HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Jack Adams finalists will be announced this morning (TORTS, Hitch & MacLean)

Old
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Tortorella deserves this as much as Hitchcock does, as far as I'm concerned. Hitchcock has a better turnaround story from the middle of the season. Tortorella's team has been doing this all year. Tortorella also got an enormous amount of positive press from 24/7.

NYR - 16 point increase over last season
STL - 22 point increase over last season.

Not that big of a difference in terms of team improvement.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Leetch3

i think hitch will win but people saying its 'not close' are not giving torts nearly enough credit. what torts did with the rangers is virtually the same as what hitch did...both guys took bubble playoff teams and took them to the top of the conference

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I like MacLean a lot, but Trotz and Tippett screwed again.
Tippett won it two years ago, and there haven't been many repeat winners (the last was Jacques Lemaire and he won them almost 10 years apart with two different teams). He's an excellent coach, but he won't win again, at least for a few years (or if he changes teams).

It is, however, an absolute atrocity that Barry Trotz has never won.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:25 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Tortorella deserves this as much as Hitchcock does, as far as I'm concerned. Hitchcock has a better turnaround story from the middle of the season. Tortorella's team has been doing this all year. Tortorella also got an enormous amount of positive press from 24/7.

NYR - 16 point increase over last season
STL - 22 point increase over last season.

Not that big of a difference in terms of team improvement.
Aside from the fact that Hitch did this while taking over THIS season, look at the rosters and look at the injuries. Hitch had a tougher job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Tippett won it two years ago, and there haven't been many repeat winners (the last was Jacques Lemaire and he won them almost 10 years apart with two different teams). He's an excellent coach, but he won't win again, at least for a few years (or if he changes teams).

It is, however, an absolute atrocity that Barry Trotz has never won.
Yeah, you're right. I totally forgot Tippett won recently.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Personally, I'm thinking Maclean is going to win. Don't think he should, but I think he will.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Tortz

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Personally, I'm thinking Maclean is going to win. Don't think he should, but I think he will.
I dunno man, with the media attention that Hitch is getting I can't see him not winning.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:34 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Would be very surprised if Hitchcock doesn't win.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Nickmo82

It's almost funny how people love to hate on the Rangers so much... almost. So many posts on the nhl.com article saying Torts doesn't deserve to even be nominated... and apparently he now coaches a team of superstars!!

Need to stay away from such plays in future. It's bad for the blood pressure.

Nickmo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Hitch should win this, but Torts is a close second.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Aside from the fact that Hitch did this while taking over THIS season, look at the rosters and look at the injuries. Hitch had a tougher job.
Meh, I don't really think of taking over during the season as necessarily being the positive for coach of the year that a lot of other people think it is. The Blues won a lot of games from the simple inertia of the coaching change. Sometimes that happens too.

As for the injuries, tougher job? The Rangers were missing their all-star defenseman and their 2nd best RD for a large portion of the season. Aside from Colaiacovo's yearly 20 games of injuries, St Louis' blueline was healthy all year. I'll grant you that McDonald, Steen and Perron missing large chunks of the season was a big negative for St Louis.

As for rosters, the Rangers have Richards and Gaborik, who are better offensively than anyone on the Blues except for McDonald, who as mentioned missed most of the year. However, the Blues had better forward depth when healthy. And, by the way, Pietrangelo-Shattenkirk-Jackman-Colaiacovo is just as good as Girardi-McDonagh-Staal-Del Zotto. A wash. Goalies, Lundqvist is defintely a better goalie than Halak and Elliot, but combined, Halak-Elliot had a better season than Lundqvist-Biron. Also a wash. So yes, the Rangers roster was slightly better, but not by a ton.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Meh, I don't really think of taking over during the season as necessarily being the positive for coach of the year that a lot of other people think it is. The Blues won a lot of games from the simple inertia of the coaching change. Sometimes that happens too.

As for the injuries, tougher job? The Rangers were missing their all-star defenseman and their 2nd best RD for a large portion of the season. Aside from Colaiacovo's yearly 20 games of injuries, St Louis' blueline was healthy all year. I'll grant you that McDonald, Steen and Perron missing large chunks of the season was a big negative for St Louis.
It's more than a big negative. It's 3 of their 5 most important forwards.

Quote:
As for rosters, the Rangers have Richards and Gaborik, who are better offensively than anyone on the Blues except for McDonald, who as mentioned missed most of the year. However, the Blues had better forward depth when healthy. And, by the way, Pietrangelo-Shattenkirk-Jackman-Colaiacovo is just as good as Girardi-McDonagh-Staal-Del Zotto. A wash. Goalies, Lundqvist is defintely a better goalie than Halak and Elliot, but combined, Halak-Elliot had a better season than Lundqvist-Biron. Also a wash. So yes, the Rangers roster was slightly better, but not by a ton.
With so much time lost to those 3 forwards, their depth was forced to step up big time, and they did. Plus, Elliot was a question mark coming into this season Now, that might be more on their goaltending coach than on Hitch, but I view the award as recognition of the whole coaching staff.

