly impossible to sign Suter without giving him the $$ he wants, which the Pens can painfully not fit in the salary cap, even if they are able to work around Martin's limited NTC.
Uh.......I didnt say trade Staal for the rights to negotiate with Suter. If the pens were to make a deal like that they would get the Predators to give them the right to talk to Suter and negotiate a contract before any trade ever went through obviously.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:00 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:

Sign Allen.

Yakupov - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Lander - Dupuis

Letang - Michalek
Allen - Despres
Cole - Engelland
Bortuzzo
Yeah, both of those trades will happen

This isn't Be-a-GM mode

Old
04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Staal
Martin
Tangradi
Strait

for

Eberle
Lander
1st Overall
I know Tambellini is a bit of an idiot, but ... come on. Eberle and the 1st overall are going in the package, and all they get of real consequence is Staal?

Old
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I know Tambellini is a bit of an idiot, but ... come on. Eberle and the 1st overall are going in the package, and all they get of real consequence is Staal?
It was in response to what an Oiler fan posted. But don't read back.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
It doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Regardless of if it's in response to what an Oiler fan posted, it's still WAY off base.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Regardless of if it's in response to what an Oiler fan posted, it's still WAY off base.
Is it? According to what knowledge?

Old
04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Go back and read the original post and criticize that person. I don't get why some people get off on being armchair critics.

But really, what do any of us know?

Last edited by SnS: 04-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
04-30-2012, 01:19 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You are right, Martin, Strait and Kennedy have no value.

But you will say, "Martin sucks," and TK is worth nothing. Strait has proven nothing.

But in reality, neither of us knows.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
I did read back. The Oiler fan simply asked "what would it take to get Staal". That doesn't change the fact your proposal was over the top bad.

It would be like if we asked on the New Jersey board, "what would it take to land Parise", and then they said "Crosby, Letang and Morrow". Over the top.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

@TSNBobMcKenzie
"There's a lot of Jordan Staal talk, where his long-term home is (PIT or elsewhere?). Being a year from UFA means he's driving the bus."
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...21669137727488

@TSNBobMcKenzie
"PIT can't get full market value in trade for J Staal if he's one and done in the new locale. So Staal ultimately ends up wherever he wants."
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...22130234327041

@TSNBobMcKenzie
"I wouldn't be surprised if all three Staal brothers eventually want to play on same team. Eric, BTW, has four more years on his CAR deal."
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...22595516862464

@TSNBobMcKenzie
"Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn't a Penguin -- not suggesting he's not -- a Cane seems logical."
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...25638320836610

@TSNBobMcKenzie
"Bottom line is in 1 yr, it's entirely his call. That power/influence dramatically impacts potential move this summer. #canyousaydriversseat"
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...26239641427968

Interesting thought.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

edit, didn't see the above post.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:53 PM
mpp9

Disagree with all of those tweets. But whatever, Bob.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
ok. I will trust your insight.
It doesn't take much in the way of insight. Common sense pretty much does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Disagree with all of those tweets. But whatever, Bob.
I agree with him saying he's in the driver's seat, at least to an extent. The speculation that it means he'll ask for the moon, he won't be a Penguin and that he'll want to play with his brothers is all just that ... speculation. But hey, he's allowed to have his gut feelings. I just don't buy it, despite my respect for him.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
regard

People in hockey media are always mentioning which players are friends and talking about brothers/friends wanting to play together. Whos to say Jordan and Eric even get along that well?
Whos to say Jordan would want to leave Pittsburgh to no longer be known as the "3rd center" only to be "Erics brother" even more so than hes ever been.

Closed Thread