HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Bruins more popular then the Celtics?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Grand Volcan

vCash: 500
Are the Bruins more popular then the Celtics?

I know that red sox>pats> celtics and bruins, but I'm wondering if the bruins are more popular then the celtics. Both have their fair share of dynasties and legendary players.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Not at the moment

Old
04-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

No way

I know this is a kind of stupid way to analyze it, but consider how many "likes" each has on Facebook

The Celtics actually have the most of the New England 4

Celtics: 6.4 Mil

Sox: 3.5 Mil

Pats: 3.5 Mil

Bruins: 1.2 Mil

Old
04-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
No way

I know this is a kind of stupid way to analyze it, but consider how many "likes" each has on Facebook

B's fans are too cool for FB.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:42 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
No way

wow that's actually really surprising to me. They have almost more than doubly the Patriots and Red Sox? That's crazy.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
The rating the Bruins got for their game 7 SCF blew away both Celtics game 7 ratings.

Quote:
The game earned a 43.4/64 in Boston, the best for a hockey game since records began being kept for the market in 1991. That’s higher than any game in the ‘ last two NBA finals.

Bruins have the fan culture and youth participation on their side.

Celtics have the media and hype machine, especially amongst the media who are not from Boston originally and find it hard to grasp that hockey can be more popular than basketball. I can only imagine the number the NHL would get if they had the constant hype that the NBA does from ESPN (This is not a shot at NBC, just the annoyance that is ESPN and their basketball coverage).

Old
04-30-2012, 06:44 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
I've said it before when threads like these pop up, but as a native who played hockey here through high school, among those I socialize with it's hockey and it's not even close. I know maybe 1-2 people who love the Celtics like I love the Bruins, and amongst my friends I'd say it's neck and neck between the B's and Pats for the #1 spot.

Morris makes a good point regarding the media. If you only went by what you see on tv you'd assume nobody liked the Bruins around here until the playoffs start, when in truth they're probably more popular than the Celtics overall.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:52 AM
ODAAT

Wait, is this about Celtic the Football Club or the Celtics the basketball team??

Either way, call me uninterested in both

Old
04-30-2012, 06:56 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The rating the Bruins got for their game 7 SCF blew away both Celtics game 7 ratings.

Bruins have the fan culture and youth participation on their side.

Celtics have the media and hype machine, especially amongst the media who are not from Boston originally and find it hard to grasp that hockey can be more popular than basketball. I can only imagine the number the NHL would get if they had the constant hype that the NBA does from ESPN (This is not a shot at NBC, just the annoyance that is ESPN and their basketball coverage).
Its closer than that Morris between B and C. I agree the Bs are more pop than C. However the Bs are literally invisible to minority population (black, Hispanic, Asian).
Its almost exclusively a white sport.WWhile I agree about ESPN, they r on multiple networks. The NHL
has tremendous intensity of fans, but clearly the NBA is far more pop
across the US.

The lack of diversity easily calls onto question the quality of athleticism of the sport in comparison to football/basketball

Old
04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Its closer than that Morris between B and C. I agree the Bs are more pop than C. However the Bs are literally invisible to minority population (black, Hispanic, Asian).
Its almost exclusively a white sport.WWhile I agree about ESPN, they r on multiple networks. The NHL
has tremendous intensity of fans, but clearly the NBA is far more pop
across the US.

The lack of diversity easily calls onto question the quality of athleticism of the sport in comparison to football/basketball
Much less athleticism and much more they cost nothing to play and 2/3 of the country not having access to ice,

Old
04-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
No way

LOL.

What the **** is a facebook?

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Red sox suck

By the numbers idk what's the most popular after the Pats.

But for me it's Bruins/Pats tie then Celtics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Red Sox>>Revs

Old
04-30-2012, 08:18 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Depends on what demographic you ask. If I had to offer up an anecdotal answer, I'd say I see a lot more Bruins gear on people out in public than Celts gear.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
bostonphoenix

My thoughts.

