HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Phoenix @ Nashville 3-16-06

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2006, 06:18 AM
JussiM

vCash: 500
GDT: Phoenix @ Nashville 3-16-06

GAME: (30-32-4) at (38-19-8).

TIME: Thursday, 8 p.m. EST.

STANDINGS (through March 14): Coyotes - 64 points, 5th place, 25 PB, Pacific Division. Predators - 84 points, 2nd place, 9 PB, Central Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Coyotes - Shane Doan, 23 goals and 114 PIM; Ladislav Nagy, 41 assists and 56 points. Predators - Sullivan, 28 goals; Paul Kariya, 42 assists and 64 points; Brendan Witt, 158 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through March 14): Coyotes - Power play: 18.4 percent (81 for 440), 9th in NHL. Penalty killing: 81.5 percent (344 for 422), 21st. Predators - Power play: 18.1 percent (73 for 403), 12th. Penalty killing: 85.3 percent (359 for 421), 4th.

GOALTENDERS: Coyotes - Joseph (25-19-2, 2 SO, 3.04 GAA); Philippe Sauve (3-5-0, 3.36). Predators - Vokoun (32-14-7, 3, 2.54); Chris Mason (5-4-1, 3.23).

SEASON SERIES: Predators, 1-0.

LAST MEETING: Oct. 13; Predators 5-4, SO. At Glendale, Ariz., Sullivan had two goals and Kariya scored the winner in the shootout.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Coyotes - 14-16-1 on the road; Predators - 24-6-1 at home.

Old
03-16-2006, 06:37 AM
handtrick

vokoun is unbelieveably hot right now.....but do you start Mason tonight with the Yotes in town and Calgary on Saturday.....I would as one of Mason's "scheduled starts."

Just hate to get Tomas burned out like he was before the Olympic break.

Old
03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I would definitely like to see Mason start this one, but wouldn't be surprised either way.

Old
03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Olaf

Mar 16 2006, Thu HOME Coyotes 8:00 PM ET -
Mar 18 2006, Sat HOME Flames 8:00 PM ET HDNet
Mar 20 2006, Mon HOME Blues 8:00 PM ET -
Mar 21 2006, Tue AWAY Red Wings 7:30 PM ET -
Mar 24 2006, Fri AWAY Mighty Ducks 10:30 PM ET -
Mar 25 2006, Sat AWAY Kings 10:30 PM ET -

Would guess we see Mason for the Blues and Ducks or Kings over the next 9 days..

Old
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf
Mar 16 2006, Thu HOME Coyotes 8:00 PM ET -
Mar 18 2006, Sat HOME Flames 8:00 PM ET HDNet
Mar 20 2006, Mon HOME Blues 8:00 PM ET -
Mar 21 2006, Tue AWAY Red Wings 7:30 PM ET -
Mar 24 2006, Fri AWAY Mighty Ducks 10:30 PM ET -
Mar 25 2006, Sat AWAY Kings 10:30 PM ET -

Would guess we see Mason for the Blues and Ducks or Kings over the next 9 days..
that would make sense with the two back to backs.

Old
03-16-2006, 07:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hordy!

I love it when that guy scores, he has the best celebration, and you know it's got to be exciting to him. I really hope we can keep him around for a long time. Talk about rounding out a game and being more than just a goon.

Old
03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
NassauIsles82*

i wonder if the preds can keep up their great home ice advantage during the playoffs.

Old
03-16-2006, 09:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What a boring game.

This third period has been pretty dull because it looks like what lost games for us back when things were bad...just..sitting back, waiting for the play to happen. We're not big enough to play "defensive hockey."

Old
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
hido

It was very boring. Most of the crowd spent their time running out to check NCAA scores. But the good thing is that these types of games seem very familiar to me. Except WE were the team that were losing a lackluster game and had seemingly no chance of ever coming back. There was no way Phoenix was going to get anywhere close to making a run in this game and that is a good feeling. I'll take the two points!

Old
03-16-2006, 10:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hido
It was very boring. Most of the crowd spent their time running out to check NCAA scores. But the good thing is that these types of games seem very familiar to me. Except WE were the team that were losing a lackluster game and had seemingly no chance of ever coming back. There was no way Phoenix was going to get anywhere close to making a run in this game and that is a good feeling. I'll take the two points!

on the contrary, I felt that they were getting pretty good chances...just couldn't get one in, thanks to some huge saves and a few lucky posts.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:18 AM
braindead

Well I was feeling bad about coming to post that this was a boring game but now I'm just piling on. The building was dead, the Yotes were boring, fans seemed bored, the Preds were fine but not electric. It had all the feeling of.... a Tuesday night Yotes game on Thursday night.

All that being said, TV looks like he is 3 steps ahead of everyone else right now. Wow.

It also was nice to see Sully get back up and get back on the ice to get an assist on the PP goal.