Taking over mid-season and not having McDonald and Steen for so long, playing in a tougher conference, and in a tougher division...I think Hitch wins it easily.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i think hitch will win but people saying its 'not close' are not giving torts nearly enough credit. what torts did with the rangers is virtually the same as what hitch did...both guys took bubble playoff teams and took them to the top of the conference
this. Id give it to Hitch, but it's close imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I'd be completely shocked if it wasn't Hitch. After how bad STL started (and they weren't really good last year either) to where they've come is quite impressive. Rangers have been slowly getting better since Torts took over. Not as drastic an increase.

04-30-2012, 01:23 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

My case for Maclean would be that nothing, and I mean NOTHING, was expected from Ottawa at all. Many experts had them completely out of it at 14th-16th and being a complete rebuild.

Rangers were expected to compete for a playoff spot and exceeded expectations. Same goes for St. Louis.

Personally, I'd give it to Hitchcock. I don't think Torts will win because he's already won the award.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I still have yet to see a convincing argument as to why Hitch won't win. He was the best coach this year. imo.

Edit: He did the best job coaching given his circumstances. This isn't a knock on Tortorella.

Last edited by Miamipuck: 04-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I don't see how this doesn't go to Hitch.

Taking over a 6-7 team and then going 43-15 is unreal. Completely changed them and brought them to the 1 seed when they were on the verge of probably not even making the playoffs. Torts is a close 2nd, though.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

we should fire him...replace him with a real coach like Tom, last place every damn year Renney.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Torts deserves it because Brad Richards probably doesnt come here without Torts.

Rangers were a 51-team because they added Brad Richards.

Rangers won the EC because they were a 51-win team.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
94now

I don't think Torts deserves it. Well, if he does, then Lundqvist should not get Hart. Without Lundqvist play this group is a losing squad no matter how dedicated they may be. Hense Torts contribution is overrated. Same with Hitch, who enjoyed Halak-Elliot performance. The one who deserves it would be MacLean, but he will not get it as West will prevail due to split East vote between Torts and Mac. Thus, it will be Hitchcock.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't think Torts deserves it. Well, if he does, then Lundqvist should not get Hart. Without Lundqvist play this group is a losing squad no matter how dedicated they may be. Hense Torts contribution is overrated. Same with Hitch, who enjoyed Halak-Elliot performance. The one who deserves it would be MacLean, but he will not get it as West will prevail due to split East vote between Torts and Mac. Thus, it will be Hitchcock.
Agree that Hitch rode Elliot big time. A goalie can make you look like a great coach. I always liked Hitch, however. Wouldn't mind if he won, except I think Torts deserves it. He had a big part in building this team in his likeness.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

With so much time lost to those 3 forwards, their depth was forced to step up big time, and they did. Plus, Elliot was a question mark coming into this season Now, that might be more on their goaltending coach than on Hitch, but I view the award as recognition of the whole coaching staff.

Taking over mid-season and not having McDonald and Steen for so long, playing in a tougher conference, and in a tougher division...I think Hitch wins it easily.
I disagree about "tougher division." How was St. Louis in the tougher division? Atlantic division points combined = 501. Central division points combined = 481.

Goals Scored in the Central (Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, Columbus) = 935

Goals Scored in the Atlantic (NJ, NYI, Pitt, Philly) = 977

So the Rangers played in a higher scoring division and a division that finished with the most points in the NHL. Not to mention St. Louis played the absolute worst team in the league 6 times. I mean, we have the Islanders but even they (79 points) weren't as bad as C-Bus (65) and as we all know they always give us a tough game.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Whenever I hear the name Hitchcock together with Torts I think about this:

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
whhhaatt? Of COURSE without Lundqvist they wouldnt be as good. That's a surprise...how exactly?

You could make a reverse argument and say, with staal and sauer missing such huge amounts of time, this squad might have been even better....or you could say without Gabby coming back they could have been worse.

blah blah blah.

Here's the truth. Tortorella built an identity, he's played kids in key spots all season long, going as far as putting a kid playing his first ever NHL game on the Rangers top line.....IN THE PLAYOFFS. This team is playing the way its playing because of John Tortorella. They block shots like machines. They sacrifice, all players buy into the defensive approach.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Based on what? The point totals for the top 4 teams I'm pretty sure are higher in the Atlantic. 3 Atlantic teams made to the second round, but only 2 central teams.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote