HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Another 3 points for Kovalchuk tonight

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2003, 03:50 PM
  #26
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
While I do appreciate this kid putting the franchise on his shoulders and running with it, people are not to happy with continual posts about players accomplishments on a nightly basis.

Me... I couldn't care less cause I am a huge Kovolchuk fan... but others might not like it so be warned.

agreed. Atleast he's living up to expectations of a first overall pick unlike a lot... If ppl are sick of hearing about it then they should find a new sport becuase for the next 18-20 years kovalchuk is gonna be very well known

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 04:24 PM
  #27
Sundried TOmato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
anyone else wonder what kind of numbers kovalchuk would be putting up if it was 1986?
I am wondering what kind of numbers he'd put up if he had decent linemates. Have you seen his passes? Geez, if the guys could finish a little better, he'd have more assists than goals.

Sundried TOmato is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 05:19 PM
  #28
Blackjack
Registered User
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Here are a few polls:

Poll: Kovalchuk vs. Gaborik

Poll: Kovalchuk vs. Iginla

Poll: Kovalchuk vs. Heatley (before the accident)

Unfortunatly, none of them are public. I think Heatley won his poll nearly 3 - 1.

Kovalchuk has always been one of my favorites, I've defended him in the past, but now thanks to some woman cough*ZOIDBURG*cough I can't prove it.

Blackjack is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 05:52 PM
  #29
Chelis Chili
Registered User
 
Chelis Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: Greece
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
*lifting*
especially 4 Mr. m2k2p!

Chelis Chili is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 06:01 PM
  #30
south-sentral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dirtyy South
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachoo
Update on Spezza vs Kovalchuk:

Spezza: 3 Goals/4 Assists/7 Points

Kovalchuk: 12 Goals/8 Assists/20 Points

Definitely a close race!!!
Next time get your facts straight even if your point is not valid. Spezza has 11 points all the while playing considerably less than Kovachuk.

More ice time means more points.

south-sentral is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 06:45 PM
  #31
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,194
vCash: 500
OK these threads are getting old already. Kovalchuk is incredibly fantastic...and will only get better. I get the point.

Takeo is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 07:12 PM
  #32
Pachoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Next time get your facts straight even if your point is not valid. Spezza has 11 points all the while playing considerably less than Kovachuk.

More ice time means more points.
Hey Genius, check when I posted that. When I posted it, Spezza HAD 7 points.

Oh sure Spezza has 11 points now, but Kovalchuk has 27 now.

The gap continues to grow and grow.

And sure Kovalchuk gets more minutes but does he get to play on a line as talented as Spezza does? Not even close.

And even if you prorate Ilya's Kovalchuk to be the same as Spezza (even though he is surrounded by far lesser talent than Spezza is), he would have 16 points to Spezza's 11.

Pachoo is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 08:55 PM
  #33
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Kovalchuk has earned his minutes, whereas Spezza is not. The minutes arguement is irrellivent, since Spezza doesn't earn the minutes like Kovalchuk does. Why? Because he isn't nearly as good!

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 09:11 PM
  #34
Bobby Orr's Knees
Registered User
 
Bobby Orr's Knees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where it hurts most
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Next time get your facts straight even if your point is not valid. Spezza has 11 points all the while playing considerably less than Kovachuk.

More ice time means more points.
Dude, you can't really be this ... slow. Spezza HAD 7 points to Kovalchuk's 20 points when the post was written. Since the item was posted, both Kovy & Jason scored more points. Duh!

As to your more ice time means more points comment:

- More ice time means more RESPONSIBILITY:
- Ice time has to be earned.
- Ice time doesn't guarantee points.
- Quality of talent around you is as important as ice time. Ever thought that Kovalchuk would have more assists if somebody could finish? And more goals if somebody could set him up?
- More ice time also means being worn out, being more succeptible to injury and all that.

Why are you so blind to all these obvious things?