Hockey players are without a doubt more athletic. Basketball players are simply weak in comparison.

Basketball has a larger base of fans due to minority base.

Hockey fans on average are far more intelligent than basketball fans. I think there was a study done on this last year. Tennis and golf were 1 and 2.

And I think Facebook is a terrible way to gage it.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

The FaceBook numbers only gauge how many people WORLDWIDE have liked the respective pages. It's a pretty safe bet that worldwide, more people probably like the Celtics than like the Bruins. Here in Boston though, I think it's reversed. So, if the question really is "Here in Boston, which team is more popular?" I think the answer is the Bruins.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
BruinsHockey74

Bruins > Pats > Sox > .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................Celtics

Old
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
northeastern

to make this thread useful we need tv ratings for the last day of the season for each team and in the playoffs for each team. I do not know where to find these though, especially not on my phone.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
TopShelf10
get good wood on it

IF the Celts are more popular, I have no problem being the least popular team in town, and Ill explain why:

While I still get very defensive when people point it out, I try to embrace. I get defensive because when people do it, its usually obnoxious and belittling. But i embrace it because when we win ITS SO DAMN SWEET for so many reasons.

i called into the sportshub once because Gresh was getting on Bruins fans for being so demanding, attention starved, protective, and entitled. I called in explaining that it may be because weve gone through decades of scrutiny and being estranged in this city. up until about 2 years ago, if you walked into a house party and said "lets watch the hockey game" you would get laughed at, and possibly made fun of.

i think this is also why hockey fans (at least around here) are so protective of the sport and the fanbase, and wanting to keep the "pinkhats" and Sweet Caroline away from the Garden. Its only because a lot of the people who are trying to jump on the bandwagon are the same exact people who told us to GTFO when we wanted to watch the Bruins.

embrace it while we have it. the Bruins are last team to bring a championship to the city. our parade drew the biggest crowd in Boston history (that is a LOOOOONG history). and, at least for a short while, people got to see just what were so insane about. and if even one person who used to hate on hockey finally stopped and realized what hes been missing out on, then its been a moral victory for us.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Let's put it this way

In canada, the bruins are more popular. In new England (particularly closer to Boston), the bruins are more popular, in the entire us, the celtics are more popular

And in a country of 300+ million people, that makes the celtics more popular overall

Old
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Go down to the gym/playground
and look what they r wearing plenty of Adidas and Nike as well ss Converse.
Some do, some don't. But those sneakers also serve the purpose of general footwear, which roller blades do not. So a kid can snag a $100 pair of Nikes and use them for all purposes. If he snags $80 roller blades, and a $20 stick. He still needs sneakers.

Those that don't can still play. It's not the same as having roller blades and a stick.

It's also not the same as playing on ice. Functionally basketball is the same on any surface.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Squirrell71
Offensive

Good thread. When I was bar hopping around the Hub prior to the finale against the Sabres I asked bartenders at the Fours, O'Reillys, Sullivans and the Greatest Bar wich fans were better. ALL quickly said Bruins fans are looser, treat games like a night out and spend the most money.

I was very proud! lol

Old
04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrell71 View Post
Good thread. When I was bar hopping around the Hub prior to the finale against the Sabres I asked bartenders at the Fours, O'Reillys, Sullivans and the Greatest Bar wich fans were better. ALL quickly said Bruins fans are looser, treat games like a night out and spend the most money.

I was very proud! lol
Celtics fans eat, Bruins fans drink.

Thats what I have always heard.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Bruins ratings 2012

Quote:
NESN announced this morning that the Boston Bruins set a new record by averaging a 4.7 rating in the Boston DMA. This is a 52% increase over the 2010/11 season which had been the previous record season with a 3.1 average.
Celtics Ratings 2011

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...N-ratings.aspx

Old
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Ask scalpers, I saw bruins weeknight pairs go for patriots prices.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I've seen enough here and I will not let it continue any further.

PM each other if you want to fight.

Closed Thread