HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Brian23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
'Tis not even remotely close to true.

The second most important player on the team is the blindside offensive tackle.
Right. And how many superbowls have Joe Thomas and Jake Long won?

OL have become severely over-rated in this day and age.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
Right. And how many superbowls have Joe Thomas and Jake Long won?

OL have become severely over-rated in this day and age.
Wait what?

You actually believe the backup QB is more important than the blindside tackle?

Seriously?

Old
04-29-2012, 10:57 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Shanahan said he doesn't draft for need, but who is best available at a specific pick. And Shanahan labeling Cousins as a steal backs that up.

Depth was addressed throughout the draft after Griffin was picked. This is not a big deal.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:43 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Shanahan said he doesn't draft for need, but who is best available at a specific pick. And Shanahan labeling Cousins as a steal backs that up.

Depth was addressed throughout the draft after Griffin was picked. This is not a big deal.
Well, Massie was available, and by all accounts, was a bigger steal than Cousins.

If Shanahan truly didn't draft for need, he wouldn't hesitate to pick a QB with next year's first, right?

Old
04-29-2012, 11:47 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Well, Massie was available, and by all accounts, was a bigger steal than Cousins.

If Shanahan truly didn't draft for need, he wouldn't hesitate to pick a QB with next year's first, right?
Shanahan disagrees with you in regards to Massie apparently. And they already picked a QB with next years #1, slick.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Shanahan disagrees with you in regards to Massie apparently. And they already picked a QB with next years #1, slick.
Ok, slick. How about with next year's second? My point still stands.

Honestly, it's truly mind-boggling to me that any Redskins' fan would be defending the pick. If you invest 3 years' first rounders into a guy you believe is your franchise QB going forward, what's the most important thing you can do? Protect him.

The Redskins, despite having no second rounder, had a chance to draft a first round talent and potential starter at tackle. Instead, they chose to draft a backup QB.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Don't think I am necessarily defending the Cousins pick. It just doesn't bother me.

And yes, a tackle taken would of been nice, but 2 capable guard prospects were taken. To say making picks to protect Griffin was not done is a false statement.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Didn't say nothing was done to protect him, but the tackle position is FAR more important in protecting the QB than the guard position.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

All 5 line positions are important.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Didn't say nothing was done to protect him, but the tackle position is FAR more important in protecting the QB than the guard position.
While true, they seem to be more concerned with Lichtensteiger's health than Brown at the moment and their interior depth was pretty bad. Smith & Polumbus have shown better at tackle than Hurt & Cook inside as far as depth goes.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
While true, they seem to be more concerned with Lichtensteiger's health than Brown at the moment and their interior depth was pretty bad. Smith & Polumbus have shown better at tackle than Hurt & Cook inside as far as depth goes.
This, and post June 1 cuts can help if Browns Yoga routine doesnt work out after going threw mini camp and OTAs.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

David Wilson to the Giants and Danny Coale to the Cowboys has withered a part of my soul.

04-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
David Wilson to the Giants and Danny Coale to the Cowboys has withered a part of my soul.
The Eagles had a very good draft also, addressed their biggest needs.

Not getting the Cousins pick at all. So many holes on the team and they essentially use multiple picks to get two QBs? That was a luxury pick when they didn't have room for luxuries. If I'm Cousins I'm not thrilled either considering RG III is going to get 98% of the coaches attention.

Thought I read somewhere this was the first time in 20+ years that a team took two QBs in the first four rounds.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:08 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Not getting the Cousins pick at all. So many holes on the team and they essentially use multiple picks to get two QBs? That was a luxury pick when they didn't have room for luxuries. If I'm Cousins I'm not thrilled either considering RG III is going to get 98% of the coaches attention.

Thought I read somewhere this was the first time in 20+ years that a team took two QBs in the first four rounds.
Shanahan said Cousins in the 4th was a steal. Thats why Shanahan took him. Was it the right move? Who knows, but if it means Sexy Rexy is not long for a roster spot I am happy.

And I would think Cousins being taken in the 4th pisses him off more than him going to a team like the Skins who has Griffin. That means 31 other teams passed on him multiple times. NO matter who drafted him it seems clear all 32 teams see him as a back up and thats it.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
tycoonheart

People are acting like we spent a 2nd rounder on Cousins.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
There were probably 2 teams Cousin's didn't want to go to. We all know which 2. Its like a good player being stuck in Hershey. Yeah yeah, its good for him to be stuck behind better players, we all know. But is that what is best for his development?

If Cousins was that great a steal, I would think teams should have been offering up picks to get that spot from us.

He was picked because Shanny doesn't have faith that 3 can stay healthy for the long term. Only, Shanny won't tell you that. Short term, you can roll with a vet backup.