Suter still looks like the weak d-man. Weber looked good and Hammer is continuing to step it up.

Nice win.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:11 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Nice job by the Preds to get the 2 points.

Hordichuk the scoring machine. That was a pretty goal.

Weber was mean tonight. I don't know what crawled up his butt, but he was throwing some nice big hits....although one did result in a roughing penalty. He seems to improve every game.

Actually I thought all of our D played well.

And Smithson had a good game.

39 wins, new franchise record, and still 16 to go. (We *****ed and moaned for a year and half waiting for hockey to come back and now there's only 16 games left!)

Old
03-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Pred303

a nice, quiet, workmanlike win... a no thrills type of win... a few thoughts;

...preds simply dominated this game defensively. we outshot them an unbelievable 17-6 even strength tonight to best illustrate the point. 40 minutes of even strength hockey and we only give up 6 shots.
...vokoun has moved past the red hot stage, he's officially now "white hot", and looks to be headed toward the "blue hot" or "supernova" classification. 5-0-2 with a save % greater than .960 since the olympic break. hard to get much better than that. admittedly, he wasn't tested that often last night, but he did make three or four excellent saves, and all the easy ones. very calm in net right now, very little wasted motion, very few rebounds.
...witt. cann't believe how the addition of one man has changed the way we look on the blueline so much. all of a sudden we're not weak in our end. witt is more than doing his part, literally mashing the puck off some guy three or four times a game to break up an offensive possesstion down low, where before that cycle might have turned into 3 or 4 shots on net.
...weber is playing a part in this too to be fair, having him and witt paired with timonen and hamhuis gives us two very solid defensive pairs out there. weber looks better every game, still making rookie mistakes positionally, still making puckhandling mistakes, but looking better every game
..hamhuis and timonen with superior games last night. timonen especially with three or four perfectly timed diving blocks of passes or shots.
...suter and zidlicky with strong games too. zidlicky with 4 good hits pinching guys out of the play and off the puck at the blueline.
...great backchecking job by our centermen all night to help the defense and vokoun. legwand with two clean backchecking steals, smithson,johnson, sillinger each with one. really played solid back in our d-zone.
...hordichuk with a nice drive to the net.. not sure he meant to shot the puck off joseph's far skate and in, but it happened so quickly it looked pretty. great shift from sillinger and tootoo to keep the puck in our zone and get it going back at joseph before they could react.
...offensively, tootoo looks 100% better than he ever has. he now seems to be able to handle the puck so much better, and is putting good shots on net, and is using his speed very well. maybe that thumb injury really did limit his game some last season. right now he is looking better than he's ever looked. with a little luck he could have had one himself, made a good shot on one drive in particular that joseph though had beaten him.
...the pk was strong in general... even though we did give up 16 shots in 13 minutes of pp time (kind of a bend but not break thing)... to be honest this was the only real threat to vokoun last night..
...the pp looked better, getting some good tries. you normally think if you're executing well on the pp that at least a shot a minute per pp time is about what you should get overall. (6 pp shots in 6 minutes for us last night). of course we gave up 2 shothanded shots, but for a change they weren't really good shothanded chances
...we flubbed many really good shots from the slot, just missing and mis-hitting. johnson, sillinger, legwand, kariya... sillinger actually three wiffs or partial wiffs... or we'd have stomped thru this game
...johnson. good solid game defenesively. missed two open nets, one where he got his stick lifted, one where he fired over the crossbar. happy birthday greg.

not an exciting win as wins go, but it was still a win, a well-played one at that in most aspects of the game.. 86 points, now 6 up on 5th with a game in hand, that's what's important. 25-6-1 at home, shows why we need that home-ice advantage

Old
03-17-2006, 10:19 AM
muddycreek*

A win is a win. I thought our guys looked a little slow in warm-ups (except Upshaw and he alwasy looks like he's 120%). It showed somewhat in the game. I think the Yotes know they are going nowhere and are playing like it. Absent Joseph it would have been ugly. he made two or three great saves that could have made the game 5-0. Tootoo is the most improved player over the past season. He really looks like he belongs on a scoring line. When your youngest player on a line is also the most talanted player, they are bound to struggle becasue ALL the attention is on them. getting off the fourth line was the "ticket" for Tootoo. What are we gonna' do next year? Walker, Sully, PK, Erat, Hall, Harts, Tootoo, Rady (?), Upshaw, Hordi?

Old
03-17-2006, 10:43 AM
predperson

The game was boring because our defense was better.....spectacular saves not needed. I enjoyed it.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Olaf

I thought irregardless of the goal, it was one of Adam Hall's best games of the year.
He was finishing checks, crashing in front of the net, and made good decisions with his puck movement. Come playoffs it will be critical for Hall and Hartnell to be playing on top of their physical games...

Closed Thread