Bobby Orr's Knees is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 09:47 PM
  #35
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,317
vCash: 500
15 goals, 12 assists, 27 points in 21 games. Unbelievable.

However, I do expect him to slow down, a la Marian Gaborik last season.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 09:47 PM
  #36
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
anyone else wonder what kind of numbers kovalchuk would be putting up if it was 1986?



horrible numbers......he'd be 3 years old

Vatican Roulette is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 10:12 PM
  #37
Pachoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Exactly. A REASON Spezza has so little playing time is because of his uninspired play early on this season:

"Jason Spezza isn't happy with his play. And neither is Sens coach Jacques Martin. Spezza played a season low 9:39 in a 2-1 loss to Buffalo on Nov. 17. "Jason is probably a reflection of the team. He's not played as well and he knows that," Martin told the Ottawa Sun Nov. 20. "We've had some meetings with him. He's a young player who needs to get better. He's got a lot of skill and he's finding out what he can and cannot do at this level." "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=ott

Don't hate on Kovalchuk because he is actually EARNING his playing time.

And is it surprising that Spezza has scored some goals? He plays on a line with Bonk and Alfredsson afterall..two VERY good setup guys. Kovalchuk has no one on his line of that level at helping to create a play.

Pachoo is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
  #38
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,396
vCash: 500
There was a really good, nicely balanced article on Kovalchuk in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated. An interesting quote was from Blue Jackets GM Doug McLean, who called Kovalchuk "the Bobby Hull of his era". I'd never thought of that comparison before but after hearing it I can see where it comes from.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
11-21-2003, 10:26 PM
  #39
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
There was a really good, nicely balanced article on Kovalchuk in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated. An interesting quote was from Blue Jackets GM Doug McLean, who called Kovalchuk "the Bobby Hull of his era". I'd never thought of that comparison before but after hearing it I can see where it comes from.
Bobby Hull, good comparison, infact if this WHA gets off the ground it could turn out even better

kruezer is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 12:44 AM
  #40
CSKA
Registered User
 
CSKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Kovalchuk has earned his minutes, whereas Spezza is not. The minutes arguement is irrellivent, since Spezza doesn't earn the minutes like Kovalchuk does. Why? Because he isn't nearly as good!

THATS THE POINT !!!

CSKA is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 05:26 AM
  #41
TelperiŽn
Registered User
 
TelperiŽn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Country: England
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
horrible numbers......he'd be 3 years old
OMG!! Damn you! You just made me choke on my milk.

On another note, I'm am not getting into this argument. I like Spezza and Kovalchuk.

TelperiŽn is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 12:10 PM
  #42
south-sentral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dirtyy South
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Kovalchuk has earned his minutes, whereas Spezza is not. The minutes arguement is irrellivent, since Spezza doesn't earn the minutes like Kovalchuk does. Why? Because he isn't nearly as good!
Spezza alread earned his right to play in Ottawa full-time. So i don't where this earning crap is coming from. Kovachuk is the biggest offensive threat in Atl whereas Spezza has to stay behind Alfie, Hossa, havlat, bonk...that's a lot of puck sharing going along.

Pachoo, you are misinformed yet again. spezza does not play on a line with Bonk or Alfie. He gets shuffled around a lot before he has any time to develop a serious chemistry with his linemates.

south-sentral is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 02:39 PM
  #43
Dr_Chimera*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: THE Underground Lair
Posts: 5,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Uuh.. Spezza is a rookie, Kovalchuk is in his 3rd year. If you want to compare stats, take Kovalchuk's rookie stats and compare those to the current numbers Spezza is recording.
Well, Ilya was 18 as a rookie

Dr_Chimera* is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 03:56 PM
  #44
Chelis Chili
Registered User
 
Chelis Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: Greece
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Chimera
Well, Ilya was 18 as a rookie
Correct ...and he scored 01/02 51 points in 65 games!

and Spezza?

Chelis Chili is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.