But he almost risks creating his own destiny not protecting him with a tackle or best OL available over taking a backup QB in the 4th, IMO. They are going to make him stand in the pocket plenty.

While we did address the OL, we did last year too. So, did we target the same type of players again this year? I am one of the few that thought our backups did good, including Willie Smith. But seeing we took 3OL, Shanny did not. Chester wasn't good enough, Mo Hurt wasn't good enough. Willie. Cook. Licht got hurt, yes durability is in play when making player decisions.

I would have preferred a FA or late round QB picked up instead. Get a future backup next year. What if Cousins does better in camp and preseason?

Yes I know ZBS guys are different than other lineman so you don't follow the grades. But maybe thats the problem with the ZBS much like running the 3-4, you do a lot of projecting of mostly college players.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old
04-30-2012, 10:50 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

For me, I didn't expect much out of this draft after Griffin was picked. The Cousins pick can be debated on here till the Cows come home, but the LeRibeus pick is the one I will be watching. Considering LeRibeus was taken in the 3rd, and the consensus from all the experts is the Skins reached to get him, LeRibeus deserves more attention than Cousins.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/jdubs88/statuses/196973960099938304
Quote:
Skip Bayless just opined, "I know all about RG3. He STRUGGLED his 1st 4 games." Stats on those gms: 92-112 (82.1%), 18 TDs, 1 INT...

Old
04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
While I was thrilled to hear Shanny has said 3 will have a hand in what plays get run, being a rookie QB in the league is not easy. He is going to have to adjust to being under center. The Shans are going to want to run that bumpkin a bunch, and that's fine, to take some pressure off of him. But I have a feeling they won't have him in shotgun much at all, where I see the need for him to adjust.

Cousins ran a pro style set.

I have long thought QB's are safer in obvious passing downs, being in the gun. Instead of getting blindsided by the RDE, they have a chance to see that the LT got beat. They are facing the play, not turned to the sideline sidestepping, counting steps. Why turn your back to half the field, when the half behind you is empty? Wonder why our QB's in the past missed receivers? They are facing Shanahan, not the wide open FB in the left flat. See the rush, see the field, not telegraph to the safety where you are looking so much. See the field without turning the head, then turn the feet and prepare to throw.

I would love to see passing stats on 3rd and long, gun vs under center by team.

I have been skeptical over the years that the Shanny's can put their dual ego's aside and cater their playbook to the QB they eventually drafted. I hope they make me eat crow on that.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-30-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Skins draft trivia from 980 just now:

Over the last 40 years only 2 players taken in the 4th round have had an impact while a player for the Skins. Don Warren and Stephen Davis.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Maybe he meant the 1st 4 games of his career?

I mean, there are reasonably intelligent arguments to make to take the sheen of RG3, like there are for just about any prospect.

But yeah, I guess anyone that actually listens to/watches Skip Bayless deserves to be exposed to that sort of 'analysis'.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Duke33

Quote:
For me, I didn't expect much out of this draft after Griffin was picked. The Cousins pick can be debated on here till the Cows come home, but the LeRibeus pick is the one I will be watching. Considering LeRibeus was taken in the 3rd, and the consensus from all the experts is the Skins reached to get him, LeRibeus deserves more attention than Cousins.
And yet the Cousins pick is what's getting the attention. Currently Wise (not my favorite) and Koken are now speculating the Shanahans drafted Cousins as some kind of buffer to RGIII....in case he gets too "big" for himself here. Koken saying that nothing has changed with this franchise....that they made another pick for a non-football reason.

I dunno...like someone else said you trade alot to get your franchise QB and then don't build to protect him, or get a real deep threat. I'm no fan of Grossman but he's a veteran and at least knows the offense, not sure why they needed to draft a QB so high if they just want some insurance.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Was wondering why the Skins didn't draft a WR? From the top of my head the only legit guy I can think of is Anthony Armstrong.

edit: after looking at your roster, you don't have 1 big bodied receiver and not a legit #1 guy. I think the skins still need a WR

Old
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
Was wondering why the Skins didn't draft a WR? From the top of my head the only legit guy I can think of is Anthony Armstrong.
Uh...didnt they sign Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan this offseason?

Old
04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
ReggietheSavage15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post

edit: after looking at your roster, you don't have 1 big bodied receiver and not a legit #1 guy. I think the skins still need a WR
Armstrong isn't even legit.

Hankerson (if healthy) will HOPEFULLY be our big RZ thread and be groomed to takeover the #1 spot in due time. In the meanwhile, you're discounting Pierre Garcon. I think he's going to have a HUGE year, assuming both he and RGIII can stay healthy.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think WR was a position of need. TE on the otherhand, yes. I wish we had made some sort of move for a TE in the draft. Cooley is washed and Davis is a headcase.

Closed Thread